Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Velveteen posted:

I hate all pubbies and I hope they all quit. Who are these people who have never ran CoF before and refuse to admit or tell anyone and then wipe the group.

I can relate to the frustration and I am the type who always makes it clear in chat when I am not familiar with an instance/encounter/role that I perform, but it is also worth pointing out that a lot of pubbies have been trained to stay silent. Announcing that you are new to an instance even with the intention of being open to learning how to do it can get you kicked. This sort of thing is not exclusive to TERA but present within most MMOs. I guess what I am saying is that the core problem is the community of people who don't want to play with others that are going through their learning curve phase.

While I always speak up anyways, I would be a liar if I didn't also say that sometimes I hold my breath because I do get kicked sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Yeah, I understand. Everything you said makes sense especially from a player like you who treats these situations reasonably. Unfortunately, too many other players are not reasonable and in the minds of many pubbies they would rather take their chances than risk getting kicked immediately. They want to play and they are scared to speak up. This is almost entirely the fault of those in the community which treat these people like crap just for being inexperienced with a piece of content.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

I like side saddle in this game. However, in actual practice, the horse never gallops because you can't really go fast in side saddle. In fact, it was very common for the horse to be walked by someone else while the woman was riding. So it technically makes no sense in TERA, but I don't really care. It is fantasy, it's different, and I appreciate little things like that which distinguish sex in MMOs.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Mordaedil posted:

Always at least bring everything through the broker once. Sometimes you can even put up white items worth a decent gold or a green item that you could vendor for a few silver selling for roughly 50 gold on the broker.

Crystals that drop are always better than what you can find in stores too. If you can solo some BAMs, the often drop them, I've found.

I cannot stress this enough especially for new players who don't have a high level character as a sugar momma. Most things (including low level whites) are worth a lot more on the broker. Also, be aware that leather extraction at a low level has a high success rate to get you at least 1 Zalisleather (or whatever it is called). These go for something like 93s-1g each on the broker so you will often want to break down as much of those whites and greens for leather as you can.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Lyer posted:

Do slayers play a lot like berzerkers? I have a zerker alt at around 46ish, but I'm finding that playstyle to be kind of dull. My main is a warrior and it's loving great, so I'm used to the hectic style. I want to give the slayer a chance, but if it's like a berzerker lite, I'll pass.

Slayer is a lot more mobile and feels fast paced especially once you get Overhand Strike (level 16 I think?). Before that it feels slower than it is meant to be but still more mobile than the zerker. No melee class is as twitchy as the Warrior though.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

ShadowMar posted:

I just started playing this and the combat is surprisingly good for an MMO. Is there anything important I should know about the game that isn't in the OP?

There is nothing important that you really "need" to know until you get close to hitting the level cap imo. If you do want to educate yourself a bit anyways though, read a tutorial about how enchanting works. Even at low levels, it is something worth doing to a point (I usually stop at +6), but the enchanting system is not very intuitive through in game instruction alone. It is much better to use a guide and experiment in order to learn.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Gonna play this again soon with a new character. I read a little about the new stuff that the expansion is offering high level characters but what changes have been implemented for characters at all levels? I last stopped playing about a month after Reapers were released just to provide a point of reference.

Edit: I found the patch notes, but if there is more than the notes suggest then I welcome the information. Thanks.

Xavier434 fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jan 26, 2015

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Thanks for the code!

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

karn1635 posted:

So I just unsubbed from WoW putting the final nail in the coffin in that game. Was floating around here looking to pick up something more fun and less "commitment" oriented.

The combat system for this game looks fantastic and I was wondering if I should bother creating an account to try it out or just incinerate the $18 to get a hardcopy for founders status to skip the queues.

Anyone have a stream they do so I can see what's up at max level?

Try it before you buy it. You can always upgrade to founder's status later. The combat in this game is one of the best of any MMO out there. Coming from WoW, you are all but guaranteed to be in for a treat provided that you enjoy action combat in general. As far as commitment goes, it depends on what you mean by that. It is definitely something a lot less than a WoW raid schedule so if that is all that you mean then you should be fine. The game is still all about the gear treadmill though, but if you are okay with that then it's all good. If you are not okay with that then maybe give something like Guild Wars 2 a shot.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

quaunaut posted:

So there's no secret to leveling other than use your boosts and keep at it? Hoo boy. I just spent 4 hours getting a level and a half at level 40(to 42), this'll be fun.

Boosts, dungeons, and killing BAMs are typically recommended for faster leveling. Picking up all of the quests for a dungeon before your first run is also a good move. It is pretty standard themepark MMO stuff in that regard. I don't recall going from 40-42 taking me 4 hours though.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Zweihander01 posted:

Gave this a shot because it seemed neat. Warrior is kinda fun, seems like it's mostly just dodging around mobs while slashing them up, or activating a skill to let me eat attacks with my face. Only got to like level 8 so I don't exactly know how they tank though, is it just dodge-tanking?

You get a block too.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

KFJ posted:

Hey folks! I was wondering, I'm downloading the game as we speak, and BAMs got me thinking. How similar to playing, say, Monster Hunter is killing a BAM? I'm good at MH, will that experience translate over at all?

Also, I may be able to get a boxed copy super cheap, although I'm in Iceland. Will the code from that work for US servers or EU only?

Yes, MH experience will help.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

WarLocke posted:

Your posts are making me want to try this terrible game. :negative:

This game may get a lot of crap but it is actually really fun if you can look past the T&A and the Elin race. Play it!

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Tip for early gold:

Sell scarabs. You get them from gathering nodes sometimes. Or at least this used to net me money. Not sure if the prices on those tanked or not.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Mr. Neutron posted:

What am I missing about the jewelry and armor (ambit) that drops from instances compared to the gear I got from the story line? Because the stuff I have is like 30 item levels higher. Sure, not enchantable but even enchanting the ambit armor only brings it on par with what I already seem to have?

Enchanting weapons/armor raises the base stats of your gear significantly. It is almost always better to go this route in my experience but if you did the math and the numbers do not pan out then that is that. The numbers don't lie.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

PsychicToaster posted:

So I plan to roll a Sorcerer because I'm a robe wearing jerk in every RPG ever. Is DGKK or No Fun Allowed more active for a newbie to join up with?

e:Or Berserker because holy poo poo that looks fun.

Just know ahead of time that dodging/blocking is key in this game and that the Sorceror's dodge is a leap backwards. It can feel a bit awkward to get used to at first but it is definitely a fun class. I am just bringing this up because if the backwards leap is not appealing to your play style then try another class whose dodge roll is more controllable or relies on blocking like Berzerker.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Monomythian posted:

:words:

TERA's questing blows

The silver lining is that other than the main quest lines (red exclamation points), a ton of quests can be completely ignored in favor of killing BAMs and running dungeons solo while still getting a lot of exp. I put up with the questing in TERA because the completionist in me is pretty bad, but I do like that I can either ignore an area that I don't like or just take a break to get my exp in other ways. That plus the boring quests are just good excuse to engage in the awesome combat more which makes up for it imo. So many other MMOs force you into a position where you either do their quests to level up or gtfo.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Gearhead posted:

The removal of Blast From The Past was terrible. It makes several things, such as farming up fashion coupons, a pain in the rear end. It has also done no favors at all for levelling queues.

All joking and snide remarks aside, can someone tell me why this feature was removed from the point of view of the developers? It just strikes me as a very unusual choice. When games add a feature like this it is normally received very well and never goes away.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Have they stated that they are trying to fix it the problems though? I can understand turning off a feature temporarily because it went horribly wrong mechanically, but to just throw out a great idea like that entirely is loving stupid.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Skwee posted:

So what is the point of this stamina system? I see literally no point to it. Maybe to force you to take a break in real life or something?

It is mostly what others already posted, but in addition it also acts as one of the game's money sinks.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

strong bird posted:

How is healing in this game? I usually play healers but it seems like DPS might be more fun for a first class.

It is not traditional healing since the game involves a pretty robust action combat system and everyone is expected to dodge and position a lot. With that said, I do recommend DPS as your first time experience even if you only get through a handful of dungeons before deciding to roll a healing class. Don't feel too pressured to go DPS first if you really love healing but that is my 2 cents.

Xavier434 fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Aug 10, 2015

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Cardboard Box posted:

but for how much because i'm still a poor child

edit: oh i just looked and thats wayyy beyond me haha i only have like 60 gold right now

You would be surprised how much certain things sell for that you will come across even at earlier levels. Always check. My highest level character is in the lower 40s and I have almost 7000 gold now which I accumulated without doing any farming.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Cardboard Box posted:

hmm, okay. i'm at level 33 right now and i've saved a ton of stuff. when you say sell i assume you mean the trade broker? is crafting necessary at all or should i just sell my materials if i have no interest?

I am the wrong person to ask about crafting's relevance since I have no characters that are level capped and I have not dabbed into it much. However, I do know that nearly all of the mats that I have acquired thus far could be reacquired rather easily if I just dedicate my time to gather them. In other words, you are likely safe selling just about anything that you have come across. Also, yes I meant the trade broker.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Polegrinder posted:

Yeah I watched a bunch of videos on Warrior gameplay and they fit the theme I was looking for but seem a bit too complicated. I ended up making a Brawler because they are fun as hell and it's so great to just punch poo poo in the face and knock them all around.

Not gonna lie, I did make a Reaper to try out the class. Their gameplay is really fun and the animations are great, but I just can't play an Elin.

Warrior was my first class in this game. I did not find them to be all that hard at least in PvE. I did not try PvP with that class.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Polegrinder posted:

Do you not need to keep switching stances and stuff? They look like fun, but it just seemed like a lot of work to maximize DPS.

Now? I don't know. I have not followed Warrior guides and balance changes since I first played the class which was a very long time ago. I did play a Warrior again about 6 months ago but I did not hit level cap and I didn't read anything about it. I was not stance dancing during either of those times, but you should verify if that prospect troubles you. Or you can do what I do which is to not give a crap because the class is a lot of fun especially if you enjoy melee with short animation times and a lot of movement.

Edit: Here is something much more recent and looks to be highly comprehensive if maxing DPS is a concern for you. I skimmed through the rotation section and I did not catch anything that sounds like stance dancing to me. The rotation itself sounds like something very similar to what I was doing during my recent Warrior game play without needing to look up a guide and I suck at video games so how hard could it really be?

http://teratoday.com/content/tera-guide/tera-class-guide/warrior-min-max-guide-bernkastel

Xavier434 fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jan 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Polegrinder posted:

Yeah I made a Warrior last night and they are like WoW Warriors where you pick a stance and stay in it. So I guess I misunderstood the stance aspect of the DPS rotation. So far at level 12 he's not very fun though :(

The class and rotations change a lot as you level. If you look at the guide I supplied you with and compare that to a list of skills that you will be unlocking including at what level you will see what I mean. Also, check out some YouTube vids of mid and high level Warrior BAM solo game play. That will give you a solid glimpse into the future and should help you decide whether or not you want to continue leveling the class.

• Locked thread