Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
From what I've done so far, you'll primarily be using block and Death From Above while squeezing in attacks of your own between the boss' to keep your Resolve up. Dodge is handy if you need to reposition yourself quickly(or you really need the iframes and DFA's down), but for the most part you're going to want to keep the target relatively still so the DPS can rip into it's back without having to run around all over the place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008

Question Mark Mound posted:

I hit 45 last night with my Warrior and I'm starting to get a bit bored, although I have been pretty much soloing the whole game so far. Is there much I can do to spice things up a little? I'm a bit worried that any good dungeon groups at my level will expect me to know what I'm doing since I'm not a really low level any more.

Try tanking a few dungeons. It can be a nice change of pace from leveling, and most of the groups I've been in were fairly forgiving of new tanks. Better to learn on the easier stuff than to go in at 60 and have no idea what you're doing.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
Glyph for increased threat on Torrent, halved casting time on Battle Cry, and +Endurance in Defense stance and you should be fine(grab a few +Threat gems off of a specialty vendor, just in case. Probably won't need 'em, but you never know.). Try to block, rather than dodging stuff; you generally want to keep bosses fairly still, though some of them will be jumping all over the place regardless of your efforts. Also, you're better off learning on a dungeon you don't outlevel by too much; I don't recall much of that level range, but if you ask around someone will fill you in on what's easy and what isn't.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
By the time you get to instances that actually need a tank, warriors can tank just fine. They're fine for soloing too, the only difference between a tank warrior and a DPS warrior is a stance switch and a few seconds shuffling glyphs.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008

Harik posted:

I had to give up on my mystic for now - way too painful to level even in the 30s and I don't think anyone in-guild was near my level at the time.

For shits and giggles I rolled a popori as a fat bulldog smoking a pipe. I didn't want to go pure-DPS since I already have a sorcerer, so I went as a warrior. My internet poo poo the bed last night but aside from when it was really bad (30+ seconds of lag followed by returning in black&white) I was still able to get to level 25ish in one go.

I'd probably be mid 30s if I didn't have to back-quest through the tungawi swamp for some levels due to lag making it harder to play. It's amazingly easy-mode.

Do people solo warrior in defensive or aggressive stance? And are the smoke-shadow things worth while?

Mostly in aggressive, though there were a few times where I swapped for defensive to deal with BAMs I didn't know the tells for/too annoying to dodge reliably.

As for the smoke clones, I probably don't use them as much as I should. They're kind of situational, but they're really good at what they do.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
I've asked myself the same thing, but they still manage it.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
The last hit of Rising Fury also has a pretty high KD rate on it. Not enough to regularly topple stuff that isn't specifically vulnerable to KDs, but it is useful in the right situations(it can really come in handy if you're on, say, the last part of the second platform in SG and the rest of your party forgets about the mobs you need to keep down while hammering the BAM; if need arises you can keep them both down by yourself without much issue).

If memory serves, it also comes out faster after a Combative Strike(along with a bunch of other moves), but it's been over half a year since I've played so I have no idea if that's still accurate or not.

May very well be fuzzy memory speaking here, but I think I recall SG boxes coughing up ToT glyphs on occasion. Not all that often, but don't be surprised if it happens. Regardless, you'll probably want as many of those glyphs as possible, they really do help. Well, most of them; nothing's going to save Poison Blade.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
Been a couple days since I've been on, but last I can recall those were still worth a fair amount of gold.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008

brennon posted:

How much should warrior tanking be leaning on dodging (roll, dashes, moving attacks) vs stationary defense (cross parry, death from above, tanking with torrent/flurry etc)? I'm not sure if I'm loving with people by dodging around and turning the enemy sometimes.

It's been a couple of years since I've played my Warrior, but assuming nothing has changed you'll generally want to keep stuff as still as possible. If the need arises, and it probably will, you can use the more mobile stuff, just try to keep the boss facing away from the group.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
Eh, if you're playing a Gunner you'll find that most of your outfits will, in fact, have pants once you get off of starter island. Once you get a fashion coupon you can click on it to look through the armor skins a Gunner will have open to them; most of them will be unavailable, but most of those are the really fanservicey ones so I don't think you'll mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
Unless they overhauled the class significantly since I last played(which has admittedly been a few years), there's just a stance that cranks your crit through the roof, and a stance that does the same for defense and allows you to block; you pick the one suited for your current role and sit in it.

• Locked thread