Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

You should throw something in there about the Chamonix, aka the cool camera for cool people.

http://www.chamonixviewcamera.com/45.html

I am not a cool person, but I do have a pentax 67. Pentax 67's rule.

Open Cut by MrDespair, on Flickr

img004-2.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Primo Itch posted:

This post came in quite a good time for me.

Wow, looks interesting. There's some for nice prices on eBay, and there's some interesting variations and lots of lenses quite on the cheap side. The exacka 66 is west german made and more modern, but i can't find any on german ebay. Definitely some new possibilities. Thanks!

You mean the "Camera-around-the-northwest-USA" project? :haw: Yeah, i'd definitely do it, but there's always to consider the fact that any kind of reasonably priced shipping is going to take a lot of time to and from here, so if I were to join in it would take around 2 to 3 months (4-6 weeks shipping time each way) for just my participation...

Hey, the camera is currently floundering in the center of the US now. :colbert:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

I decided to get an OM-D instead of a 5dmkii mostly because I could carry it in the bag with my p67 without hating myself.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

acros 100 and hp5+ own own own

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

V600 seems to be about the same price (you can get refurb v600's from epson cheaper than a v500 on amazon).

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

QPZIL posted:

Ehhhhh...... I've never personally said those words.

But then again I irrationally hate Ektar.

You also stopped using your ME Super.

It's obvious that you aren't one to be trusted when it comes to film.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

8th-samurai posted:

I used gaffer tape to pad the edge of the VF on my Pentax 67 and haven't had any glasses gouging. BTW anyone that likes that photo should go to the classified thread and buy my P67. I need 4x5 film and beer money :argh:

This is what I did as well.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

buy it and get a powered firewire hub, gosh.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

EXPERIENCE BIJ

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Spedman posted:

My new home made 8x10 sliding box camera. Built out of 12mm thick plywood and all cut with a handsaw. The lens is a big C-Claron Schneider lens I picked up at a photography swap meet, and the wet plate holder is from Chamonix. The lens being the whole reason I built the camera, it'd break any other camera I have that I would mount it on. I’ve just got to finish it off with a elasticated back made from MDF, and I’ll need to find some frosted glass/acrylic. But in the meantime I'll just some baking paper as the focusing screen. Oh, and I built it in portrait orientation, I found I shoot nearly 80% that way:

Compared to the Dorkroom unit of measure the ME Super on top:

I'll shoot some paper with it next weekend once I get it finished off, and once I get a big dipper tank built I'll do some 8x10 tintypes.

I like that camera.

The 8x10 is pretty nice too.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

I just ordered a c-41 kit, now I need to shoot more c-41 before it shows up.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

dukeku posted:

My best tip for Epson Scan: scan your negatives as 48 bit positives and do all of the inversion work yourself in Photoshop.

This is what I do. I also mash the auto exposure button in Epson Scan instead of doing any real work.

Fuji reala:

c41003.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

c41002.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Portra:

c41014.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

c41018.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 18:00 on May 17, 2013

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

Now I know what you mean by "Reala has a magenta cast". I don't think your inversion approach works as well as you think, as I've never seen that in any of my Reala scans despite sometimes being way off on the exposure.

There's 2 ways of explaining this.

1: I'm still terrible with adjusting curves and levels to get color right, especially I'm too lazy to calibrate my monitor

2: The reala I was shooting expired in 2007 and I was shooting at it's rated speed still.

Also I looked back at the tif in lightroom and the tint is actually set to +21 magenta. So I'm not sure if the magenta tint is necessarily from it being expired as poo poo, or just because of me trying to get the picture to look ok with the shadows look like complete rear end. So try not to blame the technique, blame the user. I do think I need to shoot the rest of this reala at 50 iso or something though.

e. Also this is probably the same batch of reala that 8th-samurai used, so I'm glad it's not just me.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Saint Fu posted:

The only reason I care so much about the weight is because it's a three week 200 mile hike (John Muir trail) so every ounce does count. I think I probably just need to decide if I want to focus on enjoying the hike or if I want to make photography the focus. As you said, backpacking and MF don't really go together.

You know I hear 4x5 view cameras are pretty lightweight.

Just sayin'

e. This is actually probably exactly the sort of thing the Travelwide would do great at, assuming you could pack in enough film to make it worthwhile.

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 03:31 on May 20, 2013

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Santa is strapped posted:

What lens did you use on the first one?

He's got the lens info in the tags it looks like.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

VomitOnLino posted:

Hm. I guess the chrome could play part of it, being very reflective and all that; thus creating tiny point light sources close to the lens. Never thought of that.
Another point is that the coatings of these 50ies/60ies lenses are not very sophisticated, so once light hits the lens in an oblige angle, you're pretty much hosed.
I've had this happen; even with the metal hood on.

Altough sometimes I can add a lot to a picture:

(It was not foggy or anything, this light beam is pure flare; interestingly enough I saw it in the viewing lens, too. Hood was on.)

How much do modern coatings help?
Apparently a shitton, imagine a modern zoom, where 17 or more elements are not unheard of, with those coatings... you probably wouldn't even get an image.
Similar with my Pentax 67, even without a hood; most lenses (which are multicoated) cannot be abused into flaring like this.

Stick a cheap enough filter onto one it'll flare up quickly enough.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

copen posted:

For all the crap the USS Arizona RB67 get around here, I would just like to point out that it is really good value for the money. You can get Into an RB67 kit for a lot less than others and lenses are a good price as well. The only penalty you pay is weight. So anybody who is on a budget and is thinking about one, I wouldn’t write it off because it is larger than your mom. I mean if we were to buy cameras by the kilo this is probably the best deal going.

Yeah, but you could get a p67 for about the same price.

p67 supremacy.

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jun 3, 2013

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

rb67 is probably the better studio camera, the p67 is a better throw a blackrapid on it because gently caress paying for lugs and carrying it around camera.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

My grandma made me that blanket, it does in fact own (albiet lacking any ME Supers).

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

guidoanselmi posted:

a few lenses have em. i almost got one for my p645. i dont think theres that much of a markup on em when i checked?

e: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pentax-SMC-Takumar-6x7-90mm-f2-8-Leaf-Shutter-lens-Pentax-6x7-67-MLU-67II-/400488770886 dunno if thats ok for p67 glass? probably a bit more expensive i guess

It's a pretty good price, yeah.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Trambopaline posted:

I keep telling myself that I want to make the jump to medium format, and I've been putting it off for various reasons. I'm a little off buying it but I'm starting to try and get my eye in for what to get. I dont' have too much experience, I've got a Canon 1000D and after playing with some cheapo rangefinders and a olympus Mju-1 I'm starting to think I do like the whole film schtick and want to really go all in on it and get a medium format camera rather than messing around with a bessa or a nice film SLR.

I'm personally thinking that it would be nice to have a medium format camera that has

-Larger Negatives
-A WLF for composing/ground glass focusing
-Possibility to take polaroid backs though this really is pretty optional given the price of Fuji instant film these days.

Which means that I'm thinking about either an Mamiya RB/RZ or a Bronica GS-1. I know TLR's remain an option, and I suppose a c33/330 or even a nice example of a yashia could be a fun way to try things out as well, which leads me to ask is there much of a difference practically between 6x6 and 6x7? I'm kind of leaning towards 6x7 just out of a sheer "go big or go home" mindset because I liked some of the benefits working with 35mm film brings compared to the APS-C sized sensor on my DSLR.

Does that sound reasonable for someone with my background to cut my teeth on larger negatives? Will I regret getting a massive toaster sized cameras? Am I overthinking it?

The p67 has larger negatives, has a WLF if you want it, and you can get a polaroid back for it (you basically pop the normal door off and stick a modified door with the back attached on instead: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NPC-FORSCHER-Polaroid-Back-for-Pentax-6X7-67-/281126497063?pt=US_Film_Backs_Holders&hash=item417471eb27 ).

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3125105&pagenumber=153#post417088872 :)

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Spedman posted:

Nope, because like nearly all MF/LF stuff if you don't like it or don't use it, you should be able to easily sell it for what you paid.

And I'm blown away that deal is available in Australia too.

You say this but noone has bought my p67. :geno:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Spedman posted:

No-one in the Dorkroom, have you tried apug/LFF or anything else (ebay being the last resort)?

Unfortunately most of us have too much MF gear :shobon:

Well, I'm not *that* desperate to sell.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

8th-samurai posted:

Pentax 67 supremacy, what the gently caress is a darkslide you weirdos. :snoop:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

8th-samurai posted:

You can't claim supremacy on a camera you are trying to sell. :colbert:

Yes I can.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

That sounds about right for a red filter.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Now here's a big camera:

P7300286.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

And a field developing kit

P7300287.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

First roll from the yashica-mat. Also figured out my issues with the shanghai gp3, the numbers/dots I had show up on my last roll weren't light leaks, they're just residue from the dye on the paper that comes off if you give it a good prewash, make sure to agitate well during washes, and give it a quick wipe off when you're done.

img009.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

img006.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

shanghai GP3 Test.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

img002.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Krispy Kareem posted:

I used a Yashica D. I've never had a problem with it before, but maybe something's off. Time to retire it in favor of a camera made after I was born I guess.

I scanned them using a v500.

Just don't retire it by throwing it out. That sort of thing is fixable (if it wasn't just off the mark metering)

http://ratfactor.com/yashica-d-tlr-copal-mxv-shutter

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

McMadCow posted:

But it isn't. Dust blocks light and therefore the negative beneath it is clear, which prints as black.
White dust happens on negatives AFTER exposure and blocks the paper/scanner, equalling white.
I mean, I think we're both saying the same thing here, but my point is that if that dust isn't black, why hasn't Saint Fu just cleaned his/her negative or spotted the dust in Photoshop? Why bother telling us? :smug:

Fixed it for you.

But seriously why does anyone tell anyone on a forum. We should only post pictures and let the pictures tell their own tale, whatever that may be.

Because art.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Is this what shooting LF is like guys? Someone please let me know tia.

I can't believe this didn't go in the OP.

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Aug 11, 2013

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

I don't think there have been any companies cutting film completely anytime recently. Mostly it's just been cutting out the excess so that they can focus on making what people actually buy. Hell, there's even that other company that's starting film production back up. I doubt it'll ever completely die.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

sildargod posted:

So I may have done a .. thing.

misc (1 of 1) by sildargod, on Flickr

It was $120 for the lot, have I done myself or anyone else a disservice? It's well worn, but the workings are immaculate.

Seems like a heck of a good price for that.

Elderbean posted:

Yeah, now that I'm looking at prices...

What about the Mamiya offerings? Or the Yashicas?

The yashica-mat I have is a very solid, well built feeling camera. Hard to go wrong with one.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

SMH if you've never stuck medium format glass onto tiny sensors. Start living people!

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Reichstag posted:

I am beyond mad and am simply refusing to believe that exists.

Probably works better than Portra.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

The plate is there to compensate for the different thicknesses of the film (since 120 has a paper backing, 220 doesn't). So all you're pictures are probably slightly out of focus as a result, but it's not a giant difference, so if you aren't shooting wide open you might not notice.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

but how will you buy more film now :ohdear:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

dukeku posted:

Shoot with whatever the hell you want, you can't go wrong.

Unless you buy a canon 35/1.4L.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Sludge Tank posted:

Has anyone seen this?

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=31227.0;attach=8443;image

custom built Hass flexbody + PC-MUTAR + (+50mm distagon)

what's the verdict with you guys? I tend to trust the more grass roots opinion around here, but seemed to cop a bit of praise the other places I'd seen it...

Just curious, looks rather impressive either way...

Can't see poo poo with your image leaching that is being foiled by being behind a password protected forum.

• Locked thread