Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

skasion posted:

The barrow was that of the last prince of Cardolan, so probably it was someone associated with the Cardolanian (Cardolingian?) royal house he was thinking of. He does seem to have a bit of a thing for the Dunedain, he’s familiar with Aragorn and knows who he is after all. But it’s Bombadil so who the hell knows.

He's also familiar with Barliman Butterbur, so yeah who the hell knows.

Ah well, I always enjoy re-reading these books. I'm going through them more slowly this time and picking up odds and ends that I've missed/forgotten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Throwback to the discussion on Orc immortality. I thought it was fairly obvious by this line from The Silmarillion: 'For the Orcs had life and multiplied after the manner of the Children of Iluvatar'.

Then again, Men are also Children so...

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Saurom and Felagund have a singing contest which I guess is meant to involve magic.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Man, the Akallabęth is really cool. Demon worship. Human sacrifice. Men going to war against the gods. Makes me wish Tolkien actually went through with The New Shadow.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Tom Bombadil > Book Treebeard > Film Treebeard

Fight me.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Would Sam carry a printer to Frodo's house? Y/y

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Gandalf warning Pippin against the dangers of masturbation?: 'If you feel an itch in your palms again, tell me of it! Such things can be cured'.

Discuss.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Now I'm picturing Sam giving Frodo a footjob.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Man, Aragorn is kind of a dick.

quote:

For do not forget, Peregrin Took, that you are a knight of Gondor, and I do not release you from your service. You are going now on leave, but I may recall you.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

I dunno guys, it still seems like a dick thing to say when the Fellowship is breaking up and they'll never see each other again. I'd have preferred a hug and a kiss from Aragorn, if I was Pippin.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Man, Frodo has absolutely no personality whatsoever. Even Eowyn comes across as a more developed and interesting character.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

What about Sam?

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

gently caress Feanor and (most of) his sons. Morgoth is innocent.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Whenever someone says LOTR is good I think about the editing in this scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8ec3SRTN8U

You must be a fun guy to watch movies with.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

I used a Christmas book voucher to buy The Peoples of Middle-earth and The Return of the Shadow. I'm kicking myself for not reading anything from this set earlier. I've wanted to read The New Shadow for like 20 years but man, I didn't even know about The Tale of Tal-elmar. I wish Tolkien had written more for both these. Plus, all the draft manuscripts for Fellowship of the Ring are really interesting. It's funny to think we might have ended up with 'Bingo' as the hero of the story, not Frodo. Or Gandalf as a little old man and Aragorn/Trotter as a hobbit.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Orc.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Oracle posted:

Which honestly is what happened to a lot of men in WWI, where they all treated it as this big adventure and were gonna be chivalrous heroes like the knights of old etc etc. and the Kaiser would be whipped inside of six months and they'd all be home for Christmas.

Isn't that what happened?

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

If you're going to troll you should at least try to add the slightest bit of subtlety or plausibility.

Look at this guy taking a post on an Internet forum seriously.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I like how Tolkien pays attention to the fact that his characters need water to live, unlike 99.9999999% of boring stupid fantasy writers.

Yeah but none of his characters have to piss or poo poo which just ruins my immersion.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

The "Athrabeth Finrod ah Andreth" in Morgoth's Ring is really cool with all the ideas around immortality, death, multi-universes and what not. I'd never heard of it before.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

That makes sense. So in a way Feanor actually saved the world by being an obsessive piece of poo poo since the Valar were just gonna just let Morgoth do whatever the gently caress he wanted. Great gods you got there.

In defence of the Valar...

quote:

The closing of Valinor against the rebel Noldor (who left it voluntarily and after warning) was in itself just. But, if we dare to attempt to enter the mind of the Elder King, assigning motives and finding faults, there are things to remember before we deliver a judgement. Manwe was the spirit of greatest wisdom and prudence in Arda. He is represented as having had the greatest knowledge of the Music, as a whole, possessed by any one finite mind; and he alone of all persons or minds in that time is represented as having the power of direct recourse to and communication with Eru. He must have grasped with great clarity what even we may perceive dimly: that it was the essential mode of the process of 'history' in Arda that evil should constantly arise, and that out of it new good should constantly come. One especial aspect of this is the strange way in which the evils of the Marrer, or his inheritors, are turned into weapons against evil. If we consider the situation after the escape of Morgoth and the restablishment of his abode in Middle-earth, we shall see that the heroic Noldor were the best possible weapon with which to keep Morgoth at bay, virtually besieged, and at any rate fully occupied, on the northern fringe of Middle-earth, without provoking him to a frenzy of nihilistic destruction. And in the meanwhile, Men, or the best elements in Mankind, shaking off his shadow, came into contact with a people who had actually seen and experienced the Blessed Realm.

Morgoth's Ring, p. 402.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Myron Baloney posted:

I don't think the way that all things are described as ultimately serving Iluvator's design means that all individuals have to be capable of or do good. Orcs serve their purpose by being Orcs, I suppose. And they're not "totally" evil, there are several passages where they sort of sympathize with others from their own home areas, just not very much.

Care to provide some quotes for interest?

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Oh well, 90% is fairly decent...Lucky for me, I re-read The Silmarillion recently.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Unless I've missed it, did nobody else have this edition?

My parents had a much older first or maybe second edition that was falling apart, so I bought this when I was a kid and first reading it. It was maybe a year or two before the movies came out, so I fortunately missed out on all the crappy movie themed covers.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Sounds odd but I had no idea he was that old. :(

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Data Graham posted:

- He pronounces "Sauron" the same way the interviewer does, like "dinosaur" :eyepop:

That's how I pronounced it when I first read the books. It was only when the movies came out that I thought maybe I was wrong about the pronunciation and 'corrected' myself.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

webmeister posted:

Doesn’t the pronunciation guide in the appendices specifically say SOUR-on, not SORE-on? i.e. the movies had it correct?

To be fair, I don't think I was flicking through the appendices on my first read through as a child. By the time I got into that stuff, the movies had just come out.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

I seem to recall a great deal of controversy about the title of the second movie and how people were calling for it to be changed...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Also I’m still catching up on the thread but I strongly recommend reading the Hobbit aloud. I did it, not for kids but to for an ex, a few years ago and it works so well. The chapters are perfect in length and scope, the prose flows perfectly, and the primary characters’ dialogue lends itself to inventing funny voices for them.

We’d get tipsy or high and I’d rear a chapter around once per week and it was just perfect. If I ever have children I’ll certainly do it again.

Yeah, my first 'reading' of The Hobbit was hearing my dad it read aloud to me when I was nine.