Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Note on the IR receivers. You need to get one that accepts RC6 commands. Lots of IR/remote combos are not RC6 compliant and the receiver will only work with the included remote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

hell yeah

Looks like there's a nice batch of systems supported right from the start thanks to the libretro project.

So do these play completely inside XBMC?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

plester1 posted:

I'm trying to make The Ultimate Badass Living Room PC for both gaming and XBMC. Is there a good option for getting XBMC and Steam Big Picture Mode integrated? It would be awesome if I could go back and forth with just the remote and game controller, without needing a mouse and keyboard for switching between the two.

If you have a harmony remote you can use this tutorial and adapt it to whatever applications you want to use.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=86738

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

To use the emulator poo poo we need a windows compiled xbmc with support. Hopefully someone posts one soon.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

to reply again the developer posted a video showing it in action

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Moh67r0iBGA

Is there a windows build compiled anywhere?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

I dont know why Microsoft hasn't embraced the xbox 360 controller more. Imagine being able to move the mouse cursor with a thumb stick and use the keyboard attachment. It would be perfect for gaming on your TV.

edit: apparently there is 3rd party software to do this.

edit2: chatpad only works on wired controllers

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Feb 26, 2013

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Is binary support coming in xbmc 13?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

outlier posted:

Got an odd XBMC install situation:

We've been using Boxee for years on a laptop hooked up to the TV, which has worked well for us. Following Boxee's gradual retreat from non-settops and the steady degradation of the software, we're ready to jump ship. So I downloaded XMBC (v12 Frodo) for Mac.

However, the downloaded app has a slash icon through it. If you try and run it, you get the system message "This software won't run on this Mac". Which is odd because the requirements are an Intel Mac running 10.6 or later and the laptop is a dual USB Intel Mac running 10.6.8.

Have I missed some requirement here?

Did you download the 64bit or 32bit version? You may need the 32bit version. There is an x86_64.dmg and an x86.dmg. Try the link that just says OSX

http://xbmc.org/download/

edit: also there is no Dual USB Intel mac, i mean they do have dual USB but DUAL USB is used to refer to one of the ibooks.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Are you using wireless or hard wire?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

tarepanda posted:

I have a Zotac AD10 (Windows 7, so I can run emulators) running the Frodo RC and it's a piece of crap. I haven't used it as a media center since I bought it, but when I went to try it last night, it was just an exercise in frustration. My movies are all jerky -- around 1 fps -- and the audio doesn't work at all.

I asked about the audio before and tried the passthrough solution someone suggested but it didn't help.

I've also tried both fullscreen window and true fullscreen -- no difference.

Any ideas?

There is something wrong with your install. I ran wmc doing 2 channel dvr and xbmc at the same time and 1080p was flawless.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

thebushcommander posted:

So maybe someone can recommend a small, inexpensive device I can use as a dedicated XBMC box? I don't really want to use my PC connected to my TV, I'd rather have something dedicated. Needs to be able to run 1080P content flawlessly and have built in Gigabit Ethernet, not wireless really needed. Don't really care what OS I run on it. I was using a Asus Transformer Infinity for a little while that worked fine, but it's my understanding most of the Android Stick things are pretty lovely and of course it's just wireless which I don't want.

Zotac AD10/12

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

IUG posted:

Is there a way to make a profile that doesn't use the advancedsettings.xml file? In my house I have a network setup with a SQL server. However, I want to take my Zotac mini PC to a friend's house with a thumb drive loaded up with content. I made a new profile, and set the profile to have it's own media. However, it still connects to my database and shows that content.

I want to pre-load that profile with the contents of the thumbdrive only, to make sure it works, as they're curious about a HTPC setup. But I don't want the contents of my thumbdrive to be written to the server, as it's temporary only.
Are you using windows? If so then a different user account should have its own xbmc setup.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

When are they going to merge emulator support?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Does ffmpeg1.2 mean anything to the common person?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Le0 posted:

After your post I remembered something, in my box from my provider I actually have a small card in it that I guess let's my use the special channels I bought. How would I go about using this with a tuner?

I think cablecard requires that you use windows media center and a cablecard tuner.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Composite? even my grandparents tv has hdmi.

If you didn't need composite id recommend a zotac adxx

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Gozinbulx posted:

Can someone just flat out tell me if my idea makes any sense?

I know the thing to do is have a NAS and then set it up as a share and have an HTPC (with xbmc) pointed at that share and viola.

But, I don't feel like having two computers in my house for the sole purpose of watching stuff so..

Is it possible to have an appropriately powerful pc (with enough RAM and an HD decoding graphics card) running WSH11 (with drive pooling of several HDs to make one huge HD) AND run XMBC off that same computer? Baically, connect the NAS to the TV directly (via HDMI out) and run XMBC right there on the same WSH11 serving as a nas?

Is this feasible? Is it dumb?

Get a nas box instead of an entire computer.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Rutibex posted:

That converter looks kind of irritating to use; it needs it's own power supply and apparently from the reviews it's kind of crap shot as to what it will support. This is what I am after: a small, simple, cheap box with a composite out and some USB ports to play SNES games or maybe some N64/PS1 and watch movie files. Does anyone have experience with such things? I know they exist there are tons of them on Amazon but they all look kind of flimsy. Is there anything better than the OUYA or Gbox that I linked earlier?

I need it to be cheap and simple, I'm looking to set up a bunch for some kids.

There is no reason for manufacturers to spend the money to support composite. How about the wii?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

FISHMANPET posted:

Realtalk, the Raspberry Pi has Composite out, what's wrong with that? For under $50 you should be able to assemble a complete kit.

Doubt the pi is fast enough for ps1/n64 emulation.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Rutibex posted:

I have 3 nephews and 2 nieces that love to play on my old modded Xbox and browse through the hundrads of thousands of ROMs whenever I come visit. They each have an old TV in their room. I would like to make each of them a customized "console" so that they can each have one for christmas. Cool splash screens/menus/backgrounds just for them, full collections of all the old games, etc. Getting a hold of 5 original xboxs is a pain so I figured I'd look into these android box things; I was just hoping someone had experience with them. I don't want to buy 6 (one for me too :v:) of something that's total crap.

Wii's have the distinct disadvantage of not coming with a full collection of games and don't support all the games for NES/SNES/N64 and don't support PS1/Atari 2600/Gameboy at all. I'm also not sure about this but I don't think they play video files.

Then you are gonna have to build a loving htpc for each of them and find a video card that still has composite out.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

The Gunslinger posted:

I just got a Harmony Smart Control to replace an aging Harmony 700, did you have to do any special configuration for extra buttons in XBMC or did everything with the Zotac AD10 device in the Harmony software? Also I really wish this thing was backlit, bummer :(

If you set it up as a Zotac AD10 device you have to install the IR drivers off zotacs website. Otherwise set it up as a Windows media center remote. (or it may be the other way around).

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Le0 posted:

Guys I need some advice.

So now my Harmony remote works fine with my Zotac AD12. The only thing I need to setup is how to turn it on/off.
What is the method used generally to do that?

Also I'd be looking to add some emulator to this Zotac, any recommendation here? is it even possible?

Does the original remote work with on/off? If so just learn the command.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

I thought the emulator branch was supposed to be part of Gotham.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Godinster posted:

Has anyone run into the issue of XBMC crashing when a PC wakes up from sleep mode? Most of the stuff I've found on the XBMC forums are specific to Zotac AD10 boxes but unfortunately my setup is a custom-built one and there seems to be no solid information on it and asking a question there just gets some jerk linking to AD10 information.

I'm running Windows 7 with the Frodo version of XBMC. No idea if the hardware matters but it's a 60" Samsung Plasma with an Onkyo receiver plugged into my HTPC [650 Ti card, Intel Pentium i3-3220]

It happens virtually every time I pull the computer of out of sleep. It's the standard "XBMC has stopped working" message.

Yes, i was having this problem (on an ad10). I ended up moving to openelec and have never had a problem since.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Godinster posted:

Ugh I'd rather avoid Linux and stick to Windows but if that's a solution I'll consider it I guess.
Are you doing anything with it other than XBMC? if not then with openelec you never see linux.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

IUG posted:

So I just moved to a new house, and for some reason I'm having problems with my setup. On the local file server I can fire up the library without a problem. But on my laptop and my HTPC it freezes at the XBMC logo. I think the problem is with the SQL server and a new Linksys router, as the computers can access the movie files and play them without a problem via VLC.

So I have one question before I try to fix that tonight. Is SQL and SMB sharing still the way to go? I know there's some new Zeroconf thing, but I don't know a thing about that. I figure I might as well start fresh if the current install is having a problem, or see if I should figure out if my router isn't letting the SQL information pass through the network.

When you setup SQL you have to specify the ip address inside the xml file. Did this change with your new router?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Le0 posted:

Does anyone uses a logitech harmony remote to command an AD10 Zbox?

Currently my setup of the harmony is the following:

Zotac AD10 device
MCE Remote device
MCE keyboard device

I did that because the only way, that I found, to power on the AD10 with the remote is to use the proper remote or learn the command but that didn't seem to work. Then the MCE remote to browse etc... on XBMC and I wanted to add the keyboard to add special command like W to set to watched, a button to update library etc...

However the MCE Keyboard device does not seem to work for some reason.

Inputs would be great if anyone has the same setup

The IR codes the ad10 accepts change depending on if you have the zotac IR drivers installed or not.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Isn't the whole point of the server that its running all the time.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

IUG posted:

Okay, the other thing is that it's noisy as gently caress in my office. It's one of those Antec 800 cases with a 200m case. I don't want to turn it on and leave it on 24/7 for the ~1 hour of TV I watch a day that isn't Netflix. If I did watch a lot of the media stored on it, I also live in CT, which has the 4th most expensive electricity costs (I just looked it up, we were the second highest after Hawaii for a while).

I just have a few reasons why I want to not keep the fileserver not running all the time, and the answer is "XBMC isn't designed that way" I guess.

I dont know if you do anything else with this thing, but you should see about selling it and just getting something like a synology NAS. Uses minimal power and can run sql servers and poo poo.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Biggest human being Ever posted:

I'm looking for a new XBMC PC, it is to stream 1080p movies from my home server and also be snappy and responsive when in the menus, are there any in that list that I should avoid?

I like that, unlike NUCs, the Zboxes come with a remote, integrated wifi and support for 2.5 inch drives. I'd like to give Openelec a go but also have a good enough system to run Windows 8 in case Openelec doesn't work out.

Just get the AD12 but keep in mind the built in wifi is rear end. So be prepared to repalce the micro pci card it comes with.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

The Gunslinger posted:

Conversely I've had a ton of problems with IR wake on 2 different AD10/AD12 units and Zotac support is useless. Thankfully they use so little power and are so quiet that you can just leave them idling most of the time, I think it's a whole extra buck on my power bill.

13w idle, 26w load, like keeping a couple fluorescent bulbs turned on.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Biggest human being Ever posted:

My first afternoon with the AD12 has been a bit sobering, as I have had numerous small issues with it:

-on of the the rubber screws its standing on is a bit too short, meaning it's standing on just three of the screws and wobbles when you push down on it
-WLAN is too slow to stream 1080p
-the menus are, when using the remote control, a bit sluggish
-boot times are pretty long, 40+ seconds (openelec on USB stick)
-FAN is pretty loud

On the plus side, it does 1080p movies without stuttering and was pretty cheap.

I've only spent an afternoon with it but now I kinda wish I had waited for the Haswell NUCs to become available, oh well, live and learn.

On the AD10 you can adjust when the fan comes on in the bios. I raised the minimum temperature and my noises went away.

You can replace the WLAN with a better card and get better performance.

Make sure you have the right screws in the right holes, on the AD10 they are not all the same.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

bam thwok posted:

Does anyone know of a way to get side-by-side 3d MKV rips to display only the left-eye/right-eye in XBMC? I got VLC to do it by manually cropping and changing the aspect ratio, but surely there's a more convenient way?

My 3dTV lets me do this.

The newest XBMC13 might also.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Gozinbulx posted:

Speaking of the PVR setup, I'm getting confused on how to implement a HD Homerun with XBMC. When you read the article about using the add-on made specifically for it, it mentioned that the article is outdated because Frodo's built in PVR function has/will eventually supplant it.

What is the more contemporary, best way to use an HD homerun with XBMC?

Which HDHomerun and what tvsource.

XBMC does not care that you have an HDHomerun. It interfaces with a backend which is what interfaces with the hdhomerun. XBMC doesn't talk to the hdhomerun directly.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

There is also a WMC backend now.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=PVR/Backend/ServerWMC

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Gozinbulx posted:

I uninstalled NextPVR last night. What a loving nightmare.

For all this bullshit about backends and frontends, the best and easiest way to watch the channels from my HD Homerun is through their own QuickTV program, which is also the only god damned program thats gotten the channel listing right. For everything else I either need to use MS's EPG or a paid subscribed one or friggin XMLTV. What a disaster.

I'm gonna give WMC as a backend a shot, but i'm not keeping my hopes up.

Why dont you just use WMC instead of loving with the poo poo beta PVR in XBMC.

Download http://xbmcwmc.teknowebworks.com/ this and install it. Works on 7 and 8. Gives you an XBMC link in WMC. When you click it it closes WMC and opens XBMC, when you exist XBMC it relaunches WMC.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Naffer posted:

XBMC's handling of passthrough (at least on windows) is absolutely awesome. I have a bizarre DisplayPort digital audio device that acts as a 2-channel device and so doesn't support multichannel PCM, but if I tell XBMC that it's an optical port it'll not only pass-through DTS and DD, but will transcode 5-channel AAC (which my receiver doesn't support) to DD instead of outputting PCM so that I don't lose the non-stereo channels.

Whats awesome is XBMC will even transcode DTS to DD5.1 if your poo poo only supoprts DD5.1

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

vwman18 posted:

I've been using this for over a year, works pretty good. My only issue is that when exiting XBMC, WMC often isn't given focus/returned to the forefront when it comes back. This prevents the remote from working until I grab a keyboard and click on the WMC interface.

Press the guide button once or twice and it will give WMC focus.

In fact a double tap of the guide button on your remote will launch WMC from anywhere in windows. If you are already in WMC it will give WMC focus.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

EC posted:

I haven't messed with it, but I saw on the XBMC twitter feed that there's a new Netflix add-on.

http://lifehacker.com/netflixbmc-brings-a-better-remote-controlled-netflix-t-1484237283

Still looks terrible. Just buy a $29 roku for netflix/amazon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Gozinbulx posted:

While your here, Lapre, what do you recommend for my father in law who has a non HDTV (ie needs to have yellow-white-red RCA output) so he can watch streaming sutff? I really really want to set it up so he can surf naxi-x and mash up an other places full of free stuff. The roku seems like it has very few option that offer free content.

Not having HDMI really screws up your options for things. A hacked wii or PS3 maybe with showtime media center? Roku really does need paid services to be worthwhile. Does navi-x work with plex? You could do that on a roku maybe. I actually have a friend with the same delima, no hdtv. Hes using a hacked first gen appletv right now.