Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
If Eru could sing the whole world into existence then the Elves could sing up a nice mezze

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Galadriel is your stoned friend who patiently waits for the pizza to arrive, Elrond is your stoned friend who constantly asks you for updates about when the pizza is going to be here.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Gil-galad drives everyone to Wendy's.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Omnomnomnivore posted:

Happy destruction of the ring day :toot:.

The ring was destroyed on March 25th in Shire-reckoning. This isn't the same as our March 25th. Their dates are about 9 or 10 days ahead.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

The Rings are like powerful edibles, and Sauron is like a giant cosmic tasty chimichanga covered in melted cheese that nobody gets to eat.

The point is to increase his power by giving people either a desire that only he can fulfill or a fear that only he can palliate. Every single being that falls under Sauron's sway falls into either of those two categories.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Hey guys have you ever thought about how

Merry is of the Brandybucks, the people who colonized the Buckland over the water, the frontier people, and he ends up falling in with the Rohirrim, the "new" barbarian-esque people on the marches of the civilized lands.

And Pippin is a blue-blooded Took, of the oldest lineage possible in the Shire, and he ends up falling into service with the Steward of Gondor and taking on ancient responsibilities and carrying out ancient ceremonies.

Almost as if Tolkien did that on purpose.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

The only way it could be more on the nose would be if Banazir Galbasi the gardener was somehow entranced by and obsessed with some race of slowly cultivating gardener people who lived in tune with plants.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

That's why you do missionary work, because it loving sucks how all these really nice people who just happen to haven't heard the good news are going to Hell and you'd like to help them escape their inevitable faultless fate.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Gandalf was kind of experimenting with hobbits, wasn't he? Seeing how far they could go mentally and physically? It's a bit dark when you think about how he's an immortal superbeing and he had this big fascination with the capabilities and capacities of these pretty innocuous little creatures.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Anshu posted:

Experimenting with an eye toward their betterment and ability to defend themselves against the Shadow, yes. It's important to remember that one of Gandalf's defining traits is his compassion.

That still sounds like a scientist of the Mad variety deciding that he wants to create Battle Hamsters.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Okay I'm watching the Extended Edition of ROTK and why is this extended scene at the Grey Havens necessary?? You could've done Tom Bombadil or the scouring of the Shire easily if you just excise this endless sequence. Why?? I am looking forward to the discourse coming around to thinking the Jackson movies are bad.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

If Tolkien had had two perfectly stable middle class parents he would've still written about some demons that don't understand the music the hero listens to or something.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Could the Ring force me to take 14 shots and accidentally leave it in a bar bathroom for another even more weak-willed fool??

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

YaketySass posted:

With the benefit of hindsight leaving Isildur to die for the sake of spending the next centuries buried in mud wasn't the best way of finding a useful bearer.

What if there's just a whole bunch of supposedly lost stuff in the mud of the Gladden Fields? Maybe even a silmaril down there.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

euphronius posted:

The person claimed “the balrog sensed the ring”. I asked for evidence of this claim . The best evidence I can see is

- watcher in water grabbed Frodo first
- orc captain drove spear into Frodo
- balrog is evil

I don’t think that is sufficient evidence to support the claim. Perhaps my level of proof is too high in this instance !!

This really sounds like how right-wingers thought that literally every insurgency and liberation movement of the 1980's was actually secretly organized by the Soviet Union from Moscow. They thought that people from the IRA, ANC, PLO, and Cuban communists were having actual conferences where they were handed orders by Soviet apparatchiks.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

For verisimilitude the Shire scenes should've been filmed in the English countryside and the Mordor scenes should've been filmed in industrial areas of Ukraine.

Teriyaki Hairpiece fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Aug 13, 2021

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I like how in the movies Theoden isn't just stupid and old he's actually magically enchanted and instead of getting invigorated by fresh air and sunshine he's revived by Gandalf magic.

Teriyaki Hairpiece fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Aug 21, 2021

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Data Graham posted:

I mean it’s all just that ATHF episode where the trees skin Carl, just a little less direct about it

quote:

Merry and Pippin dragged themselves forward and lay down with their backs to the willow-trunk. Behind them the great cracks gaped wide to receive them as the tree swayed and creaked. They looked up at the grey and yellow leaves, moving softly against the light, and singing. They shut their eyes, and then it seemed that they could almost hear words, cool words, saying something about tree jail.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Okay I've decided to move on from my years long hatred of the movies for depicting the Pelennor Girls as a flat, featureless plain, and start a new chapter in my life of hating the movies for their depiction of the scene where Gandalf wakes up Theoden.

What the gently caress?? This changes things in so many awful ways. Why was this a smart choice? Why do people like these movies?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Would it really change things if Frodo and Sam were in a sexual relationship while they were on their solo part of the quest?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

skasion posted:

Yeah it would be gross. They’re roughing it for most of a year and hardly ever get to take a proper bath. They probably smell terrible

Also, Gollum is there.

Banging with Gollum around is fine. He's not going to care and he's not going to watch you or pay attention, he's just going to sit there thinking about fish or the Ring or how he's been wronged in some way.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Mahoning posted:

Anyone who thinks the movies are bad just doesn’t want to like them. There are many flaws, they aren’t perfect, and the books will always be better. But drat, there’s so much to love there if you just accept the movies for what they are.

63% of my posts in this thread are just "I started drinking and put on one of the LOTR movies and now I've got some stuff to say". If I really looked back I'd wager that all of my complaints are about the first half of each movie, which I watched before getting too drunk to watch or post.

The books are impossible to adapt perfectly. You have to make some changes. I know and accept that and accept the movies for what they are.

However, some small decisions still stick in my craw. Again, why do the black riders in Fellowship have to be hissing animal monster creatures?? That's an incredibly pointless departure.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

DontMockMySmock posted:

In a book, you can describe a supernatural aura of dread in narration. In a movie, you gotta convey that dread some other way. Making them hissing monsters is a way to get across to the viewer how unsettling they are without having a bunch of characters say it out loud. Maybe that solution is a little too direct, a bit overdone and inelegant, but it's not pointless.

Nah Peter Jackson was absolutely capable of visually conveying that the Nazgul were evil. He didn't need to make them animals who couldn't carry on a conversation. Yet he did. It's incomprehensible.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

quote:

The sky was clear and the stars were growing bright. ‘It’s going to be a fine night,’ he said aloud. ‘That’s good for a beginning. I feel like walking. I can’t bear any more hanging about. I am going to start, and Gandalf must follow me.’ He turned to go back, and then stopped, for he heard voices, just round the corner by the end of Bagshot Row. One voice was certainly the old Gaffer’s; the other was strange, and somehow unpleasant. He could not make out what it said, but he heard the Gaffer’s answers, which were rather shrill. The old man seemed put out.

‘No, Mr. Baggins has gone away. Went this morning, and my Sam went with him: anyway all his stuff went. Yes, sold out and gone, I tell’ee. Why? Why’s none of my business, or yours. Where to? That ain’t no secret. He’s moved to Bucklebury or some such place, away down yonder. Yes it is – a tidy way. I’ve never been so far myself; they’re queer folks in Buckland. No, I can’t give no message. Good night to you!’

And in the movie it's a figure who can only screech and say "Shire... Baggins..." Not somebody who would ask to leave a message.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

SHISHKABOB posted:

I think it would be very funny if the gaffer is listening to the movie nazgul and is saying all this poo poo in response just because of how purely hobbit he is.

This would be funny.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Arc Hammer posted:

The Nazgul can also say "give up the halfling, She-Elf!" And the Witch King is pretty articulate in King even if all his lines sound like a WWE wrestler with Ghost King Army Leader as his personality.

No lie, that's a good line of dialogue for a talking action figure.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Someday, in my lifetime, we're going to get someone using the mordhau in a movie or tv show.

It seems like something you could definitely film and would look cool, I don't know why it's been absent for so long!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

My new criticism about the movies: when Gimli tells Legolas that Galadriel gave him three hairs, Legolas should've shitted himself and then ran off to Bree to start a new life

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

WoodrowSkillson posted:

im hopeful it will good, but it is only a fool's hope

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I feel like people have a lot less fun in the movies than the books in general.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/memorialdevice/status/1487543050385637378

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I bet Sam went back and edited in the part where he rejected the Ring just to make himself seem more awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

WarMECH posted:

After my most recent re-read of LOTR I took a closer look at some of the appendices and noticed in the family tree pages that Sam had 13 loving kids, lol. He and Rosie Cotton were quite busy when he returned from his adventure.

After they got back Sam did all the stuff. Everything. He was just fuckin and planting and organizing and Frodo just sat around moping all the time.