Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thedoorstopper
Jan 25, 2015

Hi guys, I'm pretty new here. I set up a vintage photo booth at a flea market, you can check out the pictures above! It uses direct positive photo paper that I shoot and develop on the spot.

Also, I have other film photos I have posted on my website. I urge you to check them out.

https://andrewyuen.carbonmade.com/projects/5838519

I really like some of the images in this 4x5 thread. Most actually. But the forum format is a bit of a pain.

thedoorstopper fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jan 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thedoorstopper
Jan 25, 2015
Done, thanks for the thumbnail suggestion!

also sharp eye, I love my btzs hood. I previously used a made in China one. It had this horrific chemical smell of plastic that could never wash off. The hood is great!

thedoorstopper
Jan 25, 2015
Hi,

I`m using Harman Direct Positive Paper. I can't comment about the high contrast thing, I use it only in conjunction with a speedlight. You can sort of see my setup in the photo i`ve posted, I`m using a flash sync cable at f/6.3 @ with a 430 EXii at full power and full zoom at about 0.5m away from the subject. Development wise, I developed in Ilford Paper dev at the recommended times for FB paper. 2 mins plus.

I don't have any experience using it in daylight, I would assume due to its dramatically low ISO it would be a crapshoot if a scene is already contrasty to begin with. Perhaps you could try shooting in diffused lighting. There's a new Galaxy photo paper coming out though, that should be less finicky to use.

Cheers

thedoorstopper
Jan 25, 2015

Yup, agree with the contrasty properties of the Harman Paper. This one I photographed of myself kept it's tonality pretty well though. I`ve never seen the direct positive thing as anything more than a novelty. I use it so that I can develop a print for a stranger on the spot, which is only achievable practically through this process. ( Other than polaroid. )

I do shoot other stuff such as C41 and E6 photos, which are the ones posted below:

thedoorstopper
Jan 25, 2015

Hey alkanphel, really enjoying your flickr 4x5 stuff. We should shoot together sometime! Considering we are from the same country.

slide1 by Andrew Yuen, on Flickr

thedoorstopper fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Mar 5, 2016

thedoorstopper
Jan 25, 2015
If it's not too badly torn you can try bostick and Sullivan's bellows patch kit.

Alternatively you can try eccameraonline2008(sp?) on eBay

thedoorstopper
Jan 25, 2015
Maria K

Maria K (3) by Andrew Yuen, on Flickr

Maria K by Andrew Yuen, on Flickr

Photos were shot on Ektar, because I couldn't find Portra

thedoorstopper
Jan 25, 2015
Ansel:

Been looking at some of Dan Winters 4x5 stuff. Thought I'll keep the clip marks! As for the rebate, that's just me being a bit sloppy.

Btw getting some Stephen Shore vibes from your photos. I went through a period where I really liked his work, then found it meh, but I'm starting to warm to it again and yours are interesting. :) I think Shores work is interesting if you don't live in America, otherwise it seems banal I suppose.

as for the choice, I didn't have Portra on hand. Ektar isn't a bad choice for skin tones, but I must admit I had quite a time attempting to balance the skin tones in post. If anyone has a good solution to matching skin tones amongst a series of pictures, I would love love to hear it!

thedoorstopper
Jan 25, 2015

Shanghai GP 100

thedoorstopper fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jun 22, 2016

thedoorstopper
Jan 25, 2015

ansel autisms posted:

1 hour @ f/22

I really like how the foliage at the foreground blends with the land mass. Pretty cool stuff. What do you use to scan btw?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thedoorstopper
Jan 25, 2015
Sloppy day of shooting. I shot 4 sheets, only 1 turned out. No idea what happened to the rest. Tried developing them all at once.

Also managed to put the dark slide the wrong way back, so now I either have 2 shots of slide film or 1 double exposed slide. lol

Fuji Across

thedoorstopper fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jul 5, 2016

• Locked thread