Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
That deck is pretty cool though.

I sold my place beginning of March thinking inventory was going to pick up in the spring like normal and I'd be able to find a place I like quickly.

Well now suddenly interest rates are below 2%, the new inventory on the market's completely dried up this week for obvious reasons, there's a lot of people looking to buy but there's nothing to buy, and I'm going to be crashing on someone's couch in a month it looks like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

To be fair, things move fast and interview's kinda old at this point. Realty Board shut down all open houses this week. I had to go look at a few places and activity was probably down by like 3/4.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

No, 5 year variables are coming under 2% now.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Rime posted:

The VPD budget has doubled in ten years with little to show for it, could probably trim some fat there.

I mean, what's the correlation there to the reduction in the provincial mental health services budget over the period?

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Uh yeah 46% of the entire city has lost work and like 35-40% aren't going to be able to pay property taxes on time, firing a few comm staffers and firefighters isn't going to make up for the $200M.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

That's 1480 Howe, that crazy looking new luxury condo you see when you go over the Granville bridge. It's not exactly indicative of actual housing prices.

If they actually want affordable maybe don't start with a brand new center downtown development that would basically include the GST in there as well.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Might be just single detached? I looked at last two properties (apartments around downtown) it looks like are up 4% and 4.5% respectively, fairly tame.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

HookShot posted:

Ah yes that company Amazon, famous for *checks notes* paying it's employees wages that are high enough that they won't bat an eye at $3k a month in rent.

I mean I don't know about now, but in Vancouver a year back they had waves of recruiting for devs at around 130-140k for intermediate experience.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

HSBC offering 5 year variable at 0.99%, I don't remember seeing sub-1% before.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Hubbert posted:

in fact, this was an incredible effective tactic right up until andy yan blew the topic right open with his data and vancouver's previous mayor called his academic findings racist

quote:

Yan found that buyers with “non-Anglicised Chinese names” had picked up two-thirds of 172 houses sold over a six-month period beginning in September 2014 in Vancouver’s posh west side neighbourhoods.

Yeah, according to his study I would have been counted as a "foreign investor" or whatever. But I just wanted to keep my Chinese name, and so apparently the state of the Canadian housing market is the fault of people like me.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

South False Creek condo, down 5%

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

I'm 2 blocks from Sen̓áḵw, I welcome the density but uh the surrounding infrastructure and routed traffic and lack of parking are going to be an absolute shitshow yikes

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

The city isn't proactive enough to make transit better in the area, hopefully they'll be forced into it after the fact. But chasing more parking is a dead end, the city doesn't really have the capacity for more cars. More and more projects should be providing low or nearly no parking.

Yeah I appreciate the sentiment behind it (I don't have a car myself and I live around there) but when they plop 9000 people into a previously light industrial area and not give them adequate parking per unit, it's just going to be a headache that spills over into every surrounding neighbourhood, can't get around it. It won't be just the people living there, there's residential and commercial visitors too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Mr. Apollo posted:

Bill Morneau is still salty about what happened to him and he's slamming the budget saying that it'll hurt economic growth since people won't want to invest anymore because of the higher capital gains tax.

I hadn't kept up with the budget news, but my LinkedIn feed is nothing but Presidents and CEOs writing long diatribes against Trudeau and how all innovation in Canada is now dead, so he must have done something right.