Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Baronjutter posted:

Like.. the loving opening paragraph is just a list of every home-ownership falsehood out there. The entire tone of the article reads like a cheesy sales pitch. How is that an article and not one of those ads-that-looks-like-an-article things papers sometimes have? I guess since that distinction is long gone?

It is one of those things, isn't it? I mean it's written by a mortgage broker and it even has a link to his website at the bottom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Cultural Imperial posted:

Cool, I live practically next to you. I'm paying $1500/month (700sq ft 1br) for one of those new places behind the Mt Pleasant community center, how bout you?

Sup Mt Pleasant buddy, my wife and I are in a one-bedroom apartment near Guelph Park. The building's a bit 70s but the apartment just got renovated before we moved in. It's a nice place if you can get past all the novelty facial hair and tall bikes.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

mastershakeman posted:

On the other hand, living in a city full of pollution has its limits.

But the arts scene

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

StoicRomance posted:

I have a relation living in Kelowna that bought his land on disputed Aboriginal territory. [...]

He's...not great with money.

He can open a pet cemetery to make some cash.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Cultural Imperial posted:

Is UBC's commerce dept. exclusively staffed by bros and retards?

Yes, yes they are.

quote:

The incident took place on a bus ride during the Sauder FROSH, a three-day orientation for the Sauder School of Business, organized by the Commerce Undergraduate Society (CUS).

The chant condones non-consensual sex with underage girls saying, "Y-O-U-N-G at UBC, we like 'em young, Y is for your sister, O is for oh so tight, U is for underage, N is for no consent, G is for go to jail."

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
I am scared to go into Valhalla Pure because with a name like that it has to be a front for the BC Nazi Party.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Call me stupid, but how do they measure debt in these cases? Like, if I put $1000 worth of stuff on my credit card but I have $2000 in a bank account, does that still count as $1000 of 'consumer debt' for the purposes of that article?

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Paper Mac posted:

What the gently caress is "alpha++". Is that like Michelin stars for cities or are you guys just making poo poo up now

If you don't live there you're beta as gently caress

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

PT6A posted:

You are the mopiest, most defeatist person I've ever seen in my life. You should go to a doctor and see if you're actually clinically depressed or something because, drat.

Dude that applies to like 100% of people in this thread.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Kafka Esq. posted:

You've become slightly deranged over the course of this thread.

Which will burst first, the housing bubble or Cultural Imperial's brain

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

blah_blah posted:

Within a 50 meter radius of where I am right now, there are at least 5 (probably more) companies with a valuation/market cap of 2-40x that of the crown jewel of the SILICON VALLEY NORTH startup scene. I was back in Vancouver the other week and talking with a friend and she was telling me about all of the amazing perks that Hootsuite employees get (she doesn't work there but had been to the office). I didn't have the heart to tell her what the offices at places like AirBnB were like.

hahaha I work at a university and I make more than that

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Reverse Centaur posted:

It really is physically gorgeous when it isn't raining. But it rains a lot, and there isn't much else going on. That said, I wouldn't want to live anywhere else in Canada.

The summers are phenomenal. Seriously Vancouver has the nicest summers of any place I've ever lived.

Also everyone in our building is getting booted out of their apartment so the owners can slap on a coat of paint and double the rent carry out critical structural renovations so gently caress this city anyway

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Canada Debt Bubble: Mom, it’s Nick, I got your letter in the mail and ah, your (sic) gonna get your money whenever I feel like giving it to you, so just ah leave us alone OK like I don’t know what the f--- you, you don’t understand so I don’t know what to tell you OK. Love you, bye, bye

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Femtosecond posted:

I think this was the intention of the endowment lands concept? To be developed and the profits used to fund the university?

I'm not saying it wasn't a terrible idea. The concept doesn't incentivize the creation of nearby low cost student housing and the result is that you have all the students living in East Van and taking the insanely full 99 B Line across the entire city every day into school.

Fuuuuuck don't remind me the students are coming back

Working at UBC is magical during the summer, it's a beautiful campus and I have it almost to myself

Then the rest of the year I have to share it (and the 99B) with UBC students.

loving mouthbreathers

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
my brother in law got his engineering degree at ubc and he's a really good engineer (apparently) but whenever the topic moves away from engineering it's like talking to kaspar hauser

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Hahaha I was going to (finally) move some money from our savings account into an index fund last week but couldn't be bothered to put in the paperwork

Think I'll do it this week instead, what do you reckon

Hahahahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Haida Gwaii looking pretty sweet right now