Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
I love how all these 'I'm financially successful and here's how' stories basically start with 'my parents supported me and i landed a well paying job in my early twenties'. You show 'em, you bootstrapping titan of industry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

sbaldrick posted:

It is by far the highest paid trades job but it's only like 45 bucks an hour and they only work 9 to 5 for the most part because gently caress you.

"only" 45 bucks an hour is almost $100,000 per year.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

PT6A posted:

Is there a single sane Canadian who still holds even an iota of respect for their alma mater?

I do, but I went to vocational schools so :downs:

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

I want to read that story, even if it will probably make me vomit.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

Lexicon posted:

Shut it down; outsource the whole thing to the IRS. They seem to get poo poo done.

Haha, nope. The Republicans in congress have been reducing funding to the IRS for years, despite the IRS's enforcement arm being one of the best moneymakers the US government has.

quote:

As a result of cuts, the IRS is conducting fewer audits overall and fewer audits of high-income taxpayers and businesses. In 2010, it audited 1.1 percent of individual returns; in 2015, it audited only 0.8 percent, the lowest level in a decade.[19] The IRS audited 1.2 million taxpayers in 2015 — 13,700 fewer than in 2014 and over 350,000 below 2010.[20] This represents a 22 percent drop. Audits recovered about 30 percent ($30 billion) less in revenue in the past five years than in the prior five years.

Enforcement has suffered in part in spite of evidence that various IRS enforcement efforts save many times what they cost. The Treasury estimates, for example, that every additional $1 invested in IRS tax enforcement beyond current levels would yield $4 in increased revenue.[21] As Commissioner Koskinen summarized, “Essentially, the government is losing billions to achieve budget savings of a few hundred million dollars.”[22]
http://www.cbpp.org/research/federal-tax/irs-funding-cuts-compromise-taxpayer-service-and-weaken-enforcement

RealityWarCriminal fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Sep 13, 2016

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

Rock bottom interest rates and easy credit have been a thing globally since like 2009. I'm surprised they aren't more bubbles, really.

e: not exactly "since" 2009, but that's when the trend started.

RealityWarCriminal fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Sep 28, 2016

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

Now you too can live in a crappy Maple Ridge subdivision, all without having to leave China.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

Rime, please do the needful and accidentally drop something on the sign.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

Femtosecond posted:

Zoning Chat: A guy made a cool 3D map of Vancouver zones http://maps.nicholsonroad.com/zones/

Jesus Christ. I never realized how undense Knight St and Boundary are. Even the Canada Line isn't that dense.

Would love to see a map like this for Metro Vancouver.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

Powershift posted:

That outlook seems extremely short-sighted considering the rate of advancement in automation. Within 50 years there should barely be any work to do.

Hah. Canadian companies would have to invest in equipment and technology for that to happen.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

How come there are no subsidies for first time stock market investors.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

ICBC, BC's auto insurance corporation, announced it will no longer insure vehicles worth over 150,000$. Expect the Chinese exodus to Toronto to continue.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Yeah $850k is a meh two bedroom condo in my hood and I'm right next to a pawn shop, salvation army, cash advance place and like four weed shops.

3/4 of those things are good, convenient things to live around. 6/7 if you count the weed shops individually.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

It applies to all of BC, not just Vancouver. Expect to see a bunch of $749,000 houses being built in Prince George and Rupert.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

I read an article saying this was actually okay because speculative buyers are renting out all the new condos being built. :eng101:

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

Baronjutter posted:

You joke but this is already happening. 2 couples will team up to buy a house and live like roomates. I know some people in vancouver, 2 people and a kid who invited the guy's friend to go in 3-way to buy a house with a suite. The suite was not for the 3rd guy, he was to live with them as a roommate, the suite was of course needed to be rented out to make their mortgage payments on top of their 3 combined incomes.

I was in a situation kind of like this last year. My girlfriend at the time was still living with her ex, and then I moved in. It was awkward. Terrible soundproofing in the house didn't help, either.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

Me. :smithicide:

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

Subjunctive posted:

does he have other gimmicks in the rotation?

this thread's only big enough for one gimmick poster :clint:

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

cowofwar posted:

We don't care about Cuba anymore because Americans can go there legally now.

I wouldn't expect this to last. There's this new guy coming in and he's kind of a douche.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

cowofwar posted:

What was the name of that real estate analyst who CI retweeted in this thread all the time?

Luke Kawa.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

Lobok posted:

You were joking but it's always good to explain how municipal property taxes are so drat counter-intuitive to everybody.

If property taxes were levied in the intuitive way people think they are, cities might actually be able to afford things like public transit and infrastructure improvement without having to beg the provincial and federal governments.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

Son, you ain't gettin laid in this town without a1000$/sq. ft. microcondo.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

namaste faggots posted:

https://twitter.com/EnigmaMister/status/829106284272054272

hey fuckheads let's start making fun of this guy for being homeless

Please do not doxx Rime.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

EvilJoven posted:

The only time I ever hated having to commute by public transit was when I had to transfer busses and backtrack (one of my co-ops and my first job out of college), or when my commute was just massively long (Hamilton to Toronto is just a slog on the GO) Every other time I've carefully selected where I live to make sure my commute didn't take for loving ever and it was great.

Don't pick stupid places to live.

Look at this bougie motherfucker who can afford to move.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

Femtosecond posted:

In Coleman country teens are saving for a house down payment and not for any sort of post secondary education or training. Presumably they're becoming realtors straight out of high school?

Luckily you dont need a down payment for post secondary education. Just keep piling on that debt.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

leftist heap posted:

Meanwhile John Horgan says that all renters should get a flat $400 grant, because owners get property tax rebate.

On one hand, why not get rid of that property rax rebate if it's so unfair? On the other, I rent :getin:

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

It should be per month with the way prices are.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

a friend of a friend is the CEO of blockchain. dont ask me anything.

e: Sorry, just a company that does blockchain stuff, but apparently they're doing really well.

RealityWarCriminal fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Apr 13, 2017

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

Cold on a Cob posted:

If I could change only one thing about Canadian real estate I would make sales data 100% available to the public. That would be so awesome.

I'd nationalise it.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

We're hosed

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

I was FORCED to buy without a home inspection. If I didn't buy, I would have MISSED OUT, so really i had no choice.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

David Eby should have been NDP leader going in to this election. Housing is the biggest issue in BC right now, and Eby has been very visible on it, while Horgan has been silent.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

cowofwar posted:

Lots of jobs up north, if you're a Chinese national.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...article6281852/

It loving owns how easily and seamlessly China is buying the country out from underneath us

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

quote:

Taxpayers in Metro Vancouver’s traditionally
“upper and middle class” western urban
centres, such as Vancouver, Richmond and
Burnaby, are reporting unusually low taxable
median family incomes, well below the regional
average.

hm I wonder why this might be

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

Q: And what about legal immigration? Do you want to cut the number of immigrants?
TRUMP: Oh legal, no, no, no. I want people to come into the country legally. No, legally? No. I want people to come in legally. But I want people to come in on merit. I want to go to a merit-based system. Actually two countries that have very strong systems are Australia and Canada. And I like those systems very much, they’re very strong, they’re very good, I like them very much. We’re going to a much more merit-based system. But I absolutely want talented people coming in, I want people that are going to love our country coming in, I want people that are going to contribute to our country coming in. We want a provision at the right time, we want people that are coming in and will commit to not getting…not receiving any form of subsidy to live in our country for at least a five-year period.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

ductonius posted:

When I can buy something from amazon for cheaper than a store, it ships for free and arrives the same day why *should* I go to a store?

do people do this? god drat

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

Holy poo poo those crack house people are the dumbest people on earth.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

Wait a year for the US economy to collapse. It's approaching a peak and they'll gently caress it all up before too long.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

Postess with the Mostest posted:

I'm like half VUN and half VXC with a smattering of ironic Hydro One shares. No way is the american economy crashing though, I think he's posting as his new username.

The last times the US had an unemployment rate below 5% were in 2008, before the housing crash, and in 2001, before the dotcom crash, and before that, in the 70s. It's at I believe 4.4% right now. It cant keep growing for too much longer. Chaos in the White House isn't helping matters, with their big promises of tax cuts and infrastructure spending seeming unlikely. It's hard to time this poo poo, but a downturn is coming, guaranteed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

Dang I had forgotten about my 400$. Bring it on Horgan.

toe knee hand posted:

People died, so this math doesn't quite work out.

There are also some number of people moving out from their parents/roommates/exes.