Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
For someone lusting after getting into medium format (for a portrait project I have in mind - yes I know I could easily do that on 35mm/digital, medium format is just so awesome), would this be a good starter camera?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yashica-Mat-124G-/290979296873?pt=Film_Cameras&hash=item43bfb7b669

Is that a ridiculous price?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Reichstag posted:

As long as it works, that is an excellent camera, and not a bad price.

Reichstag posted:

As long as it works, that is an excellent camera, and not a bad price.

Hmm alright. I'm always wary of ebay.

I was also considering this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/PENTAX-6x7-...=item3a851a527c

But it's body only :/

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Curious: what is the use of the shutter lock switch on the Pentax 67? Is it basically a bulb mode?

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

dukeku posted:

So you don't bump it when you've cocked the shutter in advance. Bulb mode is the "B" setting, T mode (time) can be used by setting the shutter dial to an invalid speed (the large blank space) and turning it to a valid speed to close the shutter when the exposure is finished.

Interesting, thank you!

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Just bought a Pentax 6x7 w/ a 75mm lens and a 200mm lens for $500 (including shipping).

Squeeeeeeee.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Pentax 67 showed up. Jesus gently caress this thing is so loving big.

Question for the Pentax 67'ers. Do you primarily use a tripod? Which tripod?

Do you primarily use the eye level finder with the meter, or waist level finder plus an external meter?

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Shot 5 rolls over the weekend. Did the math. Realized that between buying/developing/scanning I'm paying over a dollar a frame.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I have to scan my own, cause $8 a roll for develop/scan means I'm never going to get good at this.

I know these are whatever, but they made me pretty happy (union square dance team in nyc, a band I whose promo shots I was taking, GF). All handheld.

08770001.jpg by spikespikespike, on Flickr

08750005.jpg by spikespikespike, on Flickr

08750007.jpg by spikespikespike, on Flickr

08730003.jpg by spikespikespike, on Flickr

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Wyeth posted:

Handy guide. Red is bad.

Oh this is super helpful, thank you.

8th-snype posted:

I wish you hadn't cut off their hands in this one.

Yeah :/. I should have known, I was reading through the portrait thread before that shoot. Next time.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Went out with my girlfriend. I need to learn more about directing people when posing.

12360001.jpg by spikespikespike, on Flickr

12350009.jpg by spikespikespike, on Flickr

12350001.jpg by spikespikespike, on Flickr

I want to reshoot that last night, missed focus.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

dukeku posted:

SOOC Portra. Any tips on post processing?

I put a children's poncho over my film bag at night. Works great.

Step 1: Leave mars.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
My girlfriends father just sent me 12 rolls of black and white tmax film. Two questions:

1: The film is all expired by at least 7 years, but has been stored in a fridge that entire time. It's currently residing in mine after being shipped across the country. Anyone know whether that's going to make an appreciable (negative) impact on the image?
2: Actually my second question is stupid, never mind.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

VomitOnLino posted:

Well, let's go over the basics, in order of importance:

1. Frozen or chilled film keeps pretty well, as the fridge not only keeps it cool, but also is a metal enclosure. (Radiation)
2. Low speed film keeps better than fast film.
3. Color negative keeps better than slide, black and white better than both.
4. Medium format keeps better than 35, this is probably due to cartridges vs vacuum sealed baggies.

Considering all that, you should be OK shooting that T-Max at box speed (if ISO 100) or maybe something like 320 if it's the 400 speed version.
T-Max is quite forgiving, not as much as Tri-X but it still takes some abuse.

Woah wait, freezing film doesnt have any negative effects?

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I'm looking to get a waist level finder for my pentax 67 cause you know, I need to spend another $100 on this.

Has anyone used the rigid waist level viewfinder for the pentax 67? What is it like to use? Can you easily see the full image with camera at waist level?

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Still struggling with this camera

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Sludge Tank posted:

Sorry about the dust

portra160_8 by Alex Gard, on Flickr

This is great.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Working on putting my pentax to good use taking portraits of friends, for an interview project that I'm building a website for.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

8th-snype posted:

Got some Portra back from the lab.

. by 8th-samurai, on Flickr

I like this, but what's with the blurring on the left and the lack of it on the right?

8th-snype posted:

Got some Portra back from the lab.

20131211-001-web by 8th-samurai, on Flickr

Love this.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Temp with wind chill was below 0 and I thought it was a good time to go out and take photos.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Helicity posted:

Thanks for all the tips everyone. I think this will be difficult, but I'm also thinking I'll be the only one getting up close MF shots of my subjects. This is likely the type of lighting environment I will be dealing with:

I won't have a long time to get my exposure right, I'll probably just bracket 3-4 shots manually just to make sure. I'll look into the Velvia slide or something similar, but now ISO 100 is another problem with a lens that is only f3.5 (Fuji GW690ii).

You're going out to take a huge picture of a tornado?

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Starting a project documenting all the weird characters that hang around Times Square trying to fleece money from tourists.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Excellent shot.
What did you shoot with?

Thanks! Portra 400 on a Pentax 6x7.

Baron Dirigible posted:

Wow, that's fantastic.

I went through and read your post history in this thread, and now I'm even more excited to get into MF if you only started in September and you're already producing these results. This shot is massively different to your others, though -- can I go out on a limb and guess it's slide film? I have no experience yet but I'm trying to pick up what I can.

Got my tracking number from KEH. Expected delivery is next Tuesday, when I've got the day off work. Which would be great except I always get stuff delivered to work. :negative:

Nope, just regular Portra. Not sure why it turned out so well, esp considering I surreptitiously metered with an app on my phone before I approached them and then just trusted it would be okay.

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

How many rap CDs did you have to buy for them to let you take the picture?

I tipped them a dollar or two each. Those rap cd guys are terrible though. I always see them going after asian tourists who clearly don't speak english.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Keep at it, but just a heads up, this has been done.

Figured, link?

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Ferris Bueller posted:

On the RB67 vs Pentax 67 the last thing I would say it the RB is heavy as hell when compared to the pentax. They're both beasts as far as weight is concerned. The RB is much bulkier then the pentax, and the pentax does have faster glass then the RB, but I bought into the RB system as it was a bit cheaper, and the flexibility the film magazines give you.

Having bought a Pentax 67 recently, it is a bulky, heavy camera. A lot of the weight is in the prism, so a folding focus hood will make it more manageable.

On that note tho: dang shooting through that hood is real tricky.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Band shoot.

25 year old expired tmax that's been in a freezer

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Went to Miami, shot three rolls, took two acceptable pictures.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Still taking pictures of the people who hang around Times Square in costumes for money.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

I'd like to see the subjects somewhat more isolated from their backgrounds. There's a lot of distracting stuff going on in some of them.

Hmm you mean a shallower depth of field, or trying to shoot them with less stuff behind them?

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Both, honestly.

Cool, next time I'm there I'll keep that in mind. Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

I just did Lightroom adjustments but my post skills aren't so great, admittedly. maybe I don't have a very good eye for this stuff? Thanks for the encouragement y'all, it's meaningful n stuff <3

Your photos are the poo poo.

Those past two photos are def too pink tho.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Untitled by spikemccue, on Flickr

andi by spikemccue, on Flickr

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

8th-snype posted:

12x16? How quaint.

Is that Clifford Ross? gently caress that guy.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

BANME.sh posted:

I've never really investigated any film gear other than 35mm, but for some reason I assumed that there were no medium format SLR bodies. Now I have a new (attainable) dream camera I want to save up for. But I should probably get better at photography first.

It's really bigger than it looks in that photo

Just so you know, it's pretty hard to use as you would use a 35mm SLR. It's really freaking big, and it's really freaking heavy. The pentaprism is actually one of the reasons it's so heavy. Also, the light meter is fairly difficult to use. My shots started getting better after I stopped using the prism's meter, and using an external light meter.

Also, you're only getting ~10 shots a roll, and those shots are costing you ~50 cents each, just in terms of film cost. Swapping rolls also requires moving a spindle from one side to the other, so it's a more intensive process than swapping in new 35mm.

Because of the weight, the light meter, and the cost, I've found myself being much more choosey about which shots I'm taking. Consequently, I've mostly ditched the prism and have been using the waist level viewfinder, and I find I'm much happier. Though, the image is reversed, so thats a whole different pain in the rear end, but still.

Awkward Davies fucked around with this message at 15:09 on May 30, 2014

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

8th-snype posted:

With a little bit of cardboard and gaffer tape you can find out for yourself.

Problem with this solution (while cheap) is that you lose out on the magnifying loupe thingie, which I find pretty helpful sometimes.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I have 15+ rolls to scan and no scanner. So, old one:

times square by spikemccue, on Flickr

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I finally bought a scanner and I've been scanning and processing photos from the last two months. I've never had to process photos before, so please, if my photos are strangely colored, let me know.

Muir Woods by spikemccue, on Flickr

AK by spikemccue, on Flickr

Mount Desert Island, ME by spikemccue, on Flickr

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Spedman posted:

Thats killer.

Thanks!

XTimmy posted:

Could you, if it's not to much trouble, post your post workflow? I have a friend who's invested in a C330 and a v700 and he's lamenting his inability to get tonality like this. I develop his negs for him and his density is dead on, but I'm not really up on scanning and digitizing.

Uhh, to be honest, I don't know what the gently caress I'm doing. I was referred to this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_qeZOWqchM when I asked around in the dorkroom IRC that shall not be talked about, and I basically followed those instructions. I also used a mask to darken the exposure on the figure in the light (aka my mom) to make it/her stand out more.

But yeah, otherwise, I'm a loving noob and I have no idea what I'm doing. Sorry I can't be more help.

Edit: to be more specific, I scanned it as positive film, 48 bit color, 1200 dpi. I inverted it in photoshop and then used levels and curves adjustments. Used a v600 scanner.

Awkward Davies fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jun 11, 2014

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I am poo poo at coloring and editing photos, godammit.

Dad in Mt Desert by spikemccue, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

8th-snype posted:

so good...

Thanks! Here's another one from the same trip that I'm also struggling with:

Parents by spikemccue, on Flickr

• Locked thread