Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

HIJK posted:

At some point in the Silmarillion it mentions that Sauron was a Maiar of Aule who was lured away by Morgoth's fantasies.
Yeah, explaining his aptitude for smithing. It should be noted that Maiar apparently come in all shapes and sizes, if I remember correctly the Balrogs were among them too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Can Maiar reproduce? I thought that was restricted to elves, men, dwarfs, animals and assorted wildlife. I mean, okay, there was Melian but she needed an elf for that and I don't recall any other relationships like that.
edit: Please don't bring up fanfiction that proves me wrong.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jun 19, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I think the point is that reproduction was only a trait of Ilúvatar's children (ie what's been sung about) so Morgoth would have to have snatched an elf and a Maia to start making orcs in the first place - and from there you're back to the corrupted elves story, except with half the pointy ears.
Besides, IIRC children of mixed races are supposed to be special - you only get three mixed marriages between elves and men and all shaped the world in a big way. While I like the idea of orcs with huge destinies running around and getting their heads chopped off before they can achieve the great things they're foretold to do, it's stressed that interracial - anything, really - is pretty drat rare.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jun 19, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

The silmarillion constantly refers to Luthien and offspring as having the blood line of the maiar.
Not sure about constantly but I believe it's a big deal with Earendil since he can talk for humans, elves and Maiar that way.

Really need to reread Sil.

edit: I also seem to remember that Luthien didn't give up her elvish ancestry - she talked Mandos into giving her and Beren a second life and I think they didn't age or anything.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jun 19, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Right, that's it. I really thought that passage referred to Earendil, weird.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
IIRC there was some evidence for both, but Tolkien died before he could clarify the issue.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
There's a lot of Tolkien metal. Sometimes even taking pretty weird references.
Nightfall in Middle-Earth is genuinely great, though. You can tell they really loved the source material.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jun 25, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah; before I read it I really thought it's just shilling a story that's already in the Silmarillion for more money while the movies are still popular but it turned out surprisingly good.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It'd also mean more Maeglin; I'm always cool with more Maeglin. For some reason traitors make for fascinating characters.
I'm not sure if Tolkien wrote about that one in more detail, though; I know there's a fragment about Tuor entering Gondolin for the first time and passing through all the gates but that seems to be about it.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

HIJK posted:

I think it's well understood that the Valar hosed up at almost every turn with the inhabitants of Middle Earth. It always surprises me at how they do everything wrong.
That was pretty much my impression on reading about the Fall of Númenor too; hell, it's not even like they did anything about it themselves, it was all "poo poo, humans are coming, PANIC, hey dadgod, we quit if they're allowed here!"
I mean, it can't have been hard to send out Ulmo or one of his happy destructive underlings to scatter the fleet; I get the whole pride/original sin analogy but it all comes out rather silly.

The divinities misunderstading the Children is a pretty good point too; far as I can tell, the only two Maiar who ever bothered to learn how to work with them were Gandalf and, ironically, Sauron.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Nov 8, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I love that album and it's by one of my favorite bands but it keeps getting linked on every page.

edit: Ooh, new page. So now I'm guilty of the crime too. Anyway, here's a question: what happened to Ungoliant? She had her little fight with Morgoth, retreated to some mountain range and a couple centuries later Beren repainted that place in spider innards - did he kill her, or does she just disappear from the story altogether?

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Nov 14, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Smoking Crow posted:

The technical name for a special mode earned by completing all the objectives is a "wizard mode." Lord of the Rings has the wizardest of wizard modes
You just need to stand like a statue, become part of the machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Nessus posted:

Weren't the stewards originally the lords of Minas Tirith or something? I thought Faramir got confirmed in that or some other stuff, anyway. But if anything it showed the stewards were almost ridiculously faithful that even Denethor would have probably had to get the Ring to start calling himself "King".
No, the place had its own line of kings, the stewards took over when one died without a heir. They probably didn't really expect anyone to come to claim the throne.