Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

Mujaji posted:

I have a Hp Micro server N54l with WHS2011 running my XBMC MySQL server and that works. Ideally I want a XBMC to run on the server as well so it can check for library updates and get sickbeard notifications because its always going to be on, but the server doesn't have a sound or video card.
I know this is a stretch but is there any way to run XBMC in this kind of environment if all you want to use it for is library updates?

I know other computers can handle updates. But my Revo 3610 becomes pretty unresponsive when it checks for updates and I would like to turn it off when not using it.

I do this. My server runs an instance of XBMC so all my other computers have the libraries updated when I turn them on. I connect to it remotely if I need to do anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
How do you guys find the transcoding of 1080p content with Plex? How powerful of a computer do you need to make it "click and play" like XBMC?

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
There's nothing like OpenELEC for Plex is there? I see there's a RasPlex for Pi's, but nothing for anything else.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
How does one get a Raspberry Pi with OpenELEC to recognize a thumb drive that's plugged into it? A message pops up that says it sees it but then I can't find it in my files view. Any ideas?

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

YouTuber posted:

Add source from the File Browser?

Doesn't show up there. It's confusing.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

YouTuber posted:

Is the thumb drive formatted? If it isn't format it to NTFS using a different computer. OpenElec is designed to automount removable drives like that. Also I logged in to my open Rpi OpenElec and found I can't use fdisk -l or anything to list poo poo so mounting it by hand and editing the fstab in the Command Line is probably out of the question.

It was formatted NTFS and had videos on it. I fortmatted it as FAT32 and loaded the movies back on and same thing: when I plug it in, I get a system message showing that it recognizes it, but I can't find it!

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

jonathan posted:

Just FYI naming convention was changed starting beta 1 for tagging 3D content. 3dhsbs and 3dhou don't work anymore. Its now "3D SBS" and "3D TAB" (top and bottom) and variants of the above.

Can anyone tell me how to make a main menu item for 3D movies ? I have all my 3D titles in a separate directory. I'm using beta 2 and aeon NOx as a skin. Not sure if a custom main menu item is how to do it or a smart list.

So how does that work, I'll have to rename my folders as Whatever.Movie.2014.3D SBS.BluRay.1080p.x264-WHATEVER or will Whatever.Movie.2014.3D.SBS.BluRay.1080p.x264-WHATEVER work too?

Do you process meta data manually or just have XBMC scrape it? I use EMM and just created a 3D genre tag for my 3D movie so I just browse by genres then choose 3D.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Raspberry Pi runs like crap with XBMC. I mean, it's good if you're in a pinch or have one lying around and will use it occasionally, but for everyday use, you'll want something more powerful.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

KrautHedge posted:

That isn't true at all. The only issue I had with mine was the UI being a bit slow but they fixed that a while ago with the newclock3 patches(gotham). I've had zero issues with playback

I should try it again because my complaint with it was the painfully slow UI.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Anyone know where the "Suspend" option went from OpenELEC's power menu? Seems to be just shut down, custom timer, reboot, but no suspend option anymore. Running latest version with Confluence skin.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Even after changing to advanced and expert, for whatever reason "Suspend function" is grayed out and I can't change it from "Shutdown" to anything else. Very weird.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Running 3.95.4 from a USB stick on a Zotac AD10. I have three and have the problem on all. Did a fresh install and same problem.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Now that OpenELEC doesn't allow you to suspend the computer when you're running from a USB stick or SD card, what are my options for CHEAP internal storage for my AD10s?

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

Le0 posted:

This sounds awesome I'm going to give it a try. I always wanted something like that and no one told me it existed :catstare:
EDIT: I have a Zotac and on it I have openelec however I noticed I'm still on Frodo. What version of Openelec do you guys use to stay up to date?

It won't auto download/update to the Gotham beta through OE, you'll have to download the latest release from the website and do a manual update. Once you've manually updated to Gotham, then you can resume auto updating through OE with each release.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Any way for a Canadian to buy a Fire TV? I feel left out. :(

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

When I was using OpenElec from a reasonably fast USB stick, it used to boot in like 10 seconds. I don't see why anyone would use sleep mode. That was on an i3 machine though. If it took five minutes to boot on some low-power machine, I could see the problem.

Because the computer is hidden away behind the TV and when it's shut off you can't turn it on from the remote control but when the computer's asleep you can wake it up with the remote?

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

r0ck0 posted:

Has anyone seen a problem with 3D movies in SBS mode showing the subtitles on both sides of the screen? I found this post but no fixes. I'm running the windows version of xbmc.

https://github.com/OpenELEC/OpenELEC.tv/issues/2969

Yes. I also watched a movie recently and I couldn't get the subtitles to disappear. That may have been the movie though.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
I want something new to play around with but think I'll wait for Android TV. If it can install the apps currently available in the app store and not require its own separate store, it should be the all-in-one box everyone's been waiting for, especially with Amazon Instant Video for Android on the way. Amazon, Netflix, Hulu, Plex, XBMC.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
I wasn't talking about one of the hundreds of Android boxes and sticks you can buy on AliExpress with a stupid air mouse, but rather a proper box my parents could go into a Best Buy and purchase. The FireTV also requires too much fuckery for them.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
I believe you can do that with refocus.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

Don Lapre posted:

Wait for actual android tv devices.

This.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Is anyone else having trouble with the USTVNow addon? I created a brand new free account, added the info, and when I launch the addon, I get a list of all the channels (rather than just the hanful that I should have access to) and none of them load. This has been going on for at least a month now.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
People with the ADT-1 got XBMC running on it months ago.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
So how are apps on the Nexus Player going to work? Does every app that plays video need to update to support the Android TV or will you be able to install any video app and use it on the device? If it's the former I imagine it could be a long time (if ever) before some apps update to support it. I'm mainly concerned with UFC.tv since I own two Rokus for the service and want to abandon them ASAP.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

Gozinbulx posted:

It can do netflix just fine, its just that its the tablet/phone Netflix app which is pretty remote unfriendly. A small keyboard/mouse combo would be nice. The remote though should have a thingk where you activate the mouse and move it with the directional keys (lovely, I know, but at least it CAN).

XBMC is XBMC. Yeah don't use the one it come with (probably), just uninstall it and download the latest one from xbmc.org. 5 minutes tops.

I'm telling you, these boxes are the poo poo.

Also its no small thing to me that you can play all kinds of cool games (especially with an air mouse) but no one seems to care about that until Google/Amazon puts one out than suddenly every flips out about what a cool idea it is "Take my my money please" poo poo.

Yeah I got a chip on my shoulder.

Isn't the Netflix app crippled to 480p on these Android boxes? That would be a deal breaker for some people. The air mouse does it for me.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

Gozinbulx posted:

Also, Netflix is definitely not stuck on 480p.

So do these Android boxes run a special Netflix app unique to them or is it just the tablet version of the app from the Play Store?

I noticed the Netflix website says:

quote:

Resolution: Android tablets currently support streaming in 480p. Netflix HD playback is available on select KitKat (Android OS 4.4) based devices.

Or are these Android boxes some of the select KitKat devices? From my Googling it seems that the Android boxes are locked to 480p.

wolfbiker fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Oct 17, 2014

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Why keep them with the rest of your videos that you want to be scanned and added to the library? Anything I have that isn't added to the library but I want to be able to watch, I add the folder as a source and set it to none.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Looks neat. I like that it has a remote and a TV interface and doesn't require me to use my phone. And that it's cheap like the Chromecast and not overpriced like the Roku Stick which is garbage.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

Bigsteve posted:

Whats teh current go to android box for running XBMC? Been looking at the Amazon fire but dont like how you have to run XBMC through the settings menu.

Also is playback smooth? Currntly running it on an HTPC and want everything to be identical really.

A real Android TV box will be out in a couple of weeks, Google's Nexus Player. Wait for that.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

Gozinbulx posted:

I disagree.

I've had an awesome experience with an RK3188-based box known as the CS968. A user here recently bought 2 Amlogic S808-based boxes known as the M8 and also seems to have a great experience with it. I just bought one too to test it out and indeed it kicks as (and has a slightly better GPU if you wanna use it for gaming)

These things run legit smooth as hell and decode any 1080p 8 gig monster file you can throw at it.

Conclusion: Any android TV box running a quad core processor (RK3188 or S802). No dual core boxes!

I wrote this a couple pages back but you didn't respond:

-----------------

Gozinbulx posted:

Also, Netflix is definitely not stuck on 480p.

So do these Android boxes run a special Netflix app unique to them or is it just the tablet version of the app from the Play Store?

I noticed the Netflix website says:

quote:

Resolution: Android tablets currently support streaming in 480p. Netflix HD playback is available on select KitKat (Android OS 4.4) based devices.

Or are these Android boxes some of the select KitKat devices? From my Googling it seems that the Android boxes are locked to 480p.

-----------------

Everything I've read on forums from owners of these devices says that these Android boxes are stuck on 480p because it's essentially just running the phone/tablet version of the app which according to Neflix is 480p.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Performance of video will depend on your router, your home, other devices that could cause interference, etc. I'm sure some people are streaming 1080p fine but that doesn't mean you'll be able to. Only way to know for sure is to buy one and cross your fingers.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

Bonzo posted:

Thanks. Well I tried to order one but I'm in Canada so Amazon is cock blocking me.

Nexus Player has worked great for me with Kodi playing videos over WiFi. Ordered a second one this morning.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
The stock Confluence skin let's you pin a few video add-ons.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
What will you be using it for? Just XBMC? A NUC is what everyone seems to recommend for a real HTPC. I think the Fire TV requires a lot of fuckery to get XBMC on there. A Fire TV is good if you have time to screw with it, you require an Ethernet port, and you're not looking to spend much money.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
What's all this stuff I read about Fire TVs with old firmware, not updating to the latest version, etc.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Is anyone here using USTVNow with Kodi? I haven't been able to get it to work for many months. The plugin used to just display the big network channels the free account should have access to but now it displays all channels but I can't view any of them.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Those Android boxes are lovely and those illegal streaming sites and addons are lovely too. You will not get a Roku-like experience with either.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
A computer. That's why I've kept my Zotac AD10 hooked up to my projector, and because Android can't switch framerates.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

KKKLIP ART posted:

so if I am using a FireTV, which just tries to spit everything out at 60FPS, how could I navigate into the settings to do this?

Don't think you can, Android doesn't support frame rate switching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Does your TV even support 24hz?