Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award

MikeSevigny posted:

I saw it for something like twelve bucks a pint at Rootcellar once. Even by local standards that's a lot for (admittedly pretty good) ice cream. I was surprised at the time that there wasn't much labelling on the product, either.

I hope she works something out, she always seemed very nice at the farmers market and I feel like most of the customers who want her really weird flavours just go to her directly anyway. I doubt the save on foods was ordering a lot of pine cone crunch to begin with.

My apologies for getting into "ice cream chat" so late in the housing mega-thread, but thought I'd add my comments. One of the challenges we have here in Ontario (Ontario Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Affairs) are small-scale producers of ice cream not using irradiated spices. I doubt that this producer has access to a food irradiation chamber and enough Cobalt-60 to render the spices she uses (ie: pine needles) sterile. We had some challenges in the past where makers of 'organic' ice cream were picking wild parsnips, garlic, dandelion, etc... Which ended up having really high counts of fecal contamination (likely from deer or raccoon poop). You can't cook the spices as that ruins the flavor, hence where irradiation comes in.

Another challenge, is that mixing psychotropic (cold-loving bacteria) with ice cream (milk is an excellent growth medium for bacteria) can result in some pretty interesting bacterial counts a few months in during cold storage.

The CFIA also has a division that is really great in helping out small-scale producers get their labeling requirements up, and offer ways to save on money for all the lab testing of different products (which can go up to $500 per recipe). The ones I've worked with have gone out of their way to help some of my small bakeries get their nutritional content labels out, the templates, exactly what lab tests are needed, and so forth. If anything, the CFIA labeling requirements have gotten much more lax than they were prior to 2006. (Ie: it is no longer criminal to sell expired infant formula).

Sorry to hear she had some difficulty, but the labeling is there for a reason. We had some bad experiences a while back of food coming from overseas that gave us a real scare (think Melamine) and, uh... hmmm... well let's just say I won't buy food that comes from a certain country anymore until they really revamp their Quality Control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010

Cultural Imperial posted:

ITT gonna with ocd who are so afraid of germs they lock themselves up in their rooms and piss and poo poo in milk jugs

This quote reminded me of a case where we were called by a landlord to investigate a possible hoarding case in an appartment building.They man had a dog, a great dane, but did not walk him much. The kitchen and living room was a land of putrid food and cockroach galore. The old couch was his bed... The outside balcony was caked with half a foot of dog poop...

... Then we entered the bedroom, and the entire room was used to store countless baker boxes, all with dates scrawled on them. You could barely move there were so many...

What was in the boxes? Dessicated dog feces, all neatly organized in bags, with specific dates - some boxes going back to the mid 90's (this was back in 2004). It was so... bizarrely disgusting, yet a sight to behold - this man had archived almost every crap his dog took and stored it away.

The superintendant who let us in started to retch and bawl her eyes out. Most of the boxes were caked to the floor or each other.

Needless to say, the spca and mental health agencies were called. Good times.

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Following this thread, I'm left to wonder just how much money would be at stake if a man-made catastrophe were to occur in Vancouver, causing the value of much of the properties to plummet from a million, to next to zero...

IE: If some fringe terrorist group were to get ahold of a dirty bomb and detonate it within the vancouver city core. It wouldn't create a lot of casualties, but much of the interior of the city would be unliveable for a few years (maybe save for some Radscorpions and Super-mutants) until radiation levels drop to acceptable again.

(Or if a giant alien spacecraft hovered above the city, and constantly broadcasted this on loudpseakers 24/7)
http://www.somethingawful.com/hosted/firemancomics/mygoodness.htm

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

It's really depressing that Canada doesn't have a huge number of smaller cities that have great qualities of life and actual jobs that people who don't want to live in Toronto or Vancouver or Montreal could live in. Even the US seems better in this respect. In europe most countries of course have their few big expensive cities, but there's usually dozens or more medium cities and tons of smaller cities that are still worth living in.

Canada has what, Victoria and Quebec city?

There's always Peterborough, Ontario. It's got a vibrant hockey team, a unique zoo, a thriving go-kart scene, plenty of festivals in nearby Havelock, cheap access to all the Quaker oats cereal you would ever need, and a one-of-a-kind downtown square, where decorative fountains double as splash pads!

What are you waiting for? Hurry up and buy now or you'll never take your kids to the Pizza factory!

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
I'm a bit surprised the thread disagrees with C.I. on renting a condo. Back when we stayed in Toronto, I had a few classmates that did this, and they were dismayed when they came over to our place.

Our building used to have some plumbing challenges, and some of the residents too manners into their own hands when the toilet tanks would not fill due to clogging or whatever. Some people used to crap in plastic bags and either put them out on the balcony with the rest of the pigeon crap, or they would be more 'sensible' and toss it down the garbage chute.

In the past, the garbage chute often got clogged as people would put waaaay too much garbage at once. About every season, we would have the cursory visit by the fire marshall because someone decided to set a fire I the chute to dislodge the mass of clogged garbage.

Well this one time, for a while, the garbage chute reaked of human crap. We complained because the smell would come into the appartment and we were a little peturbed at having to duct-tape the door entrance (this also helped to control for cockroaches, but anyway). Needless to say, someone decided to set fire to this mass of garbage and human fecal material....

... Needless to say, we were waiting outside we could hear the fire marshall yelling and screaming at the management. Apparently one of his crew

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010

Guest2553 posted:

They what? One of his crew what??

Sorry, that will teach me not to phone post on a Blackberry. The SA forums are glacier slow on this Q10. Not sure why 15+ year old forum software causes this machine to move to a crawl, but there you go.

At any rate, it was one of those huge buildings I St. Jamestown. Needless to say, one of the fireman was yelling expletetives, and when we peeked around the corner to have a look I seemed that they were standing a little too close to the mass of flaming feces when it dislodged and fell on him. Good thing he was wearing a helmet I gues

It wasn't the first time either - another time an old lady was strolling near the side entrance when she got soaked by a fecal waterfall. Some balconies would be covered in pidgeon poop, and eventually the health inspectors would force management to clean it up, so they would just hose it all down, and let it trickle 8 balconies down until I hit the bottom. We quickly learned that growing any sort of potted plant on our balcony was a big no-no unless we wanted to eat 'organic fertilizer' with our peppers.

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010

Rime posted:

Guano is one of the most effective natural fertilizers, so your peppers would have been hella absurd? Is this one of those white people things about avoiding the gross reality of food production?

Unfortunately I don't know the anser to that. I am not aware of other cultural practices that would resemble the equivalent of taking a dump in a watering can, mixing it up, and the applying it to a ready-to-eat product, but food-safety wise it is a big no-no.

I should clarify that this was when our peppers were fully grown. It's a little unpalpable to pick them after they jsut got covered in animal feces and sand.

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Speaking of Montreal, is the vietnam veteran still there at the Guy-Concordia metro station?

Also, are the stops now announced by a computer? Part of the charm of taking the metro was listening to the conductor announce the name of the stops in their most bored-slashed-constipated voice...

... I remember once our announcer heaved a "prochane arret... Peel...", and some guy in the car screamed "THIS... IS... ANGRINGNON!!!"

Guigui fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Sep 22, 2017

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
I saw "spacial justice" and immediately thought of a Vogon hyperspace bypass.

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
If such were to happen, would Cultural imperial emerge, and claim the title as the Bullet Farmer from Surrey?

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010

Cold on a Cob posted:

Yeah I will never buy a home without an inspection, even a condo, unless I'm planning to knock it down (and even then there are things you want to look for like asbestos). Home ownership is stressful enough without buying a complete lemon.

I am not sure it still applies, but back in the mid 1990's - Quebec had a law (perhaps in their consumer protection law or real estate law) that put the onus on the seller to do their due diligence in disclosing any and all "vis cachees" (hidden unknowns). The buyer could sue the seller after transfer of the property if it was discovered that deficiencies in the property were in place. Owners were the ones having their properties inspected prior to selling for this very reason. I recall a neighbor two houses down who discovered that the roof had some extensive leaking going on in the spring, sued and won in court against the previous owners.

I do not know if the same protections still exist to this day - a friend just bought a home in Montreal South and paid to have their own inspector assess the property. Any Quebec goons can clarify?

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010

Femtosecond posted:

I was looking at Montreal population and they finally in 2016 caught up to where they were at in the 70s before the Parti Quebecois got elected and caused and incredible exodus of ~200k to leave the Island (for mostly Toronto).

Assuming that Montreal doesn't do anything more remarkable than Toronto/Vancouver, the days of housing surplus, high vacancy and cheap rear end apts in Montreal are gonna be long gone soon.

It's a safe prediction that Montreal home prices will follow Toronto/Vancouver to bubble land soon.

Really hope this does not come to pass. Part of the charm that comes from the city's atmosphere in the arts and its festivals comes from having low cost rental units - tied into some better rent controls.

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010

Alctel posted:

lmao jesus christ

Ooooh, and its in Winchester, Ontario. I wonder if they know that whenever there is a good North wind, the entire town - which lies south of both the Parmalat and city sewage lagoons - smells like a mix of pungeant soggy fecal material.

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010

Misread this as "Mei and Hammond" and thought it was an Overwatch 2 tie-in.

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010

Fidelitious posted:

Sure, but that's a separate problem. My issue is how this happens over and over again
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/residents-oppose-social-housing-project-1.6782918

These pieces of poo poo will not accept even the most mundane of housing for the dastardly poors, so you have to stop asking them, stop letting them have input, and stop providing routes for them to hold up anything to do with housing.

Its a shame this opposition exists, because Ste-anne-de bellevue has a fairly nice walkeable "downtown" along lakeshore drive, with many shops, restaurants, boardwalks, etc. Heck - students from John Abbott college, McGill, and the local highschool all frequent the downtown as well. It can certainly benefit from more densification and a better mix.

That being said, it wouldn't surprise me if these signatures came from residents in next-door Senneville, or upscale Baie D'Urfe (An odd area on Montreal island's west side, that has houses which would make a Westmounter green with envy).

I think these people will never be happy - even if Annies catches fire a fourth time.

Guigui fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Mar 20, 2023

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010

Femtosecond posted:

Welp turns out the yimbys were right. Gas thread and ban CI.

Speaking of which... Whatever happened to CI? Did they go insane after being Mod challenged to marathon and positively critique all episodes of "Still Standing"?

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Are there any cities considering reclaiming parts of the ocean, or lakeside, and then building a neighbourhood on that (from scratch) like the Netherlands?

Or, perhaps the solution is to build giant platforms in the sky, with buildings on top of those. If we get really lucky in planning and design, we can have them all connect to a central reactor of sorts.

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010

Fidelitious posted:

Seems like a bit of a nothing to me. They got reports so they investigated and didn't find any but deep-cleaned them anyway.
Leading headline with 'quietly' to imply nefarious intent.

Bedbugs are horrendous so I understand the panic though.

As someone who used to do quite a few bedbug investigations in the past, I can say it is not uncommon for someone to confuse a bedbug for something more benign, like carpet beetles. Bedbugs don't do well in nature, and they generally prefer warm areas to make their homes, such as headboards, pillows or mattresses. Many outdoor insects this time of year are scrambling to someplace warm before they freeze.

If they were bona-fide bedbugs, chances are they were brought onboard by someone who, unfortunately, has their clothes infested with them - so much that they fall off accidentally and land in common areas. There is not much any transit authority can do to prevent them from coming onboard unless they request all passenges to strip naked and bag their clothes.

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
As someone who has biked ever since they used to deliver the gazette on a bike, hauling it all in a trailer anytime during the year, I can share that I would much rather bike in cold winter weather, than in rain.

One tip I do is I have one of those heat pads for people with tense shoulders. Microwave that with my gloves for 3 minutes, put it on and bike to work. It keeps you warm, and by the time you start burning energy, you don't need it as much. If you get too hot, you can take off one glove for a little bit to cool down.

What I don't like in winter is slush / unplowed roads or paths. It can make your front tire go wonky if you don't shift your weight waaay back.

Advantage of biking to work in winter is that I don't get sweaty and need to change upon arriving at work.

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Also, an ideal cycling lane / path would exist (or run) parralel to the busy street mayhaps one block over. You can see these in Coopenhagen (never been to the Netherlands) where a busy street will have a lane dedicated to cycling infrastructure, but it isn't used as much as the same lane going in the same direction one block over, which is quieter, closer to residential, slower speed limit and (overall) more friendly for kids to ride in.

Some of the biggest barriers (I find) to good cycling infrastructure are all the cul-de-sac neighbourhoods you see in new developments that do *not* connect to each other in order to redirect vehicle traffic to boulevards or stroads. This forces both pedestrians and drivers and cyclists to use the road network, which is optimized for truck traffic. Where I grew up as a kid, there were lots of these little pathways in our neighbourhoods, so biking to the grocery store to get milk for my parents, or to the video store to rent the newest SNES game for the weekend was doable.

There's also some really good evidence that good city infrastructure (that is non-car centric) helps foster independance in younger kids. This can have a protective effect when they are older against anxiety, depression, sedentary lifestyle and cardiovascular health (although it is tricky to isolate these variables in a multivariate model, as good city infrastructure continues to have positive benefits thoughout the lifecourse of an individual.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010

This seems extremely odd, that the CRA did not consider levying a municipal tax on the property. For some of our provincial regulations where the owner of a premises is noncompliant, action needs to be taken, and the owner refuses to do so - the work can be enacted regardless - and all the costs of that work are levied onto the property owner.

... and if the property owner doesn't pay their municipal tax, the city has options, which could include (at the most extreme) seizure of said property to resell it to recoup the expenses owed.

Hopefully a goon with good legal background could explain why this was not done?