Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I was asked to explain nfo files in the HTPC thread.

Thermopyle posted:

Hey, go explain this in the XBMC thread! There's several regularly occurring shows on YouTube that would be nice to integrate as "TV Shows".

Note: it may be easier and more appropriate to update the scraper databases instead of creating custom files. Be default, XBMC uses TheTVDB for TV shows and The Movie Database for movies. I use this only for things that don't belong in the databases, but that I want to still see in XBMC (eg, custom movie for DVD special features, custom TV Show for shorts from a longer episode). The initial question came up for adding YouTube clips to XBMC and things like Bee and Puppycat, Mighty Car Mods, AVGN, etc already have entries in the database; it is appropriate to add YouTube shows to TheTVDB.

I'll start with movie files as they're easier:
1) Create a file with the exact same name as your movie file, but ending in .nfo (eg, "Pulp Fiction 1994.nfo"). Save the .nfo file in the same location as the video.
2) Copy the code out of this page: http://kodi.wiki/view/NFO_files/movies from <movie> to </movie>.
3) Fill out the info! You can delete rows that you don't need. I usually just keep the name, run time, plot, and director/actor information.
4) Pull up XBMC, update the library, and the info should show up. If the video was added before creating the .nfo file, you'll have to refresh the data. It will pop up a box saying that local information was found (the .nfo file) and if you want to ignore it and use a scraper. Say "no".

TV Shows are very similar, but a little more involved. You will need a file for the TV Show, then one for every episode.
1) Create a file named "tvshow.nfo" exactly (not the name of the show). Save this file in the root directory of the TV show.
2) Copy the code from this page: http://kodi.wiki/view/NFO_files/tvshows and fill out what you need. This is info for the TV show as a whole.
3) Create an .nfo file for every episode. These will be named exactly the same as the episode video files (eg, "Superjail! - S01e00 - Bunny Love.nfo"). Each file needs to be saved in the same location as the video file.
4) Copy the code from this page: http://kodi.wiki/view/NFO_files/tvepisodes and fill out what you need. This is info for the individual episode.
5) Update your library same as with custom movies.

The only thing left is adding images.
For movies, poster images should have an aspect ratio of 1:1.5.
For TV shows, I follow the guidelines at TheTVDB
-posters at 680x1000
-banners at 758x140
-episode images at 400x300 (4:3 aspect ratio) or 400x225 (16:9 aspect ratio)).
Fan art for both is either 1280x720 or 1920x1080.

Save those files somewhere you can find them, then edit the information of the movie/TV show/TV episode in XBMC, and browse for the local art on your computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

This is very useful information that should definitely go in the OP.

However, I actually meant how are you getting youtube shows into XBMC as TV Shows!

Oh! I download the files from YouTube. I'm not actually linking the YouTube videos themselves.

(does this fall under :filez: ?)

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I hope this doesn't fly too close to :filez:

I've been buying The Walking Dead through Xbox Video or Zune or whatever it's calling itself now. It was a good idea when I used an Xbox 360 as my entertainment hub, but now it's annoying that I'm using an HTPC. I can play them through MS's Video app in Windows 8, but would much rather catalog the series in XBMC with everything else.

Is there a good way of doing this? You can download files to your hard drive, but they are full of DRM, so XBMC can't do anything with them (I don't think). Maybe a way of stripping the DRM out?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Bigass Moth posted:

Can I get a skin recommendation that let's me pin addons to the main menu? Is that even possible?

You can with the stock confluence skin and some file editing, but it's not super simple.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

My friend was asking me if there's a way of filtering the movie list by rating. He was thinking of showing only G or PG movies when the nieces and nephews come over so he doesn't need to supervise as they flip through hundreds of ultra violent action flicks to find ParaNorman.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

That's a good idea. I'll pass it along. Thanks.

http://kodi.wiki/view/Smart_playlists

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

When you link a movie to a TV show, is there a way to control where it shows up besides alphabetical? Ex, having the Batman 66 movie pop up between seasons 1 and 2 or the Kids in the Hall movie showing up after season 5.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

jonathan posted:

XBMC Cinema Experience demo playing Oblivion: http://youtu.be/XNGr4t99jwA

Your video there is private, bub.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I have a similar thing happening occasionally with my Windows 8 HTPC where the desktop and windows look fine, but the content inside the windows is huge. A quick fix for the problem is the go to my resolution settings, bump it down a notch, bump it back to 1080p, and everything resets. It's way faster than rebooting the machine.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I'm using the ROM Collection Browser. Is there any way to add it to the main Kodi screen so I don't have to look for it in Add-ons or Favorites?

Depends on the skin. Some are easy, some require some hacking.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I'm working on migrating my files from my HTPC to a home server. Will changing the source of the files wipe my library? I'm concerned about keeping my movie poster selections and watch status.

Is there a way to export a file with the watch status in case things go bad so I can manually redo it?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I set up a home server (note: I've never done this before and I'm pretty bad at networking in general), put my movies on there, and created a MySQL database. Other than accidentally deleting my library backups (oops), I think I have it working right. Kodi finds my movies on the network drive and any changes I make on my HTPC reflect on my desktop.

But, I have one minor issue. I have a few custom TV shows and movies, which show up in my library thanks to custom *.nfo files. For them, I chose some local image files for the artwork on my HTPC. When I pull them up on my desktop, the images come up blank. Not even the default folder icon, an empty box.

I'm assuming this is because the image files aren't being found in the same location on the desktop, right? I mean, I have the images on both devices thanks to OneDrive, but the file paths to the images are different. Should I go through the trouble of moving the images to the server so both devices can find them, or is there a different issue I'm not seeing?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

This doesn't work for a lot of extras, but I have taken some really long extras (like the 2+ hour ones on the Alien DVDs) and made them a separate, custom movie title. That way, they show up next to the movie itself (I edit the sort title so they show up together). If you have lots of shorter features that can't be easily combined into one, then having a bunch of titles would get annoying. You could play with sets, but I never really did that.

I don't see why you couldn't do the same thing with TV shows. I just don't know if you can mix custom videos with ones in the database under a single TV show title. I never tried. The only extras I've gotten from TV shows were from the Batman '66 DVDs, and those were included in TheTVDB as specials, so they were pulled in automatically.

This requires custom *.nfo files. I made a write up about them here. It's not hard, but it gets tedious with TV shows as you need to make a file for each episode.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I know Kodi can handle it if you have one video file with multiple episodes, you just have to name it properly. You do it by naming the file "s01e01e02e03" (obviously with the correct season and episode numbers typed in). If you do that, all the episodes will show up.

The problem at this point is that if you play the second (or third) episode, it plays the file from the beginning. What you need to do is find the break point in the file, go set a bookmark, and set an episode bookmark. That way, when you play the second episode, it will start at the correct spot.

You'll still get some issues. The first episode will continue to the end of the file, playing all the other episodes. Marking one watched marks all the others. Also, if you stop watching one episode, playing another will ask you if you want to resume where the first left off.

Unfortunately, none of this works with Animaniacs. Instead of naming the episodes "1, 2, 3, etc", they are named "1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 2.1, 2.2, etc". The scraper doesn't like the periods and stops looking after the first one. So, Kodi only lists the first segment instead of all the segments or the entire episode.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jul 22, 2015

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

g0del posted:

Animaniacs scrapes fine if you use the aired names, not the dvd names. Then it's the standard "s01e01e02e03", though I'll admit it's an incredible pain getting all the files named correctly since thetvdb gives each separate segment it's own episode name and there's anywhere from 1 to 6 segments per half-hour show.

Oh, good to know. Now to see if it's worth it going through 99 shows and setting it all up!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

The Gunslinger posted:

I've personally had little success in getting anything fixed at thetvdb (some shows are locked down and/or the mods go nuts over a change) but that's certainly an option.

Yeah, it took me three months to get them to fix Aeon Flux where they had two season 2, episode 1s listed.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Just remembered a question: I set up the Aeon Nox skin on my HTPC. I don't want to go through all the trouble to manually setup my desktop to work the same. Is there a way of copying the settings from one computer to another?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

evilalien posted:

The location of the file differs per platform, but if you can find the guisettings.xml file in the Kodi userdata folder, you can just copy over the entire <skinsettings> block to the same file on the new machine to have the skin setup exactly the same. You may have to go and manually adjust any skin setting that uses a filepath though (like custom backgrounds or anything like that).

Thanks. This almost worked! It didn't carry over the view/sorting of the libraries or the setup of the submenus, but everything else was good. Saved me a ton of work.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

ConanThe3rd posted:

Get a good wireless Keyboard / touchpad and a Xbox 360 remote (those go for pennies these days).

This is what I do. It's the easiest way to go from Kodi to Netflix to YouTube to sites like Nostalgia Critic's or Cinnemassacre. And it lets me watch Hulu without Hulu Plus.

It's not ideal, but as I'm the only one using the system, it works for me.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

ConanThe3rd posted:

Is it really that more complex if you're going for a multi person dealy?

Depends on the person. My friend that uses a keyboard and mouse can use it just fine, my sister can deal with it if she must, and I wouldn't even try teaching it to my parents as they still call me all the time to ask how to use their cable box ("just press the record button to record a show. no, the one with the red circle.").

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Cornjob posted:

i wish there were kotkeys( the "S" key, perhaps) that simple brought up a subtitle menu.

"L" toggles between the subtitles (including "OFF"). "T" turns them on and off.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I didn't pay attention to setting forced subtitles when I ripped my DVDs, so I'm fine with them playing automatically. If they show up when the movie plays, I'm okay with toggling them off. If they don't show up, there's a good chance there's something being translated later in the movie!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Try "Clean Library" from the settings menu.
http://kodi.wiki/view/Settings/Videos

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Porkchop Express posted:

Is there a way to set a scraper for just one TV show and let the rest use TVDB?

If I go to Videos -> Files, find the folder of a TV show, press "C", and select "Change Content", I get this screen.

From there, looks like you can hit "get more" to find other scrapers and select which one you want to use.

I've never done this before, but I'm assuming this is a show specific option, so it should mess up other shows.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

uapyro posted:

The part I'm trying to figure out is how to get to preset folders set for the TV Shows and Movies category.

Have you set the folders to be movie and TV Show folders as needed, then scanned the videos into your library? It sounds like your just looking at the file manager at the moment.

Here's a lot of technical instructions.
http://kodi.wiki/view/Video_management

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

jonathan posted:

I loved emby but had to go back to normal vanilla kodi scraping. It wouldn't pick up random shows, such as Metalocalypse. And then some of my Metal documentary shows would have fanart from Friends.

WTF thats the biggest troll ever.

When I redid my library, both Kodi and Plex would scrape The Simpsons as Jessica Simpson's The Price of Beauty.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

wolfbiker posted:

I just use Confluence on my five Kodi devices. I can't be bothered to manually gently caress with them all to change to a different skin, unless there's some way to sync skins and settings that I'm not familiar with.

Last time I asked, the answer was "kinda, but you still need to tweak a bunch of things".

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Ixian posted:

The stuff you have to tweak is generally not skin-specific when importing.

I am using Aeon Nox and, granted, my Kodi install is a couple updates behind. But when I imported the skin settings, I still had to do things like reorder/show/hide main menu option (ie, Movies, TV Shows, Music, etc) and adjust the views within each of those sections. It barely saved me any work.

If things are getting better, that's great. I mainly just run on one device and don't feel the need to update anytime soon, so it's good enough for me.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Is there a way to turn OFF support for the Xbox One controller? My controller seems twitchy and if I go from Steam to Kodi without turning off the controller, it'll send a signal and start seeking forward through the video at 32x when I look at it wrong.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

:woop:

Thanks

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Xavier434 posted:

Ok so if I get one of these remotes with an FLIRC then you are saying that I will get the following:

1. A single button that will immediately switch me to the HDMI input of my Roku.
2. A different button that will immediately switch me to the HDMI input of my PC media center running Kodi.
3. The remote can fully control both my media center and Roku.
4. The remote can control the basic functionality of my TV like volume and so forth.

Is that right? If so then I think that this is probably the easiest solution for me unless I decide to go nuts with my money and buy one of those new Sony TVs just announced at CES or something.

I have an older Harmony and just got my parents a new 650.
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/harmony-remote-650

Basically, you input all your devices into the Harmony software. Then, you set up activities and select the devices that they control. Eg, "Watch TV" would include the TV, the receiver, and the satellite dish. You'd also have to tell it which inputs you need for each device. For the most basic setup, a single button press on the remote will turn on all the devices, switch their inputs to the correct ones, and program the buttons to control the specific devices. Usually, the remote will be "all the buttons control the satellite box", but the volume buttons will control either the TV or receiver (depending on your setup). You can drill down further to customize your controls manually to do any sort of things. Like, I used to have an activity that controlled my Xbox, except the volume buttons controlled my receiver, and I had a custom control created to change my TV's aspect ratio. Once the activity is running, there is no more switching of inputs or anything that needs to be done with the remote; it just works.

You can create any number of activities and set three (on the 650 remote) to be single button presses, the rest to be selected through the LCD screen. So for your case, you can have the "Watch TV" button boot up the Roku and the "Watch Movie" button boot up the HTPC.

There are additional power options that you can play with. You can have it automatically shut down devices as you switch activities (default, I personally don't like this behavior) or you can have it leave certain devices on 24/7 (like my parents' cable box that takes forever to boot up and would cancel DVR functions if turned off). When you hit the Power Off button, the remote turns all your devices off (other the ones set to 24/7 operation).

For the PC side, the FLIRC takes any input you send it and converts it to a button press. You literally tell it "this is the signal for 'A'", then press the button on your remote to send the signal and teach the FLIRC. The only thing you need to do with the Harmony is to make sure you send a unique signal to the FLIRC. You don't want to use the TV or Roku signal to control your HTPC as your other devices will also pick it up and react. There are generic Media Center devices in the Harmony library that you can use for that activity. Just program every button press on the Harmony to correspond with the Kodi shortcut and you're good to go.

It's a little bit of setup, but once it's done, your flow can be:
-Have Roku and HTPC running 24/7.
-Press "Watch TV".
-Harmony turns on the TV and receiver, switches the inputs to show the Roku signal, and sets itself up to control the Roku while controlling the receiver's volume.
-Press "Watch Movie".
-Harmony switches the inputs to show the HTPC signal, and sets itself up to control the HTPC while controlling the receiver's volume.
-Press "Off".
-Harmony turns off your TV and receiver.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Ember Media Manager seems like it can scrape the info for a single file and write *.nfo and artwork files automatically.
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=191781

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Yeah, it's an *.nfo file creator/editor. I'm not super happy with the layout of the program, but it makes it easy to edit many files at once (I still tend to do it manually when it's a one-off thing).

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

Yeah, I haven't used something like Ember in years. Kodi just scrapes and its fine.

(Well I guess for the past few months Emby is doing the scraping now.)

I need to edit nfo files every now and then. I can go on for paragraphs complaining about how Kodi/TVDB handle The Animaniacs to where my easiest solution was to just write the drat files myself.

I also add a lot of weird one off things to my library. I like to rip the special features off of DVDs and those usually require a custom nfo file. Most recently I ripped a DVD of New Order music videos that didn't appear in any databases and it was easier just to fill out that info manually.

Question about Emby: does it read nfo files and does it do "dvd order" for for TV shows? Those two things keep me from using Plex more often. There's some stuff that I can edit manually and just live with, but, for example, I'm not going to fix nearly 100 Futurama episodes manually because I ripped them in DVD order and Plex only does aired date.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Is there a command that takes you back from whatever screen you are on to the video that is currently playing?

Usage:
I'll go TV Shows -> The Simpsons -> Season 3 and pick an episode to play.
As the episode is playing, I'll hit the back button and see the list of episodes in season 3 of The Simpsons. (I dunno, I want to see what's up next or look at the episode info, whatever.)
To get back to the episode playing in the background, I need to go back to the main Kodi screen (TV Shows/Movies/Music/etc), then hit "back" one more time. A) This takes a lot of button presses. B) This means I'm not automatically kicked back to the list of episodes once the current one ends.

I'd like to skip all that and hit just one button to go back to the episode in progress.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

EC posted:

Haven't tried it, but you probably want the FullScreen command. See here for details: http://kodi.wiki/view/Keymap

Yay! FYI, it's "TAB" with the default keyboard controls. Now to decide which button to use on my Harmony. I think I'm using all the easily accessible buttons, but can probably live without "mark watched". Or maybe I should rebind the Guide button as I don't use that very often...

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I have a Harmony 610.

This works for me (left to right, top to bottom):
Menu -> context menu
Exit -> shutdown menu
Guide -> home screen fullscreen (just replaced)
Info -> info

Red -> back (red was "back" on the 360, so it's muscle memory)
Green -> mark as watched
Yellow -> next audio track
Blue -> next subtitle track

Up/Down -> next/previous chapter OR skip forward/back 10 minutes
Left/Right -> skip back/forward 10 seconds

Stop/REW/Prev Chapter/Next Chapter/FF/Play/Pause -> mapped as you'd expect

Edit:
Ch+/- -> page up/down

Uthor fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jan 25, 2016

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

EC posted:

The gently caress is happening in this thread

Therapy.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Get a Flirc. It's pretty great.

https://flirc.tv/

If you need more ports, just get a USB hub. I have all my cables extended to be pointing out next to my TV, anyway, so just having a single cable and a hub there would make it all cleaner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

My one remote controls my TV, receiver, and Kodi. Using my phone would just add a second device I don't need.