Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Re: catapult, trebuchet and siege talk

I don't know if these blog post series have made an appearance ITT (I suspect they might've), but a military historian dude does a deep dive on Helm's Deep and Pelennor/Siege of Minas Tirith in the books and films. They're pretty fun and interesting

https://acoup.blog/2019/05/10/collections-the-siege-of-gondor/

https://acoup.blog/2020/05/01/collections-the-battle-of-helms-deep-part-i-bargaining-for-goods-at-helms-gate/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

is Aman totally free of Morgoth's taint (or Melkor's gooch, if you want to get technical)? I thought all of Arda was tainted from the very beginning.

Or did Aman become untainted when it became separate and (mostly) inaccessible after the downfall of Númenor?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAtQkqdSS0s

a pretty good interview on toldinstone with this medievalist guy i hadn't heard of before but who does a good takedown of other fantasy (got) and why tolkien's work is different

Ah, that's Bret Devereaux, he writes this interesting blog:

https://acoup.blog/

It's well worth a read

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

The Incredible Tulk versus Macho Manwë and Ulmo the Undertaker

lmao

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

My partner and I finished the extended editions last night (took a couple weeks! We split them into two hour chunks). She didn't know anything about Tolkien or LOTR when we started, assumed the whole thing was kinda boneheaded silly nerd stuff, it had all just sorta passed her by.

Anyway she cried multiple times watching it and then stayed up way too late reading all about Tolkien, and told me this morning she's now an avowed convert lol

It's a shame she'll probably never have the time to read LOTR, the Sil, etc., because she's a very busy academic. But she has experienced a splintered fragment of the true light, and she was profoundly moved by it

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Whenever Jackson faltered, Howard Shore swooped in to rescue the moment.

Much like Star Wars, I think the LOTR trilogy is made by the soundtrack. In my relatively uninformed opinion I feel like it's the only part that Tolkien would've unreservedly loved

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

Okay but how would Tolkien feel about Blind Guardian?

The same way any human being feels about Blind Guardian - totally stoked

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Anything where there's an Ainur-level throwdown ought to take inspiration from Evan Palmer's illustrated take on the first bit of the Ainulindalë.

gently caress

Yes

That is absolutely beautiful

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Omnomnomnivore posted:

IIRC McKellan's commentary track says that he thinks that speech is a bunch of bullshit and the kind of thing leaders say to get men to die in war, but they paid him to say it so :lol:

Lol McKellan like his best mate Patrick Stewart in apparently fundamentally misunderstanding his character and material

Still does a drat fine job if it though

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Halflings in a half hell
Eru's power!

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

YaketySass posted:

The Valar really didn't want the hassle of sending his rear end back

Fairly sure the Valar had nothing to do with that, though I'm certainly open to correction?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Well, yeah, he was french after all

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

I mean, he built his career hanging out with fascists at home, so it wouldn't be at all surprising

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Haha that rules

Gandalf rules

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Anshu posted:

Nonetheless I personally believe that when Dagor Dagorath comes, a legion of healed orcs will march forth from Valinor to do battle against their ancient tormentor.

Hell yes :black101:

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Data Graham posted:

It's also a big subtextual deal that not only are the Valar incapable of taking away the Gift of Death from Men, that's not just some coy way of saying "hey don't feel TOO bad about only living for a century or so, Elves just get real bored", it's dealing with forces even the Valar are unaware of—namely that when Men die they go live with Ilúvatar. And that's eternal. The Elves and Arda will last for thousands of years but it will eventually end, and so will they. They envy Men and their true immortality, or would if they were made capable of it.

So the Valar meddling with Men's fates is way beyond their abilities. But they're taking a big gamble that what will happen to Lúthien and Idril and Arwen is that they'll somehow be promoted to whatever it is Men do beyond the world; but that's way beyond the Valar's remit and they can only guess at what Ilúvatar has in mind for them.

Am I right in remembering that it's said or at least implied somewhere that it's not just "kaput" for the Elves and Dwarves when Arda ends? Like, they'll get re-made and get to hang out forever in Arda unmarred, IIRC?

'Cause otherwise that does seem like a pretty raw deal for them

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

I wonder, then, if the valar are tied to Arda til it ends? Tulkas came late, so it seems ainur can come in after the beginning, but could he equally just say 'yeah, I've had enough of this place, imma scoot, peace out' and go back to hang out with Eru?

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Feb 15, 2024

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Ah, well there you go then!

Suckers

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

skasion posted:

Heresy. Nienna is the realest of the gods

:hai:

She was the making of Gandalf, he'd have been in a lot more danger of Sarumanning his own rear end without her learnings

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

euphronius posted:

I think you are right. But also the trees were gone by then ?

Yeah the idea was to fix them via the light of the silmarils but that would involve breaking them and that was no bueno by Feänor

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

zoux posted:

I know that the popular conception of what a balrog looks like was driven by that one calendar image, and perpetuated by the movies (It is a great loving design) but I also wonder how much the lifting fact that "balrog" sounds like a hideous monster is doing.

I've seen this referenced as a (more) book accurate depiction of a balrog. It also looks cool, but I don't think it has a patch over the winged, demonic balrog

This one is cool, especially if it kinda floated around like one of the bodies in Control or Death Stranding or something. Go for uncanny rather than sheer hulking physical menace

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

skasion posted:

Thranduil is 100% the poor relation. Wine baron in the backcountry. Descended from a mere courtier of Elu-Thingol. Probably doesn’t even know any high elves. And he’s got a dungeon…how gauche can you get. They’d let Celeborn have a ring first.

Lol Celeborn? That nerd??

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Tom Smykowski posted:

Re reading the Hobbit and lotr directly after the Silmarillion has me wondering if Tulkas wants to stomp Sauron more than he did Morgoth or less??

I feel like it'd be a less interesting fight for him? He already fought the end game Superboss, and he does love a challenge. The amount of runes he'd get from Sauron might feel a bit pitiful in comparison

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Tom Smykowski posted:

I like how Gildor and the other elves don't say poo poo when they run into Frodo and crew right after a Black Rider was trying to sniff them out.

No hint of "oh gently caress we know the entire history of this one", just like "hmm come with us for a long rear end walk"

SEP, baby! That's for those nerds in Rivendell to figure out, they're off to catch the Cirdan Express