Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

WanderingKid posted:

Archer/Lancer/Priest or Archer/Lancer/Mystic is super cheese comp. But you need to be +12 Strikeforce everything so its not just a question of doing BGs. You are going to need MES, Alkahest, Fodder and a bit of good luck. Getting the gear is only a small part of prepping your character. Masterworking, Enchanting and Spellbinding/rerolling are the other significant aspects to character building.

You'll get mauled if you try to do 3s in +6 Strikeforce.

I was thinking recently about playing this game again for a bit this weekend, but after reading this I'm not so sure. When I stopped playing I didn't have anyone at the cap because I suffer terribly from alt-itis, so the level cap stuff isn't as big of a concern, but it sounds like once I get there there is a long, long road ahead before I would actually be able to do much of anything, especially if I haven't even really touched crafting. I also logged in just to have a look at the auction house, and there is so much stuff on there that I have no idea what is good or even what reasonable prices are.

I saw the link above for new players, but does that have stuff that would be useful for someone getting back into the game a bit after a long absence?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Another quick question from getting back in after a long absence. I bought the game on release and it came with the gold dragon weapon skins which I think were supposed to be always available, but I don't see them any more in item claim. Did they get removed or just moved somewhere else?

vvvv :doh: I think you're right. I completely forgot there was another tab. Unfortunately I am also at work and cannot check either.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Oct 8, 2013

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Is crafting at all worth doing while leveling, or is it better to just sell the materials on the broker? And on that note, I have no idea what is even going on with pricing on the broker. I listed some lovely level 23 crystals just to see what price is recommended and some of them were worth a couple gold. Has inflation run rampant (which judging by some prices may be the case), are they actually worth that much, or is it just the result of lots of joke listings?

I forgot how much of a pain getting back into an established MMO is.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Oct 14, 2013

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I was farting around on the trading post last night and found that apparently there exists an absolutely enormous witch hat costume item. Is that obtainable in game somewhere or was it a cash shop only thing? I don't actually have any 60s, so buying it off the TP is not in the cards for quite some time.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

If you don't care about pvp berserker is really easy and self-sufficient, has a very uncluttered skill bar, and is probably the most satisfying class to play (though lancer gives it a run for its money now that they have wallop).

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I felt like playing this game again recently, but after I've updated to the latest patch the launcher just closes and restarts whenever I click log in. Anyone know a fix for that?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I tell myself that they're saving a hypothetical punchman class for Amani and the remaining races. But hey, at least gunners aren't restricted to the unmentionable race. Giant magitech cannons are cool though, so I'm pumped.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Apr 23, 2015

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Character slots and some other things are on sale today if you need to make room for that gunner you're going to make.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The gunner might actually be more fun than the lancer. I didn't think it was possible, but it might be.

Here is the official fun class tier list:

Lancer/gunner
Berserker/priest
Everyone else, who gives a poo poo
Doing taxes
Mystic

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I can't say enough how impressed I am with the gunner (along with the improvements they're still making to the game overall). They added basically every cool gun type as a skill. The shotgun and shock combo are satisfying, grenade and time bomb are both useful, you have a charge buster, a really meaty chain gun, and even the basic attack feels good to use. Only thing missing is a charge up death laser, but from perusing the skill list it looks like I just haven't gotten to it yet. Can't speak for pvp balance, but I've read they have a really low base crit rate and their mobility deels lower middle of the pack.

The gunner specific armor skins also look cool and are surprisingly conservative for this game.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Yeeeeeeeeeessssss. That's what I need. Megabusters are the key to my heart. If only they had a Megaman costume, or a way to make a reasonable facsimile.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I have gotten dangerously used to this super high exp rate (and also gunners being overpowered as hell in pve). I am going to be very sad when it disappears.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Pierson posted:

Not that tanking is really needed at the minute, it's kind of ridiculous. My gunner just hit 20 and got her first relic weapon. I immediately enchanted it to +9 and now she's killing the BAMs so fast I may just grind them to level.

That's basically what I've been doing on mine up to level 53 so far (elite also helps a lot. At the min level for a given relic weapon you can often down a BAM in less than a minute and with basically no danger. It's absurd compared to what it was like just last patch on my lancer or berserker.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Cathair posted:

Slayers seem pretty cool to me. How do they stack up in the 'soloing things you probably shouldn't be able to' category?

Also, what makes Lancers fun? On paper, playing a slow tank class in solo/small group PvE seems like a terrible experience, but apparently plenty of people hold this class in high regard.

Slayers don't really have any major form of mid-battle healing, so you're really relying on dodging if you want to solo things you shouldn't be able to.

Lancers own because they have shields the size of car doors and every skill they have has a satisfying impact, particularly wallop which lives up to its name. Leash is also a really good and unique skill. You get basically instant dungeon queues as one, and they're competent, if not terribly fast, at soloing things. Their skills also flow well together without feeling like rigidly forced combos. Mostly it's just having a cool weapon set, though. Heavy armor also looks really good in this game, such that it feels like the armor designers spent most of their time on it.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I should clarify regarding slayers that they're not entirely without healing, as you can glyph overhand strike to heal for a pittance on every hit, which adds up considering how often they use it, but it's never going to do more than reduce down time or shrug off incidental damage.

I could never really get into playing a slayer but really like berserker, and I kinda suspect that most people will like one and dislike the other, since they're probably the most similar classes after priest/mystic. They both rely on a central rng gimmick (overhand strike resets for slayer, mammoth crits for berserker) that feels great when you get it and lovely when you don't, they have a lot of functionally similar attacks, and you'll feel constantly mana starved because they build their mana rather than having regular regen. The differences are slayers' damage is more sustained instead of single huge hits, and their mobility and evasion is much greater at the expense of direct defense and ability to heal. Try both and see which one clicks better for you.

Of course you're crazy if you play anything but gunner right now.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Mimsy posted:

So is there a way to level a priest without wanting to shoot myself due to the horrible, grueling nature of quest grinding as a healer?

Dungeons or find a buddy, basically. They're not too bad at BAM soloing either, and I actually find it kind of exciting to do on them since they're squishy and their best damage skills are close range. More fun than mystic at any rate.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Probably a bad idea to try to grind BAMs for the next couple days. Everyone is eating them up in every channel of every zone to get those jade dragon letters.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Pierson posted:

In the progress screen (H) what exactly is it that's ticking up my Weekly Bonus? At first I thought it was just doing quests listed in it but that sometimes seems to not add things.

I really want that alkahest. :v:

The weekly bonus is increased by doing the requests that have the little gold badges. You can only do a set number per day and I think not all of them have the badge. Not too hard to clear the set number per day, though.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

theultimo posted:

Does an A actually exist?

I've gotten 3 of the dragons so far and I haven't even been grinding hard at all. Probably just lucky, but I did the nagas on Serpentis Isle and the sand lizards (the ones that burrow and have big flower tails when idle).

Flesh Forge posted:

Mainly I'm thinking about additional character slots, but I'm enjoying this enough that there is a chance I might put money in for that purpose I guess. Castanic Gunner is really making me grin and laugh out loud, the first time I triggered Burst Fire I about wet my pants. For the other slot I made an Aman Mystic so I can have gigantic ponytail which is a big deal for me :iamafag:

e: Seriously it's like the designers of Neverwinter looked at Tera and said "Okay these features are pretty great but they're way too fun, let's remove about 50% of the fun and start from there."

e:Oh dear look at that a free character slot. Thanks game!

Unfortunately every other class except maybe reaper is a major step down in power from gunner. The power creep is real.

Also the biggest disappointment of the Amani, cool as they are, is that female Amani have nowhere near the variety of skin colors male Amani do, for no good reason.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Pierson posted:

Current events: Has anyone bothered to get the TERA letters yet for the mount? How long did it take you?

It's ultimately luck based, but I haven't found it that bad. I really haven't played much at all, though mostly BAM grinding for the 56-60 stretch, and got enough for 3 dragons and am a couple Es short of a few more. Feels like it'd average to maybe 2-3 hours for one dragon, though of course that could vary wildly.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Pierson posted:

If you have a spare dragon I'd take it off your hands for gold/some of the old vanity items I have. Grinding over-farmed mobs isn't really my thing.

No completed dragons left unfortunately, since I gobbled them up on alts.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I love that this game doesn't take itself seriously at all, and it still surprises me that what is by all appearances just a titty elf MMO is probably the best one on the market in basically every respect.

Well, I shouldn't say that it doesn't take itself seriously, since they did at least try to write a storyline and make a relatively coherent atmosphere, but it has no qualms about just throwing in tiny cars for no reason, while still avoiding dumb LOOK AT HOW WACKY WE ARE poo poo like Wildstar.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 06:11 on May 21, 2015

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Pierson posted:

Well how much fun it is is always gonna be decided by what kind of playstyle you like. Even though I'm having a blast with gunner, my lancer is still my main. What gunner does have right now is novelty, fantastic abilities that are fun to use and combo, and what seems like* a huge power boost over other DPS classes.

*I did ask earlier but it got lost in the thread: IS gunner really as powerful as it seems, or is it just confirmation bias? Has anyone run the numbers on it?

At lower levels they absolutely are, I think, but it does seem to taper off a bit at higher levels.

Also I was farting around doing some BAM grinding since they added a couple more costumes and all the gun skins to the fashion coupons, and I got the stuff for another dragon mount. Post your character name and I'll send you one after I get home from work.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Pierson posted:

I'm Pierson in-game as well, thanks a ton man. I'll see if I have anything to throw back atcha.

Nah don't worry about it. I'm farming anyway for pretty princess coupons, and I don't really expect that it's worth trying to sell them on the TP since everyone is farming them.

If other people want dragons I'll hang onto any I get, but of course random drops and all that, so no promises.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

WarLocke posted:

This stupid game is downloading on Steam. I hate you people.

Is there a breakdown of how different classes play and what race to be to not have boob window armor or whatever?

If you want to play this game you'll have to resign yourself to boob windows and thongs because it's boob windows and thongs as far as the eye can see since like 90% of the player characters you'll see are female. The boob windows are at least generally pretty creatively designed though, rather than just pulling a Power Girl or the like. That being said, they recently added a couple new outfits that are pretty much completely covered up or look pretty close to functional medieval armor, and most gunner specific armor skins are practically nuns' habits relative to the rest of the game. Those things are just not really something you're going to have access to as a new player.

Also yeah, pick Amani, they're cool. Just don't be the bad race.

Edit: There's a decent armor gallery you can find if you want to base your decision on that. I don't have a link because phone posting, but just search for tera fashion coupons or something like that.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 01:21 on May 22, 2015

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The only thing I do in this game is fight big monsters for fun, levels, and fashion. I don't even bother with dungeons, though I should on priest/mystic.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

They really should've given mystic one more attack or dot of some sort. They're just so boring because when soloing you basically just plop down damage thrall, toss dots, maybe occasionally throw in your two attacks, and be completely safe. Compare that to priest where you're chaining attacks at close range like crazy and it's just sleep inducing. Something like heart strike or another slow heavy hitter you need to find a good window for would be more engaging.

Also Pierson, you get that thing I sent you?

chumbler fucked around with this message at 08:08 on May 23, 2015

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

WarLocke posted:

Are there any class(es) that are, for lack of a better term, 'simpler' to play/learn the game with for a total newbie?

I do tend to prefer caster types, it seems like Mystics have pets and aura/buff stuff while Priests are straight-up 'beat guys down with staff and heal dudes'?

Honestly if you're going with pve, gunner is probably the simplest class. They don't really have any skill bloat, they have good defense and sustainability plus range, their skills are all easy to use, they're super powerful through most of leveling, and they're pretty hard to mess up. Every other class has some major drawback to work around that makes it hard to call them really simple. Lancers are really reliant on skill chains and need to manage their blocking while having somewhat limited mobility. Berserkers are straightforward hit mans really hard with axe and have a block, but they have the worst mobility at least among the offensive classes and you have to get used to managing charging mechanics and overcharge health costs. Archers similarly have to manage charge and overcharge, do their highest damage in close to mid range, and have no ability to heal. Slayers and warriors lack healing (outside of one glyph) and their defenses are all basically stuns and rolls, and they have somewhat long skill animations. Sorcerors have long cast times on their heavy hitters, no healing, and are super squishy. Priests do all their damage at point blank range and are squishy (but obviously have great self healing), and mystics are just kind of boring.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Innerguard posted:

So a friend and I are going to get into this. They're probably going to be a Lancer and I'm torn between Priest and Mystic. I know I've read that the Mystic is slow as balls to level but I'll be in a duo almost all the time.

I'm really unsure which is going to be more suited to me. Buffs from the Mystic sound nice, but is the Priest better at healing / making things dead?

Priests slam things with their staff like they're mini-berserkers, jump around with explosions, and make lightning explosions from their hands. Mystics plop down a little guy on a pedestal who does all the work and then just walk around dropping balls. Pick priest.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

widespread posted:

As I learned, this is very good. All I had to deal with on Steam was just the hefty download time. With Gameforge's installer, I kept getting RETRIEVING MANIFEST for whatever reason.

Now to wonder where to buy crafting recipes.

Go to the vendor who sells the appropriate designs, who is right near the crafting station. Note that you basically only get new designs every 5 levels and crafting honestly isn't really worth it if you're new. You're way, way, way better off just selling the materials you harvest on the trading post.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Lakedaimon posted:

So I started playing this for the first time last night and I was completely overwhelmed. Got to level 8 as a Slayer on Mount Tryanus.

Not sure how I feel about the class. Do you always start with 0 mp and it decays super quickly? It seemed like I started to regen mp right before I logged out, but that might have been because I was in town or buffed or something.

Slayers (and berserkers) start at 0 mana and build it by using their basic combo attack or skills that generate a small amount. That mana pretty quickly decays once tou leave combat. What you saw with your mana regenning when you logged off was a quirk of how mana regen crystals interact with slayer/berserker mana mechanics. If you're out of combat and out of mana, the mana regen from the crystals will work and you'll retain whatever mana they regened until you enter combat again. It's a nice bonus, but you're usually better off with just a damage crystal instead.

Also slayers don't really get into a good flow until you get overhand strike and its reset glyph.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

brennon posted:

What is the best way to farm fashion coupons now? Is it just grinding BAMs?

Yeah basically go somewhere with level 58+ BAMs, preferably on the old continent since you can basically one shot them with 60+ gear. The giants in Lorcada are generally okay if there is only one other person in the channel farming them.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The most disappointing thing about Amani is that male ones can be any color of the rainbow but female ones are restricted to basically slightly bluer regular human skin tones. Also they don't get pimp coats like male Amani do.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Tera takes pride in what it is, and we should respect it for that.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

After level 20 you can also level exclusively by fighting what are more or less boss monsters, which is a bit more engaging than the quests or just gathering up mobs and aoeing them down.

PS Don't make a mystic as your first character. Every other class is interesting to play even solo, albeit at varying speeds, but mystics are just a chore.

Also I think today is your last chance to buy bikinis for your ladies/speedos for your dudes outside of trading post prices you won't be able to afford, so better act fast!

chumbler fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jun 23, 2015

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Hell yeah punchmans class. Going by the current trend I guess they'll be human and amani exclusive (probably just human, let's be honest).

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

If you want to play a healer I would definitely go with priest over mystic. Not that it's necessarily stronger or anything, but priest is much more engaging to actually play than mystic is, both when in a group and when soloing.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Flesh Forge posted:

Since it's more overtly anime in looks I'm sure it's going to pull a lot of people, yeah. Plus it's new and shiny
literally, the characters are shiny and greasy :gonk:

I take it you won't be playing the Turkish oil wrestling mmo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Thumbtacks posted:

Race locking I can understand, but gender locking seems...weird. Why can't I punch things as a giant rock monster?

Fewer new armor models and animations to make.

• Locked thread