Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Are the History of Middle Earth books worth buying? They seem like such a big cost but I've read everything else including hours on the Encyclopaedia or Arda and am basically a huge nerd who knows a lot about Arda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Or some kind of spirit of nature that is imbued within the planet.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

Exactly. Which are called Maiar (or the Valar).

No this isn't true. The Maiar were created outside of the earth and descended down unto it. Bombadil mentions that he is oldest so that gives a hint that he was there before even the Maiar. Plus Tolkein mentions that all the Fairies and like creatures descended down unto earth as well, so that sets a precedent for creatures and beings other than Maiar being supernatural. As he never specified what Bombadil is we'll never get an answer, but I like to think he is the spirit of the earth himself, not a Maiar.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

That is the same Glorfindal as in LOTR.

I'm not so sure, I personally don't think it is and I don't know if we can ever be sure.

http://www.glyphweb.com/arda/g/glorfindel.html

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I think really when dealing with Middle Earth it's important to not deal in absolutes and just present all the facets because nothing's ever really concrete.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Who is the oldest Elf still going? I guess presumably someone who crossed over the sea and stayed there in the first place?

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

rypakal posted:

You can make arguments for Cirdan, Thranduil, and Celeborn. Cirdan is the only one we're certain came from Cuivienen. I've sort of assumed that Celeborn is probably close in age to Galadrial, and we know she was born in Valinor, so she's nowhere near as old as Cirdan. Of course, there could be hundreds of elves like Thranduil who have have absolutely no idea how old they are.

Ah awesome, I didn't know Cirdan was at Cuivienen. Is he older even than Elves that stayed in Aman? Like er Ingwe or someone?

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

I think there is no more of an eternal divide than that between those who think the Fellowship is slow and boring against those that think the Fellowship is the finest example of English prose fantasy ever written and the highlight of all JRRt's work.

The part of the Fellowship where Frodo and Sam are walking through the Shire is my favourite of all Tolkien's work.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I got the revised edition of the atlas of middle earth for Christmas! This book is so cool. Thanks for the recommendation guys.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Has anyone written any good books or stories set in Tolkien's legendarium? I know none will ever be half as good as his own work, and I probably wouldn't want to settle for any less but possibly there's one or two that are ok?

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I think he's done a good job really. It would be so easy to sell it all to coca cola but he seems like he's actually interested in it from a scholarly perspective.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I don't agree, I think there's so so many ways people could go. I mean the universe spans tens of thousands of years, or even hundreds of thousands of years if you look at the years of the pillars/trees. You could, as someone said above, have a story with Bilbo's mom. If that's a bit close to home you could cover the two blue wizards; if that's still a bit too close to home you could just make up some early human in the house of Hador or something going on an adventure. You could have a Dwarf looking to see if there's a heart of the mountain somewhere other than Erebor. You could have some adventurous Numenorean sailing through the Gates of the Sun to see what lies beyond. You could have a Hobbit who gets lost on the wrong side of the hedge. The possibilities are endless.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
You've just opened up a whole can of worms there.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Dwarves are the creation of Aule so I think perhaps he didn't have the power to make them immortal. The orcs are twisted elves so presumably they keep their immortality. I think Hobbits really are men or related to men?

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Kassad posted:

This makes it pretty likely that all the different "races" of Middle-Earth are in fact human beings who simply represent different ethnic and religious groups. Hobbits were just one ethnic group that was very short for some reason. Elves represent an old (prehistoric?) culture that was displaced by the "normal" Men. Orcs represent several groups that were universally reviled. And so on. In the case of the more obviously strange races (such as Ents), they personify one of the forces of nature (in this case, primeval forests).

It's a nice theory but I don't see how it makes it "pretty likely", its just one interpretation. The whole book is fantasy and the events that go on in the book are of a fantastical nature.

For instance if you take the Bible, it has supernatural beings in it. Now the historical events in the Bible that happened only happened with human beings in instead of angels and demons (if you don't believe in them of course). But to anyone who is spiritually invested in the Bible, those beings were and are real. They don't have to be Men.

You have a good argument that the 'races' get twisted and exaggerated over time, but I really don't see any evidence that supernatural races were actually men and there's decent evidence that they were not, or at least believed not to be by the authors considering they are all involved in the mythology.

I guess we should all believe what we want to, and I'm firmly in the camp of the religious manwe zealot.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
It also feels like it draws a bit from Greek Mythology where the Pantheon take over from the Titans.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

InediblePenguin posted:

Collective consciousness. All orcs have the memories of all orcs before them, because they're remade over and over when they die to save on materials, like recycling clay.

When orcs die I'm pretty sure they go to the Halls of Mandos to eventually be reborn as their past elf self. Elfself.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I like to think there really are no new orcs and they are all corrupted Elves. The amount of time between Morgoth finding the elves and their exodus to Aman was a long time.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Melkor was clearly "bad" before that though. From the minute he played his own chords in the creation song. I think he represents aspects of a whole and will always play to those aspects. It's his nature.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I always just think that Eru is God and like any being he he aspects of pride, arrogance, intellect, beauty, etc within himself. We can see with the other lesser gods in the pantheon that they all have distinct personalities and typical behaviours. Sadly for Morgoth his was for the most part emotions and sentiments we deem as bad. Am I oversimplifying it?

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Commemorative wood hardback edition of Leaf By Niggle?

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

andrew smash posted:

Eh, pretty much, it's strongly "hinted" that galadriel's primary character flaw that she overcame in the instant she turned down the ring was her desire to rule her own realm, it's what led her to forsake valinor at the end of the third age and establish lorien. Same could be true of thranduil roughly, he just isn't as important as she is and doesn't get as much screen time.

Galadriel also forsaking Valinor is because she's one of Feanor's people who are kind of banished/shamed from Valinor but her actions in helping destroy the ring validated her back in to the deserving elf camp.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
You don't really find out much about the fourth age (events after LOTR). There's what happens to all the main characters in the appendices of LOTR; Legolas and Gimli visiting Fangorn and then Aglarond and eventually going over to the Undying lands, Aragorn reigning for a long time and then passing the throne to his son. I guess the only thing you really have is Tolkein started to write The New Shadow http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/The_New_Shadow but pretty quickly abandoned it.

Best answer is a few thousand years after LOTR is now dummy, we live in Middle Earth.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

UoI posted:

I've decided to give The Fellowship a read seeing as a I enjoy reading about Tolkien's lore of Middle-Earth. I chose this because I found it laying around one day and figured I'd go for it; but I'm wondering if maybe I should be reading The Hobbit or one of the books before set before that. I've never read any of Tolkien's books. What are you goonses thoughts?

The Hobbit is a great read and will fill you in on a lot of back-story, plus it's really quite short so yeah why not, go for it. The Lord of the Rings is a very different style though, although it might be nice to get a sense of that when reading it. I wouldn't read The Silmarilion or Unifnished Tails or anything like that until you've read (and enjoyed?) the trilogy because although they're prequels in a sense time-wise, they are not light reading.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Yeah same here, especially the parts where Frodo and Sam are travelling from the Shire and before they meet up with Merry and Pippin.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Ynglaur posted:

In the book Frodo, Sam, and Pippin travel together.

There's definitely a part where it's just Frodo and Sam isn't there?

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I'm starting to think it's time for (another) re-read..

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Defender of the West. gently caress the South, man.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
There are also those nameless creatures that burrow really deep and even Sauron has forgotten them or something but that would be even more lame.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
There's that wonderful chapter where the Fellowship are walking through Hollin and they can sense that the rocks have some kind of sentience or emotion but that may be because they were spoken to long ago by elves, like the forests you mentioned.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Short answer is no. Long answer is they probably came from Men.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Right, but it's also an alternate name for Utumno, Morgoth's fortress *before* the first age (I had to go look that up: http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Utumno).

Which adds another layer of meaning: Gandal's pointing out to the Balrog that his flame has already lost; the Balrog is a creature of Utumno and Utumno was overthrown before the dawn of time (literally).

He's basically saying, hey Balrog, 1995 called they want their threads back

Real documented evidence of Balrog wings:

concerned mom fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Mar 26, 2015

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Recursive Expanse posted:

It's been said before Silmarillion would be best done as a fantasia style animated anthology. Hell, the beginning of fantasia isn't so different from the creation of Arda.

Maybe Beren and Luthien could be done like Peter and the Wolf.

You guys have all seen the awesome comic strip right? It would work very well to music.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I'm surprised they didn't deck out Thorin in The Hobbit merchandise, swinging a giant two handed battle The Hobbit branded lunchbox as 'available in stores now' flashed up on the screen.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I thought pretty much all the vampires and balrogs and other stuff briefly mentioned are Maiar so there would have been hundreds or more originally.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Lembas Bread was basically a Parmo

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

SirPhoebos posted:

If Morgoth is incapable of creating life, only perverting it to his devices, then from where did he derive the dragons?

Probably just the same as Balrogs and Vampires and stuff; corrupted Maia. Tolkein was actually the spiritual grandfather of Chris Metzen.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Nessus posted:

My take is it was a dwarven effort to imitate the Silmarils. It did not, of course, reach the same peak, but it was still real loving good.

I thought they found it in the mountain, or is that just from the film?

I almost wanted to think there's one in every mountain and it really is the smoking heart of the mountain but now I'm mixing up world of Warcraft (the true spiritual successor to Tolkien) so take that as you will

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Runcible Cat posted:

Just in case anyone hasn't seen this yet:

The Most Metal Deaths in Middle-earth, Ranked

That writer is totally wrong about Glorfindel. They aren't the same Glorfindel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

The Fellowship is the best book guys.

The parts where Frodo and Sam are journeying before they meet up with anyone else are by far my favourite bits of the books.