Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Lowen SoDium posted:

You are probably going to have to find the app in Settings->apps and clear it's saved data or whatever they call it now.

Nothing for Kodi shows up in Settings > Apps, and I can't manually delete the org.xbmc.kodi folder using a file explorer either.

Weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

IUG posted:

I finally got off Sickbeard and upgraded to Sonarr (Sickrage didn't install after two attempts, so I gave up on that). I can't believe how much I was janitoring my library, and it seems like SOnarr can do everything for me. However, I was wondering what anyone else was using for notifications? I have Pushover for now, but it's a 7 day trial. Not that $5 a year is a big deal, but I was wondering if anyone had anything better.

I use Prowl to get notifications of grabs/downloads on my iPhone.

Also if anyone remembers MeediOS (started as myHPTC, then went paid with Meedio, then when that collapsed fans made an open source version), it's finally dead. The one or two holdouts can't keep the servers paid for anymore. RIP.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Is there a recommended stick/device that's not as expensive as a Shield? A friend of mine needs to replace his Acer Revo from several years ago. Right now he's just been using it for Kodi, but he'd also like easy access to Amazon and Netflix. If it works easily with his Harmony one, even better.

Are FireTV sticks good for this? I've been ignoring this stuff since I got a Shield.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Lowen SoDium posted:

FireTV sticks are good enough. They lag a little in menus, especially with the flashier skins, but video playback is fine.

I switched him to the new default skin this weekend and it seems fine.

The FireTVs are IR?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
That video is from 2011, Aeon has went through 10000000 iterations since then.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Before I go through the headache of restoring my Shield, anyone know of a way to manually delete files?

I want to install Kodi, but it crashes at startup every time. Uninstalling leaves some files in the Kodi dir, and I can't seem to delete them from a file browser. I've posted on both the Shield and Kodi forums and haven't really gotten a good answer.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I've tried XPlore and ES File Explorer and both refuse to delete the folder. If there's another file explorer I'll definitely check it out.

What do you mean by "built in SMB"? I've gone through the interface to uninstall it manually and (try to) clear the cache but it doesn't work.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I'm having trouble with Kodi on an Amazon TV. I can't access the local server, which is a Windows box. Kodi seems to be pulling a weird IP (192.168.49.1) that isn't even in the same subnet. Has anyone seen this?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I did some more research and apparently it's showing the up of the fire remote for some reason.

Still can't get it to see the server though. I've gone through the SMB wiki and it just instantly fails every time I try anything.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I spent like three hours trying to get Kodi to see the shares on a Win7 Pro box. There are a couple of different ways to go about it on the wiki and none of them worked for me. I think I'm going to try SPMC next? Failing that I have no idea what to do. :/

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

For whatever reason, I had to actually type in my hostname in order to get it to work because it wouldn't see it otherwise. Worth a try if you haven't already.

Yeah I've tried hostname and IP. :/

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I finally got around to resetting my shield. I used the backup add-on to make a backup, but didn't think about going from SPMC to Kodi Kyrpton. Hopefully that'll work, otherwise I'll lose all my watched stuff. :(

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

PraxxisParadoX posted:

There might be a plugin that syncs your watched status to https://trakt.tv. When you reinstall Kodi you can install the plugin and it should update everything again.

drat, I thought I had disabled Trakt awhile back but just logged into the website and everything is there. Nice!

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

SurgicalOntologist posted:

What's the current status of SPMC vs. Kodi anyway? I'm still on SPMC on all my devices, because I installed it on my Shield and wanted to be sure all my devices were on the same version to avoid MySQL issues. On my Chromebook (with Android apps) switching to SPMC actually fixed an annyoning bug where Kodi would restart after losing focus. So I'm sticking to SPMC for now even though that means I'm one major version behind. Curious where the community is at though.

The only thing I seem to be missing in Kodi 17.3 is the recommendations on the home screen, which never worked for me in SPMC anyway. The split was over some audio stuff though, but everything looks and sounds good to me so far.

Unrelated: I installed and setup CinemaVision for the first time today, and it's loving insane how easy it is. I went from 0 to a pretty simple sequence in about an hour. Play a movie > lights go to a color loop > trailer plays > lights dim > rating bumper plays > movie plays > lights go back up. There's all sorts of stuff you can do with it, though.

IUG posted:

Lucky you, I'm ripping all my DVDs (and my fianceé's) to Kodi. I had Arrested Development in the pile, and just finished the first disk of the second season. I checked Kodi afterwords, and it worked fine. So I guess something is wrong with your filenames. Here's what mine are:

• Arrested Development
    • Season 01
      • S01E01x02x03x04x05x06.iso
      • S01E07x08x09x10x11x12x13x14.iso
      • S01E15x16x17x18x19x20x21x22.iso
    • Season 02
      • S02E01x02x03x04x05x06.iso

Fixed. You can keep the folder structure but add the full thing to the ISO and make it a bit easier on yourself in the future.

vvv That too

EC fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jun 20, 2017

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Photex posted:

So I just had to retire my 1st Gen Fire TV Stick due to it just not keeping up with the latest updates, i'm seeing lots of alternating info (including the OP) about whether or not I can get Amazon Instant Video as an addon or even HBO Go.

The OP hasn't been updated in decades, trust nothing it says.

I spent some time getting the latest version of Kodi and trying some addons, so I'll try to refresh it soon.

But also: anyone that wants to do a new thread is welcome to.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
So I'm gonna make a new thread. Send me anything y'all think needs to be in it. Stuff like: remotes, hardware to run Kodi, your favorite add-ons and skins, FAQs, etc.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Speaking of, the Shield got google assistant today, and Kodi is saying v18 will have full support for voice control.

I set it up today and it works as advertised, but I don't have one of the new controllers with the always on mic so stuff like "rewind five seconds" doesn't work. Voice search is dramatically improved, though.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
There are add-ons that will automatically run the library update for you, or you can set it to run the update at startup. I’ve noticed the same thing, though, and it is annoying.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
That hue plugin works like a charm and was easy to setup (besides me having to good it to the back room and hit be bridge button). I wish I could do this on a global level on my shield.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
My Shield TV updated so I installed a Kodi v18 build, and now my screen is zoomed in so I can only see the top right when I set it to 1920x1080. If I go down to 1280x720 it's fine. The Shield is set to 1920x1080 so I'm not sure what else I can check...

Currently backing up the install so I can install a fresh copy.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

The Milkman posted:

Leave your hacks and config files at the door, friend. It's going to be alright.

Let go of all of it, life is good on this side

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Yeah I updated to 18 beta3 to test that out and it works well. I'd love to have the LazyTV playlist work, but when I add it to the home menu it's totally different content than the one in Kodi.

But it IS neat.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Is the person that runs the Kodi twitter like, 15 years old?

https://twitter.com/KodiTV/status/1081158140551413761

90% of their feed is dunking on people trying to pirate with Kodi, which is fine but seems like a waste of time to me, and stuff like this.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I had that problem with a buddy's server that was running some random version of Windows and the easiest thing I found was spending $20 and installing a NFS server: https://www.hanewin.net/nfs-e.htm

I've never clicked with Emby or Plex either, I just want Kodi to scrape metadata, so it worked out. My buddy seems to like it fine (I can tell because he hasn't called me and invited me for beers and "oh can you look at this for me real quick").

Edit: I'm rereading your post and this might not apply!

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
And if you're set on Kodi scraping it'll serve you well just to rename your files so it finds the correct stuff. I used an add on called "missing tv" or something like that to figure out what wasn't auto matched and just went through and manually changed everything. No lore problems when re-importing now.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Is it just Kodi or other video on the FireTV as well?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
It's pretty much the best streaming box out there, yeah. There are minor issues but overall it's been rock solid for me for like three or four years now.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I guess smart playlists could be used for this maybe? Like create one filtered in rating and only have that as an option in the menu? But it still seems like a pain the rear end.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Bonzo posted:

I love my OG Shield. The ads are a pain but I suppose it was inevitable. I believe there are lots of simple guide on how to launch directly into Plex/Kodi or just install a new launcher.

https://youtu.be/FgkSuCA6su4

I really like Wolf Launcher. I installed it months and months ago and haven't bothered to update it since, and it seems to work fine. I have it setup to be just a few columns/rows of icons and it's stupid easy. No ads, no auto-updating weird poo poo from apps that break.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I have the newest Shield and use Kodi for 4K/HDR stuff and it has no problems what so ever. Plex's interface is extremely annoying to me, and I haven't cared enough to try any of the other apps out there.

The one negative about the Shield is that one updated or the other introduced ads to the interface, but you can setup an alternate launcher and get rid of the interface all together, which is well worth the time and effort. I hated the stupid scrolling bars from the default Android TV interface.

If I could get this AirPlay app working I'd be set.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Photex posted:

This is why I don't gently caress with Kodi what is this shady looking poo poo :wtc:

I've been using Kodi since before it was Kodi and you never have to touch any of this shady looking poo poo unless you're looking for ways to stream content illegally.

I think there's less and less reason to use Kodi nowadays but I still like it over Plex for streaming local content, mainly because it doesn't constantly try to shove additional content down my throat.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Keito posted:

I thought this thread was for flexing about how hard you're not using Kodi.

Now nearly a year after asking for opinions ITT I finally ended up ordering a SHIELD TV Pro yesterday. At this point I really wanted to wait for the inevitable next model but a decent sale popped up. Fingers crossed it'll be the magic "just works" box that everyone claims, looking forward to getting that sweet HDR going since my NUC couldn't deliver there.

It pretty much *just works*. I'd look up how to replace the stock launcher (I use the Wolf launcher and have no ads or other bullshit, just a list of icons) but that's pretty trivial to do.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

MagusDraco posted:

I should get around to replacing the launcher on my 2017 shield tv. At some point I may need a new one since my current shield tv's ethernet port broke a little (stuff won't stay hooked into it. I've tried multiple cords so it's something on the shield's end). At least it's close to the router so wifi has been fine.

I replaced my 2017 model awhile back, but I had the opposite problem: the ethernet cord wouldn't come out of the port. I never figured out if it was the cable or the Shield, I sent the box to a friend and he said he plugged it up and it worked fine.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Dumb question but does your Shield have any network connectivity? If the IP was manually set with the old address range then it won't be able to talk to the new one.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I grabbed one of these to test out but haven't had a chance to hook it up yet: https://www.kinhank-retrogame.com/products/kinhank-g1-ott-google-certified-atv-box

I'm also worried about my shield dying soon. I get random videos that won't play sound after I pause them, and it's a 50/50 shot on whether or not I can get back to the home menu or I have to reboot the device to get it to work again.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I'd do a factory reset but I remember backing up and restoring Kodi stuff to be a huge pain in the rear end.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Dyscrasia posted:

Oh yea, I don't have any performance problems whatsoever on my shield 2019 pro. It's the freezes in Kodi that I get. Pause something and randomly when playing again sound will be gone and it will lock up the whole device for a few minutes and eventually drop back to shield home
Netflix and Amazon don't freeze like this so I assume it's a Kodi problem. It also never happened on my original shield which still runs happily in my basement.

My experience has been that the pro is less stable that the original.

Yeah this. It only happens in Kodi, and it doesn't seem to matter what type of media it is or how long you pause it. I've gone through and disabled a ton of add-ons trying to find a conflict. The next step is to blow the install out completely but I really don't wanna do that.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Since this thread has been active lately I want to mention I bought a SofaBaton to replace my dying and precious Harmony One. It's been fine other than some small issue, but the scroll wheel recently started malfunctioning so I emailed them about it. Their refund process is bonkers. They said they couldn't replace it with the same model, so they had me buy the new model on Amazon, and they sent me the cost of the unit via PayPal. 😳 I've never had a company just send me PayPal if I didn't use that service to pay in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Tapedump posted:

Which model did you get? I'm perpetually fearful of my Harmony kit crapping out someday.

Started with the X1 but they told me to get the X1S as a replacement because of this issue. It got here today so I'll try to get it setup this weekend.