Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

BotchedLobotomy posted:

I'd a hardcore XBMC user, but Frodo doesn't really have anything that screams UPGRADE EVERYTHING HURRY! like Dharma to Eden did. Now the libretro stuff though? hoooly poo poo I'm excited about that. :dance:

Same, but working 24p and HD audio is pretty nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

Delta-Wye posted:

I usually try to use NFS for *nix<->*nix connections because SMB is a POS comparatively. You can run samba in parallel to NFS to let Windows clients use the share, but then user permissions can get wonky.

I spent ages trying to get NFS in my Ubuntu NAS working nicely for my apple and microsoft devices as well as for openelec, because I just wanted the one sharing mechanism. I just couldn't get the permissions working correctly for each environment, though. I ended up just running AFP for the apples and samba for windows and it's working very well.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
I had endless issues with 16 on Windows so was using 15 until today, but it seems to work well :toot:

TomR posted:

I don't care for the new skin. I think I like to scroll up and down rather than left and right.

I like the skin generally, especially the settings menu reorganisation, but I agree with you on the home screen. It's good once you actually click on a main menu option and get a standard list, but when you're just hovered over Movies or TV Shows I find the right hand panel too busy. Doesn't seem to be configurable.

Reminds me of Netflix's UI, which I don't like but I can appreciate others will love it. Touchscreen users especially.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
Ah my only real gripe was the large catergory buttons (genre etc.) that I'd never use, which was pushing the latest episodes row offscreen.

The latest (unreleased) estuary lets you remove them entirely, but I don't know when it's coming out so I manually updated the skin with the latest from github, and now it's perfect.

Was added late December:
http://github.com/phil65/skin.estuary/pull/180

Edit: No, has messed up some minor list view stuff now because I'm on the wrong version of Kodi. I'll install Confluence until it's officially updated.

gabensraum fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Feb 4, 2017

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

Ixian posted:

Give it a chance and explore the options particularly with the default skins.

I do think it looks and feels great overall, but Estuary currently lacks configuration options when compared to other popular skins. That will come, and when it does I'll give it another shot.

edit: sorry you were talking about Kodi 17 generally, thought you meant Estuary.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

Slash posted:

I just use emails to get notifications when something has downloaded, can set up appropriate filters to make it as unobtrusive as required.

This is what I do, in nzbget.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
I use it on tv with a remote exclusively and went back to confluence after a couple of weeks persisting. But I also hate every netflix interface I've seen so I'm generally against the grain I think.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
Trip report: have wanted to have my kodi libraries synced for a while, and I can see the benefit to PlexKodiConnect et. al. since it's easy to set up, but since I already have everything else on my file server in docker containers, adding two new ones for mariadb and a headless version of kodi was going to be easy. So I thought I might as well, and avoid any potential addon compatibility issues with the plex or emby methods.

Works like a charm. Using kodi all over the place with no detectable latency issues, and since sonarr/radarr update the headless kodi instance any new things are immediately available on all devices.

I'm using the following images from https://tools.linuxserver.io/dockers and can recommend them all:
deluge, hydra, kodi-headless, mariadb, muximux, nzbget, radarr, sonarr

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

Incessant Excess posted:

I'm interested in setting this up as we're, was there a tutorial you followed?

Not for the docker part, I'm afraid, since I've been using docker for a while and the groundwork was already in place. Once I'd set up the mariadb and kodi-headless containers as specified by their creators, I just followed Kodi's own guide to configure.
https://kodi.wiki/view/MySQL

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

Incessant Excess posted:

Just so I understand this correctly, you were doing this to keep Kodi and Plex in sync right?

No, just multiple instances of Kodi.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
I usually test Kodi in a sandbox on major updates but forgot that my Android TV would update it automatically, and it upgraded my databases (that my other Kodi installs use) and I have problems with samba networking on all platforms. Others complaining about the plugin system changing and a lot of their favs not working.

None of this is unusual, it's a complex app on multiple systems with a big userbase. For now I've just reverted to my database backups and manually installed the 18.9 apk on my TV. I'll wait for 19.1 and test carefully.

gabensraum fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Feb 25, 2021

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
Yeah I had a couple problems, the smb one I fixed by making a passwords.xml file.

Another is that the upgraded databases were broken. Turns out the software was too old, I had to tell mariadb to update my existing DBs before I launched 19 and upgraded them.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
I think some of you use headless kodi, as I do, to keep the database updated for multiple client installs. Despite the external database paradigm being neglected generally I still prefer it to using Emby or similar database management tools, as when it works it's perfect.

Anyway, this contributor has patched one of the popular headless containers for v19 and I'm now using it with no troubles.
https://github.com/matthuisman/docker-kodi-headless
https://hub.docker.com/r/matthuisman/kodi-headless

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
My problem with everything non-kodi has been that I love the kodi client interface and haven't liked any of the others. They're all like Netflix, which I find pretty terrible.

I know it's not as strong on the library management, and It's a shame kodi doesn't make centralised databases easier for most users but as a computer toucher I find it easy enough to set up. And perhaps I don't care about management as much as most since I delete most things once I've seen them.

I notice jellyfin put out a new version of their android tv app a few months back and the last time I used it there were only a few annoyances, so I'll give that a go today.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
Love my 2019 Shield with Kodi.

FWIW I was also using a third party launcher on my Shield and various other Android TVs around the house until this week, when I discovered I can get rid of the forced promos by blocking "androidtvchannels-pa.googleapis.com" at the network level.

I use Adguard Home, but PiHole etc. will do the same thing. I then just had to clear the cache of the "Android TV Home" app and it's now just like the old UI.

I wouldn't have minded if the promos were for apps I actually had installed. Get stuffed.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
Just another shield (2019, pro) user chiming in to say that Kodi plays everything I throw at it, including high bitrate x265 content, and I can jump back and forth and the seeking is snappy. I run a couple of google TV 4K dongles around the place that do struggle a bit, but I can't imagine needing to upgrade the shield until I start wanting 8K content. Which is good, because what I like about it is the seamless hdmi-cec with my amp and tv, so with the shield remote the family doesn't know any difference between the shield and when we used to use the kodi app directly on the sony (android) tv.

On the Kodi forums I see a lot of misleading info about shield performance. Yeah it's underpowered compared to a modern PC but I think the biggest culprit for most people is just network file transfer performance, which can fall down at many places. When people do identify it's a throughput issue they will also say that "SMB is just too slow" and their fix will be to replace SMB sources in kodi with NFS, or with webdav/http, or by mounting SMB locally on the shield and making a local source in Kodi. And all this stuff often works, but it's usually unnecessary. SMB just needs to be configured appropriately on the client and the server to boost throughput.

If you have a gigabit network the first step is to make sure that you can get nearly 115MB/s when copying a big file between the NAS and any other device (a laptop or desktop or whatever). If it's not even close then you probably either have a network problem or a general config problem on your SMB server. Same goes if you're running NFS.

If that's all good but it's still not snappy on the shield or you get alerts like "source rate too slow", try adding a few lines to your advancedsettings.xml file. I wasn't suffering any real issues but I was getting that annoying alert sometimes, and a few tweaks got rid of it. "Example 4" here is about right for the shield: https://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Modify_the_video_cache#Example_4. This will be effective regardless of the protocol you're using.

quote:

Example 4

A safe setting for most devices with 1GB of RAM that should help most users "on the edge". All protocols get cached, cache rate fills up pretty much as fast as possible, and cache size is about 133MB, using about 400MB of ram total.

code:
<advancedsettings>
  <cache>
    <buffermode>1</buffermode>
    <memorysize>139460608</memorysize>
    <readfactor>20</readfactor>
  </cache>
</advancedsettings>
The memorysize is how much video Kodi will cache while you're watching a video, in bytes. To do this Kodi needs three times as much free memory as you've defined, so it needs to be available. That's why this example uses about 400MB of extra ram while you're watching a video, and it's important not to put it too high because it may crash if it can't get the memory it expects.

The readfactor dictates how much of the video will be buffered into the cache (that you've defined with memorysize). You can put a stupid high number there and it won't crash kodi, but it may saturate your network connection. With a high-bitrate video I've found that 20 (their example) is about right, as it uses up about 80% of my gigabit bandwidth, leaving enough for anything else connecting to my NAS.

You can play with these settings though, using your most problematic content. If you connect a USB keyboard to the shield you can press ctrl-shift-d and ctrl-shift-o to toggle a couple of useful screen overlays that tell you how much CPU, memory and bandwidth you're using.

That should fix most problems for users of shields and similar devices. Yeah I know I haven't gone into how to edit the file, you'll need adblink or similar, there are guide online. Apparently the latest Kodi nightlies now have these settings available in the GUI, and they're aware it's required because there has been some debate about what the default settings should be - some people say it should be as per the above (to address issues before they come up) while others want to keep the current default so not to break anyone's existing setup. Will be interested to see how it goes.

If things still aren't working well, other things to try in your SMB server config (depending on what software you are using) is disabling encryption in SMB 3 (this is just my home network and nothing is externally available, it's more important to disable SMB1 if you haven't), setting the smb daemon to kernel-mode, and enabling asyncronous i/o. YMMV.

And sure, you can also look at switching to NFS or webdav or mounting a local SMB share instead, but if any of those work it's just because their default settings fit your setup, and you'll have to rescan your library and lose your watched statuses when it might have been easier to fix what you already had. But even if you do switch (or you're already using something else), still look at those advancedsettings.xml changes as they should improve your playback performance regardless.

Sorry that rant is probably better directed at the Kodi forums, but I maybe some of this info will help someone here.

edit: interesting PR here for the new GUI settings I mentioned: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/24049

gabensraum fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Mar 12, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
Ah, fair enough that sucks. I have a mariadb video db that all my kodi devices read from, and I do all updates/scans via a headless install on my server, so I haven't had much trouble with that on the shield.

And to be fair to regular users something I also do is run a daily python script that cleans my db of orphans to keep it trim, so yeah maybe I'm not the best person to say, "it's fine!" 😆

Kodi should really handle orphans better itself.