Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Man, people who don't like Blacklist must have loving loathed Conviction, because Blacklist is loads better. Imagine my surprise when I couldn't just Rambo everyone on an alert even with armor on, the levels expect you to take about an hour, the cooperative missions actually require cooperation, so on and so forth it's difficult to thoroughly list the ways in which this game is better. . . Speaking as a person who liked Conviction. It still has niggling technical problems but holy crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Obsurveyor posted:

Dude, it is way, way loving easier to Rambo the gently caress out of the co-op levels on Perfectionist in Blacklist once you get good at the game.

Yeah I expect that it will get much easier, especially with the more equipment I unlock but it does not get much easier or less stealthy than Conviction.

If I take all +armor outfit items in the early game I can straight up not sneak up on armored soldiers or win a point blank shoot-out with them on Normal; I cannot just mash the melee button in a crowded room; guys will actually see me/hear me from a distance/around close corners if I am loving around.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

When I saw the knife Sam gets handed in the opening sequence, I immediately went "THE MEXICAN SACATRIPE!" because I am on the Internet far too much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFr30p0aZl0

In other news, today I played in a 4v4 deathmatch mode, and, as described by one early player in this thread, discovered that this was a really dumb game mode. Fun fact, you can eventually get spy armor that will apparently allow you to survive most of a magazine from the newbie merc rifle, which is incredibly dumb. I was also trying to follow the advice to hit X when a spy tried to melee me from straight-on, but I must be terrible because this same guy wasn't having any of that.

Not too much of a bother, the actual objective-based gameplay is much better and the problem will resolve itself when I am shooting something more powerful than an unmodded AK.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

RaVE posted:

I played SvM for PT and a little for CT but I'm really enjoying this new version. I even like the 4v4 mode since I'm a sucker for larger game modes.

I'm really hoping the community for this stays strong.

A couple problems:

-The game has a fairly massive set of things to buy with Splinterbucks for online/whatever play. Except you can buy most of what you actually need, ever, within ten hours of play.

-Unlike Conviction, your co-op teammate going full retard is not something you can compensate for on most maps, they will just blow it for both of you. This means that playing with a lot of pubbies is a bigger waste of time than usual. Plus, most of the maps take a long time by multiplayer game standards. This might also be known as the "Horde mode effect," wherein you lose a game of Horde in GoW not by being killed, but when too many pubbies have dropped.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

keyframe posted:

Yea I just upgraded the crossbow. So sleep knockouts on unalerted enemies do not gently caress up your ghost score?

In order to get a perfect ghost score you must not alert, harm, or disable any enemies.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

keyframe posted:

:negative:

gently caress that poo poo, it is sometimes impossible

I have not even tried a superghost run yet because honestly hurting people is not only much quicker but more satisfying. Apparently there are some moments though where you must hurt a person and that isn't counted.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Zebrasectomy posted:

I must not be paying attention... I've been playing Ghost on Perfectionist and knocking out guards and dogs and pilling them in dark corners with reckless abandon, and I'm pretty sure I've been reaching the point cap and filling that little ghost bar all the way at the end of my mission. Do you have to go beyond that cap to get gold then?

No.

Completely bypassing a guard--without even nonlethally disabling them--is worth more points than even a normal nonlethal "ghost" takedown, and is counted as ghost points. If you deal with a guard nonlethally, however you still get ghost points, just not as many.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Zebrasectomy posted:

How long is this game anyways? I'm just about out of the private estate on my ghost/perfectionist playthrough, and I was hoping to get a panther/realistic playthrough and some co-op done before XCom: Enemy Within steals away all my time.

Oh, and feel free to add me on UPlay. I have like zero contacts on that so far. Same name as here.

You have many, many "24 meets Mass Effect!" story sequences left to do.

Also really they don't even try to hide that they re-imagined Fisher as Shepherd.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

My GT is LOLBOT2000 so direct some friend invites there. I don't do much adversarial multiplayer yet.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I can't wait to finish this game and then make an effortpost about how hosed its morality is.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Zebrasectomy posted:

Do any of the choice sequences actually effect anything?

I think I'm just going to play realistic and switch between ghost/panther as the mood strikes me for now and do a perfectionist/ghost run if I have the time after I beat the story and co-op missions. It's Uplay, so whatever artificial joy achievements bring me are lessened as none of my circle of friend's will ever know how sneaky I was that one time.

Without spoiling too much (I'm 61% into the campaign so far), if Sam's actions haven't started World War III yet, they're not going to. The antagonists (and some of your allies!) bother you about being an American cowboy, but so far there's absolutely no story consequence to being as lethal or as ghosty as you want.

I will get more into this when I've finished, there are a few more moral quandaries for Sam to drive a monster truck over.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I'm not going to defend the game's sales numbers, but y'all are acting like they cut it to a $5 Steam holiday sale. $45 is north of what I paid for my 360 copy a week ago.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Even more so at that point, then. These AAA kind of games normally stay at $50-60 for half a year before dropping. Hell, the epitome of commercial gaming, CoD, drops in price several years after release.

I like the game, more or less, it was just surprising to see it on sale in the same place you usually find either bad indie games or old games.

They. . . Really don't at all, though? Especially on PC. You might pay out the rear end at a brick and mortar, that's about it. Also, Call of Duty sells 800 quadrillion units, is up in a stratosphere with GTA and Madden, and is infamous in particular for never having good sales on Steam.

It's also fairly generous to call this a AAA game.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

A bazillion animations. Decently long single player campaign. Large co op component. Major pvp multiplayer with multiple playmodes and progression mechanics. Throwaway "epic" sequences. If this isn't a AAA game to you you should probably think real hard about what constitutes a AAA game and what this title is lacking in that department.

Also, I'll appreciate reading about your take on this game's totally gross morality. Just fyi.

It's very right to say it obviously had a sizeable production budget, I meant in terms of quality. I award it merely two As!

-Cribs Mass Effect really, really hard but doesn't offer any of the actual depth there in character interactions
-A "purchase your own equipment" system that may as well not exist, considering how easy it is to accumulate splinterbucks and the amount of things you actually need to spend them on to have the best equipment
-Very frequent bugs and glitching, especially in coop multiplayer. I've had my partner fall through the floor when getting downed several times or turn into an invincible pincushion that still registers with enemy AI as alive when he dies, many animation errors with melee kills, invisible character models during cut scenes, and even freezes. Basic QA stuff for the most part.

As a result it got 8-range scores from reviewers, which it deserved, because it mostly does everything right in terms of gameplay and on a straight comparison is a million-billion times better than Conviction.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Warning: Contains spoilers.

As If You Care: The Story of How Dumb Splinter Cell Has Become
Splinter Cell: Blacklist is dumb and morally hideous. “Duh,” you say. “It’s a Tom Clancy franchise game. All Tom Clancy games are immoral and dumb.” That’s true and now common knowledge; all of the Clancy franchise games are frozen in time with Cold War comic book plotlines. But Blacklist is a little dumber even than that.

The Characters
The dumbness starts with the characters.

Sam Fisher
It helps if we start out with a short video interview with Michael Ironside promoting this game... That he didn’t do any VA for… Last year. It turns out that Ironside contributed more to the franchise than just his voice.

In reference to an early draft of the first Splinter Cell story: “I found it very shallow… He was almost humanoid, rather than being human.”

This gets into it a little more.

The official story from Ubisoft is that they wanted an actor for Sam who could do more of the mocap than Michael Ironside, but that doesn’t make any sense (since when does a voice actor have to do mocap?). I doubt that Ironside would have signed off on this script.

In order to fully grasp how dumb this will get, a brief synopsis of Sam's arc in Conviction is necessary, itself a pretty dumb game. By the time we get to the beginning of Conviction, Sam Fisher is a burnout. He clearly hit retirement age a while ago, he’s not a hero, and while he’s forgotten more than most spooks know about being a spy-assassin, he’s given up on that because of all the things he’s lost along the way.

Then he gets a sniff that his daughter is alive, and things get very Liam Neeson-Taken. Sam kills… Pretty much everybody, as there’s no option to not kill someone and you can only rarely just go around them. There’s torture scenes (which inartfully allow you to play along by choosing which parts of the environment Sam will use to hurt people), and in one of the least comfortable moments in gaming ever, he beats up his female sidekick, Grim, for reasons.

In addition to all that, it’s still as cheesy as any Tom Clancy game, but at least it hits its own beat. And at the end, Sam can ride off into the sunset, since this spy vs. spy stuff is clearly a younger man’s game and things finish up with Sam outright annihilating the entirety of his old secret agency, which had become an army of terrorists bent on world domination, to the last man. They wrapped this one with a bow.

(Third Echelon had become so evil and extralegal that it apparently spent no time whatsoever combating threats to the United States or world peace, instead plotting to rule the world via coup d’état—and was outside the military chain of command and beyond the control of the President of the United States. This last part will be important later.)

Blacklist asks you to forget this previous story ever happened. Other than certain characters reappearing, the events of Conviction are referenced in about two scenes and that’s it. Sam looks and sounds 20 years younger—sure, he is still graying, but other than that he is a total Commander Shepard clone, looking, sounding, and even superficially acting like him. The grizzled character appearing on the cover of this game and on the title screen does not exist. Sam is placed in command of the NormandyPaladin, an airborne command center from which he can literally call the shots. This all looks and plays very much like Mass Effect, except without any of the depth entailed by that RPG. There are no dialogue trees, no real decisions for you to make, and, as we’ll explore, all of the characters are weaklings compared to Sam.

Sam is a dedicated man of action now. All that crap where he watched most of his life go up in flames because of his spy games, and then willingly torched the rest of it? Well now he’s in charge of FOURTH Echelon, created by the President to do more deniable ops and again unleash the FIFTH FREEDOM—to kill anyone and everyone deemed necessary in order to complete a mission, with no oversight. Also, Sam alone is in charge of what the mission is. That’s sensible, given what happened the last time a group had this authority. Also, it’s very Mass Effect. You liked Mass Effect, right?

Sam has become a mission-first guy. Nothing must interfere with the mission—not his daughter, not anyone else’s opinion, not his own survival, not even considerations that he might start a world war. The game teases this being a moral quandary, but it really isn’t to the game.

Almost humanoid, rather than human.

Onto Sam’s other teammates, and why they are weak. Their weaknesses in comparison to spy-assassin demigod Sam are their defining characteristics. Despite having absolute authority over the mission, as well as who stays and who goes, Sam is stuck with a team of spooks that he explicitly dislikes and distrusts.

Grim
Grim is weak because she is beholden to the President, which makes her unable to see what really must be done (World War III). The President is herself a capitulating weakling, as we'll see, and all her intelligence agencies are always wrong about what the Engineers are doing and what the U.S. should do next.

Charlie
Charlie is a nerd hacker that does nerd things. He is weak because nerds. Get it together, you loving nerd. Also whenever you look at his rubberized face and his horrifying eyeballs you will get the worst case of uncanny valley ever.

Isaac Briggs
Briggs is a newb. He thinks that things like working within a chain of command, sharing information with other intelligence agencies, having a plan, and not causing World War III are important. He is wrong about everything ever. Sam has to constantly correct Briggs’ idiot reluctance to be a cool spy dude, as well as his other idiot-moron opinions and assumptions, literally every time they talk.

Andriy Kobin
Andriy Kobin is a cokehead arms dealer who faked the death of Sam’s daughter, attempted to murder Sam, and acted on the orders of Third Echelon, a cartoon rogue spy-terrorist organization. When last Andriy and Sam met, Sam tortured him for information and then Andriy kicked him in the head. He sits in a jail cell and somehow knows intelligence things. He also provides black market weapons (all of which are terrible), because those are things that a high-tech U.S. spy agency on a black budget would ever need.

All of these characters also hate each other. I kept expecting one of them to be a mole and betray Sam at a key moment because of how little respect they have for one another. Everyone treats everyone else like a moron and behaves childishly.

The Story: It’s Stupid
A new cartoon terrorist organization with unlimited resources appears, headed by another Bond villain, Majid Sadiq. To make things trendy, he is British Bane, with a beard instead of a mask. He’s bald. He’s a sociopath. He’s got a weird jacket thing going on. He is interested in trolling Sam Fisher—unlike Bane, for no explicable reason—as much as he is being evil. He ostensibly fights against U.S. imperialism, but is actually just interested in creating chaos for selfish non-reasons. He appears as the puppetmaster, but is actually beholden to someone else. He’s Bane.

Sadiq’s limitless army of cartoonishly evil mercenaries is called the Engineers. The Engineers blow up a U.S. military base in Guam and then publicly announce that they are going to perpetrate a massive terrorist attack every week until the U.S. withdraws all its forces from across the world. Nine-eleven times a hundred. That’s 91,100!

So… Why does the government need deniable ops to deal with this? The U.S. can bring its full intelligence apparatus and military strength to bear against this threat without limitation. There is no need whatsoever for the involvement of an organization that does not officially exist to conduct sensitive missions, as the Engineers go out of their way to not have any political cover and to commit acts that, if they are at the behest of any nation, would clearly start a war. Several of the missions could be completed by an airstrike, rather than a tactical insertion.

Sam also frequently looks at the raw intelligence data compiled by the other characters and decides to do the opposite of what every other intelligence agency is doing on a hunch, because he's too clever. His hunch is always correct.

This is acceptably dumb at this point. Pretty goddamn dumb, but we’re still in normal Tom Clancy territory.

Then Tehran happens. But let’s back up a second to the non-lethal gameplay.

The Batman Approach
You can play the vast majority of Blacklist with the choice of going lethal or non-lethal. This provides some variation in gameplay (going exclusively one over the other will make parts of the game very easy or slightly more difficult, depending on the situation).

But it doesn’t really matter how much you make Sam stick to the Batman philosophy, because:

1) None of his team is. Playing as other team members, you frequently have to give heavy air support or complete a sequence where you can’t go non-lethal. At other times, team members as NPCs kill people to help Sam.

2) The game’s story assumes you are going lethal, or at the very least that you don’t care. The game’s storyline doesn’t change based on your style or make mention of your tactics; Sadiq accuses you of being an imperialist murderer; Sam clearly intends to kill Sadiq and flips out when Briggs doesn't kill him in order to save Sam at one point; and so on. There's an achievement for not killing anyone as Sam. That's about it.

3) Given a couple of comparatively light torture sequences (compared to Conviction), Sam clearly has no problem with torture, making a non-lethal approach that much more meaningless. Ubisoft actually cut at least one interactive torture sequence from the game after bad reactions from the gaming press. I can only imagine how bad that was, given Conviction had a torture session in probably half the levels. At the end of the game, you imprison Sadiq in a secret prison, rather than bring him to justice, after maiming him with a knife and shooting him in the chest.

Essentially, while the game has non-lethal options, these are only included to spice up gameplay options, not play a different story. You have to torture a few people and risk a major war to make an omelette.

Where this really breaks down is Tehran.

Tehran
At one point in the game, Fourth Echelon suspects Iran may be funding the Engineers, but they want to confirm it. What is Sam’s play here? Stage a one-man invasion of Iran, duh.

1) Hold an Iranian General at gunpoint and bluff him into believing Sam will bomb his family unless he sneaks him into the old American embassy.

2) When the General calls his bluff, Sam must take out the General and a large group of Iranian soldiers and then escape from the embassy. At this point the entire Iranian military knows an intruder is in the embassy no matter what you do, so realistically escape would be impossible and there would be video on Youtube of Sam being paraded around on a stick by a street mob in time for the six o’clock news, but whatevs, this gets worse.

3) If you go lethal in this level, you are basically pissing on the grave of world peace. There's not an olive branch that covers "Sorry, one of our assassins breached into your base and shot, cut the throat of, or exploded every Iranian he came across."

4) You steal Iran’s hard drive to learn the truth. All of its data ever.

5) Even if you go non-lethal, Fourth Echelon has to assist you with UAV drone missiles on Iranian military vehicles in a minigame so that you can escape from Iran. The game points out that this will leave evidence of the attack originating with America. You have now executed a full-fledged, unprovoked, surprise military attack on Iran.

6) Hilariously, at the end of the mission, it’s revealed that Iran definitely has no involvement with the Engineers.

That’s it. Sam directly causes World War III here. It’s over. At this point, Sam is not only outside the military and civilian chain of command, but is actively concealing his actions from the other agencies until they in turn no longer cooperate with him or share their own information. But the game completely handwaves the outcome of the Iran mission and in the end justifies all of Sam's actions.

But wait! Things get dumber.

Gitmo
Sam must infiltrate Gitmo to re-capture a terrorist he captured and released to gather intelligence for him in a previous level, because the terrorist is now lying to the CIA about Iran on behalf of the Engineers. He was not lying to Sam, though. Anyway, Sam must do this even though Briggs already has access to the entire facility, because Briggs is weak (this mission, like almost every other, is carried out over Briggs' objections). Once inside, Sam tortures the terrorist and can decide to kill him after he again gives him accurate information. Torture works!

Denver
It's revealed that Sadiq is not interested in making American forces withdraw (which is simply impossible, unlike the other events of this game), but that everything has been leading up to forcing America's leaders into bunkers so that they can enact the Final Attack. The Engineers attack the Secretary of Defense's bunker, capture him, and fortify the bunker against counter-attack. The President prepares to capitulate to the Engineers' demands because she is weak, unlike Sam. Meanwhile, the Engineers begin to torture the Secretary of Defense so that he will give them America's hard drive, at which point they will possess All the Information Ever, attaining some vague but dreadful ultimate power.

Sam directly countermands the President by doing anything at all about this, and the President actually tries to ignore him at first. This is where Briggs earns his stripes and Sam's respect, when, to prevent the very thing Sam did to Iran, Briggs murders the Secretary of Defense, breaking his neck. Sam's actions have long before this ruined Briggs' career at the CIA, but Briggs learns to love Sam anyway, since the only cool guy in the room is the middle-aged 40-year old who is doing lone wolf ops in his sixties. Whatever age he is supposed to be, who knows.

TL;DR
-The game endorses every facet of neoconservative foreign policy in the dumbest way possible.

-It's a toothless Mass Effect rip-off.

-The story fundamentally doesn't make any sense.

-The game tries to trick you into thinking that you should pause to consider Sam's actions, but either gives you no real opportunity to do so, or worse yet, gives you the illusion of choice or the ability to play along enthusiastically.

-Any character who doubts Sam's actions is ultimately proven to be totally wrong, no matter who they are or what their justifications are. All of the characters, who are unruly children, realize that Sam is the Best in the end and his deep moral flaws and high-functioning psychosis are actually strength of character.

-Sam has been replaced with an alien that tests well with gamer focus groups.

-The villain is another "fake leftist" that keeps popping up in games and movies lately. He's also a Bane clone.

-None of the events of Conviction matter, and at one point in the multiplayer story, one of the more important and interesting moments from the previous game is totally retconned.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Naky posted:

I agree with all that. And yet, out of all the Splinter Cells, I think I put more time into playing this game than all the rest.

Oh and I still would have spoiler tagged all that. I know lots of people didn't get Blacklist since they bought Saint's Row 4 first with the intention of getting Blacklist later.

Yeah, even given all that it's still a good game. Also, I thought a giant spoil tag would kinda be obnoxious, but from here on out I will spoil anything that gets talked about.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Orv posted:

So the cannon ending of that final coop mission in Conviction is that Kestrel wins? I love that mission, so that's pretty amusing in a way.

OK, backing up to the beginning. Kestrel is a Voron super-agent with Archer, a Third Echelon super-agent. They work together on some missions to recover some high-tech weaponry from Bad Guys. On the last coop mission, Kestrel and Archer are simultaneously commanded to hunt down and kill each other. Whichever player wins is then shot by Kobin. Both are found in body bags on the second Conviction single player level in Kobin's mansion, which takes place immediately after their coop story, quite obviously dead. Their entire mission was to steal some EMP superweapons for Third Echelon that the antagonist eventually uses to black out DC and attack the White House.

In Blacklist, somehow, Kestrel ends up inside a secret Voron facility (who are now evil), alive but in coma, and you rescue him. They were interrogating him for information about Third Echelon superweapons, which somehow leads to them trying to steal a nuke from India and bla bla bla... and it's just nothing but a long-winded way to get Kestrel back in the story and kill some dudes.

I can't really decide if they should have stuck to their guns and kept him dead, which was a stupidly amusing and cheesy way to end his arc, or gone on with this even more stupid retcon. Kestrel was the cooler of the two characters on account of being Russian and not saying "rear end in a top hat!" fifty times a level.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Silentgoldfish posted:

Only archer's body is there so it's not that much of a retcon. The weird thing is the body's not hidden but for some reason I never noticed it was archer until I read it in a faq.

There's definitely two body bags.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1p0JQ2Y2Hw

But yeah it's pretty easy to completely miss the bodies, it might be even possible to take a route where you wouldn't find them.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Many goons say Clancy wrote almost none of even his own books, though I've not chased down what evidence they're referring to.

I just think it's funny that he's always wearing giant aviators on his book covers because with his glasses off he looks like the alien assassin in The Last Starfighter:

I also appreciate that his stories are all crazy and that the crazy gets carried into the stuff he definitely never touched, like the games. It's hilarious that the first Rainbow Six antagonists are radical ecoterrorists (in both the game and the book, if I recall). If ELF could hire HYDRA to conduct suicide ops for it while it hid in a South American base, we'd be living in a much different world.

Every time I relate the Blacklist plot to people we all have a good laugh, for what it's worth, and it was decided that obviously someone assassinated Clancy, since there's no cause of death publicized and that's the only way he could go out. At the end of the day even without a cartoon faux-RIPPED FROM THE HEADLINES plot, Splinter Cell is a right wing wank anyway.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

hojusimpson posted:

After reading your post, I don't know if I want to avoid the game forever (I'd only play solo, and probably only play non-lethal) or buy it right away.

This seems like the type of story that should have been in (or already is in?) that Marlow Briggs game. Instead, we're left with another bizarre episode in the Splinter Cell saga.

This is the best Splinter Cell game in several iterations, which is the "best" part. Also, the coop is fairly good and introduces a Gears of War Horde mode (that can actually be finished in one long sitting, unlike Horde mode).

Whatever happens, the new Rainbow Six game is probably going to blow away the previous high water mark for immorality and mind-numbing stupidity in shooter games, since you're throwing hostages off of bridges and shooting cops and that's just what we know about so far.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

GUI posted:

After 3 months I finally got around to finishing this. I loved the gameplay despite night vision being utterly useless and the unneeded upgrade system; why yes, I'd like suits to trivialize stealth and fifty million weapons most of which I'll never use and have dozens of useless attachments.
The storyline and all characters (except maybe Kobin and Briggs) were awful though, Conviction started this by retconning Grim's personality into the ~~serious business~~ type, and now this game did the same with Fisher, who is a tremendous unlikeable douchebag with no humor whatsoever and looks 30 years younger to boot (I suppose someone was a big fan of Renegade Shepard from Mass Effect). The storyline itself was utterly brain-dead and offensive garbage, but this was already discussed pages ago so there's no point in repeating it.
I'm also glad that video games have finally run out of design ideas for white guys after thirty years of constantly using them, either that or someone really liked Kenji Eno's concept of the digital actor.

No, they're pretty much focus-grouping it into "Every game needs a middle-aged underwear model, right?" At least in Mass Effect you can mess with the sliders and make an insane holocaust victim. Anyone who runs as Standard Mass Effect Guy is a chump.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

blackguy32 posted:

The most frustrating thing about the original I remember was the body hiding mechanic. I had made it to the CIA stage, and I could not for the life of me figure out why the hell I was failing the mission despite no one being around. It was also always in the same spot too. The game never mentions that it automatically triggers alarms if it finds bodies not hidden in dark areas.

It was such a dumb loving mechanic.

They took one of the best things about Conviction in that you can easily adapt to situations pretty quickly. You can get spotted, run off and sprint through the area if you are good enough while the enemies check out where they think you are. I really love the Panther playstyle. I am still just bitter that something weird is happening with my game. On both Far Cry 3 and Blacklist, my frame rate screeches to a halt in cutscenes, but it is perfectly smooth during gameplay which just boggles my mind. The Paladin feels like a slide show but in mission it runs fine.

Also part of me misses the classic SvM but the other part doesn't cause I remember all of the bitter rear end spies who would quit as soon as they lost their spy round. You also had the people who would get mad at you if you used anything other than the rifle

I didn't really enjoy Splinter Cell games until Conviction, when it became a glorified action game wherein you relied on misdirecting your foes. Before then I felt like I was playing trial and error, which is one of the things in games I hate most (hello Hitman).

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I have posted in this thread about what a shitshow this game's story is even considering it is a Tom Clancy game. Developers are in an arms race to come up with the biggest right wing foreign policy fantasy wank in their shooters these days.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

VagueRant posted:

What was Grim like originally? I don't really remember.

Off the story and back to gameplay - what's up with the guards that magically know where you are when you shoot (with a silenced weapon!) and kill one of them even though you weren't in sight of anyone? It seems like there's a 50/50 chance of every guard in the area instantly knowing where you are every time you try and play panther style. This also makes the amount of missions where if getting spotted is an instant game over very frustrating. I don't know what they were thinking with them. I mean one or two, sure, but come on.

Then the guys with helmets completely render the Mark and Execute feature completely pointless. Sam is a master of popping helmets off from afar, but he does not know how to double tap!

The upgrading system is weirdly unbalanced. Why would you ever upgrade the first two pistols? You just buy the middle one so you can buy the last one and upgrade that, no? It has the best stats and ammo! Once unlocked, why would you buy any assault rifle that isn't the ultra powerful SC4K thing?

The lack of drop in/drop out co-op is really dumb. And it causes problems if your internet disconnects mid-game. Playing an embassy horde mode mission for twenty-thirty minutes and losing EVERYTHING = fun! The glitches also can really screw you over in that mode. (The infinite supply of little one-hit-kill exploding RC cars can gently caress off too.)

And back to the story, there's the gripping moral choices of KILL or SPARE pointlessly thrown in about three times. Why wouldn't Sam always spare people who could be useful prisoners and intelligence assets? It's not like he's a vigilante any more. Oh and PRESS SQUARE TO EXECUTE FIFTH FREEDOM is one of the dumbest things I've seen in gaming this year.

Plus, the previously discussed level where you sneak into Guantanamo Bay...so you can torture a prisoner there. Sam crushes the dude's wrist in a folding chair a little bit and he immediately gives up his info. Because apparently that's all it takes! I don't understand how anything with millions spent on mocap and cutscenes can be so utterly tone-deaf and not self-aware

The only three longarms worth using:

1) SC4K
2) The best silenced sniper because you can mark and execute from almost unlimited range and it even sometimes clips. Importantly, it sometimes goes through helmets.
3) The loudest most high-damage rifle you can find because you give no fucks

Other than that, all the "main" weapons should be ignored.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

blackguy32 posted:

This game becomes infinitely more fun once you start unlocking some of the gadgets and gear. You can sneak faster, have more options, have more intel on the battlefield and the game just seems a lot more faster paced instead of having to wait til a guard looks away.

Yeah once you have the fully upgraded headset the game becomes a lot easier. It's also super worth it to completely upgrade the crossbow right away even if you have disdain for nonlethal solutions. Then of course you unlock the high-armor and high-sneak clothing sets.

None of this takes very long, leaving you to unlock a bunch of junk at your leisure.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Roman posted:

Developed by Canadian, French-Canadian, and Shanghai-based studios and published by a French company.

Are you actually going to debate the merits or is it too amazing that military shooters are all trying to get in on the Call of Duty market?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The reason for missions like this is generally because most of the base/facility/military camp are just everyday dudes/soldiers, and only a few are actually in on the conspiracy. Shutting down the launch tends to mean the everyday dudes are going to come take a look and go "who the gently caress tried to launch nukes at the Americans?!"

There's basically no one in Blacklist that Sam fights that the world wouldn't be better off without. And nearly all of the time, the story is written such that everyone will know an American--often Sam specifically--was at the scene even if you ghost the entire level. To say nothing of "murder these people" minigames.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Rookersh posted:

Hahahaha.

So when I bitched earlier about hating the stealth point system, this is why. Because the game starts you at fast crouch walk, and on PC at least, it never tells you there are ways to change speeds. So every time I've attempted to sneak up on a guy, I've been caught/shot, and just wandering around leads to constant "did you hear something?!"'s. It's gotten better now that I'm in r2 stealth gear, but that's real dumb they don't say that at all during the intro sequence. I can see this being instinctive on consoles, because "lightly feather the stick" is default for "move slower", but why wouldn't they put up a message saying to "hit x to toggle speed on PC".

Christ.

Eventually you will just get the superstealth suit and this will stop being a thing. Also I'm a controller advocate for most games, including this one.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

When people talk about the new Sam character, the general response is "What character?" He's Mass Effect Guy. He does Mass Effect things without even a hint of what actually makes those games a draw. It's just clear to Ubisoft that Guy Who Looks Like Mass Effect in a Mass Effect Ship is bound to somehow sell more copies than the character that held up this entire franchise. Because he yells at everyone and has tough man choices. Meanwhile, the guy who originally provided the soul of the character implicitly washed his hands of this game. The new "character" doesn't even look like Sam Fisher.

Worse than being Tom Clancy dumb, the storyline is idiotic and amazingly shallow. It's not really necessary to even get offended at it. You are not going to Gitmo because the storyline endorses torture, indefinite detention, or other neoconservative tripe (though it explicitly does so). You are going because they thought it would be cool to go there, so they just clumsily write a reason that you are there.

They infiltrated Ethical CIA Noob in there but for some reason Sam has to be one to torture him. That is a thing that is necessary.

There's also explicitly no consequences to any of the hilariously childish behavior of all the characters. Sam is proven right in the end because he's a coolguy maverick.

I guess it's good enough to throw up your hands and go "Who gives a poo poo? There has never been a Tom Clancy game that wasn't a right wing fantasyland that only an idiot would take seriously." But this is actually the all-time dumbest Tom Clancy game, which is saying something after a game that included context-sensitive scenery for your torture minigames (and this one almost had that too). It's super-dumb and the only way to handle it is to just ignore it, because it's clearly minimum effort.

It is worth criticizing that this game is just another soldier in an army of right-wing focused media pieces in gaming and movies. This is a good companion piece to repugnant dreck like Olympus Has Fallen.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Future Soldier is pretty much a Call of Duty clone and I was not super-impressed by it.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I enjoy using the un-suppressed Makarov for the style. Sleeping gas bolts feel like cheating. I mix and match guns depending on my mood--really fun to use shotties, except that the shotties clearly have no spread.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

You can complete most of the single-player game without killing anyone and you get the most points for not disturbing anyone at all. This is in contrast to Conviction, which was near 180 from previous SC games and demanded you slay everyone with impunity.

I really enjoyed Conviction despite it not really being at all like classic Splinter Cell, and Blacklist is better than Conviction in almost every way.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jul 21, 2014

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

PaganGoatPants posted:

A friend and I bought Blacklist. Coop not working online at all. Thanks Ubisoft! :thumbsup:

Try having the other person host. I have had some problems myself on PC.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I love Michael Ironside as much as the next guy, but I find it hard to believe that a voice actor for a video game character would turn down a role because he felt that his video game character wasn't deep enough.

When they first asked him to do the very first Splinter Cell he thought the character sucked and he had some influence in developing it.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

How much does the crossbow trivialize stealth? I'm trying to kill as few people as possible. But it's pretty hard sneaking around and getting up close with guards the way their patrols change randomly. I watched some video on ghosting however, and that seemed to consist entirely of taking guys out with the gas crossbow bolts from a safe distance. That kind of gameplay is for scrubs.

A headshot from the crossbow will take out an armored trooper, and it's an AOE effect that can take out his nearby friends, too. For most enemies you don't even have to score a hit, just shoot it near their feet and they're done. It has a limited range, but if you are good you can arc the shot to hit someone from almost any distance. Meanwhile, you are magically immune to the gas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Shumagorath posted:

You can pick the wrong answer in Gone Dark map hunts which means you miss the Paladin bonus.

Speaking of uninformed choices: I know the first execution doesn't matter, but do others (drone operator et al.) have any material impact? I'm playing mostly Panther so it's not like I care about the bodycount.

Insofar as I know it only affects your achievements.

• Locked thread