Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Arcsquad12 posted:

I mean we can make Juan "Johnny" Rico into a white fascist boy scout and that turned out better than the original book, anything is possible.

I don't think Starship Troopers is a relevant comparison since it's deliberately trying to be a satire of the book rather than an adaption. But even if it wasn't Argentina is literally filled with white people, some descended from exiled Fascists. Not everyone south of the Rio Grande is caricature of Speedy Gonzales. Hell it was filled with Germans even before WW2. The movie about the insidiousness of fascism having the character possibly be from a family of escaped Nazi's is on-point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

How would people feel about race-blind casting in a Tolkien production? You can't remove the focus on different races and bloodlines that pervades everything, but I don't think you need to keep the racial coding specifically. You might want to keep certain groups (hobbits and rohirrim come to mind) as homogenous english-looking people but for say, the Noldor or the Numenoreans or even Gondor and Harad I'm not going to complain if they contain people from all races. Fëanor and his sons can be black. I wouldn't give a poo poo and I don't think it would change Tolkien's story.

The orcs take some more thought to adapt but Tolkien left enough that you can certainly do a much less "evil hordes that deserve to die" take than what Jackson or DnD do.

Hell, I'm in favour of race-blind casting for loving Regency productions, especially after seeing some of the cast photos for Shondaland's Bridgerton series!

But yeah, sure, why not? I was tempted for a minute to suggest casting white people as orcs and everyone else as everyone else, but it'd be deplorables all over again. The racist assholes would be thrilled to have them to identify with.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

There are black and Asian Asgardians in the marvel movies and no one cares

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

euphronius posted:

There are black and Asian Asgardians in the marvel movies and no one cares

i think that there were quite a few meltdowns about it

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Stargate grey alien Asgardians are the only ones I recognize.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

ChubbyChecker posted:

i think that there were quite a few meltdowns about it

There 100% were lovely nerds losing their minds about Idris Elba's casting ~how can you caaast a blaaack guy as Heimdaaall aaaargh~

How anyone can complain about Elba being cast in anything is beyond me, but racists are appallingly and fundamentally stupid, so...

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I think the lesson to be learned is that there will always be angry nerds at first but eventually most people will forget that anyone was angry and everyone just accepts the “controversial” thing as canon.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Marvel's version of Thor/Asgard also has a long history of Sci-Fi Ancient Aliens going back to the original Jack Kirby days in the 1960's (Jack Kirby loving loved Ancient Aliens). With Non-European Asgardians like Hogun the Grim being there from the start. While later authors/artists over the years have leaned more on the side of them being magical divinities more closely aligned with actual mythology, it remains a fact that Asgard being multiracial techno-vikings from space is marrow-deep in the Marvel version of Thor. And it shows how much of their complaints that Heimdall being black was "Hollywood propaganda" was a dog-whistle, since anyone whose actually read Thor comics knows otherwise.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

WoodrowSkillson posted:

i will come down like a ton of bricks on it if its some gross GoT rape trash.

Catching up to the thread but search your feelings for the truth lol

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

perc2 posted:

It's not the book, much in the same way contemporary editions of The Bible probably look "nothing like" the original texts or oral tradition.

As an aside, this is a poor analogy; the textual sources for the Bible (whatever you think of its actual truth content) are numerous and early, compared to most other ancient texts.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
I was idly skimming "The Philosophy of Tolkien" by Peter Kreeft today. It was an ok overview of Tolkien's worldview from a Catholic perspective. It did have this amusing paragraph:

quote:

And his philosophy could not possibly be excluded from his life’s work. Like religion, sex, age, and race, philosophy permeates everything we do. A Hindu would have written a very different Lord of the Rings than a Catholic. A woman would have written a different Lord of the Rings than a man. A teenager would have written a different Lord of the Rings than an adult. An Italian would have written a very different Lord of the Rings than an Englishman. And it is equally certain that a Marxist, a Cartesian rationalist, a Hegelian Idealist, a Nietzschean nihilist, or (God help us!) a Derridadaist deconstructionist would have written a very different Lord of the Rings than Tolkien did.

This part is great, but now I'm sad that LOTR by Nietzsche doesn't exist. I want to read it. :(

William Bear fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Oct 20, 2020

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

italian lord of the rings would just be about pizza instead of the ring

perc2
May 16, 2020

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

As an aside, this is a poor analogy; the textual sources for the Bible (whatever you think of its actual truth content) are numerous and early, compared to most other ancient texts.

You're an ancient text

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

il silmarillione

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Runcible Cat posted:

There 100% were lovely nerds losing their minds about Idris Elba's casting ~how can you caaast a blaaack guy as Heimdaaall aaaargh~

How anyone can complain about Elba being cast in anything is beyond me, but racists are appallingly and fundamentally stupid, so...
I saw one person say "But in the myths they call him Heimdall the White!"

And another person said, "And sometimes they called a tall man "Snorri the Short.""

I think raceblind casting would lose nothing and gain much, although you'd want to keep people in the various relation groups with similar appearances.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Nessus posted:

I saw one person say "But in the myths they call him Heimdall the White!"

And another person said, "And sometimes they called a tall man "Snorri the Short.""

I think raceblind casting would lose nothing and gain much, although you'd want to keep people in the various relation groups with similar appearances.

No, if you're gonna break these chains then you gotta SHATTER them.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/bendyscientist/status/1318670464923914241?s=21

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

That's rad.
As we all know, the main types of rock are igneous, metamorphic, sedimentary, and Wrought, yea, by the Valar

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The orcs take some more thought to adapt but Tolkien left enough that you can certainly do a much less "evil hordes that deserve to die" take than what Jackson or DnD do.

Orcs are easy to fix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9AJeakCa6w

They don't sound that evil, do they?

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
This might have been posted here before but I just found it, a 1964 interview with Tolkien:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzDtmMXJ1B4

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

God drat, so much there

- Tolkien is almost impossible to decode, he's so prone to slurring and overrunning himself. It's how I talk, which pisses me off

- This interviewer is super well informed on all the subject matter — he's able to "obviously" switch between a specific cultural and broader linguistic concept of "feudalism" and they're both like "oh well of COURSE duhhh" -- and I can just imagine trying to interview Tolkien and not being even in that league and he just doesn't even answer in anything but monosyllables

- Overall the whole thing's weirdly contentious, like Tolkien really wishes he were anywhere but there

- He pronounces "Sauron" the same way the interviewer does, like "dinosaur" :eyepop:

- At one point he uses the plural they, like "one surrendering themself" — whoa he was ahead of his time huh

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008

Data Graham posted:

- At one point he uses the plural they, like "one surrendering themself" — whoa he was ahead of his time huh
Singular they (which I assume is what you meant) goes back to at least 1375. That it’s a recent innovation is a persistent myth. Even Shakespeare used it.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

It's relatively common parlance in my part of the world. Atleast my parents generation would use it a lot.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah I'm being a bit facetious.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I work for a beer distributor and my job involves visiting a lot of grocery stores throughout the week. It never occurred to me that the regional grocery store chain is basically a deus ex machine from Lord of the Rings.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

William Bear posted:

I was idly skimming "The Philosophy of Tolkien" by Peter Kreeft today. It was an ok overview of Tolkien's worldview from a Catholic perspective. It did have this amusing paragraph:

This part is great, but now I'm sad that LOTR by Nietzsche doesn't exist. I want to read it. :(

Try Eddisson's The Worm Ouroboros, it's fun and old JR was a fan

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Data Graham posted:

- He pronounces "Sauron" the same way the interviewer does, like "dinosaur" :eyepop:

That's how I pronounced it when I first read the books. It was only when the movies came out that I thought maybe I was wrong about the pronunciation and 'corrected' myself.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Mahoning posted:

I work for a beer distributor and my job involves visiting a lot of grocery stores throughout the week. It never occurred to me that the regional grocery store chain is basically a deus ex machine from Lord of the Rings.

my mother drives this car

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Octy posted:

That's how I pronounced it when I first read the books. It was only when the movies came out that I thought maybe I was wrong about the pronunciation and 'corrected' myself.

Doesn’t the pronunciation guide in the appendices specifically say SOUR-on, not SORE-on? i.e. the movies had it correct?

perc2
May 16, 2020

Data Graham posted:

- Overall the whole thing's weirdly contentious, like Tolkien really wishes he were anywhere but there

The interviewer while knowledgeable is very typical for that time, being forceful and overinsistent to the point of rudeness/condescention. Melvyn Bragg type poo poo, it's not really going to work with man like Tolks

perc2 fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Nov 8, 2020

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Just started Children of Hurin and it's really good so far. I bounced off the introduction and first chapter a while back (yeah I'm a wimp) because there was so much genealogy and I thought it would continue like that. But now that I'm actually into it, it really doesn't require that much background info.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Octy posted:

Same (well, I "corrected" myself once I got all nerdy about vowels and diphthongs while learning languages and trying to obsessively follow the pronunciation guide). Though isn't it kind of a thing that JRRT was "do as I say, not as I do" about a lot of pronunciations, like isILdur and Tol erESsëa? Like "isILdur" kinda of screws up a lot of the poetry it's in if you pronounce it that way

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i really like the premise of children of hurin but its a shame the story wasnt really written out in full detail, it still feels a bit like a sketch of a story

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

webmeister posted:

Doesn’t the pronunciation guide in the appendices specifically say SOUR-on, not SORE-on? i.e. the movies had it correct?

To be fair, I don't think I was flicking through the appendices on my first read through as a child. By the time I got into that stuff, the movies had just come out.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Data Graham posted:

Same (well, I "corrected" myself once I got all nerdy about vowels and diphthongs while learning languages and trying to obsessively follow the pronunciation guide). Though isn't it kind of a thing that JRRT was "do as I say, not as I do" about a lot of pronunciations, like isILdur and Tol erESsëa? Like "isILdur" kinda of screws up a lot of the poetry it's in if you pronounce it that way

The whole point of pronunciation is that saying is doing. "As I say" and "as I do" refer to the same actions!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

You know what I mean :mad: lol

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Watched Return of the King extended cut and Eomer really benefits from the runtime additions, almost as much as Faramir. Karl Urban loving knocks it out of the park when Eomer trying to impress the horrors of battle onto Eowyn only to break down into a nervous wreck when he finds her body. That scream is just chilling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gogezOlJDs

It really helps sell the juxtaposition of War for glory and renown versus war to protect what one loves. It's a hard lesson to learn and often can only come after one has lost what they tried to save. Screw the people who get mad thst Eowyn gives up the life of a warrior to be a healer. Peace is what all true warriors should strive for.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm liking the Falmari. Given their neighbours id be protective if my ships too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So it goes without saying LOTR and The Sil are profoundly Christian works. When this manifests in stuff like The Ring represents Sin or it was divine providence that destroyed the Ring or Eru knew all along Melkor would turn evil, I don't care much. These are big philosophical/theological questions I don't feel like discussing when it comes to a work of fiction.

No, what has always gotten me was this anecdote from Faramir in Two Towers:

'"'"And this I remember of Boromir as a boy, when we together learned the tale of our sires and the history of our city, that always it displeased him that his father was not king. ‘‘How many hundreds of years needs it to make a steward a king, if the king returns not?’’ he asked. ‘‘Few years, maybe, in other places of less royalty,’’ my father answered. ‘‘In Gondor ten thousand years would not suffice.’’'''

I understand the meaning just fine. It is divine sanction that Aragorn rule and all things must accord with God's will. But something like this so much more mundane than the other things I mentioned and I guess maybe that's why it irritates me. A king and their family can rule a land for thousands of years and then if the right oaf with the right blood shows up, welp, time to pack it in, they deserve the throne more even if they've never lived here or been responsible for it.

I know some will chafe at the idea of any kind of king but even by the standards of monarchy this is stupid.