Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Captain_Indigo posted:

I know it has been touched upon in this thread, but can anyone explain the idea about Druids having to kill off another druid at a certain level in 2E? I might be misremembering the details, but once you got to a certain point, or if you wanted to use a certain spell or something, weren't druids forced to undertake a druid fight club and kill one of their superiors off in order to make room for them in Fantasy Elf Forest Circle, or something? Does anyone know what the origins of this were in fiction, or if it was a purely D&D thing?

I don't know about the origins but yeah, at certain levels there were a set number of druids total at that level. So in order to level up the guy above had to either die or level up himself.

There are 9 druids per 'region' at 12, 3 at 13th, 1 at 14th, one in the ENTIRE WORLD at 15th. Then at 16th is gets weird.

Also yes, it specifically mentions that one way to advance in these levels is to take out the other dude, fight club style.

Kwyndig fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Mar 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Well, you become a Hierophant and have to start earning XP from scratch, oh also you don't get more spells, ever which means you're tapped at one 7th level spell (despite for some reason having the ability to cast 6 spells a level or something odd like that the previous level).

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Penguingo posted:

What about high-velocity bullets? I'm curious as to where the definition of "object" starts.

If they're shot out of a gun they use the normal firearms combat rules.

If they're not....

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

By a particularly Murphyized version of RAW, yes.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Well if wearing a helmet blocked psionic attack them I know of characters who would have never taken their helmets off, ever. So I'm guessing it was supposed to be some kind of misguided balance thing? Still goofy though.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Nihnoz posted:

Rangers are better off with a two-handed weapon tho.

It's Pathfinder, Rangers are better off rerolling Cleric, or Druid if they still want the nature stuff.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

It takes a standard action to breathe manually in D&D 3.x?

Also, a fun tidbit about breathing, it's not actually possible for a human being to release all of their air in their lungs through the breathing action (and to do so would cause some serious damage to lung tissue) so apparently in 3.x humanoids have no reserve volume in their lungs.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

unseenlibrarian posted:

None at all- Throwing is assumed to be a single action in a combat round. So, uh, not only can he throw it improbably far, it flies at around 360 miles per hour!

Another thing to remember is that since Batarangs are throwing weapons, they get to add your Strength score to damage in M&M3e, since Batman has a Strength of 4, and boomerangs have a Damage of 1 (although in DC Adventures Batman uses custom batarangs that do Damage 2 instead), that means he throws a boomerang with a Damage of 5.

You know what else has a Damage of 5 in M&M 3e? A sniper rifle. No wonder Batman doesn't use guns, they do just as much damage as his batarangs, and you have to buy ammo for them!

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

So what you're telling me is that you can basically constantly be taking a long rest, as long s you never make any activity longer than 59 minutes.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Bieeardo posted:

This reminds me of the DM who decided to arm NPC thieves with 'potion injector' daggers that would force rolls on the old Potion Miscibility table when they managed to nick you.

One of the effects they were loaded with (there were six, as I recall, and you'd roll twice on a successful hit) was sweetwater, which he declared would instantly kill a victim by transmuting their blood into fresh water.

...yeah, he was really kind of an asshat, in retrospect.

That wouldn't kill you instantly. Quickly, yes, but not instantly, your blood's mostly water anyway, instead you would suffocate to death, which brings back the horrible drowning rules...

Also wasn't one of the Potion table results 'potion effects permanent'? I always wondered how the hell that was supposed to work for something like a potion of healing.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I've always wanted to write a story or run a game where all the characters know the rules of the 'game' but don't otherwise break the fourth wall.

Also what MJ12 left off is that if we really wanted to we could get that power for half of that if we were willing to become a mutated monstrosity.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

The real issue is that yes, finding a gun that fits in your pocket, is not made of iron, and costs less than 100 U.S. dollars (which assumes US gun pricing) is basically impossible unless we're talking about one shot wonders like zip guns.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Daeren posted:

Again, you either cheat (because cheating with loopholes is very Changeling), you lash a chunk of iron ore to a shovel handle, or you pray for meteoric iron like you're in a fantasy novel.

Well, I think I know why Planetary Resources is pushing so hard for asteroid mining then :tinfoil:

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Paper Kaiju posted:

I am now reminded of the one game of C:tL I was in, that ended when we took a chunk of cold iron, attached it to the front bumper of a car, and drove it right into a Fae antagonist.

GM quit after that one.

Just another day in the Dresden Files RPG though.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Bacon In A Wok posted:

On the subject of economics chat, spellcasting with x value of gemstones has nothing on Dragonlance swordsmithing. See, the original Dragonlance adventure modules emphasized their post-apocalyptic status by declaring that all gold coin was now worthless and people used coins made from steel instead. Something that cost 100 gold coins in Greyhawk or Forgotten Realms cost 100 steel coins in Dragonlance, and if you ever found a mountain of gold in some lair or old ruin it probably wasn't worth trying to haul it home.

The average broad sword has the same weight as 75 coins, and sells for 10 steel.

Either the Dragonlance world has an incredibly powerful unified fiat currency system (despite the fact that its largest nation is about the size of Belgium and continent-spanning total wars between Pure Good and Absolute Evil kick off roughly twice a generation) or weaponsmiths are always selling their products at a 75%-90% loss just on the raw materials.

Yeah at least Dark Sun got around that by having common weapons not made of money.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah the problem with Prestige Classes has always been they varied in power from 'poo poo you shouldn't take' to 'break the game' and as usual with 3.X/PF design philosophy, there are trap options, of which Mystic Theurge is one. Looks cool on paper, doesn't work out well in play.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Moriatti posted:

I once had a guy tell me that a two handed war hammer was stupid and shouldn't be usable because "try swinging a sledge hammer around and see how fast it is."

He didn't really have a response when I reminded him how much a STR 24 raging barbarian could bench.

He's never seen a hammer throw competition then either. or a Caber toss.

Alternatively he could watch some sledge hammer workout videos, I could see people using those in combat.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Mors Rattus posted:

Games Workshop has declared their hatred of competitive wargaming and their desire that their games should be used for the joy of creating story a few times in the past.

Which makes no sense as their own storylines go nowhere in the interest of continuing a stable competitive play environment.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Then the real question is, does it explode here, or where it came from :v:

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

aerion111 posted:

That doesn't look like someone wrote it confusingly, it looks like they straight out made a grammatical mistake that changes the meaning.
I see what the intent was too, but I can't get it to make grammatical sense that way; The only way I can seem to read it, is the unintended way.
It very clearly says it applies to every unit, and the 'within D6' part very clearly only apply to what units add to damage - no confusing commas, no vague wording, and so on.

Yeah that's why editors are important kiddos.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

gradenko_2000 posted:

Isn't there a limit to how many skeletons you can control via Animate Dead, though?

Yes which is why skeleton computers would be the property of computational necromancer guilds.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

It's not combat, the skeletons could Take 10, reducing your failure rate to zero. Now, if some rear end in a top hat adventurers come by and start knocking skelbits out of your array you'd start seeing failure cascades.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Well now I'm just picturing a bunch of hyperintelligent babies riding an army of awakened cats into battle and my brain is just going :3:

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Mostly people miss Alternity for the settings.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

OSHAPunk seems like it would need to use a system where you can roll up new characters quickly. Minor violations are survivable, but the situation you just described is potential permanent blinding of the poor bastard who failed his save :gonk:

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Ace Attorney isn't mundane, at least the one I played was all murder trials.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

There's probably a charm that lets you do that, but honestly anything short of a giant warstrider robot should be a single action to put on for an Exalt.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Splicer posted:

Let me tell you about BitCoins.
Also the well had pretty much run dry, the last iteration was just "Some guy said 4E is bad for dumb reasons! What a dummy!" "A dummy indeed!" "Someone said 5E is good for dumb reasons!" "Ohoho, a dummy squared!" for pages and pages.
See also

I think you mean

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTPMwqtDHw0

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Dareon posted:

I worry what happens to a campaign world when the adventurers find out they're not getting paid.

If it's anything like the players I've dealt with in the past, they'll proceed to grind the jeweled thrones of the world to dust beneath their +5 boots.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

The whole Brute thing reminds me of the time I let one of my players take the Frenzied Berserker PrC. The difference is that unless your party had a decent wizard, those could actually get a very respectable PC kill count before you put them down. At one point, the FB actually chased another PC out a window, failed a climb check, fell six stories, and then cut our unsuspecting cleric in half. That was not a good day at the table.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Man, the walking farm is a great idea, it's too bad most setting writers don't include cool fantastical details like that.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

unseenlibrarian posted:

I seem to remember another 'effectively infinite chickens' application comes from the 3.x rules on city design and wealth limits, where every large city has a arbitrarily large amount of chickens available for sale, presumably all supplied by that one commoner.

A city of 60,000 people will have anything under 100,000 GP available (Chickens are 2 CP and thus pretty much always available. ) And you can make total purchases worth 3,000,000 GP at a time.

The city of 60,000 people thus has around 150 million chickens at any one time, or 25 chickens per person.

No wonder fantasy cities never have enough farms supporting them, they can barely move for all the walking food.

On average, for free range chickens, you want no more than 500 per acre, or about 300,000 acres in this instance. This is a little more than half the final size of the American Prairie Reserve... clearly these chickens are not being kept outdoors.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

gradenko_2000 posted:

What happens when you take a Spell Component Pouch, open it, turn it upside down, and start shaking vigorously?

Nothing, you have to open it with the intent of grabbing the spell components you need.. Unless you're trying to get a brazier, then I guess one falls out.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Nyaa posted:

I would pay my starting gold to instantly get my fighter to lv 8 by becoming a chicken slaughter factory.

Edit: i was thinking Great Cleave

Well, this raises a question, how many levels can you get slaughtering each different kind of livestock?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Nyaa posted:

Or is there a way to train/level up these chicken so we can get to a higher level?

I'm sure if you dug into enough third party supplements somebody put in a feat that lets you train domesticated animals in class levels.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

NachtSieger posted:

a) Temp HP explosions only happen on the Positive Energy Plane.
b) The undead cannot explode from PEPTHP.
c) Ignoring both of the above, you'd probably get the exp if you killed something by shoving it in the PEP and letting it explode there (if it could).

Actually since it's undead wouldn't the exposure to that much Positive Energy cause it to die like being turned anyway.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Dareon posted:

They probably have a crossbow that's been on their character sheet from level 1.

Well now I'm just imagining how to work a Chekov's crossbow into a game.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Elfface posted:

I remember in 3.0 forgotten realms, a sanctified wizard duel was just something wizards could do. Like, Mystra was sick of wizards blowing each other up to prove who was stronger, so she just said 'Rit, just call each other out like this, and your spells will do subdual damage... And do half damage, because let's face it with d4 hit dice this fight is going to go to whoever wins initiative and casts lightning bolt first."

And it wasn't a spell, it was just this bit of lore, and it made you think that maybe if a paladin yelled at a necromancer hard enough, their respective gods would keep the fight one-on-one while placing bets.

Also also so many of 3rd editions problems could be solved by writing the imtention of the spell rather than every exact mechanic, because that always excludes edge cases. Can't interfere with the duel, but want to fireball everything else? What if you accidentally trigger a trap in the arena?

In the Realms? I can believe it.

For the final point, that was the whole problem with Third Edition.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I'm sure it's more for the wizards who are low-level enough that a single lightning bolt can actually kill them that old Mystie is concerned about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

homeless poster posted:

that is something that you don't get now-a-days, rules that someone at the table heard from a friend of a friend of a friend's brother who read a book that no one presently owned but everyone just accepted that's how the game worked. every gaming group had their own weird little ecosystem of house rules grown from an urban legend-style amalgamation of things that were only half remembered like some kind of fever dream.

uh no gary of course males of any race get +1 STR and CON and females get +1 WIS and CHA that's just in the rules why are you being weird about this

At least that's better than the actual rules when differences came up like that (usually females get penalties and no bonuses).