Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Elysium posted:

I just replaced my old computer with a nice zippy, fast system. So now I have this old dell with nothing to do with it... except maybe hook it up to my TV.

Would I be able to run XBMC and 1080p video on this?

Pentium D 3 ghz
2 GB DDR2 ram
Radeon x300 AGP graphics card

I can completely strip the OS and install whatever is fastest if that helps.

Your video card is not new enough to do GPU decoding and your CPU is probably not powerful enough to to 1080P in software with out dropping frames in high motion scenes.

If you are curious and want to try it with out any risk to your current OS install, you can download the LIVE CD to try it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

BotchedLobotomy posted:

I'd a hardcore XBMC user, but Frodo doesn't really have anything that screams UPGRADE EVERYTHING HURRY! like Dharma to Eden did. Now the libretro stuff though? hoooly poo poo I'm excited about that. :dance:

PVR support is pretty neat (though it ts so over due, it's practically outdated). The new audio engine is really good too. The next big feature for the next version is close source binary add on support. This will let companies like hulu and amazon make official add ons with out compromising their content.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Cold Old posted:

I've got an issue that I've searched around for a solution, but no luck. I've got multiple computers running XBMC throughout the house, and this is happening on all of the boxes.

Since I upgraded to Frodo on all of themo, I am having an issue with scraping when XBMC starts up. When XBMC loads right after bootup, I see the notification in the upper right that it is searching for new media to index, but it immediately goes to compressing database and finishes. If I close XBMC and reopen, it performs the scrape and updates all new files.

So obviously this is a timing issue. It looks as though XBMC is trying to update media files before it is connected to the network. I've gotten around this using the XBMC update manager in Programs but so far it has been a less than stellar solution, and doesn't seem to work very well.

I run all of my media pc's with Logitech Harmony's so exiting and restarting the system every time to update isn't working well for me.

Anyone else running into this issue. Again, I'm getting the same thing from all 5 media PC's on my network so it really is perplexing. All worked fine under Eden.

Try this:

Upon booting, start XBMC with a delay

When starting XBMC on Windows startup it can be that some sub services weren't started when XBMC is up. To delay XBMC just add the parameter -d X with X equal to the startup delay in seconds.

Taken from here

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Thermopyle posted:

To tell you the truth, I have no idea. I just remember someone talking about it somewhere. XBMC's roadmap is a trainwreck so I can't tell for sure.

They have it listed on their "planned features" but it is not assigned to a milestone yet.

I don't want to be that guy who complains about software that is free and developed by people much more talented than I will ever be, but I some times wonder about the priorities they place on feature development on projects like this. 1/3 of the planned alpha 2 milestone changes are for the PVR functionality. Maybe I underestimate how many people are using XBMC as a PVR front end.

XBMC is only missing 3 things (in my opinion):

Binary Plugin Support
    HTML 5 Rendering Engine (WebKit)
    Proper support for multiple XBMC systems with a shared DB (read: configurable in the GUI and including a headless server piece)

Binary Plugin Support would allow them to move a lot of functions out of the XBMC core and in to external libraries. This should make updating easier and probably simplify code management. It would also allow for 3rd parties to put out binaries for their content, like Hulu, youtube, Amazon, etc. The downside is binary plugins would have to be compiled for each target platform unless the binary plugin system used something like Java. That means that Hulu would have to make separate binary plug ins for Windows systems and Raspberry Pi systems. On one hand you could have a situation where Amazon only put out a Windows compatible binary. On the other hand, Amazon doesn't put out any plug in today, so having official support on only one platform is better that what we have currently.

An HTML 5 Rendering Engine would not only allow for an integrated web browser, but it could allow for HTML 5 based skins and plug ins for web based content delivery such as video streaming sites and more. The HTML 5 engine would be a great example of something that should make use of a binary plug in engine.

Multi-XBMC system support is kind of evolving right now. Some of the XBMC devs have said that they want to move away from the shared DB model and move to a DLNA based sharing model. Under this model, you would configure one XBMC instance the way you do now and your other XBMC systems would stream files from the first one using DLNA. XBMC can already presents all files in it's library as DLNA streams to other devices, so a lot of the work is already done. This model would work really well if there was a headless server XBMC piece that you could run on your NAS/Fileserver.

Now I know that each of these are pretty big undertakings, but I think that they are the 3 biggest short comings of XMBC. But until someone at XBMC.org announces that they are officially being worked on, who knows when they will make it.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

The Gunslinger posted:

Ace seems pretty cool but the silly blue blinking icon is pointless, I'm going to remove that tonight and see if anything else annoys me. Pretty solid overall though. Anyone else not able to get the 10day weather forecast working? I have all of my stuff entered alright but it only ever wants to give me the current info.

The Bluedot and the default skin sounds are my only complaints about Ace.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
XBMC 12.1 is out

Lots of fixes:

XBMC now supports using OSX’s default output device for audio as well as hardware decoding with Intel GPUs in OSX
    XBMC no longer hogs audio for Linux and on resume audio will continue to work in Linux
    Full iPhone 5 resolution is now enabled
    Volume buttons on Android devices now control Android volume, rather than XBMC volume
    Volume buttons on OSX devices once again control OSX volume, rather than XBMC volume
    Player optimization on the Raspberry Pi, including more efficient playback, better subtitle support, and many crash fixes
    iOS 6 support on the AppleTV 2.
    XBMC does not crash when listed on the AppleTV top shelf
    Added support for additional Xbox 360 controller types
    Broader and more intelligent support for CEC devices
    Fixed problems with several addons due to broken binary read/write in our python interface
    Language fixes, including 7 new languages: Albanian, Burmese, Malay, Persian (Iran), Tamil (India), Uzbek, Vietnamese
    AirPlay fixes, including making discovery of XBMC more reliable on OSX
    Numerous crashing and stability fixes across all platforms

edit: I see it was mentioned at the top of this page, but I am leaving this post in case anyone else missed it like it did.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

redhalo posted:

It may be a hassle, but just re-encode to 8bit. As best as I can tell, 10bit's benefits are imaginary and don't hold up in real world examples.

I thought 10 bit 's advantage was size, mostly on animation.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

redhalo posted:

http://minitheatre.org/forum/10-general-encoding/139393-8bit-vs-10bit-tests.html

tldr: Comparison example is a 6% difference in size, no difference in quality if original source is 8bit (protip: blurays are 8bit). I may be misunderstanding the technology, but my personal experiences are on par with his.

I see. I didn't realize that the size savings were so small.

Odette posted:

Does 10-bit only benefit animated movies/TVs? From some forum talk that I skimmed over, it provides negligible benefit for non-anime things.

The reason I'm bringing this up is because I'm somewhat of an anime freak but I have less than 100GB of the stuff, and that don't really matter in the scale of running an 8TB NAS.

Animation should have the largest benefit from 10 bit encoding because you can use a lower bit rate and not get as much banding. Since cartoons use a lot of solid colors and well defined gradients, banding can be more apparent than it would be on video of live action.

To expand on what Redhalo said about the quality not being any better if the source was 8bit, encoding in 10bit is not going to give you more color data. It also will not give better image quality at the same bit rate, but it should allow for the same image quality at lower bit rates. But if those savings only come out to 6% average on nearly 6GB of files, it's not worth it and my opinion of the Anime Scene some how just got lower.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

tarepanda posted:

That's not what I'd heard. Everyone has been saying to go OpenElec EXCEPT if you want to do emulation.

Openelec will run emulators just fine. Setting them up is not the simplest thing ever, compared to full Linux distros like Ubuntu, but it will work just as well.

Windows is probably easier to get set up but also probably has more over head. On a modern system, the over head is so small it doesn't really much. You have some other problem at work.

Check your CPU utilization during play back. If things are set up right, it should be very low.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

some_weird_kid posted:

I've got two XBMC clients connecting to a MySQL server, which is just my desktop PC. Because it's just my desktop, I turn it off fairly often. Currently if I turn on one of the clients while the desktop is off, the client will just sit at the XBMC logo as it tries indefinitely to connect to the unavailable server. Is there a way to have it eventually give up and load XBMC without a library, so I can use things like Amazon and other video plug-ins without needing to turn on my desktop? Ideally I could set a timeout like 3-5 seconds.

No. Xbmc will not start with out access to it's database. Your only alternatives are to not share the db and use the standard local db file, or leave your computer on all the time.

As long as your PC sleeps it's hard drives and monitor, it should not use much power. You could possibly try configuring sleep modes for it and enabling wake on lan but I don't know of it could wake fast enough got the xbmc machines to access their db

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Christoff posted:

So I just got this on my asus tablet, knew about it since the original Xbox. Trying to figure out what all the fuss is about? Is it just :filez:?

What do you guys use it for? I can stream media from my computer using multiple different apps. Does it just organize your poo poo nicely?

Nice user interface. Nice organization of movies, tv shows, and music with artwork, thumbnails, and posters. Lots of user customization. Runs on a wide variety of hardware platforms.

Really, it wasn't designed to be a tablet app, though you can. It was meant to be run on a device that you have connected to your TV. Most of us have our movies and TV shows copied on to network storage (PC or a NAS of some kind) and we use XBMC to play them like it's a video jukebox.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

kri kri posted:

For people running WIndows and having odd waking issues, check out Xbmclauncher.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=136798

I have it set to exit xbmc on sleep and then relaunch it when it wakes up, and now I don't have my waking issues where xbmc would be the wrong resolution and other things.

Thank you for this. I am going to try it on my bedroom PC. It shares DB with the living room and when it goes to sleep, XBMC looks up on wake up, I assume because of the wireless NIC not being connected right away.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
One of XBMC's biggest strengths is that you have a very wide selection of remotes that you can use.

One of XBMC's biggest weaknesses is that almost all of the have some kind of issue, sort coming, or are half baked.

I am currently using a Motorola Nyxboard, which is supposed to be more or less the official hardware remote. And, well, it kind of sucks. It has a ton of buttons that you won't use use unless you edit the config file to remap them to something else. You have to toggle between modes to control your PC and your TV. The orientation sensor is too sensitive and you will have to disable the auto-search that it brings up by default. The keyboard is missing a lot of buttons you will need if you want to do anything on your PC. It doesn't seem to work at all on my PC before Windows has completely loaded, so I can't use it for bios functions or even in the "Windows did not shutdown cleanly" menu. Sometimes it just refuses to switch to PC mode unless I switch it back and forth like 3 times. And all of that is just off the top of my head.

As soon as I get a TV that supports it, I think I am going to try the CEC/USB adaptor and see if it's any better.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

kri kri posted:

Does this mean we can run a client on our servers more easily then?

They have said in the past that they want XBMC to move towards sharing files using UPnP, having one system act as a master system that actually has the files local to it self or mapped from network files, and the others just streaming the files from the master using UPnP.

This update is adding support for tracking watched statuses for files using UPnP and the new settings engine which will allow for a
"headless" mode. I would not be surprised if they have a server/headless install for XBMC in version 13.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

cixelsyd posted:

I haven't played with UPNP streaming much. Is this similar to how you can use twonky/ps3 media server to stream stuff via DLNA to a ps3 (for example)? If so, the one thing that always frustrated me about the PS3, and maybe this is just bad experience from the PS3, fast forwarding basically did not work, nor were you able to pick up a show where you left it off. Is that a common problem with upnp streaming? If so I do not really see that working to well for playback.

In this case, UPnP is merely the transport mechanism. Since your playback device should also be an XBMC machine, there should be no Transcoding involved. Your master or server XBMC is just presenting the files and library using UPnP and then streaming them in their original format/codec and the client XBMC system is doing the actual decoding. The alternative (current) way of doing this is through various network sharing protocols like SMB, NFS, FTP, etc.

You could also do playback on a UPnP TV or set top box if it supported the file type and codec, since XBMC does not do any transcoding currently. Actually, you can do that in the current version. XBMC has a pretty decent UPnP server implementation. I have used it in the past to stream TV shows to my tablet over wifi. Everything is still organized the same way it is in XBMC.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
In the part of the OP that I wrote, I mentioned that I believe that the future of cheap XBMC set top boxes is going to be Android boxes and HDMI sticks. But as it stands right now, XBMC on android is not as polished as I would like. Really, if you want to go cheap right now, RPi is probably as good as most Android devices and can be cheaper if you already have something for a power supply, storage, remote control/input/ and so on.

I do still have high hopes that there will be an Android device recommended by the XBMC team by the time the next version comes out.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Speaking of cheap XBMC boxes, there is a new R Pi kit for XBMC that some places are selling soon that has everything you need for XBMC included for $50. I am unclear if that price includes the R Pi or not.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
I have the same model he has and it does have HDMI.

But I can't answer his question because I don't have anything capable of high res audio decoding.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
So I moved my TV and Foxconn NT-A3500 Windows 7 XBMC system in to my Rec-room so we could watch shows while working out. This system hadn't gotten a whole lot of use before but I had found that the wifi only worked right if the system was powered on from cold boot. If you suspend it or reboot it or hibernate it or anything other than power off, wait, power on, the Wifi just will not transfer fast enough to stream anything except the lowest bit rate SD videos.

During the course of trying to troubleshoot this, I read someone say that the Linux driver for system's wifi was better than the Windows driver (What is this? Crazy Bizarro World?). So I got the latest version of OpenElec and sure enough, I can stream HD videos and everything without issue.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Cornjob posted:

yes the A3500 has HDMI, and Im running the latest Openelec build that in turn uses the latest XBMC official build.

SInce I have been messing around with Openelec and this same system, I found this page: http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?title=Config_sound_foxconn_nta3500

I don't know if you went through those steps or not, but supposedly they are required to get HDMI digital audio working right.

edit: also there is a bios update for it here that adds updates the HD audio codec but I don't think that applies to your issue: http://www.foxconnchannel.com/ProductDetail.aspx?T=NanoPC&U=en-us0000001

Lowen SoDium fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jun 24, 2013

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Le0 posted:

Well I kinda knew that no one likes the OUYA but I figured that just using it for XBMC could be done with better performances than the RPi.

Is there any guidelines on what kind of hardware to get to build my own HTPC? I think I will do that. I'd like to be able to maybe play some Steam Big Picture games as well as emulators, I guess that means I need quite a beefy HTPC. Is that worth it or should I really stick with my desktop computer for gaming and the HTPC for media?

The OP has some recommendations for PC hardware, but they are all low end for video playback. If you want to play games, you will pretty much need to build a gaming PC. Anything that could play modern games is not going to have any problems with XBMC. Your primary concern is going to be fan noise. It is possible to build a silent or quiet gaming PC, but you might end spending a little more to do it, and getting a little less power for it.

Myself personally, I have a Intel Atom/ION XBMC PC on my TV and a high end gaming PC that is also my primary desktop PC in the same room. I ran a Redmere HDMI cable in wall from my game PC to my TV and I switch the PC's displays to the TV when I want to play games using Steam Big Picture. This was the best solution I could come up with that would allow for me to use my PC with a keyboard and mouse normally and easily play games using Steam Big Picture with out buying 2 high end gaming PCs.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Le0 posted:

Hey guys, thanks for the infos.

I really like this solution you have there, my gaming PC is in the next room so I could take a cable from there to the TV.
What cable did you buy and what is this Redmere business. I searched the net and I found out that Redmere was a manufacturer of cable but what is special about them?

Normal HDMI cables can only run short distances and they start getting very expensive and very thick the longer you buy them.

Redmere is a brand/technology of HDMI cables that have a signal regeneration chip built in to one end of the cable so that they can make the cables longer and thinner. I bought a 40 foot one off of Monoprice.com earlier this year. I think it was about $40 or so.

Similarly, you can by HDMI-over-Cat5/6 devices that will let you run standard networking cable between two points and use these adaptors on each end to convert them to carry your HDMI signal. I have not personally used these, but one of my coworkers has told me about how he uses them in his church. I believe they are using them over very long runs and the Redmere cables might be cheap and are probably simpler.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

berzerker posted:

Basically the components just don't exist (or didn't exist 1.5 years ago when I made mine, I guess) to match all of these requirements:
1) mATX/mITX case that looks decent
2) CPU + fan that fits in said case
3) High-end low-profile video card
while staying cool enough to really stress these components. Noise isn't such a problem because modern motherboards can ramp up the fans when necessary and run silently otherwise, so my HTPC is silent during movies but sounds like a vacuum during serious gaming / emulation. It's definitely a bunch of compromises, and it's not the smallest, or nicest-looking, or most powerful for gaming, or quietest, or cheapest option. Still, I'm happy with it and it can emulate the hell out of the Wii using Dolphin.

You can do it if you are willing to forgo a low profile. I have a mITX Lian Li case that takes full height cards and it looks really nice. But most full high high end GPUs are going to make some noise under load.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Le0 posted:

Okay guys, not OUYA then :v:

This AD12 Zotac thing looks great I think. I'm gonna research this more.
Are there any other device in the vein of the AD12 or is this the thing everyone gets?

What HDD/SDD and RAM people usually take with a Zotac?

I have a couple of foxconn nt-a3500 boxes. They work great. I would recommend against using windows on it if you are going to use WiFi for connectivity because the Windows driver is pretty lovely, but the WiFi driver in OpenElec is fine.

When I bought it, it came with a free 64GB OCZ SSD. OCZ is a poo poo brand for drives, but free is free.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Tonight my family was here and we were having an impromptu YouTube party using Airplay. But, every time we played a video I had to exit XBMC and go back in to it before AirPlay would work again. Are there any solutions to this?

I take it since you are talking airplay, you are using iPhones/iPads?

XBMC has a better UPnP implementation than it does for Airplay. I am not sure if iOS devices do UPnP. I know that android can, some times requiring an program to be installed on the phone like BubbleUPnP. You might check the Apple App store to see if there is a UPnP app for iPhones.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

EC posted:

It'll do it internally, there's a method for exporting the individual files if you want.

Worth noting that if you have the artwork stored with the movie, XBMC still imports it internally for it's use.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Has anyone used a Vizio costar or other Google tv box with xbmc? Since they are pass through hdmi, it seems like they might be a good way to run apps for hulu and netflix while also running xbmc on one hdmi input

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Android HW decoding is great news. I am interested to hear how well it is supported and which hardware it works well on. It's unfortunate that AmLogic and Allwinner are not supported since they make up the bulk of the cheap chinese HDMI sticks and set top boxes, but I am still hoping that this means more sub $100 XBMC boxes.

Also, the 3d support is cool. Is the lack of HW decoding for full SBS and TAB 3d because it's full resolution x2 and current hardware decoders can't handle it?

I am really disappointed that they haven't worked on a closed source binary plug-in system so that we might get official add-ons for things like Hulu, Netflix, Amazon VoD, etc. Or even an included HTML5 engine for similar purposes or even HTML5 based skins. But I am getting the impression that the XBMC devs don't feel that this is an important function to include.

Has there been any new news on uPNP library sharing? Or the game/ROM/emulator engine?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

EC posted:

I've looked into that before, but my 7 year old MX-810 feels better than any of the recent Harmony stuff. I actively hate the Harmony software as well, even the custom coded bullshit UR puts out works better. I will say that Logitech has a better IR code database, so I still keep an ancient Harmony around when I need to teach a code to my main remote.

I think this is the 100th time I've posted my hate for how piss poor the Harmony line is. Talk about a market ready for someone to take it over completely.

I recently set up Eventghost with an MCE receiver and IR blaster to control my set up. Basically I can do what you would use a harmony remote to do, but with a lot more control over the actions and events.

Tonight, I am going to see if I can control my new Roku over TCP/IP with eventghost.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

EC posted:

The only issue with this is that everything would break if something happened to EG or your HTPC, right?

Sounds pretty cool, though. You should write it up when you get done, especially the IR blaster part, I'm curious as to how it works.

Yeah, but my HTPC is the center of all my media watching, so if it died, my whole setup is more or less down anyways. I still have the original remotes inside my coffee table if I need them for some reason.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

crm posted:

What's everybody's favorite Frodo/12.2 skin?

The 3.2 Openelec update (to 12.2) broke a lot of skins for me, need something other than Confluence :(

Aeon Nox by 5 miles.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
If you are running all this on Windows, you can probably use Eventghost to do whatever you need. But that might be overkill for what you are trying to do. Try Wolfbiker's advice first.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

haljordan posted:

I'm thinking of finally ditching my ol' reliable XBOX-1 running XBMC in favor of a Raspberry Pi setup. I know in the OP it mentions that you wind up paying around $100 for a 700mhz chip, but can anyone running one of these let me know how it handles XBMC? I'm not really looking to buy another PC just for media, since most of my stuff streams off my existing PC anyways.

I don't have a RPi, but most of the reports on here have been it works decently except for graphically intense skins, and some 1080p content. I have also heard some people say that the user interface can some times be unresponsive or sluggish at times. But it would probably be about as good as your Xbox 1 but with the ability to play HD content.

I don't know your time table for purchasing, but one thing to consider is that XBMC 13.0 will be out in a couple of months and better android support should be available. I am personally hoping that it will finally allow for $100 android set top boxes to be viable XBMC machines.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

haljordan posted:

Yeah I'm really only looking to upgrade because I finally got an actual HDTV and pretty much the only thing I don't like about my current XBOX setup is no HD support. A friend of mine actually sent me a few links to some Android devices so I might seriously consider one of those instead.

Waiting around another couple months isn't a deal breaker; most of my content is XViD anyways.

Like I said, don't buy an android set top box for XBMC until after 13.0 comes out and there is better official support. I bet there will be device that the community recommends around mid January for around $100.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

EC posted:

Hey so since Google Reader shut down I don't spend hours a day reading RSS feeds, and I miss stuff like this:

XBMC 13 Gotham September/October

I also missed that Gotham is now feature frozen (freezed?), and they're predicting betas to start being released sometime after December 10th.

Finally, there's an interesting breakdown of platform usage here, although it isn't a surprise that Win7 64bit is drastically in the lead. More interesting is that based on their add-on usage, they estimate around 1.9 million total installs out there. Pretty good!

Given that they are feature freezes, I take it the following features didn't make it:

UPnP based shared library
Game Console Emulation via RetroLib
Binary plugin/addon support

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

redhalo posted:

Was binary plugins actually going to be a thing? I thought they were adamantly against them because they wouldn't work on all systems or something.

I have heard that and I have heard that they were working on some kind of support for closed sourced addons for mainstream content providers.

Their best bet at this point might be to include Webkit as an HTML5 renderer and hope that more streaming content providers use HTML5 in the future.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

I kept reading on XBMC that Confluence was considered one of the best for low-end systems. I guess I never tried another skin because I could have never imagined it would result in such odd behavior (especially the IR remote lag). The strangest is I'd get slowdowns and lockups right after a 1080p video flawlessly played. Such a strange thing to lock up a system constantly (I am talking like 3 times per week, easy).

It's an Atom 230 (1.6ghz) with 2GB of RAM and an SSD. So yeah it's a pathetic system (don't care about games or emulators, just want it for movies/TV shows from an NAS), but it definitely seemed like it was enough to run XBMC perfectly when I built it. Turns out it apparently is fine; and Confluence was screwing everything up.

In all fairness though I turned off a bunch of other stuff too like RSS feed and Weather (two features I didn't know slowed the system down).

I will give "dirty regions" a try because I never heard of it before and I never, ever use subtitles or any on-screen stuff. Thank you so much for posting that.

I did not! Thank you x100 for mentioning it! :h: :h: :h:

I was about to say that my XBMC system was about the same and runs heavy skins without an issue, but then I checked. Mine is an Atom330 1.6Ghz OCed to 2.0Ghz with an Nvidia ION GPU. with 4GB of ram. So it's pretty much 2x the specs as yours with a better GPU.

It's also over 4 years old now. Wow...

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Well, I never told you what my GPU was. :v:
(It is also an NVidia ION like yours).

True, you didn't. I just figured that since you didn't list it and you were having problems that you were using the intel video.

I never thought about overclocking this thing; I figured it being such a small motherboard with the CPU built in that it wasn't even an option. I would have upgraded the RAM but XBMC reports ~50% RAM is free (but the CPU is under 99% load).

G-Prime posted:

Mod the case slightly, throw in a bigger fan, and overclock the hell out of it. Sounds like a perfect project for you.

I am actually overclocking mine with the little stock CPU fan and heat sink that it came with but...

The little wooden case that I made for it out of a jewelry box has a larger 100mm fan blowing air through the case, so it gets pretty good air flow.

I will warn you before you try to overclock. My wife's PC is similar specced computer in a premade small form factor case. Her PC DOES NOT have a clear cmos jumper, pad, or other way to reset the BIOS settings. I overclocked hers from 1.6Ghz to 1.8 and the machine would not POST. I had no way to reset it so I spent the next two hours shorting pins on the CMOS while booting it trying to get it to come up with stock values. I finally got it.

In short, if you are going to try overclocking, make sure that you have a method to reset the BIOS before you try it.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Also re: remote chat:

I am using the new Xbox 360 remote (the black one) and an HP MCE remote receiver with IR blasters I got off ebay. I take all my IR input in Eventghost and send the commands to XBMC using the XBMC plugin or to my tv using the IR blaster.

I even have a menu item in XBMC for my ROKU box that starts a batchfile that tells evenghost change the TV to the right input and then Eventghost sends my remote commands to ROKU via HTTP gets until I hit a button to switch back to XBMC.

The only problems I have with the remote is that some of the color buttons send the same IR code as some of the other buttons (as far as eventghost and the MCE receiver are concerned). There is no stop button, but there is a record button that I am not using so it got remapped to stop. That's pretty much it, I actually like this remote, which might be a first for me.

jonathan posted:

Cross posting this from the Boxee thread:

So I installed XBMC onto my boxee box today. The instructions are pretty easy and straight forward. Install Boxee+Hacks. Copy Custom build xbmc onto thumb drive, insert into box, reboot. XBMC!

It's using Gotham Alpha 10, no crashes, runs a little bit sluggish but boots quicky from my cheap kodak 16gb thumb drive.

Thought I crashed it when I was downloading 3 skins and scanning 4 sources at once. But it just stalled for a second.

http://boxeed.in/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=263&sid=ea8372e342acf472c3f7e74d0ea98b3f

That's cool news. I didn't even know that there was an XBMC port in progress for Boxee Box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Could something like this be used for an XBMC device?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CRXZUCQ/

Yes, it has Intel HD4000 for video which should be able to do hardware decoding of HD video, but I personally have not had experience with that first hand.