Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Arc Hammer posted:

I've never seen the extended hobbit films and after seeing this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXBhEFp93Lc

I think I made the right call.

Why is the video throbbing? Is that some attempt to dodge a copyright strike? Like at 0:35 the tops of the buildings lurch to the left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

WoodrowSkillson posted:

It's different and much better. I assume they gave her some of the good stuff they still have in storage, or did a rush job since they said they had 10 days.

Goon armor-blindness.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Leave me a shibboleth somewhere so that I may know my kind

Growing up in a small American town in the 90s Terry Pratchett was my family's in-joke. Then I get to college and everyone knows it. Felt terrible, I couldn't steal his jokes!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Kemper Boyd posted:

Personally I do enjoy that the reason why Gondor doesn't have a king, is that their last one was a gigantic bro moron.

Eh... in the book he doesn't go all the way up to Doom and then back out which makes him look a lot more chumpish, it's a quick discussion on the battlefield between him Elrond and... guy whose name I don't remember right now... because the other people had been killed by Sauron. He took the ring as weregeld, basically a trophy/payment for the death of his brother and father. So there was pride in taking the ring, but also grief influencing things. He tried to master it during the year he worked to heal his kingdom and prepare to go claim his father's kingdom, but (we're getting into Unfinished Tales here) had wisdom to know it couldn't be done and was going to seek Elrond's council again when they were ambushed, using it only as a last resort when everyone else trying to escape had been killed.

The Stewards are because Isildur said "you're in charge until I get back, look after the place for me," he never came back, and they took that promise seriously.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

skasion posted:

Nah there’s 2000 years of kings in Gondor after Isildur leaves. The last king of Gondor was a guy who got a message from the Witch King of Angmar literally saying “1v1 me bro” and thought it would be a good idea

Well shoot, I got all mixed up then. Sorry.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Blood Boils posted:

On the other hand, how often are you gonna take "stay safe" advice from someone named glorfindel

You only ignore it once.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

keep punching joe posted:

I do own it, but have never managed more than a page or two before giving up. Am I doing wrong?

Maybe I'll try reading along with the olsen silmarillion lectures.

What had it click for me was reading it as Biblical rather than as a storybook, if that makes sense. It has that distant viewpoint style of the Torah and other old epics, mostly talking about what people did and how they felt rather than having them do and feel those things. Once I engaged with it on those terms I was able to enjoy it.

That said, if it's not for you it's not for you. There's interesting stories in there, but nothing worth constantly needing to wrestle with the text for. I had a copy as well because why not, and I think it took me four attempts before I was in the right headspace to get into it. And that was "it's a free afternoon, maybe I'll give it another go", if someone had pushed me into it I'd have tossed the thing.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Mar 25, 2023

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

samcarsten posted:

I'm imagining Gandalf taking off his robe, anime style, and just being buff as hell, intimidating Saruman out of Théoden's head.

Gandalf is a Yakuza character. Throws off the robe, has a massive tattoo under there.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

euphronius posted:

The council of Elrond was a lot of politicking I think but “off screen “

Most of the politicking was getting them to show up in the first place. Once there Gandalf and Elrond showed how the pieces each of them had fit together and Gandalf made his case.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Alhazred posted:

"You sure they saw the fire?"
"I'm pretty sure."
"Oh, good. It's not like the faith of the free world depends on them seeing the fire, so you don't have to be completely sure."
"...fine! I'll wave to make sure they see it, happy?"

I've waved at hot air balloons on the horizon. Same energy.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I figure ideally it would have backup messengers as well. Signal fires to raise the Alarm and start mustering, then a rider with details. In the movie's case no extra message was necessary.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

YaketySass posted:

Isn't that explicitly the case in the book with the guy bringing the red arrow?

If I parsed it right, in the books the signal fires are for raising the alarm within Gondor, and then messengers sent from there as necessary.

quote:

Pippin became drowsy again and paid little attention to Gandalf telling him of the customs of Gondor, and how the Lord of the City had beacons built on the tops of outlying hills along both borders of the great range, and maintained posts at these points where fresh horses were always in readiness to bear his errand-riders to Rohan in the North, or to Belfalas in the South. ‘It is long since the beacons of the North were lit,’ he said; ‘and in the ancient days of Gondor they were not needed, for they had the Seven Stones.’

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Ravenfood posted:

That's how I read it too but I assume something as major as the Red Arrow comes from Minas Tirith.

"We've only got one of these and this month it's our tower's turn. Don't lose it."

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

YaketySass posted:

When the Elvensmith first heard Sauron pronounce the incantation on the Ring, was it in Black Speech too?

Sauron forged it himself in secret didn't he?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Nessus posted:

The 'treating the narrative as something you found rather than something you assembled' does seem to come up here and there, I know Stephen King is a big advocate of it in his writing books. After Tolkien's time, of course (if obviously aware of the former)

I enjoy that Bram Stoker's Dracula is basically a found-footage horror story. I don't recall any meta-narrative about how the book found its way to the reader, whether Stoker pretended he didn't write the thing, but you're reading assembled letters and news clippings and then halfway through the characters say "hey, we should make a Book about all this stuff to keep it straight" and even start writing their portions with awareness that it's being archived.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

thumper57 posted:

I’ve always thought Boromir outright lied about having that dream, cause he was jealous of his cooler wimpier brother getting messages from god.

My understanding wasn't jealousy, but rather "Faramir's getting ignored, I believe him, what if I said I'd had it too?"