Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Traxxus posted:

How does the new criteria in Frodo for "recently added" work? Trying to decide if there is any reason to not disable it and go back to how it used to work (I already disabled it). From what I've read, it goes by file date, but that doesn't explain how something I downloaded and added today doesn't show up.

I'm trying to give it a fair shake, they changed it for a reason I guess, but it just seems to be not very well thought out.

Was the thing you downloaded in an archive format? Many programs preserve the original timestamps upon extraction.

My guess is that the new behavior is supposed to allow you to move or rename movies without having them take up space in the " recently added" category.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

EC posted:

So does Sickbeard still do the thing where you can't change thumbs on a show without doing a complete refresh first?

If so, should I just stop having Sickbeard create metadata and allow XBMC to handle it?
Is there a point in having sickbeard pull metadata when XBMC can scrape everything anyway? I've never understood the reason for storing metadata all over the file system instead of just getting it fresh from the source when adding to the library.

With that being said, in Frodo you still have to refresh a show to be able to fetch remote thumbs that weren't available at the time the video info was scraped in the first place. It seems like work was put into making artwork fetching an overall smoother process in Frodo, so I don't understand why they couldn't make it do a new search when you go to change thumbs. Refreshing automatically changes the show poster, fanart and season thumbs, which is pretty annoying.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

YouTuber posted:

Is there a way to have XBMC use the Analog out on my RaspPi when playing music, but use the HDMI for Video? I'd like to be able to turn my TV off when playing music through the stereo. As it stands now I have to keep the TV on for sound to pass on the RCA out jacks to the stereo.

I don't know if XBMC can do that, but if not, does your TV have the ability to turn of the screen? Not as practical but will at least cut down power usage.

What about making XBMC/the OS output audio to all outputs?

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
Can't you just choose the scraper to use when editing the content type setting on a show folder?

As for sickbeard, you can make it use xem by just editing one line in its tvdb data importer code.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Scrot Eel posted:

Other than here and the xbmc forums, is there any good resource where I can read up on reviews and user experiences with some of the new Android stick and set top devices? There are just so many coming out and it's hard to keep up or get any good info. I'm just looking for something that'll play back 1080p in various formats through XMBC, Netflix streaming (I'm assuming HW rendering will be necessary) and Hulu Plus.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Android_hardware
This wiki entry is basically it, I think. XBMC for Android is still at a very early point in development, and they are asking people to wait with purchasing hardware until support gets better.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Atarian posted:

I think I found what's responsible for my smb share problems, but can't find a fix. I enabled an option in drive bender that allows me to browse the individual drives in the pool to test out my theory. It seems xbmc is only accessing one of the drives in the pool. The files that are showing as 0kb are on the other drive. I don't get it. I see everything in the folder when I view the share in windows explorer.

Is drive bender similar to unionfs/aufs/etc in that they take several partitions or folders and make them appear as a single mount point? If you can only access files from the primary drive in xbmc it probably has problems with the way drive bender links the rest of your stuff into the hierarchy.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

NiVRaM88 posted:

If Gotham still doesn't have dynamic range audio compression, I'm gonna lose it. Am I really the only user that doesn't have a 5.1/7.1 setup?

Definitely not, I've never even had external speakers. :heysexy:

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

berzerkmonkey posted:

The files were named in mostly random fashion, but most follow the format of "Show Name S01 E02 Episode Title.avi"."

What kind of format is that?

I use S01E02 for all my files and XBMC has no problem recognizing them. File naming is well documented, and it's possible to add support for custom patterns by using regular expressions.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

berzerkmonkey posted:

One that is easily readable? I don't know - I didn't name them. We will just leave it at that. When I said it was a time consuming pain in the rear end, I was referring to the fact that I had a lot of seasons to change, not that it was especially difficult, once I figured out why the existing format wasn't recognized by The Renamer.

Did you finish renaming your files or are you still in the middle of it? I also used a batch renamer app (pyrenamer) to deal with lots of videos that had non-compatible namings, and it can make the process really fast.

In your case I'd make it select all videos within the hierarchy recursively and filter on a pattern like "S01 E", and then fill in a quick rule to make it remove the space following 1 in all files. Repeat the process replacing 1 with 2, 3 and so on, up to the longest running series you've got is covered, and the whole thing should be done in a few clicks over a couple of minutes. I'm sure it could be done more efficiently too, by making it recognize the format instead of manually typing in season numbers.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

tarepanda posted:

I have a Zotac AD10 (Windows 7, so I can run emulators) running the Frodo RC

wut
If there's one area of gaming that Linux handles as well as Windows it's emulation.

Why would you still be running an RC when 12.1 has been out for a month or so already?

I don't know about your other problem, but make sure you've got hardware decoding enabled in the settings if playback is horrible.

XBMC generally runs a bit more efficiently on Linux than Windows, and you're on a low-power device, so I'd make the switch over if emulators are what's held you back.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Elysium posted:

So for some reason Openelec thinks that I only have one TV show now. All the other ones are clearly still "there" because recent episodes still show up as newly added, and I can access everything through the ipad app, but when I click on TV shows it only shows 30 rock.

I tried rebooting and I tried removing the TV folder source and readding and rescraping the whole thing, but that didn't do anything, still just 30 rock.

Have you watched everything else and set it to only show unwatched episodes in the viewtype settings?

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

suddenlyissoon posted:

Yeah, the problem with that is accessing it remotely. Currently I have my NAS pointing to a DDNS name and connect XBMC at work, on my iPhone & my iPad through AFP using the DDNS address. It works flawlessly. I've never seemed to get the UPNP working remotely.

You could always set up an FTP server. A bit old-school maybe, but it worked alright for me when remotely streaming from my brother's computer in the past.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

jonathan posted:

I'm running Aeon Nox, which is really slick and professional looking. I don't want to screw up the themed artwork with my own stuff. It just wouldn't fit as well.

While Nox looks amazing, the default backgrounds do not. It's like some neckbeard hurriedly picked up his camera and snapped a collection of uninspired shots using somewhat relevant trash scattered around the basement to replace the nonfree images that used to come with the skin.

Having you customize the skin by providing your own pictures and present them integrated as part of a beautiful whole was one of the main design goals behind the original Aeon.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Traxxus posted:

Recently added would be much more useful if it didn't include watched movies. You can filter them out, but that just hides the watched ones, doesn't repopulate the list with more unwatched movies.

With Aeon Nox's latest added widgets it hides all watched ones which I kind of wish it didn't, I'm getting bored of always seeing the same list of movies I never get around to watch. Maybe I should change to a random movies widget instead...

Are you talking about the playlist in the movies sub menu? If so, you could make a smart playlist to do exactly what you want, it's pretty easy.

Go make a new playlist, call it latest unwatched or whatever you want, set the rule "play count less than one", order by date added, sort decending and you're done.

You can disable the default "latest" sub menu item and add your new playlist in its place unless your skin has poo poo customizability.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

cixelsyd posted:

Thanks for the suggestion, I tried this and changed the title after clicking on "Get Movies Information" but it still won't scrape. I wonder if something is throwing off the regex. Thanks for offering the hint though; I did not even know you could scrape stuff into the library that way. No log entry either when I do that =\

XBMC regex patterns and the like don't matter at all if you manually lookup from the files view. Just input evangelion in the search box and pick the right movie from the results there.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

EC posted:

Things have radically changed since the Frodo release. The add-on pretty much always works without much finagling, including watched status syncing.

I do wish they'd drop the horrible "totally ninja!" and "weak sauce :(" from the rating screen, though.

trakt has an alternative numbered rating scheme that I think is fully integrated in the plugin, just switch switch to it in your account settings on the site. Can't guarantee it'll remove the cheese from being displayed within XBMC as I've disabled the feature, but one can hope.

I also agree on the trakt plugin having become a lot better than it used to be, but they still manage to create more than enough trouble with it. A recent change in how the background service spawns made it completely take down XBMC just a few seconds after starting the program, until an old script left behind was manually removed. The newest version would crash at random intervals, making scrobbling and sync stop working without restarting XBMC. Now on the second-to-latest version everything is perfectly stable, so I'll just hold off on upgrading as long as they don't break API compatibility.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

jonathan posted:

I'm using a 3TB NAS and use XBMC 12.2 to watch content. This is done via an htpc in the theater room and soon I will be using a small zotac for upstairs in the living room.

Can someone explain what I would gain from using a MySQL database ? I see it talked about often here.

Alternatively, could I just create a trakt account and gain much of the same functionality ?

With a MySQL database you would only have to scan files into your library once, instead of doing it on every device. It also enables some cool features like being able to stop playback on one device and resuming on another. There is no "offline mode", so the machine hosting the database has to be powered whenever you want to use XBMC. If you can run MySQL on the NAS you might as well go for it. trakt only covers synchronization of watched status.

Edit: I'm slow.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Ether Frenzy posted:

Just built a HTPC and put the latest XBMC on, and it's only seeing the content from 2 of the 3 drives I have shared from another network location -- it will see and identify the 3rd one ("Archived II") but it doesn't pull any of the video content from it.

Any ideas?

Are you saying that you can't access any videos from the share in XBMC's :filez: view? Or that they don't have any metadata?

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

The pHo posted:

And to absolutely zero surprise - XBMC falling over on my iMac when I start it this morning. Nothing in the log line to explain why, removed Trakt folder and now everything works as normal.

What the gently caress is it with this plugin? I've tried it since the very beginning across two different plugins and it's always caused so many problems. Annoying as hell because it's a good service, a good idea but just doesn't bloody work.

Check if you have a file in your userdata folder called autoexec.py, and remove trakt from it if present. That was what made XBMC crash on my Arch Linux setup.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

DarkSol posted:

So, I'm running OpenELEC 3.0.4, and when I install the suggested Maraschino plug-in, and start it up, it whines that it is out of date.

I then update Maraschino and it no longer works. Has anyone else encountered this?

I haven't encountered it but when you install software through a package manager it's usually not a good idea to try and update it through its own updater, you may be better off disabling the notifier in the settings. The thing probably didn't have write permission to complete the upgrade and got borked because of it.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

DarkSol posted:

What's the best way to update it then? (I'd honestly rather not just ignore the problem.)

Not being updated to the latest git revision is not a problem, though. Since you installed maraschino through a package repository, the best way to update would be waiting for the maintainers to push an updated package.

You could file a ticket in OpenELEC's issue tracker requesting that they update it, or fetch the latest version and try to get the thing running yourself.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
Reading the article I thought it was pretty clear the kit doesn't come with an RPi, it's just an assorted collection of cheap cables, a preloaded SD card and some shoddy remote for those too lazy to put together their own gear.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

kloa posted:

Sorting troubles.

Sounds like you've unintentionally changed sort order, episode number is the default. In your TV show library there should be a side pane or some kind of hidden menu where you can revert the setting.

Edit: what skin was that? Sorting is governed by XBMC itself so every skin should have the option...

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
RetroPlayer got its own forum on xbmc.org and is in active development as an experimental branch, pulling in the latest code from XBMC's master branch every now and then. I wouldn't expect it to become stable enough in time for inclusion in Gotham, but we'll just have to see how far it progresses and if garbear even decides to put it up for review.

If you want to check it out, there are unofficial Windows builds available here. Linux users will have to pull the code from github and compile it themselves.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

When I used to press "OK" on my remote while playing a video, it would show me details like what time it would be when the video ends. These details are now gone, now it just shows a list of icons at the top and a small timeline bar at the bottom. How do I get the full details back? I'm using Aeon Nox.

Icons as in the menu icons or just media logos? I get all the neat details you mention when I press "info" on my remote, and the "menu" button logically pops up the menu.

If it is actually the info screen you're calling, go check the advanced skin options under settings, there might be a toggle in there.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Drevoak posted:

So my AD10 with openelec is now bootlooping. If I unplug the ethernet then it will boot fine and I can plug the ethernet back in but will still crash the second it attempts to update the database. I've wiped the system, rolled back to the stable version and it still bootloops once I copy over my advance/source settings. My other computers w/ xbmc have no problems. I am almost positive that it has something to do with my mySQL database considering my logs are filled with mysql errors. I'm just surprised that trying to update a database will cause the system to crash. The log just states that it is having issues connecting to the mysql which I don't understand why it is.

Error Log

So did XBMC crash at the end of the session you posted the log for? Because I'm not seeing anything about it.

Is the MySQL server still running at address 192.168.1.4? Try sshing into the system and pinging that address if it's correct.
http://openelec.tv/forum/12-guides-tips-and-tricks/887-guide-guide-for-ssh-within-openelec

(Turns out the OpenELEC root password is hardcoded, that's really horrible from a security perspective. Glad I never used this thing.)

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Drevoak posted:

Sorry I guess I shouldn't have said crash, once it starts scanning the screen will go black with a small X in the middle then show the main menu again and attempt to scan again, repeat forever. The MySQL server still works fine, my other XBMC can see it and update it.

Alright, but did you verify that the IP address it tries to connect to is correct? Did you also try connecting to the system running OpenELEC and pinging the address from there?

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
Is it a trivial process to install/upgrade sabnzbd and friends straight from git on OpenELEC?

If not, get XBMCbuntu. Or even just plain Xubuntu, it's not like installing XBMC and making it autostart on boot will take more than five minutes. Then you have a complete system running underneath, instead of a minimal embedded OS designed to power XBMC with every other function being an afterthought.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
I've never had any feature break in Aeon Nox, like, at all, man. They do like to switch things up for new major releases though.

Now, the Aeon skins that were derived from the original spaghetti codebase were an entirely different story... Breaking left and right if I even dared to look away for a moment.

So I tried a build of the RetroPlayer branch the other day, and it performed well in my extensive testing (I played one SNES game for five minutes). For now you seem to be limited to the options XBMC offers for regular video upscaling, which means no nearest-neighbor setting. I can't stand bilinear filtering of my pixels so I quit there.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Bucket Joneses posted:

Did you play the game with a Bluetooth controller, by chance?

Nope, only tried on the keyboard on my Windows laptop. The only Bluetooth controller I have is a DS3, which I think is recognized as an Xbox 360 with that unofficial XInput wrapper thing, and they autoconfigure for the 360 pad.

Couldn't find a way to configure controls within XBMC, so I think you'd manually have to write in keymap.xml for now at least.

I'm honestly not that hyped to play with RetroPlayer, as I have a perfectly fine RetroArch setup going on console already. For me it's more about the cool factor of emulator cores running natively inside XBMC, and the boost that this might give to the libretro project when included in the master branch.

Speaking of inclusion, it looks like garbear is gearing up and getting ready to submit RetroPlayer pretty soon, with only a few more portions of code left to redactor.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=173153

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
So I decided to install TvTunes the other day, and what a piece of poo poo it was. Not the actual add-on, which worked fairly well, but the televisiontunes.com site it uses to fetch theme music. It didn't have any tunes for half my shows, which is alright, you can't expect everything to have been prepared. What it was able to fetch was the problem. There's absolutely no kind of normalization applied to the files, so the audio goes all over the place. To counter this you are able to lower the volume in TvTunes' settings, but it doesn't help much when many shows are still way too loud while others become nearly silenced. Then half the files are uploaded in such horrid poo poo quality it'll make you just want mute the TV when they start playing.

I think the concept of having show themes (and possibly movie themes) played when you navigate to them is a neat idea to improve the XBMC experience, but building it on top of a trash site like this addon does makes it a lost effort for now. If someone forked the thing and made an "xbmctunes" type site with strict quality and volume rules, proper organization, matching against thetvdb/themoviedb show id's and so forth it could become really good, but as it is the plugin is a waste of time if you don't want to prepare everything by yourself.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

EC posted:

I don't know why Harmony/activitiy-based remotes haven't caught on either. Every single person I've ever set one up for loves them, and I don't think I could live with 6 remotes on my coffee table at this point.
Probably because most people have at most two remotes, one for the TV and one for the DVR. Usually you're able to control the most common TV tasks from the DVR remotes, so there's no need to go out and buy another one. Only hardcore media junkies use them.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Le0 posted:

I wanted to ask something, I've been using XBMC for years but I still don't have a proper solution to handle fanarts. How do you guys manage/get them? I have on my NAS, sickbeard/couchpotato + sabnzbd that does the download to my library but after that? Can I just let XBMC scrap the fanart? This is something really not clear for me.

I just point XBMC at my files and let it scrape show info, fanart and episode thumbnails. Does it have to be more complicated than that?

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Le0 posted:

Oh okay I guess it was automatic so I never noticed it do its job, I wanted a bit more variety so I'm tried using Artwork Downloader and it downloaded a bunch of stuff. Anyone use this addon? I noticed now when browsing it started loading new pictures and slowing down the browsing. I hope once stuff is cached everything is back to normal

Artwork Downloader works fine, yeah, but I wouldn't be surprised if it slows things down. I made it fetch everything by mistake once when I just wanted logos and clearart so I have extrafanart downloaded all over the place. Changing backgrounds stress me out and make it harder to recognize the shows I'm looking for so I turned it immediately. :blush:

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
It's happening!
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/3335/

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

SurgicalOntologist posted:

E: weird, I tried to see if I could play something through the http interface, it worked, then I stopped it and the main menu came back up.
Maybe it had loaded the skin midway through the process of updating it? Or just some weird glitch you hit?

The other day I couldn't get the playtime OSD thing to go away during video playing no matter what I tried until I finally did a restart and had everything back to normal.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

I don't think that's it since it persisted after a reboot. It turns out pressing 'esc' on my BT keyboard brings the menu up, so I'll just have to reprogram one of the buttons on my flirc remote to 'esc' until I figure out what's going on.
Just a hunch, but go check what it says under settings -> skin -> startup window.

In an unrelated issue, I was playing with the library views and chose one with infinite wrap. Usually I would press 'left' (on the left-most item) to bring up the views menu, but now when I press left it wraps around to the last item. I can't figure out how to change the view. There must be another hotkey for this. Anyone know it?
That sounded like a very inconvenient way to access the menu anyway. It depends on the skin and viewtype, but you probably just have to tap up twice (at least this is how you do it on Aron).

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
If you want to be able to use your setup without an SQL server running at all times, configuring your XBMC install to be completely dependant on one probably wasn't a good idea.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

FISHMANPET posted:

I have sickbeard put the quality of a file in the filename, and then have it replace with better quality. XBMC sees these as two separate episodes, 1 of which exists and one doesn't exist. If I watched the first quality and then the file gets replaced, the new file is no longer watched.

Other than Trakt, is there any way to reconcile these watched statuses?

You could... use trakt. Or switch to a naming scheme that doesn't include quality, although I can understand why you'd want to have the info in there. XBMC's watched values are completely based around files instead of library entries.

trakt has been working great on my setup for over a year now, instead of causing crashes and generally not submitting every other play as it used to. Whenever I add stuff to my library it checks and sets watched status automatically, it's really neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

There's your problem, use Aeon Nox instead. Favorites should be set up and working by default there anyway.