Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
All of my movies are dumped into one directory. I do movie.name.(year).resolutoin.source.format.ext So debbie.does.dallas.2.(2014).4k.bluray.x264.mkv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Richard M Nixon posted:

I have an HTPC in my living room running Linux + XBMC frontend and I'd like to be able to watch shows in another room. What's a good, cheap set-top box or stick that will be able to access all the media from my network share and play it?

Androidtv/firetv/firetvstick

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

I dont know how much stuff you are adding at a time but updating a few items takes about zero time.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

wolfbiker posted:

I run an instance of XBMC on my server so the TV shows are always up to date when we sit down on the couch.

If you are using sickbeard you can just have it notify XBMC to update after a download.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Bigass Moth posted:

Will upgrading to the newest version of Kodi remove all my installed plugins and settings?

Not if you are already on kodi

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you didn't sell off your ATV2 2 years ago for $200+ i feel bad for you.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

A synology can use a usb wifi adapter to either connect to a wireless network, or it can actually be your wireless router or access point

https://www.synology.com/en-us/knowledgebase/faq/427

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

hdhomerun kodi plugin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kF80LjvwDxc

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

YouTuber posted:

That looks great. I'm just wondering how it would run under a low powered device like Raspberry Pi and the low end Android boxes.

One of the hdhomeruns transcodes internally to h264

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

VERTiG0 posted:

I still use a Boxee Box to play media over my network. It's time to change that. Should I just get a Nexus Player or wait for the Razer Forge for the same money?

There is a sealed ADT1 for $120 on ebay right now, has ethernet, full size usb, and a controller

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SEALED-ADT-1-Google-Android-TV-with-Developer-Cable-/301580905936?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item46379f6dd0

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Apparently google really isn't updating the adt1 past 5.0.2. Lame

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Vykk.Draygo posted:

What do I have to do to get Kodi on a Fire TV Stick to use my MySQL Kodi database?

Can you not access the file system?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I don't suppose there is a way to have Kodi running in the background just enough that the library can still update? I'm going to be using my Fire TV Stick as my primary media device but I don't want to have to refresh the library and wait five minutes every time I open Kodi on it if Kodi could be updating the library on my PC all the time. Does this question make any sense?

edit: I know I could just leave Kodi minimized on the PC but I'm wondering if there is a better way.

Five minutes? It takes Kodi like 5 seconds to scan on startup for me.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Vykk.Draygo posted:

On a low power device like the FTS, scanning a network share?

On a ADT1 and on my current chromebox and when i had an Zotac AD10 with an amd e350. Unless you are adding tons of poo poo between times you launch it it should be pretty quick.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

codo27 posted:

I always wished there was a way I could set up a channel on TV to just shuffle play episodes from a few of my favorite shows. I just tried making a smart playlist but it seems to just play through them in order which is no good. Is there a way to do this?

Also, Milkman, dont go back to AMD junk

http://www.howtogeek.com/195099/how-to-recreate-the-channel-surfing-experience-on-xbmc/

Pseudo tv does this.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

You need to set kodi to whatever setting your tv is set too. If you have your tv set to full range set kodi to full range. If you have your tv set to limited set kodi to limited.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

jonathan posted:

yeah holy loving hell that limited range vs full range rgb poo poo gets confusing. I feel like I'd need weed or ritalin to be able to sit down and figure out the lectures on it vs my hardware.

Here is how you figure it out

Is your tv set to full range, if so set kodi to full range

is your tv set to limited rage, if so set kodi to limited range.

TomR posted:

I did that. Before everything was full, but when I was able to set Kodi to limited I set both TV and Kodi. Overall the picture looks better because the video files don't need to be converted and for whatever reason the TV will display darker blacks. Just the letter boxes aren't as dark as the black in actual video.

Make sure you havn't messed with kodis contrast/brightness setting. They should both be at default 50.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

TomR posted:

I didn't know Kodi had those controls. What menu are they in?

While watching a video go to where you can adjust audio and poo poo, one of them is video.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Well leave them at 50 lol. They are useful on lovely tv's that cant adjust properly but other than that leave them alone.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

jonathan posted:

I use an Optoma HD33 projector and I don't think it has that setting, but also doesn't tell you what it's set to (or it automatically senses it I am not sure) then I have it being driven by an Onkyo txnr818 which tries to do a bunch of video processing which I have disabled. Then the source is kodi/plex running on a nexus player which I don't even think gives me the option, so I have to guess the source, receiver and projector. I think it's set correctly.

You have a setting under "image" called "color space"

That is where your setting is. two of the options are RGB 16-235 (limited) and RGB 0-255 (full range)

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Keito posted:

If Kodi gets set to limited range then blacks get turned to a shade of gray on my TV, so my advice would be to use the full range unless that looks like poo poo.

If your TV/projector supports the full RGB range and it gets output correctly I don't know why anyone would go out of their way to limit the colorspace.

Your content is all done in limited range. Full range actually has to modify the video. If your blacks turn gray then it's not calibrated or you have a bad TV.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

codo27 posted:

Figure this is as good a place to post as any. Someone brought me a Chromebox to put Kodi on for them, "Cool, a new toy!" I thought. The last person they sent it to had put OpenElec on it and it was badly outdated. I thought I'd start fresh from the stock OS, but my god what an awful time I'm having trying to get there. I made USB recovery media with google's tool, I run through all the steps, I remove the media and when it restarts I get nowhere. Says booting from hard disk, couple lines of text come up below it and then nothing. Black screen. I made a SD recovery too and tried that, same thing. When I enter recovery again, it says ChromeOS damaged or missing. Also pressing escape doesn't work for me to enter the boot menu, though it did before. What should my next step be? Whats the best option for Kodi on this device? Asus CN60, celeron based.

Should be pretty simple.

http://kodi.wiki/view/chromebox

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

How well does Kodi run on an Apple TV 4K? I'm getting pretty sick of my crappy Mi Box and I'm not sure if I want to get a shield.

Why would you bother installing xcode, signing an app, sideloading and all that poo poo

when you can just install it right on the shield and let it update through the play store.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Its slowly rolling out so dont be surprised if its not available yet for you.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Why would you not use nfs filthy casual

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

whsa posted:

So the spectre/meltdown patches for server 2012 seem to have caused regular bsods to occur on my N54L (16gb ram, 4 largish drives, ssd for os).

I'm thinking about changing OS. I run sabnzbd, radarr, sonarr, plex and smb to kodi on my shield tv, plus some windows and macos clients for backups.

I'm not scared of the command line though I only know basic incantations so would be looking at a guide. Up until now, windows server has been flawless, so I

Anyone able to point me in the right direction or make a flat out recommendation?

Thanks!

Xpenology

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Speaking of, I just upgraded my Xpenology to 6.whatever, which now natively supports Docker containers. I'm considering attempting to install Kodi on my NAS in order to receive the library push notifications from my downloaders (so we won't have to update the MySQL library manually on our actual Kodi box). Has anyone tried this?

If you are using sonarr it can just tell xbmc to run a scan when something downloads.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

I'm using sickrage, and yeah that's the idea but the Kodi box is usually off when something finishes downloading. Hence the idea of running a headless Kodi on the NAS itself (which is always on). Looks like someone has already put together a Docker image so I'll probably give this a shot this weekend.

Have kodi scan when it wakes up/turns on.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

It does but it takes several minutes.

Really? How many items do you have? Mine takes a few seconds to scan. Thats 4200 files in 268 folders.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Strange, I guess that's the real problem then. I'm not sure exactly how many items but probably around that size.

This has been happening for several years, across many versions of XBMC/Kodi, OpenElec on a Zbox and now a Shield. I've had the NAS pretty much that whole time, connected by ethernet so the speeds are fine. I'm using FTP, could that be the issue?

Yes, that is the issue lol. Use SMB or NFS. NFS is preferred but SMB is fine as well.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

whsa posted:

Thanks! Will update when I get it done. I have done xpenology on esxi before now but it was hacky as gently caress getting the drives working in raw mode and I ended up losing a lot of (easily replaced) data. I will put it on bare metal this time and see how it goes.

Make sure you use the boot image for the 15 and not 17 model. Lots more add-ons available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Huh, I'm on 15, maybe this is another easy mistake I made in the past. What am I missing out on? Any idea if it's easy to upgrade?

edit: Maybe you have it backwards: https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/7151-difference-ds916-ds3615xs-and-ds3617xs/?page=2 they're saying more packages for the 3615xs than the 3617xs.

Make sure you use the boot image for 15 instead of 17

So make sure you install it as a "3615xs" and not a "3617xs"

It sounds like you did it correctly.