Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

wolfbiker posted:

Even after changing to advanced and expert, for whatever reason "Suspend function" is grayed out and I can't change it from "Shutdown" to anything else. Very weird.

Weird sorry I don't know. What version of OpenElec? You said latest but I'm not sure if that's stable or beta. USB stick or installed to an SSD/etc? What hardware?

quote:

A developer has been pushing out test Gotham builds but the video stuttering is still an issue. I'll keep testing those out, but the Frodo builds are perfectly fine for my needs. Insanely happy with the Fire TV.

Is there a way to get XBMC on the launcher yet? That's a silly hold up I know but its for wife annoyance factor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
If anyone else has a NUC that freezes on suspend sometime, ssh into it and execute this command to fix it - echo 0 > /sys/power/pm_async

It'll hopefully be baked into newer builds of OpenElec going forward. My NUC is now perfect, that was my sole complaint. It's not a bad little emulator box either.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Esk1 posted:

I stopped using suspend a few years back because oe sometimes took minutes waking up from suspend to connect to smb shares. Does this still occur?

Not a problem here. It is up and running in about 2 seconds.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

1) Why did this thing come with an external IR receiver if it had an internal one

It lets you use the remote on another machine if you want and/or just in case the built in CIR is blocked by a line of sight obstruction or perhaps another application like for example if you had the HTPC wired up to the TV but behind a wall.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Thermopyle posted:

That's pretty great looking, but I'm so used to the multiple on-deck and recent items via widgets in Aeon Nox and, from the screenshots, it looks like Eminence only has the one in-progress on the movie page.

I'm still hooked on Ace with the horizontal main menu for that reason. It has Recently Added and In Progress for everything and it also lets you quickly toggle between Random, Recently Added and Progress for each as well. The randomized feature is pretty nice.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
OpenElec just got updated to Gotham Final for anyone who was holding off. They fixed a ton of power related stuff in the beta builds so if you had issues suspending or etc then give it a whirl. Just remember that you can't resume from USB anymore.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Fourteen posted:

C'mon, OpenElec. When does the auto-update kick in?

Just run it manually through the Confluence submenu.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Biggest human being Ever posted:

Do you mean I can't use sleep mode (S3) when installed to a USB stick anymore?

I've had zero luck getting resume working with the Live installs since like beta 2 of Gotham. One of the OE devs talked about it no longer being supported awhile ago but I'm not sure if they ever changed their mind on it or not. I gave up and got a $35 SSD on Ebay instead.

quote:

Dammit, I just wanted to be lazy for once.

Haha yeah I hear man but the automatic updater so rarely works for me that I've been conditioned to just the scrolling banner text in OE instead.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

madpanda posted:

Finally picked up a FireTV based on thread recommendation and Ixians writeup, after doing htpc's basically since video cards started coming with s-video out its really weird to have a tiny device that is so powerful right out of the box and installing xbmc took all of a minute. Only thing I haven't been able to figure out so far is how to actually install the Eminence skin, it doesn't show up in the list under addons, and the authors github is just directories, am I supposed to add that as a repository?

Is there an official XBMC launcher for the FireTV home screen yet?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Ace in the horizontal view is pretty nice for recently added/in progress/etc. You can also toggle the widgets right from the main menu which is a bonus. I usually leave mine on Recently Added and just use the single in progress one but its nice to be able to flip it to randomized entries or to all of your in progress stuff quickly. I don't know about next aired though, never tried it with that skin.

Eminence is the WebOS one? I didn't really care for it. I'll give Amber a whirl later.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

jonathan posted:

Actually what are some decent boxes that have a plex client ? Maybe that is the solution. I can do 15mbit upwards, will plex server know to downgrade bitrate for an internet connection ?

FireTV has a good one. The Roku official app sucks but the unofficial app Rarflix is an improvement. An i3 should be plenty for transcoding so that sounds like a problem with the LG. When you say bad performance what is it specifically? Hitching, buffering, long loads, etc?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Atarian posted:

It's still a while off from being in the official build, from what I've read.

I've been using the retroarch addon on my openelec box, and it has been great.

Which build are you using? Googling reveals a bunch of compiled ones, not sure which one to grab.

Were you able to solve the infinitely flashing lights on the wireless Xbox 360 stick?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
I upgraded OpenELEC to 4.2 and now Trakt isn't working again. I hate this plugin :(

Edit: got it working again by uninstalling and reinstalling it, same settings but oh well!

The Gunslinger fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Sep 29, 2014

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
The lack of ethernet is what kills it for me.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Is there a working weather addon right now?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
I've had 3 official ones over the years and all have died from that fuse problem. Since then I bought a single fake, it works fine, distance is good etc. I was going to get an Xbox One controller but Microsoft just decided to shaft PC gamers and doesn't even make a wireless dongle for it at all! My bigger problem is getting controller support working in OpenELEC is a loving pain, I think I might just scrub this and go to XBMCBuntu. I really want steam capability and my emulators back.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Is anyone else using OpenElec and a wireless xbox 360 controller? Annoyed by how the LED circle keeps blinking even after connecting successfully?
Please feel free to test this custom build, based on the Valve xpad patch, it'll hopefully help.

https://github.com/OpenELEC/OpenELEC.tv/issues/2607
(See bottom of page)

This has been a public service announcement.

Awesome thanks man.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Did it work for you? I'm having problems with it not reconnecting successfully if I restart the controller. But pretty decent function all in all.

I don't get the blink anymore but I only played with it for 5 minutes. Do you mean it won't reconnect if you pull the batteries or let it idle timeout? Does it work after a reboot?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

visuvius posted:

Just picked up the M8 Amlogic S802 box. Can someone please link me to the rom I should put on this thing? I'm having trouble finding it on freaktab. Gozinbux mentioned Finless 1.8 but I don't see that.

The process is basically, restore to wipe what's on there, throw the rom apk on a USB and manually install it?

Yeah wondering the same thing, I can't find the rom he mentioned awhile ago. I'll keep looking.

Is yours a black box that just says M8 and on the bottom under model, does it say "M8N"? There are a hundred different devices all based on the same chipset and I am having a hard time telling what rom to apply.

The Gunslinger fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Dec 26, 2014

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

jonathan posted:

Honestly my m8 with the shipped ROM worked awesome. I did a factory reset which deleted xbmc and a bunch of poo poo, then reinstalled xbmc and set it up how I like it.

It was rock solid and fast. The finless ROM just changed the interface some but it doesn't seem to work with Kodi.

Like, the big menu item won't link to Kofi.

Oh the fact that his ROM reports the hardware as "Xoom" to google play store is a huge benefit.

Fair enough. I can't say I'm hugely impressed with mine so far. It looks like the Netflix app is only going to 480p which blows and mine needs a reboot every other time you use it for some weird issue with the video. The sound has already cut out a few times which needs a reboot as well. I will do a factory reset on it and try to tinker. The Netflix app being limited to 480p video is a deal breaker though, this might be going back if I can't resolve that.

quote:

Ya well it sucks, I really liked my old skin, had it setup perfect, had features no other skin has. When starting a movie it would bring up a menu for play movie or watch trailer, I really liked that. Also now it doesn't seem to be remembering where I leave off in a movie or tv show. If I stop it and come back it starts from the beginning.

Ace was really the best skin, hope it gets an update.

The Gunslinger fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Dec 26, 2014

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

visuvius posted:

Thirded. The S802 M8 Android box I bought is garbage, what a piece of poo poo. You're either constantly trying new firmware or its some other bullshit, what a loving waste of time.

Yeah I had an m8 as well, they are awful. Get a FireTV or go for something like a NUC, VivoPC or whatever you can find cheap that isn't a noname Chinese box.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Bonzo posted:

You mean this thing? http://www.google.ca/nexus/player/

I can't get a Fire TV because :canada: but if that works then I'm sold.

It has no ethernet, just a FYI. I wanted one but that killed it for me.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
You can just update the library remotely using HTTP, enable XBMC web login in the settings and set a user/pass.
code:
http://<username>:<yourpassword>@<HostName>:<port>/jsonrpc?request={"jsonrpc":"2.0","method":"VideoLibrary.Scan"}

Most download clients have an option to execute something after a download finishes, I would just use that to send the above command in a batch script using curl or etc. It's like 10 minutes of work from start to google to finish. Or just schedule a script that runs the above every X minutes.

Edit: The XBMC wiki has exact instructions for CURL even.

The Gunslinger fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jan 6, 2015

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
XBMC for myself, Plex for friends and family. I have a pretty great upstream so its just easier to create them a plex account and share my library so they can stream it. Plex clients themselves are way too restrictive for my taste and I find the paid account fees absolutely ridiculous.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
What framerate is the source content and what are you trying to output it at? Is this on Windows? What decoder is selected in the settings?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Netflix wants to curate apps for platforms and due to licensing agreements it can't just offer the app for platforms that don't have some sort of DRM mechanism that will satisfy content producers. That's been their reasoning in the past anyway. I am still pretty miffed they killed the third party API.

FireTV satisfies me in that regard (XBMC/Netflix) but I really wish it supported external storage natively.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
What folder are you trying to move, thumbnails or something? You can push an entire folder via ADB by specifying the destination, just use the command line. Most of the Fire tools have an option to load a CLI window after connection or just do it by hand. adb push FolderName /sdcard/FolderName

I forget the location of Kodi on there but I'm sure you can google that and move the files where they're supposed to be, setup advancedsettings.xml and all that.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Thermopyle posted:

I also should have clarified that by "performance" I mostly meant the performance of the interface. My Acer Revo HTPC's performance in menus and whatnot is significantly worse than my Core 2 Duo HTPC.

Nowadays, just about anything can play the 1080p mkvs people obtain from places.

I went with the FireTV over the NP because I really wanted an ethernet port. The FireTV runs Kodi pretty much flawlessly even with big skins. The only time I see a bit of interface lag is during library updates and that's because I have a huge library. If you have a Harmony you can get it working pretty quickly through some customization or just by using a Flirc. I love my FireTV, its given me all of the streaming apps, Kodi, Plex and even a bunch of emulators in the same common device. For $100 its a bargain.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
trakt loving pisses me off, first their big API snafu and then for no reason the addon dies when trying to import my watched status. I sent the error logs in and no fixes months later. I've given up on it and just swap the DB files around manually.

You should backup the DB files before upgrading but I've done it on several clients without a problem. Library updates are much faster now so its worth doing.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Vykk.Draygo posted:

So I can install Emby and have all of my Kodi installs talk to it, and my videos will still be marked as played after I watch them? If I'm understanding this correctly, this seems like exactly what I've been wanting. Can Sonaar/NZBGet tell Emby when a download is finished and update the library?

Sonarr can certainly notify Emby/Kodi, its in the Connect section. Couchpotato doesn't seem to have a Media Browser or Emby thing yet though.

Going to check out installing Emby when I get home maybe if I can find a way to import all of my watched stuff from Kodis libraries.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Anyone else get some things "stuck" in Recently Added? I have a few things where timestamp on the file was messed up so I corrected it and did a fresh clean/scan of the library but they persist at the top of recently added items. It's kind of driving me nuts.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
I decided to try to give Emby a shot to manage my watched tags and other nonsense. So far so good but a few oddities.

My videos are playing as "Direct Stream", is this the same as Direct Play? I'm running Kodi with the Emby addon on a FireTV so I don't want transcoding or etc on the server when it isn't necessary.

For anyone wondering if you can preserve your existing Kodi library/watched tags while merging with Emby, the answer seems to be no. I had to trash everything and start over.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
So far its been fine for me, everything is marked correctly. I notice in the log file it does a mini update every time there is a change even.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Thermopyle posted:

I gave up on Emby as a backend for Kodi clients after a couple days because of this issue. That and I didn't really see the point for me.

I don't know, certainly is making my life easier. I got rid of an ancient WDTV in the basement last night, setup a new FireTV and had Kodi running with Emby on it in 5 minutes with all of my tags/etc preserved. I have a similar setup upstairs in the living room. I'm sure one day Kodi will get there but right now I don't want to bother with UPNP and its nice having that all centralized between various devices and apps. Setup user accounts for friends and family already, deleted Plex on their Rokus and pointed them at Emby instead. No issues so far and I'm loving the admin side of things, great feature set there. The metadata handling is especially nice.

Plex I found was easier on the CPU with transcoding, I'm not sure what ffmpeg settings Emby uses yet, I will have to dive into that more since it seemed really high last I checked.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
By default it uses a different scraper but that's been fine with me. I have no idea how you named your stuff. I use Name (Year) and sometimes append quality/res to the title and I only made 5 corrections out of 700 films.

Go to the Server Admin panel and click Metadata then click Services. Try bumping up Themoviedb instead of the open movie DB then slick Save. That's the one that Kodi/Plex use by default I believe. You might have to do a full refresh after that, not sure as I didn't have to do that since it got most of mine right on the default.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Thermopyle posted:

I very specifically put "for me" in there!

I already have everything centralized with MySQL. If you're not using MySQL then I'm sure Emby is a lot more attractive to you. For me there's no upside and there's the very significant downside of all my metadata being dependent upon yet another party.

Yeah sorry I was just sorta quoting you to talk about some changes I made. I can't remember why I stopped using MySQL awhile ago, I think I just needed a transcoder for Rokus. I wish I could get everyone on something that can run Kodi/Netflix so I don't have to bother with the transcoding server. The only one I've used that works for most people was the FireTV but Amazon pulled Kodi, makes it more of a pain to install/maintain for friends and family.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm just using SMB shares and I didn't have to setup path substitution, maybe its different for others not sure. It still just direct streams (which I think is just direct play) everything to Kodi on the FireTV even without path sub. Just run task manager or use ps if on *nix to check CPU usage to be sure. You will know for sure its transcoding, ffmpeg will be eating CPU.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Tanbo posted:

Direct stream isn't direct play.

I don't know if direct stream affects video quality though, I wouldn't think so, does use unnecessary resources on the server. Direct play removes the server from the equation entirely, which is preferred when possible.

Here's some of my path substitutions. Pretty simple.

Hmm well ok, thanks for the info but I'm not sure how to get it to Direct Play. I've tried with and without a path substitution, it still just wants to Direct Stream everything. I've checked on the server and it only uses 1% CPU so I'm not sweating it or anything but obviously I would prefer DirectPlay if possible. I wonder if its because I'm running Kodi on a FireTV. It can see all of the Windows shares though which is what makes this confusing. Unfortunately the documentation on Emby is a bit half baked because I can't see a lot of troubleshooting info for this on the wiki or the forums.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Tanbo posted:

My guess would be SMB issues. Add your path substitution, then go into the emby addon on kodi and check play from HTTP instead of SMB. If it does direct play then, then it's a SMB issue.

Ok I'll give that a shot, thanks for the help man.

Edit: yep that worked and I realized I had mistyped the username/pass for the network user inside of the Kodi emby Addon settings. Its direct playing now although it still says opening stream whenever it actually plays something but the server dashboard shows it as Direct Play and the CPU usage is nothing so I'm happy.

The Gunslinger fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jul 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
If you watch a lot of movies then I'm sure it would be annoying. We only watch 1-2 movies every few weeks so the trailers are actually kind of neat. It lets us know what's out there since we cancelled cable and installed Adblock on all of the computers. You can always skip them with a click anyway.

I was considering setting up MySQL again last night but got Direct Play working fine now (cheers Tanbo) so I will stick with Emby. I am finally happy with my setup so it will be at least 3 months before I tinker with it for no real reason.