Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Over the course of the last half a year or so I've been slowly rereading LOTR in anticipation of going back to the Silmarillion, after taking a big break from the whole Tolkien thing after watching all three of the extended edition movies in one day. Just got real sick of hobbits for a while there, lol. My tendency when reading is to skim and backtrack a bunch, so I've been forcing myself to read it "out loud" in my head (or sometimes just quietly out loud for real) so I don't miss anything. I also find that helps me get a better idea of what the characters are feeling, because I'm basically scriptreading their dialogue.

Is that weird?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

webmeister posted:

I would guess that a pretty significant fraction of people’s first exposure to The Hobbit was from someone reading it to them

Oh yeah my mom did that

She tried to read me LOTR afterwards but the Nazgul creeped me out too much and I didn't pick the book up for myself until my early teens

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bongo Bill posted:

In my imagination, the two blue wizards were exactly the Blues Brothers.

Reaching back over twenty pages and three months to applaud this

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Oracle posted:

It’s literally a part of her body, something only lovers or family members usually get access to.

Also from a magical perspective blood hair and nails could be used to target someone specifically with ill intent and the dwarves and elves have never been very friendly.

I wouldn't know if the rest of the Lorien elves were hip to the whole Feanor thing, but Celeborn probably was. Because of how Galadriel's hair and her refusal of Feanor ties into his creation of the Silmarils, which was the driving factor behind much of the history of Middle-earth, her giving three hairs to Gimli constitutes what is probably the biggest diss of literally all time, and that's including the time Feanor told the god of evil to get the gently caress off his porch

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Arcsquad12 posted:

Fëanor deserved it. Besides, honouring a humbled dwarf asking for a simple gift while being innocent of the connotations is a great way to say screw you to your dickhead uncle.

Hard agree

E: In case it wasn't clear I did mean the diss was on Feanor. Galadriel's clearly being very kind to Gimli even if you don't know the history.

I wonder if there was a, for want of a better word, strategic aspect to it. Like, is she thinking "ok, one way or another the world is obviously going to change soon, time to start getting our peoples reconciled"

Because I can absolutely believe that she would be capable of exercising realpolitik, fulfilling a lordly obligation to her guest, and dunking on Feanor all in one gesture

Phy fucked around with this message at 20:08 on May 14, 2021

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Arcsquad12 posted:

The first two hours is just him getting to Rivendell on the most miserable solo camping trip ever.

Serendipitously, those are all just shots of Sean Bean trekking to the set cause he wouldn't get in a helicopter

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I just learned from the gbs thread that Westron was meant to have a T-V distinction, but it had lapsed in the Shire so Pippin was just blithely strolling around Gondor tu-ing everybody like they were old pals, including Denethor

Remarkably on brand for Pip and it's not even his fault, really

I bet Frodo was aware of it, though

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's largely shitposting about elf dicks etc

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3968986&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Tangentially, I'm still slowly reading through LOTR after a break of some years. Of course I noticed a long time ago that Tolkien starts getting into more high-flown modes of speech as the story proceeds from the Shire to the South, but I think it's only this time that I realized that for the Rohirrim, he'll drop in lines of Beowulfish alliterative verse into the prose. I.e. Theoden assaulting the flag-bearer of the Haradrim, "Out swept his sword, and he spurred to the standard, hewed staff and bearer, and the black serpent foundered." It's fun to watch! I imagine Tolkien with a faint smile on his face, working those into the text.

Theoden and Eomer's battle poems are also in alliterative verse, of course, and I wouldn't be surprised if it happens elsewhere, but it's really noticeable with the Rohirrim sections.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
She gave me three lmao

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

OPAONI posted:

The Balrog came because Gandalf started using magic, which, as he is of Valinor, smells like home cooking to his fellow Maia. You know how cartoon pies release a puff of enticing steam that will pull a character to the pie by the nose? It's exactly like that.

Those are usually feckless hoboes that are shown drifting on pie-scent, too. But then, Durin's Bane has been jobless and squatting for thousands of years, so maybe we can consider it a hobo?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Runcible Cat posted:

That's why the Sackville-Bagginses kept coming round! :tinfoil:

oh my god

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Orc snuck up behind him and put him in a half nelson

Turns out Mithrandir is surprisingly vulnerable to common wrestling holds, he's goddamn lucky nobody taught the orcs the Sharpshooter

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Imagined posted:

It's Hobbit Day. :toot:

Type >FRODO LIVES into your DOS prompt to not have your computer hang

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

indiscriminately posted:

King of the Ring

I was so pumped when Bret The Hitman Hart put the Sharpshooter on Sauron to win the 1993 tournament

The best there is, the best there was, the best there ever will be

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Astonishing

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Some quick searching suggests "to have one's hackles up" as a similar idiom, hackles being the hair on a dog's neck and shoulders that stands on end when they're aggressive or fearful. It's not just cats that do that. If you've got your hackles up, figuratively you're defensive and touchy and spoiling for a fight, and I think it seems likely (without doing any further research) that "back" just dropped nicely into the sentence to replace "hackles".

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Delve!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mahoning posted:

First actual image we’ve seen I think?

Daedric greatsword lookin motherfucker

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Adar? The dudes name is "Father"?

"And Starring: Joseph Mawle, as, 'Pops' "

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Yeaaaahhh can I get uhhhh a large salty fish with coarse bread and a beano-vino, and a Gladiator Meal with watered-down beano-vino for my kid? And don't spare the garum

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

WoodrowSkillson posted:

what i love about roman history is that's pretty much accurate, right down to gladiators doing endorsements

Oh yeah my words were not hastily chosen

(ok they were a little, I wanted to go back and edit "my kid" to "little Secundus here" but I'd passed the ninja-edit threshold and I didn't want to look like a tryhard)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

YaketySass posted:

Is Círdan a 20th century figure?

He does build ships that ignore the curvature of the earth

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
My friend they were pretty great at 20 as well

I still remember downloading that first teaser on our DSL connection and watching the Fellowship hike up over that rise and going, "oh

oh poo poo maybe they got it right"

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Lol at them trying to make an original film and going "Nah that's too Tolkien" so much that they just looked up the rights instead

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm so used to British Columbia being used for locations like that that I was honestly surprised to find out it was NZ, and that NZ looked so much like BC

(TBF I paid like zero attention to the production because I didn't want to get my hopes up, having been burned by Phantom Menace and all)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Oracle posted:

Giant walking heads of broccoli with faces

The Passing of the Entwives just looked like a really healthy version of "Let's All Go To The Lobby"

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Oracle posted:

drat Sam's vision sounds like a mushroom cloud from a nuclear explosion.

Sounds like an avalanche or a landslide to me

But, like, one of the really big deadly ones that scatter house-sized boulders for miles and erase entire towns

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Staltran posted:

That the Witch King drives his forces "in madness on" could well be a choice he made, not something he can't control. And I don't think anyone has suggested only good people are affected.

At least one Nazgul can clearly rein it in enough to converse with farmers and be perceived as a creepy weirdo in a cloak at worst, rather than a mysterious being with an innate aura of dread

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Ulmo knows where you live

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Foley work is one of the coolest things about filmmaking to me

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Zopotantor posted:

The Balrog's growling before it first appears was made by dragging a cinderblock on concrete (also mentioned in one of the comment tracks).

Not sure if I remember watching that particular comment track but even in 2001 I was struck by the stoniness of its voice. I always figured they got it from an industrial furnace or a smelter or something.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

WoodrowSkillson posted:

drat sucks to be an elf that just sees a seagull in a grocery store parking lot a thousand miles inland

I will diminish, and go into the dumpster out back, and remain Galadriel

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

MrMojok posted:

That draft kind of makes it sound like what he was envisioning was a Bakshi-type balrog

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kylnv0eTsGc&t=16s

:kstarehair:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

(I have only ever seen clips from the Bakshi movie, and that's my first time seeing that particular sequence)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

That’s an especially dumb theory due to the fact that we know all the way back in Valinor that Saruman had a hair across his rear end about Gandalf being declared “the last but not the least.” He was already a dick.

Nothing good comes of people who go around with the name "cunning man"

(said the homo sapiens)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

euphronius posted:

This is close to what I think the text supports

That's not a balrog, that's a valarauko.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

MrMojok posted:

It is. It’s a combination of two words, the words for power and demon, or something like that.

Same for balrog, which is two sindarin words for the same.

Exactly, but the "lighter" phonetics of the Quenya term seem to connote a certain gracility and elegance in my mind over the Sindarin, which I'd bet was one of Tolkien's goals with the languages. The result is that, to me, they sound like names for different but related beings, or different forms of the same being. The image posted "feels" like a closer fit to the word "valarauko", while Jackson's hulking furnace demon feels like a closer fit to "balrog".

To put it another way, "balrog" sounds like a blunt instrument, "valarauko" sounds like a knife.

Balrog

Valarauko

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Emo Balrog does end up trading filthy stories and singing bawdy songs with the orcs around the campfire, with Emo Balrog as the campfire

The orcs still cut down trees to burn, because gently caress trees. But, hey, no troubles getting the fire going on a wet night no more, eh lads!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

skasion posted:

Elf lord dating sim

Which son of Feanor will catch your eye??