Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

But Canon does have an EF-S 18-200. :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

ExecuDork posted:

Show me an American camera company.
RED (if we're including cinema cameras), who I just noticed is headquartered up the street from me. I need to get a job there!

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Bigger number.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Go buy the 5D and 50/1.8 in the gear trade thread for like $350 and start learning.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Yeah probably in the mirrorless thread. Plenty of us in there have ditched modern Canon and Nikon DSLR bodies for mirrorless setups.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Sounds about right. I tend to agree with this guy:

http://theonlinephotographer.typepa...ing-advice.html

quote:

I used to take requests for advice super-seriously. I'd question the friend about their needs, analyze the factors that pertained, apply my deep knowledge of the options available on the market, and tell them what, in my considered judgement, they should purchase.

...Which advice they would promptly completely ignore. Later, when I saw them again, I'd be told with a little laugh that they liked my choice and appreciated my advice, but, well, they went to Best Buy and the kid behind the counter thought that the Amygdala IQ87 was the best bargain, and they liked the look of it, so they bought that instead.

But, thanks anyway.

Eventually what I realized was that no one ever took my advice. As in, never. Not once. It never happened. Nine times out of nine they'd listen to my careful, painstaking analysis that took me hours to compile, and ignore it and go buy something else on a whim.

So that's why I stopped advising friends and relatives about what camera to buy. It's not that I don't want to; it's not that I can't; it's certainly not that I don't want to do them the favor—I'd be more than happy to help; it's just that it's been my observation that they never end up taking my advice anyway.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Hdip posted:

Counterpoint to your decision. DSLR's are to big. Get her a mirrorless fuji. Go to the mirrorless thread and ask in there.
$400 can still a tough price point for someone to consider mirrorless. The AF and sensor performance are only now competitive with DSLRs, but they're still restricted to the higher-end cameras. Going to the less expensive bodies still requires some serious sacrifices, in my opinion.

I'm all for recommending mirrorless over DSLR these days, but the budget's gotta be there to back it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Popelmon posted:

You can get an Olympus E-M10 with a kit lens for $400, less than $300 if you are willing to buy used.
That's true. I always forget about the E-M10 option. That's a great camera for the price.

• Locked thread