Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Matthew_O posted:

So here are some of my personal views:

1) Market metrics like those posted by the OECD analyze the entire Canadian housing market as an aggregate. The problem is Toronto and Vancouver make up a much larger part of our population than New York does of the US. It skews the overall picture.

2) Canada's stature has improved in the international community. It attracts international buyers. The international real estate market in what I consider prestige countries always has a target destination. There is a lot of misinformation with respect to foreign investment: especially from the BC Realtors, who are always downplaying foreign investors. The reality is that Canada now has two prestige markets. Prestige markets are bubbly. Our newly created prestige markets skew things more than they would in other markets.

3) Canada's geography (i.e. very little desirable real estate) lends itself towards higher prices. Real estate should be more expensive in Canada than in the US, all other things being equal.

But here is the real kicker, beyond anything else. Money inflation is high right now. It is keeping wages afloat, it is helping employment numbers, and it is reducing the value of our dollar. Consumer credit is tightening up and already people are having to adjust. The age group getting hit the worst right now are seniors on fixed incomes, and I hate to say this, but they are best able to absorb the impact by changing their standard of living. There was no magic solution out of the 2008 recession: we did a pretty good job of getting out of it without destabilizing the country.

So...thank you housing for saving the day...now we just need to get it under control and land this baby as softly as possible.

Several of these points seem wrong to me. The GTA and Metro Vancouver encompass nearly 25% of the population of Canada, that isn't a skewing of housing costs, those two areas really are a large fraction of the real estate market. Inflation in Canada is low (link) not high, it is also low in the US, and the Canadian dollar hasn't moved much against the US dollar, which is further evidence for low inflation in Canada.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

Matthew_O posted:

There is nothing naive about your post. I differentiate between the scenarios though.

The financial crisis had the ability to spiral out of control: mass unemployment leads to less spending, leads to businesses not hiring, etc. etc.. In those types of situations, that future consumption could possibly not happen. It is like paying off a credit card with another credit card: it isn't a smart idea, but in many situations it is better than not making a payment and eventually having both cards revoked. Better to keep them afloat until you are able to recover.

Simply said, a timid, guarded public is dangerous for any economy. Yes it creates winners at the expense of those out of the system. But you have to worry yourself about the people still playing the game, not those who have retired from it.

“‘We have to dance until the music stops,’ Chuck Prince of Citigroup said, but the music had already stopped when he said that.” — George Soros

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

Helsing posted:

None of this, of course, is to say that you're wrong about how disastrous the long term effects of this policy could turn out to be. But there is an underlying logic here that seems to tie into a reliance on housing to help power the economy ever since the great productivity slow down of the 1970s.

I don't think there has been a 'productivity slump' at least not by any metric I have seen. Can you explain this?

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

Helsing posted:

I didn't say anything about a slump, which would suggest an actual decline in labour productivity, I said that productivity growth has slowed down after its postwar peak...

Yeah, I misunderstood your original post, but I got a good answer anyway!

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

End state: everyone buying and renting from someone else, resulting in everyone paying everyone else's mortgage. Communism has arrived and it is wearing the guise of a housing bubble!

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

etalian posted:

it's a real estate human centipede

If you are only renting, does that mean you are at the tail end? Or the head?

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

Jerkwin posted:

What possible motivation could a person have for buying a house, verses renting one, when prices are deflationary? That sounds like a horrible housing market.

All of the reasons people buy houses in the first place? Like space and yards.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

Jerkwin posted:

Renting would make more sense. Why buy a house on Monday when it'll be cheaper on Tuesday?

I'm not saying deflation is a good thing, just that people would continue to buy houses for the same reasons they currently do, with the exception of the flippers. I'm not sure depreciation is a large impediment, people already by cars. Also, over the last few pages we have seen several articles with people talking about home ownership being a cultural or social imperative to advance in life. I don't think the housing market would be 'horrible', but that certainly isn't an endorsement of deflation.

In the 80s when mortgages were in the 10% range and appreciation wasn't, people still bought houses.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

Lexicon posted:

You simply cannot do this calculation in the absence of inflation and end up with anything approaching a sensible result. You need to calculate it in NPV terms otherwise it's utterly meaningless.

I'm busy right now, but I'll do it later and post the spreadsheet.

While I'm interested to see this calculation, given the last 5-6 years of really low inflation, holding inflation constant doesn't seem like such a bad way to get a first estimate. Perhaps when you do your calculation, you can do it for 1% inflation and also some more historically normal value?

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

mik posted:

Is the rent vs. own dichotomy as it's portrayed in a purely financial sense really only valid in larger cities? My point is, the math assumes the property you rent is equivalent to the property you buy. Somewhere like Toronto obviously there's thousands of condos to rent and thousands of equivalent condos to purchase, but where I live (30k population) there's a distinct line between rental properties (for the poors) which are almost always townhouses or apartments, and detached housing which is pretty much purchase-only. There's no way I would be able to find and rent a house here that would be equivalent to the one I bought, or at the very least the rent would be so high that it would no longer make renting the 'smarter' choice.

It's easy enough to say that factoring in opportunity cost and all the other nuances renting is financially better than buying, but this is predicated on the properties being equivalent in every other way. Is this equivalence a reasonable assumption based on availability in larger cities?

Yes.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

Cultural Imperial posted:

So what would happen if some significant portion of almost a trillion dollars of mortgage debt was forgiven?

Is canada going to be more like another argentina or another mexico?

Banks would become immediately insolvent, I think. Banks use mortgages they own as assets to borrow and lend against so forgiving the debt without paying the banks would cause significant collapse. You'd have to pay the banks back for the mortgages at the very least. In effect, you'd be taxing everyone to pay off the gambler's debts. A better way to do it would be to write everyone a check for X amount and then let people walk away from their presumably underwater homes and then make the banks whole at the time of sale of the house (so they can't claim it as worthless, recoup full value and then sell it afterwards).

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

JawKnee posted:

This sounds remarkably like lowering interest rates to increase the amount of cheap credit available

Sorta, except it would be occurring after housing prices collapsed and people were stuck with assets that will never be worth what they owe on them. If the real rate of return wants to be below zero, you gotta spend instead of screwing with the interest rates. At any rate, you probably shouldn't read in to my statement too much, lots of assumptions in there.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

LemonDrizzle posted:

I think home ownership in general has a respectably positive EV. Per Shiller, the capital value of the property can be expected to hold steady in the long term, and on top of that you get a "dividend" in the form of the imputed rent. In a healthy market, the imputed rent may be 5-7% of the price so even after you take off 1% of the property's value per year for maintenance, you're left with an asset that provides a real return of 4-6% per annum. That's not bad at all, especially since you pay no tax on the return and neither do you pay capital gains tax if/when you sell.

Obviously this is not an argument for buying in a bubble, I am not saying this means that now is a good time to buy in Canada, blah blah blah

If you buy a house with a mortgage, you owe interest on that mortgage which you must include in your estimate of EV. And transaction costs.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

LemonDrizzle posted:

That's true but if you buy with a mortgage you can also expect above-inflation capital growth thanks to your leverage. Going off Shiller's statement that houses retain their value in real terms (and assuming that the central bank succeeds in keeping inflation at around the 2% target rate), a house bought for 200k will see its nominal value rise by 4k after the first year of ownership. If you bought with 20% downpayment of 40k, that'd be 10% nominal capital growth for you before you consider other costs; basically, provided that your mortgage payments are not significantly greater than the imputed rent + maintenance costs + relevant taxes, you'll almost certainly come out ahead.

Well yeah, but "provided that owning is a superior financial decision, owning will be a better financial decision" is very different from what you originally said, that "I think home ownership in general has a respectably positive EV." Anyway, you can find out if any particular scenario has positive EV by going here. It is fun to play with regardless.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

etalian posted:

lol

http://www.ted.com/talks/michael_green_why_we_should_build_wooden_skyscrapers/transcript?language=en

We need to reduce the concrete and steel and we need to grow bigger, and what we've been working on is 30-story tall buildings made of wood. We've been engineering them with an engineer named Eric Karsh who works with me on it, and we've been doing this new work because there are new wood products out there for us to use, and we call them mass timber panels.

These are panels made with young trees, small growth trees, small pieces of wood glued together to make panels that are enormous: eight feet wide, 64 feet long, and of various thicknesses.

So, particle board?

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

Ming the Merciless posted:

I'm new to the thread, so sorry if this a dumb question. With all the bellyaching about the housing bubble, wouldn't there be some indication in the mortgage arrears statistics that things are about to go bad? If people are keeping up with their payments, what difference does it make?

You can't look at correlated risks on the individual level (i.e. what the mortgage payers are doing), you have to look at the whole of the money ecosystem.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

Lexicon posted:

As an alumnus, I often feel disgusted with UBC's constant money-grubbing and empire building behaviour. But then I think "maybe all universities are like this".

I genuinely don't know. But I can't shake the feeling that UBC is uniquely awful.

Why would everyone's participation in lovely behavior make it better?

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

Kalenn Istarion posted:

So, if I'm reading this right, Hal was just using 'theta decay' to refer to monetary deflation. I'm struggling to parse his post because of the excess of :words:.

And the terrible grammar. There are extraneous words and punctuation marks all over his posts. Makes it very difficult to parse.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

Isn't the difference between a tight market and a loose market a few percentage points?

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

tagesschau posted:

I think the point is more that high foreign ownership isn't driving up condo prices, because high foreign ownership of condos is not actually a thing.

That was my question. If the difference between a tight market (totally made up number: 4%) and a loose market totally made up number: 6%) is only 2%, then having 2.4% of your property owned by foreigners is, indeed, the difference between ever increasing property prices and an easier market for buyers. I have seen here, in the LA rental market, that 2-4% vacancy is considered extremely tight and 7-9% vacancy hilariously loose. So, foreigners running in and snapping up 2.4% of the rentals in LA could very well make the difference between cheap living and expensive as hell. Anyway, my point is that "small numbers" have to be compared to something else. If 2.4% of my body was cancer, that would be really, really bad.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

What is with the fuzzy things on the rims of winter coats?

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

Decoy Badger posted:

It provides a snow/windbreak and insulation without jamming an uncomfortably tight hood rim into your cheeks and face. It's incredibly handy when you're out working in -30ish weather - you can get away without having to wear a face wrap until it gets to -40 or so. I use mine when working in the Nunavik winter.

Cool! I've seen them in movies and pictures, but never in person close enough, so I had no idea they were actually useful rather than just fashionable.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

RBC posted:

That's not unusual, you're banking on the lendee paying back the debt over a period of time, not all at once. On a micro level it's not really an issue.

But when your whole population is taking on that much debt, it's a problem. It indicates a population that is not planning for the future and is over leveraged.

Also, if your population is highly leveraged they have to drastically cut spending during even a small downturn (or uptick in rates), so I would imaging that very high debt levels make the business cycle more dramatic.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

Is 1000 sq ft a lot? I've been living in the same ~400 sq ft apartment for so long I don't even know.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

I've read this article before and it absolutely reflects my experience. “At the highest levels of educational attainment, STEM wages are not competitive.” Ain't that the loving truth.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

peter banana posted:

who was asking about rents?

http://www.blogto.com/city/2015/01/many_toronto_renters_spend_half_of_pay_cheques_on_rent/

Ugh. So done with this city. So done with this economy. So done with this country.

Los Angeles is the same way. Most expensive city in the United States for both renters and owners. But now it seems it might not be the most expensive in North America.

OSI bean dip posted:

Nobody should ever pay more than 10-15% of their yearly intake on rent. It is a rule I have stuck to for half a decade now.

Truf, although now I can't move without a huge wage increase to keep the streak alive.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

Don't forget it's generally not a single landlord, it's a huge leasing company that leases space on behalf of a ton of building owners. I'm not sure all the specifics, but I've heard of individual owners getting scewed because they signed over control of rates to the huge leasing corporation who are fine sacrificing that building's income for the greater good of keeping prices high in the city/region as a whole. It functions almost like a commercial leasing cartel where supply is restricted to keep prices up.

I would guess that the value of the land and building are strongly tied to future rents, so if you can keep rents rising fast enough, the property will appreciate faster than you lose money on vacant space.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

http://www.reddit.com/r/vancouver/comments/2t5cd5/an_alternative_to_the_hellish_housing_costs_in/

This loving "tiny house movement" cracks me the gently caress up.

Build equity in a 40k outhouse with strata fees. Good job doing the math there hipster mark carney

Not that I want to build equity in any housing at the moment, but some of those tiny houses have neat features.

MickeyFinn fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jan 22, 2015

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

I'm guessing that thing is 100sqft. That's $400/sqft. C'mon man

Hold on, I'm on the line to get one myself right now.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

Guest2553 posted:

In the spirit of the housing megathread, some mortgage lenders will find themselves up against the wall then the crash comes! Uninsured private mortgages at 5-15% interest for up to 95% of the cost of your house! Or if you want to bankroll this enterprise, you can average a return of 13% or more! Buy now!

If this guy is using the value of his mortgage business to take out business loans and then using it to make loans to people, hasn't he effectively reinvented the CDO?

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

Yeah, make everyone buy one of those neato tiny homes before they can buy a regular house. No one gets grandfathered in!

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

cowofwar posted:

Election year

What? Again? This stupid country...

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Go god, Powell River is in the middle of no where. Is that one of those outposts you keep around to light a beacon in case Yetis invade from Yukon?

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

#1 seems like a cry for new people to join a pyramid scheme for fear it will collapse.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

Lexicon posted:

I like how they enumerate several property transitions as the 'norm' (only because these assholes want their cut of commission each time).

Well, if you start out in our lowest tier and stay for a while, you'll get the opportunity to move up in to a higher tier where the people in the lower tiers work to make you money. All you have to do is purchase this illiquid asset and maintain it until you are ready for the next tier and then you bring someone in to the system... The more I think about the economics of house purchasing, the more I think it is a pyramid scheme.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

sbaldrick posted:

Most people don't have the cash on hand to pay the 500 bucks if the furnace or hot water tanks goes bust (call cost plus parts). I pay 20 dollars a month and they just ripped out and replaced the hot water tank as part of the service contract or what it would cost for 10 years to buy it and given they generally only have a lifespan of about 10 years it's worth the money.

That's how you do a real emergency budget for something like this.

I'm not going to argue the merits of service plans versus saving the money yourself, but having any kind of plan at all it miles ahead of most people.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

peter banana posted:

Shower stalls are pretty common downtown. Even in larger bathrooms because of money. It's pricey, and the immediate neighbourhood isn't amazing, but Little Italy and Roncesvalles are about a 15 minute walk and streetcars on College and Dundas.

Oh god, it's gotten so bad, I'm defending $1800 one bedrooms.

Meh, got any one bedrooms in the $2500 range?

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

Baudin posted:

I love the "turning pristine wilderness into mordor" line

Have you fuckers ever driven around Fort Mac and seen your "pristine wilderness?" It's hardly some shining wilderness which is being converted to a smoke and tar filled landscape. Really wish I had taken some pictures of the landscape while I was up there.

e: I'm not saying that they're doing a swell job at environmental reclamation, but saying they're destroying pristine wilderness is a bit :ironicat: based on what I would term favourably as a bog.

I don't personally find this thing aesthetically pleasing, therefore it has no value.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

triplexpac posted:

You mean they're not making any more oxygen??? HMmm maybe I should buy some now and get in on the ground floor before I'm priced out of the market.

Modern business practices clearly put the value on breathable air at or near zero, now is the time to buy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Molson makes a lot of beers that are not associated with Molson when you look at the label. Maybe some tiny writing somewhere.