Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

It's probably also because they try to keep it fairly mainstream (for a British radio show on history, philosophy and science, anyway) and they're worried people will zone out.

Also, holy poo poo, I listened to the Talking Machines episode of Radiolab. Not only is the production quality great, but the subject matter itself was a combination of hilarious, creepy and fascinating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

GrandpaPants posted:

Hardcore History released a new episode. It's 4.5 hours long :stare:

Well, that's half of my trans-Atlantic flight sorted!

quote:

Murderous millennial preachers and prophets take over the German city of Munster after Martin Luther unleashes a Pandora's Box of religious anarchy with the Protestant Reformation.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Arnie_SS posted:

A new 4 hrs Hardcore history, "The American Peril" was just posted, haven't listened to it but it talks about 19th century United States.

:gonk: I still haven't had a chance to listen through the previous one!

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

God damnit Carlin actually manages to push these out sooner than I can listen to them. :allears:

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Revolutions is back!

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Somewhat related, Duncan called Ben Franklin "the Founding Grandfather" in Monday's Revolutions, I like it.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Drafters of the Declaration of Independence, per Mike Duncan:

- John Adams
- Benjamin Franklin
- Guy number 3
- Guy number 4
- Thomas Jefferson.

The mission meeting Howe to discuss possible peace terms in 1776:

- Ben Franklin
- Thomas Jefferson
- A third guy.

:v:

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Zorak posted:

Having actually listened to it now, can confirm that it is really good.

Seconded. If you like QI you will love it, if you hate QI you might like it anyway because it doesn't have the things that people hate the most about QI (the host and the guests).

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Pigbog posted:

Some of the guests I will grant you, but if you hate Stephen Fry you don't deserve entertainment.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the numerous TV shows he's hosted and starred in, but let's just say the UK thread in D&D has a specific rule about Frychat so I thought to be inclusive in my recommendation.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

I was listening to the first Blitz HH the other day and burst out laughing when Dan was explaining how the scope of the show had ballooned from the first episode's 15 minutes to the latest episode's "unforgivable one hour and eighteen minutes."

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

He's also going to drat the torpedoes, discard the 15 episode per revolution format and take all the time he needs to cover the French Revolution!

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Yeah, I'm a Rome nerd so HoR has been right up my alley. I'm especially interested in the Republic and he could've probably spent more time on it (Yes, I've listened to Dan Carlin's Death Throes of the Republic) but it's all good.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Zorak posted:

Yess, Revolutions is going to be sticking with France until 1899, which means it'll be following the transitional wars Revolutionary France fought with its neighbors through at least the invasion of Egypt. I can only hope that means we'll touch on the elder Dumas, that guy ruled.

That's a typo right? Because I think you need a very generous reading to say Revolutionary France lasted until 1899. :v:

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Hell, I'm up to What, me Claudius? myself and while I've read a ton about the Julio-Claudian dynasty, the whole actual reign of Augustus as Augustus was always kind of hazy in my mind. Now that I've listened to 25 minutes on the subject I have a fair handle of what actually happened. The problem of his succession and having to settle for Tiberius, for instance, was something I hadn't really committed to memory before.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Echo Chamber posted:

I'm glad their were so may adoptions and insurrections in the Roman Empire's history. Those are easy to follow. The most convoluted part was the dynastic politics of the Julio-Claudian era, since the same 5 names keep popping up in Augustus' family tree. I kept on having to pause the podcast and study the family tree to make sense of it. Even the chaos of the Crisis of the Third Century of way less confusing.

Also, Constantine abolished the Praetorian Guard. I kept asking, after all the imperial assassinations, why the emperors kept having the Praetorians around. I like him already.

Yeah, I had to do the same, I'm now watching I, Claudius as well and even after listening to HoR I'm sometimes having trouble keeping up with all the Nero Drususes, Agrippinas and Tiberius Germanicuses. The actual Emperor Nero wasn't even born with the name Nero!

And think about how ultimately arbitrary it is how we name popular figures of the past. If you called Augustus just plain "Augustus" to his face he might think you're taking the piss. Ditto Caligula.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

snucks posted:

His podcasts are pretty much well-researched talk radio. He's giving long, loosely-scripted monologues broken up with citations and quotes meant to provide an atmosphere more than a list of facts and dates. He definitely lapses into predictable patterns of speech and analogies, but you can hear everyone do this if you get them to talk for long enough. The result is typically dense subject matter decompressed into a pacing much more appropriate for what podcast listeners demand (while doing easy manual labor, driving, etc), wrapped up in a really pronounced style that turns a lot of people off but also serves as comfortable familiarity for long-time listeners. I love Revolutions, but the material doesn't stick with me nearly as well because it's too dry and dense for me to give an appropriately close listening of while I'm cooking dinner or cleaning dishes.

This is well put and something I was thinking yesterday when I tried to listen to the latest Revolutions episode while at the supermarket. I kept missing things because it requires you to pay a lot more attention to it. It's fine for a walk or on the bus but if you need to concentrate on anything else you start losing the thread. HH meanwhile I can listen to while working and not feel like I'm not giving it the attention it deserves. This makes the enormous episodes much easier to tolerate too.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

So I finally started listening to Blueprint for Armageddon.

I thought you guys were exaggerating about the boxing analogies. :stare:

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

And if you have experience with talk radio, his voice is like that of a stereotypical conservative blowhard even though he isn't one. Hearing "Now, folks -" in that voice, I used to get an instinct to turn the show off.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

It's a Q&A, a sort of prologue. Duncan's going to make a proper episode but it said at the end of the Q&A that it was going to be out by the end of April, so, yeah.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

It actually had a few songs in the background that are on my playlist but they were still distracting for that very reason. If I wanna listen to The Cinematic Orchestra I'll just listen to it.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

GraPar posted:

To be fair, this YMRT series so far is much more about LA/Hollywood in the late '60s, with a specific focus on Charles Manson, which makes it way more interesting to me at least. Also, if anyone didn't know, Karina Longworth is currently dating Rian Johnson, which is pretty drat cool for both of them.

This is a really strange thing to get hung up on but her delivery of "Join me, won't you?" in the opening of every episode weirds me out. She sounds so... insincere. I feel like maybe it's a parody of something that I don't know.

I've listened to the Chaplin, Disney and John Wayne ones so far and I enjoyed the episodes themselves.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

The_Raven posted:

Speaking of HH, it's interesting to listen to the changes in production over the time Carlin's been doing it. I listened to a real early show the other day, I think it was the Bronze Age collapse / Nineveh one, but he had some goofy voice-changer pitch shift on the quotations which freaked me right out when it came in out of nowhere. Even the newer-older ones like Punic Nightmares use a touch of reverb on the quotations that I don't pick up on in the Armageddon shows, and a lot more soundscaping with audio effects in the background.

That reminds me, My History Can Beat Up Your Politics guy keeps doing accents and they're too decent to be hilarious but too terrible to be enjoyable. I think he's toned it down in the newer shows though. There's a Greatest Hits type feed I found on Podcast Republic that has things like Umbrella Man that I quite enjoyed but he keeps doing a Winston Churchill impression when quoting.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

The Jeff Rubin show on Action Park was great, you're saying there's a Dollop about Action Park too?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

I swore off Planet Money a few years ago, I'm not 100% sure I remember why but I am pretty sure it involved them going all David Cameron on "welfare queens."

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

I didn't know it was possible to like Stephen Colbert more.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

I've been listening to the Charles Manson saga on You Must Remember This, I'm two episodes in and it's great. Especially since Manson has always existed to me as a pop culture signifier for creepy cult leaders/murderers like Jim Jones but nothing beyond that.

I've also been listening to Slate's Whistlestop, and it's great if you're at the "I've read a Rick Perlstein book" level of US politics nerdery or aspiring to it. There's an episode on Dewey Defeats Truman, for instance, or Reagan's 'Nashua moment'. It's also nicely self-reflective in the sense that it acknowledges we love to pore over these details and dramatic turning points of presidential campaigns, but they may not really have had the huge impact we love to assign to them. The episodes on 19th century elections are especially noteworthy because it's a period that doesn't get enough love for how batshit insane some of the campaigns were.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Sneaking a Josiah Bartlet/WW episode into a historical/politics podcast would be a great April 1st prank.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

I wonder if Mike Duncan will ever get around to actually learning those accounting and business fundamentals. He's been procrastinating about that for something like a year now.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Looks like everyone else was waiting for the episode too, dancarlin.com is down.

It's 3½ hours on the Achaemenid empire. Only thing I remember about it is that it ruled almost half of the entire population of the world at the time.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Happy he managed to sneak in a boxing (well, fist fight) metaphor.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Malloreon posted:

"So That Happened" by Huffpo
"The Weeds" by Vox
"Political Gabfest" by Slate

Out of these, somehow only Weeds has stuck with me, even though it seems to be the wonkiest of the lot.

A great podcast on US election history is Whistlestop. It's just had a slightly irregular schedule lately since the host is also the host of Face the Nation.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

MeatwadIsGod posted:

To that end, I'd like a long-form series on the Cold War, but I can see how it's just too large a topic.

We kid about how long his podcasts could be but this one would actually be over a thousand hours long.

On the other hand it might be the defining boxing analogy of the 20th century.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Well just post about other podcasts instead!

I liked the Christmas episode of The Weeds a lot. The teenage pregnancy rate decrease really is staggering and there's actually a paper arguing that MTV shows portraying teenage single parenting as the living hell it is have been a factor. Although the show still feels painfully "we're all highly educated white people" in scope and tone, but I guess you can't have everything.

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jan 2, 2016

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

I just gave the new Presidential podcast a try (literally called Presidential). The first episode, on Washington, is now out. After listening to a reporter talk about how big of a frontiersman Washington was over the sound of crickets, after every mention of the war was annotated by re-enactor musket shots and horses clopping along, I gave it up. I might come back to it later, because podcasts on Washington seem to have terrible track records, and they'll bend excessively hagiographical anyway. It's a WP podcast and they intend to cover all 44 presidents during the year, so it'll at least have a better schedule than Ten American Presidents, which apparently had an episode on Colin Powell for some bizarre reason.

So yeah, this podcast might not be for you, if you have been meaning to get into that Rick Perlstein book everyone talks about and can't wait to listen to a Whistlestop episode on Mario Cuomo.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Actually good and expensive music would be fine, but we all know it'll be a gently rendered acoustic guitar version of Hail to the Chief (that is actually the theme song of the podcast).

The podcast really feels like it was made in 2010.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Megazver posted:

late Dan Carlin

Phrasing! I nearly freaked out.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Maybe they just got tired of it and want to do something else? Apparently they've been doing it for six years and over 300 episodes. I've listened to many episodes and like it for commute listening but I still have a colossal backlog of Caustic Soda episodes.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

bollig posted:

If anyone is looking for show on contemporary politics, I would recommend Keepin' it 1600. It's run by two Obama guys, Jon Favreau and Dan Pfeiffer. It's rather liberal, but they have brought a couple Republicans on. It's definitely some inside baseball and in the end, it's just another couple of politicos making their educated guesses, but I think they have some really insightful comments. I want to reiterate that it's pretty partisan.

They had S.E. Cupp on and they didn't interrupt her or shout her down when she was talking absurd nonsense about political correctness having caused Trump so it's not that bad as far as "liberal bias" goes.

The inside baseball on the Obama 2008 campaign and their comparisons to today are very interesting.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Yeah I really like the premise of the Ronald Reagan series but I don't have enough time to listen to poorly put together podcasts when there's a whole crazy election going on. Keeping It 1600 is even going to start releasing two episodes a week because they keep getting stumped by Trump's antics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

I listen to both but if I had to pick it'd be 538.