Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Not a Tolkien book so much as a book about Tolkien, but I've been reading Tolkien's biography, and I really have to recommend it, it's an interesting read and you get an impression about why he has the elements he does in his literature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

UoI posted:

Just read that Frodo is fifty-years-old. Trying to imagine a fifty-year-old Elija Woods. :v:

That whole sequence in the film where Gandalf leaves to go study the ring lore takes like 15 years in the book, too.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Oracle posted:

It was a social signifier. Back in the day, if you were tanned it meant you worked outdoors and thus were some kind of field hand or manual laborer ergo less-than. If you had milky white skin and soft hands you could afford to sit around inside all day and do nothing therefore must be rich/upper class.

Ironically enough, it switched sometime in the Roaring 20s where office work/factory work all day made you pale and sickly while having the free time to lay in the sun and work on your tan meant life of leisure.

And this is still a thing in most developing nations (China being a prime example), to the point where they use umbrellas to keep the sun out as much as they keep the rain out (think similar to Gone with the Wind).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Nessus posted:

I imagine someone else WILL write that once JRRT's work gets into the public domain... is that going to ever happen, actually, or did he publish late enough that the various laws meant to protect Mickey Mouse are also protecting Frodo and Gandalf?

I think technically the copyright only applies to published works. Things like "there is a place called Middle Earth that have Hobbits and Dwarves and evil rings" fall under something else (trademark?).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ape Gone Insane posted:

Same with Eoin Colfer with Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Don't know how well Sanderson pulled off Wheel of Time, there's not usually that many complaints.

For the latter there were complaints, but the stuff they thought was written by Sanderson was actually written by Jordan and vice versa.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Narzack posted:

And such a tragedy considering how good the first trilogy was, and how amazing the Hobbit could have been with Del Toro directing. It feels like the same thing that happened to Lucas happened to Jackson. He just got to the point where he was given unlimited freedom and no one was around to tell him 'no.'

Actually the Hobbit films were very good.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

There was a good, if not great, movie in there. It was just surrounded by seven hours of padding. You just can't stretch 300 pages of text into nine hours of film. I could read the whole book in less time than it would take to watch one of the three movies.

They didn't, they included a whole bunch of Appendices material in there too.

It's also not a very strong complaint because the Hobbit is a very detail dense book, unlike most other books (Harry Potter et all) where you often have to cut details. If you had cut all 3 films to just the materials that were filmed and depicted in the book (so no Radagast or Necromancer but also no talking eagles) you would still get a 4 hour movie.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 17:09 on May 1, 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Oh it's all authentic. It's just that it's all extraneous to Bilbo's story. We don't need to see the Necromancer fight. We don't need hours and hours of Elf Battle Action. We *really* didn't need Bilbo's discovery of the weak spot to be made pointless in favor of an extra hour or three of screentime for Manly Action Hero Bard With Real Bowfight Action.

It all just smothers Bilbo's story. The Jackson films aren't "The Hobbit" anymore, they're just another fantasy action blockbuster. And I even *liked* a lot of the action scenes, especially in the third film. It was all quality filler, but it was still too much by far of a good thing.

The fundamental disagreement you have seems to be that it's "Bilbo's Story". What the films are trying to do is replicate the feeling of Lord of the Rings, which (books & films) were not just Frodo's story.

It's ok if you don't like it for being less personal than the book, but it's important to realize that they weren't trying to make a personal story like the book.

e: I should probably specify that there are personal moments in both LOTR and the Hobbit films, but we're not just dealing from one person's perspective, like we are (save for one chapter) in the Hobbit book.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 17:28 on May 1, 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Right. Ultimately they were trying to graft seven hours of Action Blockbuster onto a story that is the exact opposite of an action blockbuster. It just doesn't work. It's like trying to turn a housecat into a panther by tying steaks to its back with twine.

Even if all the steaks are certified panther meat, end of the day, you don't have a panther, just a cat smothered under the weight of all that meat.

That would be true if they primarily focused on Bilbo but Thorin was really the protagonist perspective for most of the films.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

sunday at work posted:

Which raises the question, why make it at all? The book is a personal story. He clearly wasn't interested in making an adaption of the Hobbit so much as wanking himself over film tech and wiping up with the appendices.

Because people wanted more movies like Lord of the Rings.

THey also get to make video games and other derivative works based on the movie versions, which I suspect is an additional incentive to add even more CGI battle scenes. The forty minute barrel scene might be wholly gratuitous from any narrative perspective, but it's great raw meat for a video game tie in.

Video game makers have done that sort of stuff for ages without needing justification from the films.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

sunday at work posted:

Yeah, that's what I was getting at. They aren't good action films, they aren't good character films, and they aren't good adaptions of The Hobbit.

Actually, they are good.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

a kitten posted:

It's cool you liked them. I sure didn't. Because I love Jackson's lotr movies I was actually pretty saddened by the fact that I found the Hobbit: part 1 to be a boring, bloated, ungainly mess of a film that I couldn't even finish.

You should probably try rewatching it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

hahaha.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Levitate posted:

Also the dwarves look too much like handsome humans with beards (well, some of them anyways...I know they're supposed to be young but they didn't really look like what we think of as Middle Earth dwarves IMO)

Having 13 mostly identical dwarves wouldn't have helped things, I can guarantee you.

Honestly only having ~4 dwarves would have probably been ideal but the nerd rage would have been greater than all of the other changes combined.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

The Belgian posted:

I also noticed that the enemy is much more dehumanized in the movies compared to the books? No wild hilmen fight along with the uruk hai, the uruk hai don't really talk at Helm's deep, I think? I think the only human sevants of the enemy in the movies are the Harad men and teir entire bodies are covered. (and wormtongue)

In the extended edition of TT they have a whole scene where they kill a dude who's just working for Sauron and isn't an orc. They don't actually show up in battle until Return of the King though.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

SirPhoebos posted:

Given that Gandalf said that there are even worse things lurking in the chasm he fell into, I wouldn't be surprised if that didn't last either.

Those were far far below where the Dwarves were.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

concerned mom posted:

I thought they found it in the mountain, or is that just from the film?

I almost wanted to think there's one in every mountain and it really is the smoking heart of the mountain but now I'm mixing up world of Warcraft (the true spiritual successor to Tolkien) so take that as you will

They did find it in the mountain.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Thunder Moose posted:

Was the Arkenstone supposed to be a device to illustrate the base desire of Dwarves or was it itself an item with a corruptible influence (not unlike the ring?)

In otherwords was the lust Thorin had completely innate or did the stone play a part? Anyone know?

Obviously the movie suggests the latter but from the book I am inclined towards the former.

In the film it's both, really. The Arkenstone represents the Divine Right of Kings. Thorin's entire quest is to reclaim it so he can lead the Dwarves to battle and overthrow the Usurper, etc. In a way, it's very similar to the Iron Throne in Game of Thrones. The throne itself isn't literally a corrupting influence but it is the reason why so many people die and so many others go off to war. In the Hobbit films the Arkenstone is a combination of the Iron Throne and the One Ring.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mr. Neutron posted:

More precisely:

Huh, so basically how Mediterranean is "between lands".

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Nessus posted:

I dunno, I think "in the ultimate analysis, you can't defy God and all the bad poo poo you do will, in time, end up bearing good fruit" doesn't mean that your bad thing isn't in and of itself a bad thing. Since I think Iluvatar said that to Melkor you could see it as a backhanded way to go "Are you suuuure you wanna do that buddy? In the end you'll just be hurting yourself, not fundamentally defying me."

What it seems bad acts do, in Tolkien's vision anyway, is make things more complex and perhaps less 'powerful' in some big grand cosmic sense of things.

No one's saying Melkor is good because his actions brought about good things (eventually), they're questioning whether Iluvatar is good because he allows bad things to happen, even though they eventually bring about good things.

Oh also some people are wondering if being unable to do evil necessarily makes you good.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ynglaur posted:

Is there a well-done version of this with a modern English translation?

Songs are usually lost in translation, it's like (well it literally is) poetry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

webmeister posted:

This is amazing.

I think the only genuine anachronism that slipped through in LOTR is where Gandalf's dragon firework "passed over Bywater like an express train", which always stuck out to me like a sore thumb. Once you notice it, you can't un-notice it.

I think that's sort of like how later on someone is described as Mongoloid(?) in appearance.