Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Cultural Imperial posted:

Do you guys remember the story of the girl whose parents were thrown in jail and she day bullied? Then tge the bullies killed her puppy and she went and hung herself with the dead puppy's leash? It happened right around 2008. IN loving WINNIPEG

Do you have a source on this? I'd like to read about that in more detail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Kal Torak posted:

Huh? What kind of funky math are you using to get that number?

$1 million (left to be paid) per mortage and all of that money being instantly absorbed by the CMHC rather than prorated.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I don't know dick about Canadian housing or mortgages other than following this thread because I want to move to Toronto soon, I'm just explaining the math that that dude was likely using. :shobon:

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

I don't know about you guys but the only financial news that I'm completely focused on is the impending collapse of China's shadow banking system. It's been about a week since haixin steel defaulted and no one in western press is covering this except the FT.

Yes, a loving steel mill became a defacto bank. That's how hosed up China is.

This sounds like something that should get its own thread. :stare:

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Throatwarbler posted:

I've never understood how a newspaper called the "xxx SUN" can possibly be taken seriously. Did the word sun mean something different in the 1890s or whatever?

"Sunlight is the best disinfectant", and etc. "Shining light" onto the unknown going-ons of the day.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

shrike82 posted:

You should sell your place, move into a rental, and buy when the market implodes.

Isn't the market already in the process of imploding? A page or a couple pages ago someone posted that sales in March were down way low compared to February, and also compared to the March-February difference over the past 15 years. I can't imagine that selling right now would be a reliable way to get out. Is the market actually that hot right now, despite all the talk about vacant condos and stuff?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Antifreeze Head posted:

The horribly cold winter we've had can't entirely be hand-waved away as a reason that sales are slower. It's certainly not the entire reason, but I know I've passed at going out to even look at a home because of the soul-crushingly frigid weather, and I've been less than enthused about making offers since I don't really want to move all my poo poo when it's still feeling like -30 outside.

I didn't know the winter was a reason that sales were slower in March compared to February.

Saltin posted:

The market in general I suppose, but there are different climates, even within the same city. For example, in Toronto, condos are pretty much tanking and have been for a while. Tough to unload. Million dollar plus homes have cooled off and generally go for a little under asking thanks to the CMHC rule changes for mortgages of that size. I understand this had a large impact in Vancouver as well where more homes tend to be "valued" above 1 mil. However, the 500k to 999k Single Family Home market in Toronto is still red loving hot, assuming factors like walkability, subway/transit, etc are in place. Good homes in this range are really really hard to find too. Homeowners are hanging onto their places.

Also, when the correction comes, it will affect all areas, but different areas in different ways. I firmly believe that suburban homes and urban condos are going to take it on the teeth, and city homes in the right neighbourhoods, while correcting, will do so to a lesser degree. They will also be the first to turn around. The degree to which these sub-markets correct is debatable, for sure.

Makes sense, I've been mostly watching the Toronto condo and housing market.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

This is loving awesome.

Honestly structures like those should be convex and not concave. The "stretching into the horizon" effect is very dystopian.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I've always had a soft spot for Brutalism, and especially the 50s-70s "future architecture" look. It's kind of a shame that it's mostly died out and we're stuck with huge nondescript towers of glass and steel.

edit: Tell me you wouldn't want to live here:

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Everything sucks everywhere, the EU is headed towards its own severe issues, and Australia is not exactly my barometer of a thriving economy (plus they have their own issues with excrative industries!) so I don't know why some people are suggesting emigration as a panacea. Even for those who can reasonably pull it off, chances are, if you're able to emigrate and get a job elsewhere, you have the job skills to do well in Canada.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Is Toronto not a real economy?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

http://www.macleans.ca/society/life/condo-hell/

I genuinely feel that all condo owners can get hosed. Keep building that equity shithead.

What's supposed to be the appeal of condos if you have to deal with all that bullshit and also pay exorbitant "maintenance" and membership fees? Even housing bubble aside, it doesn't seem like you save any money at all by buying a condo than renting an apartment when you take in all the money costs and wasting-your-time costs.

I'd rather deal with a management company than powertripping plebeian jackasses.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Why should it be income? Presumably your benefactor paid tax on it when they earned it in the first place.

That comment reminded me instantly of this cartoon I read once upon a time:

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Really part of the problem is that modern architecture is embarrassingly bad. I don't think anyone would be objecting if modern houses weren't visually offensive. If you're replacing a beautiful old house with a beautiful new house, not so bad, right?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

You must be one of those calgarian wasps that only ever interacts with non whites at the pho restaurant.

Also, see Toronto. Specifically the people that vote for rob ford.

Truly, the heart aches at the incredible unjustness that those wealthy Chinese face everyday in this nation. When will the powerful middle- and working-class citizens take pity upon them and lift the yoke choking those millionaires back from their true place and success in Canadian society?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Lead out in cuffs posted:

You are both walking a very fine line between legitimately criticising aspects of traditional Chinese culture and outright racism. And I'm not 100% certain you haven't crossed that line.

Would you say the same thing about "traditional American culture"?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I actually find it genuinely loving racist that middle class (and lower) Canadians think that they're so superior to the Chinese that they should Step Aside and Allow the Lesser Chinese to Achieve Glory in Canadian culture. They are outrageously more wealthy than any of you could ever hope to be -- they are not oppressed. They are the furthest thing from oppressed. Just because they have a different skin color and are from a different country does not mean that they're oppressed. They have far more mobility, far more social and economic power in Canada than any of us could hope to have. It is seriously, breathtakingly racist and paternalistic to assume that simply because They're Chinese that they're worse off than someone barely pulling in $35k a year.

We have a distinct economic group arguing against indisputably positive things for Canadian culture because it might have a negative impact on their Investments in Canadian cities and property. That group has very little investment and stake in Canadian culture and prosperity - they are opportunistically mobile. If not for Canada being geographically proximate and economically suitable they would have zero interest in this country. It is the furthest thing from racist to be concerned about this situation.

Whether they be wealthy Chinese, Americans, or Canadians the problem with condo overvaluation and the fixation on ~Property Values~ is becoming a huge problem for Canadians and the economy and absolutely deserves full and thorough scrutiny. I think it is doubly a problem when it's being fed into by foreigners who have comparatively little stake in the future of the Canadian economy. They can go somewhere else, after all - they have the money and connections to do so. What can Canadians do in the face of oncoming economic recession/depression?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Vaginapocalypse posted:

It's like we need a final solution everlasting answer to this problem.

on the left posted:

It's pretty ironic to denounce racism using nationalist rhetoric. Anything else to say about the international jew opportunistic Chinese?

Go ahead, keep on watering down the impact of insinuating that someone's a Nazi. When you come across actual racists and nationalists I hope your words still get people's attention rather than indifferent shrugs.

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Nationalized banking is literally the worst idea. Who backstops personal deposits when it's the government that's holding them? How does the government have the knowledge or capability to run a bank effectively?

Do you think politicians, whose key qualification is generally that they're more interested in wielding the strings of power more than the next guy, will be responsible with hundreds of billions of dollars?

:cripes:

Public workers generally have very little to do with politicians. And, I mean, look at what you're saying: "How does the government have the knowledge or capability to run {power plants / television broadcasting / transportation infrastructure} effectively?" What makes banks any different? Is it the loss of a profit motive, or what? Credit unions seem to work just fine.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

PT6A posted:

The only thing I see when I see that is: "Christ on a crutch, it must be hot." You can't vent an air conditioner out, nor ever catch a breeze. I suppose it you like sweating your ballsack off all the time, such an apartment might be appealing, but otherwise I can't understand it.

Those structures generally have central air.

...did I get whooshed?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
What the gently caress.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

ductonius posted:

Other than the clash of styles (which is a matter of taste) what exactly is wrong with this?

Just a matter of taste? Seriously?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

ductonius posted:

Yes, to a huge degree art and architecture are a matter of taste. Shocking, I know.

So, what exactly is wrong with that building other than the fact that some people will find it hideous and others will find it not so?

Did you think Tour Montparnasse was "a matter of taste" too? Aesthetics isn't nearly as subjective as you want to believe. And, no, the importance and impact of having a cohesive and attractive city center goes well beyond simple preference. People don't want to spend time or money or social investment on a severely goblinized place.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Lexicon posted:

The rise of the city. It's a widespread phenomenon.

In a way, we should celebrate it - it's enormously wasteful to have these little places in the middle of nowhere that no longer have any semblance of their original purpose for being established.

Does this mean that smaller cities will grow as those small towns get abandoned, or will we just see places like Toronto and NYC get even bigger?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Rime posted:

It's quite a bit more complicated than that, I don't have time to troll back sixty pages to find the last time I posted my thesis on the economic decline of BC.

For future reference, you can check your own thread-specific post history by clicking the [?] button at bottom left of your post.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

The Ender posted:

If you're going to troll like that, at least go whole hog and use images from Auswitz or Baba Yar. You'll offend a lot more people that way.

He didn't buy that avatar.

Mr. Wynand posted:

Hey CI so just wondering are you just coming out as straight up racist I mean it's cool if you are because it's not racism if it's true right but anyway if you could just come forward and clear the air on the issue that would be great.

Blistering gotcha. You really blew him the gently caress up.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Saltin posted:

This is correct - they are different. Racism is generally rooted in fear while hating people with dough is mostly jealousy.

No, it's envy. Can't be jealous of what you never had in the first place.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Hypothetically, what happens if this bubble never pops? Or if it flattens out and stays steady, never crashes?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Baronjutter posted:

I don't care how cheap the land is, I'm not sure I could totally give up civilization and live like a cave man plus really any sort of income other than selling bark or what ever you'd do with that land. Log it?

Even if you can't grow anything, agriculturally poor land often still ends up being excellent ranching land, and there's pretty solid demand for conscientiously-raised free range meat. I'll probably end up doing the same thing Rime is planning on when it's time for me to retire; I'd rather spend the last years of my life out in the country than rotting in some forgotten room in a giant city or a hospital room hooked up to a dozen machines.

If you think rural living is "living like a caveman" it might be educational (and fun!) if you spent a summer volunteering at a farm or something. Frankly more people should do that, if only to understand where their food comes from and how the rest of the world lives outside the concrete hells.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
It'd help us not give them a click if you pasted the actual text of the article so we'd even know what it was actually about, since the URL isn't too informative.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Also for like 3-4 years (several years ago) I'd scoff at my friend who kept on telling me about how awful Vancouver was and over the past ~2 years I've just been continually surprised at how much more awful it is than I ever imagined it could be lmfao.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
8 loving thousand 8 hundred dollars net income a month.

I remember when I was living an entire year off about that much.

Like holy poo poo give me 165k a year and I'd be a millionaire in short time just by not being loving retarded with my money.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Kafka Esq. posted:

Heh, imagine if he said "exterminate all black people". Imagine the torrent of abuse poor CI would have to endure from the evil SJWs.

Heh, imagine if he said "exterminate all white people".

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/10/21/foreign-investors-housing-canada-cmhc_n_6022378.html

quote:

CMHC: We Don't Know How Many Foreign Investors Are Buying Canadian Homes

Canada’s government-run mortgage insurer has admitted it has little grasp on how much of the housing market is now owned by foreign investors, but insists the issue is not a problem.

As house prices continue a years-long runup, and warnings pile up about mortgage debt and a possible housing bubble, many analysts have pointed out that Canada is “flying blind” when it comes to detailed data about residential real estate.

As HuffPost Canada reported in a recent series, the lack of detailed data about who is buying homes in Canada poses a risk to the housing market that could affect the entire economy.

One of the most contentious issues is whether or not foreign investors have driven house prices above levels that Canadian homeowners would actually support, particularly in Toronto and Vancouver.

Some analysts worry about the condo “ghost towns” or ghettos that could result if and when foreign investors decide Canadian real estate is no longer a good place to park money.

In an interview with the Financial Post, Canada Mortgage and Housing Corp. president Evan Siddall admitted the country’s largest mortgage insurer has “data gaps” when it comes to understanding foreign ownership levels.

Siddall said it’s difficult to gauge who’s buying houses because many purchases are done through nominees or corporations, and “we need to look for ways to pierce that.”

The CMHC carries out phone surveys to get data about ownership but “we can’t phone people in Singapore or Hong Kong, we don’t know who to call.”

But “right now, based on what we know … we don’t think the level of foreign ownership in Canadian housing markets is excessive,” Siddall said.

Estimates of foreign ownership vary widely. Prominent Toronto developer Brad Lamb raised a fuss this summer when he asserted that 50 per cent of Toronto condos are being bought by foreign investors.

"There is a big interest in Toronto as a safe zone to put money," Lamb told the CBC.

Some developers see a risk from the fact homes are being bought by people who won’t live in them.

Toll Brothers, a major luxury home builder in the U.S., recently said it had “snooped around” Toronto’s housing market, but was scared off by the fact that that 60 to 70 per cent of new condo buyers didn’t plan to live in their homes.

“The level of investment, and not just foreign investment, is what concerned us,” CEO Douglas Yardley said, as quoted at the Globe and Mail.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Baronjutter posted:

Part of me loves the boom and bubble because it's greedy idiots subsidizing future affordable housing.

Given how shoddy the construction is on a lot of those buildings, I'm not so sure that they'll be affordable for the low-income crowd. Is the government going to be on the hook for maintenance?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

JawKnee posted:

gently caress reddit and the people that use it, like 95% terrible excuses for humanity

Those guys are being downvoted. I bet I could quote you something from here that makes SA look... awful... but I don't think it'd be a valid way to indict the entire userbase.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
So exactly what the hell is gonna happen when this bubble pops? Mad Max? Low interest rates?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
It's not at all ugly, it's cozy. Great effort post, thanks Baronjutter.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

etalian posted:

hopefully a soft landing just like Japan

What do you think a Lost Decade would do for Canadian art?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Baronjutter posted:

Bunch of new mini-towers coming down the pipes in Victoria, all rentals. The new condos that went up by my apartment just switched to apartments too. Construction is still booming like it's a bubble, it's just all switching from condos to rentals.

Also the prices for most of these new rentals are insane.

Since they're rentals, are they of any better build quality or is it still shoddy as hell? Presumably a management company would want to make sure that they incur as few maintenance issues down the road as they can. But who knows given this bubble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I'd far rather live in a proper apartment building than a condo tower (for exactly those reasons you outlined) but I'm skeptical that they're suddenly letting go of all the shoddy build practices now that they're deciding to build apartment towers.