Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I thought casting might be a non premium option, but I wasn't going to research it because its not clear what he's looking for anyway. I just threw emby out there because now they knows it exists and can figure it out themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

FWIW, TV Show - Next Aired isn't dodgy. I've used it for years to see the schedule for my TV Shows over the next 7 days.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Bonzo posted:

I have an Nvidia shield and while it is on the more expensive size, it should last for quite a while and has 4k capability. Plus I can just exit out of Kodi if I want to run Netflix or Amazon.

You can even set it up to launch Netflix or Amazon from right inside Kodi.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

For awhile my Google Now new feed was flooded with articles from express.co.uk about how Kodi was terrible and about to be destroyed by the government for how much they aided piracy. I'm glad for any thing that fucks over these stupid streaming box and streaming addons.

It's not that I have a problem with piracy, it's that I have a problem with dragging Kodi through the mud to aid in it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I finally got an nvidia card and the gamestream poo poo to the Shield is pretty swell!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Has kodi got to the point where it's an OK live TV interface?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Ixian posted:

If "OK" means "still need to constantly tinker with it, tell people it's rock-solid for you by which you mean you only have to gently caress with it every other day instead of twice a day" then yes.

lol, so, on par with most of this PC-based living room poo poo.

Speaking of which...I've been using emby as a backend for Kodi for months now with very little maintenance from me. I've got Kodi running on a traditional PC in one room and on a Shield in another room. At some point recently-ish I've got this problem where Kodi on the shield always gets a little out of sync on my watched/unwatched/progress status. So, like if I binge through a few episodes on the PC-based Kodi the Shield Kodi might show one or two of those episodes as not watched.

Anyone else encounter this?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Uthor posted:

What makes Kodi show an "HD" badge next to videos?

I ripped a bunch of TV episodes from a Blu-ray and some are listed as "HD", other random ones don't have any badge next to them. They were all from the same TV show (off of three different discs), ripped all at the same time with MakeMKV, then downsized slightly by running a batch process in Handbrake using the same options for all the episodes. Looks like they all have slightly different aspect ratios (weird), but are all 1920 px wide.

I also have the same issue with videos I ripped off of YouTube, but I figured that was due to random resolutions that some of the videos came in.

I think that is skin-dependent.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

IUG posted:

I'm going to give up my FireTV Stick, as the wifi on it is dogshit. I'm thinking of going for a Raspberry Pi, as I've been wanting to tinker with one of those. Are there any gotchas I should look out for? I'm reading the Kodi Pi FAQ, but see that I basically want to stay away from the earlier single core machines, or the Zero.

Otherwise, I have a Steam Link I haven't even unboxed yet, but I don't see anything too promising there.

I've yet to see a Pi running Kodi where I wasn't frustrated by the UI slowness...but if you can deal with that they run fine AFAIK.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrL3EDY3Pyk

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Press the home or back button on your remote. I dont remember what the stock remote actually looks like, but on my Harmony I have the red button mapped to go to Home.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Bonzo posted:

17.5 broke Android TV really good. Get the 15.5.1 APK from them and everything is fixed.

I mean, you could, but I'd get the 17.5.1 instead!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Le0 posted:

I bought a shield a few months ago and I keep having issues with plex and/or kodi.
Anyone else have the standard shield version? How do you manage with so little storage space? Sometimes plex will complain it has no space to convert an item. Then I have the issue that sometimes a movie will have no sound in plex but when opened in kodi it plays perfectly. I'm starting to regret my purchase because besides netflix nothing works properly.

Well...I mean if you're not going to add more storage then what did you expect? 16GB is 16GB.

I think generally speaking (at least in the various threads here on SA where we talk about using the Shield) people aren't storing their files on their Shield anyway. They'll have a NAS or something.

If Plex isn't playing your files then just use kodi. Not every video player can play every type of file...that doesn't have anything to do with the Shield it's just the way software and computers work.

What types of files are you trying to play?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I have had intermittent issues with keeping watched states in sync between kodi instances using the official Emby Kodi plugin.

I think I've figured out the issue, though. I use the Chromecast screen saver (whatever it's called) on my shield and I think that for some reason Kodi doesn't receive updates from Emby when that screensaver is active.

Anyway, just thought I'd throw that out there for anyone having similar issues.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I've been dabbling with the idea of going back to MySQL.

I'd miss the easy metadata editing of emby and the ability to watch stuff out of the house and keep watched status synced.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Oct 30, 2017

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

PitViper posted:

the problem seems to be the Shield instance of Kodi not polling the database when in the background.

That's disappointing and makes me seriously consider whether I want to keep using the Shield at all.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I just tried and Kodi running with the Shield chromecast/daydream screensaver active does response to jsonrpc requests...

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

FWIW, one of the major reasons to use Emby or Plex with Kodi as the front end on your tvs is that new shows are indexed by their server processes.

Then the corresponding plugin keeps the Kodi database in sync with the backend.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Bonzo posted:

if MySQL still the best way to merge watch history for two installs? I have my main setup on my Shield but now when I'm home for lunch I usually just watch on my macbook.

Using plex or emby with their respective kodi plugin is better in many ways and worse in some.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Incessant Excess posted:

I believe Android is still unable to or has issues with changing the display refresh rate to match that of the video content, so non-android Kodi boxes or dedicated HTPCs still have a place at least in the enthusiast community.

The Shield TV, at least, changes refresh rate fine.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Tapedump posted:

Shield. Shield. Shield.

Gamestream for non-Steam games. Kodi and the Shield-customized SemperPax version of Kodi. Best or at least decent apps for name-the-service.

For what its worth SPMC is no longer under development.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

el_caballo posted:

Yeah I can imagine the Sheild would be maybe 25% better for regular Kodi use and might not crash 2x a month like the Wetek. But this h265 stuff still seems like it's a little up in the air in terms of hardware vs Usenet.

I'll give Plex a shot. The only reason I use Emby is to feed Kodi meta data and offload all that scanning.

If I can get something to feed the Roku TV a couple prestige movies in huge prestige 4k/HDR encodes, I'll be happy with my setup and maybe just put the money towards a PS4.

The shield can play h265 in all its varieties.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

It's worth installing emby or Plex server and using their corresponding Kodi syncing plugin because it's really easy to edit your library that way.

If you're philosophically opposed to this for some reason, then yeah, use MySQL.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

It's been so long since I used MySQL, but I thought you didn't have to import anything? You just point it at MySQL and that's then your database, no importing required.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

LRADIKAL posted:

Hi! Looking for advice! I have an old computer I'm putting a GT 1030 into (4K+ decoding) to use as a media PC. I haven't done one of these in a while. I want to use it for Kodi (to replace a rpi) and possibly as a steamlink replacement. We also have netflix and amazon prime. Is there a recommended setup for this type of thing? Is this the right place to ask?

I hate to be always saying this, but a Shield TV is way better than an old PC and GT 1030 for all of the things you mention.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

LRADIKAL posted:

Does this include emulation?
yes
yes

LRADIKAL posted:

A bunch of controllers?
yes

Lowen SoDium posted:

The next version of Kodi has some stuff that ties in to Android TV's main screen that is an added bonus.

It feels like I've been hearing about this for years. When the hell is this thing coming out?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

LRADIKAL posted:

Anything I need to keep in mind for this thing? Software to install? Common mistakes? Is there a recommended guide? Can I do the steam link thing or do I need to use the Nvidia tech?

It's an appliance.

You just install the apps you want.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Ive found that I can't turn off my Shields because my Emby and Kodi libraries get out of sync when Emby adds new stuff to the library or someone watches something on another TV.

That means I've got to turn off the CEC stuff.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Lowen SoDium posted:

That's strange. I don't have that issue. Are you using the Kodi Companion plug in on Emby and Kodi (previously called Kodi fast sync)? I use that and it updates Kodi in about 5 seconds after it launches. It syncs the library with new stuff and updates watch states.

Yeah. Mine syncs every time I start Kodi, but for some reason, some of the time, it just misses stuff.

It's very confusing and hard to troubleshoot.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Do you have the emby plugin set to do a quick scan or a full scan? Full scan is a little slower, but I had problems with missing library items when I used quick scan.

You mean the fast startup setting? I think thats what its called...the one that requires the server plugin.

I do use that because my large library takes like 10 minutes to do a full scan of.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Vykk.Draygo posted:

:shittypop: How big is your library? I've never had a huge library, but at its largest, I don't think a full scan ever took more than 10-15 seconds.

Like 20 thousand files...

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

ChocNitty posted:

I want to connect my iPhone to my home stereo. That way I don’t have to spend a bunch money on a big Bluetooth speaker. What gadget would I need to get, and which one is a good model? I got an rca to stereo jack adapter and I just have a long cable plugged into my iPhone.

BT adapter will be the simplest, but the chromecast audio is pretty sweet...I just don't know how well it works with an iphone.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Hello Spaceman posted:

I'm trying not to judge you, but I can also add that your situation sounds like your setup is doing you a favour.

I wouldn't judge him because that's a dick move, but also if you're going to judge him remember that many of us are maintaining this poo poo for a whole household of people.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

r0ck0 posted:

Does anyone use the extended info add-on with the nvidia shield? Its terribly slow to open but works fine once open. I tried it on a windows kodi install and the extended info add-on opens normally without a delay. Any idea why its not working so great on the shield?

I wish I knew the answer. It's so slow, I basically never use it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Dyscrasia posted:

While Pricy, the Harmony hub is one of the best home entertainment purchases I have made. One remote for TV, receiver, shield tv and cable box.

This is the rightest answer.

I don't know how anyone can use a touchscreen remote (aka phone or tablet) without severe aggravation.

How can you use it without looking at it?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Disney+ aside, what does the Shield do that the Fire TV doesn't?

I haven't kept up with Fire TVs, but I seemt o have some recollection of the Shield being much higher performance and that showing up in Kodi's UI.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I have a Fire TV Stick 4K, but now I'm intrigued because they only thing I haven't been able to do with the stick is Emulation. The Shield handles 4k HDR really well and works with all the big streaming providers including Prime?

I don't use Prime for video watching but I hear about people watching 4k HDR Prime content all the time, so it should be working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

BT is just trash in general.

The Shield bluetooth seems fine in the world of bluetooth.