Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Almost half way through summer.

And still not a peep.

XSEED stop teasing us please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Well.

Uh.

At least it's a peep.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
So while SC has depressed us regarding lack of release date, Cold Steel might be going the opposite direction, because Best Buy just put it up for preorder... with a date that certainly doesn't look like a placeholder.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/the-legend-of-heroes-trails-of-cold-steel-playstation-3/9512028.p?id=1219704509893&skuId=9512028

11/17/2015, huh?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
It is now August.

XSEED please don't be lying/pulling some "Astronomical Summer" bullshit and give us SC. Preferably sooner.

Cake Attack posted:

In China, haha

Given that the PC port for Ao no Kiseki is also some Chinese thingy, and yet XSEED apparently considers it relevant, PC Celceta from China might not be too bad...

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
https://www.facebook.com/XSEEDTrails/posts/1202292269796184

:cripes:

Why?! How?! You said a couple of months at the start of summer! Dammit XSEED I trusted you.

... well, I didn't really trust you. But I BELIEVED! Vaguely!

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

The Colonel posted:

Learn to use a Bo Staff

My hair isn't long enough for twin tails. Can I learn dual wielding swords instead?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Slur posted:

The problem with the way that this is being handled (and the entire Trails series as well) is that Falcom seem to think that their writers will be immortal/their profits will justify a consistent number of sequels. Sure, this could all be built up to some grand conclusion, but the question is if we're ever going to see it, and even more questionably so in the west. This is half the reason why cliffhanging is a really, really, really bad idea.

You don't really need to be immortal to have your story continue, you just need to leave complete notes of what you have in mind. Which you should be doing anyway.

Hell, the Writer(s?) probably have to explain the overarching whatever to people in order to get poo poo done anyway.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

The Colonel posted:

I kind of wish they'd keep this error in.

Yeah, I gotta say I like that one.

I mean, the fact that it apparently refers to Olivier, they have a point, but still.

And the stuck in walls one isn't worth caring about, since the guy had to work hard to get in there anyway. So if you do it yourself, it's your own drat fault.

This one, however.

How. How does that even work.

Ugh.

So, I guess I can understand that they're delayed hard by this.

But this just begs the question of how the hell did it happen in the first place. What did Falcom do when making this game.

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Aug 15, 2015

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
... wait.

What.

As work was drawing to a close on the editing side of SC, a lot of discussion was also being had on the direction of the series as a whole. This was always in the back of our minds, but it became especially important as work on Cold Steel began.

WHAT.

They didn't start translating Cold Steel until editing of SC was almost done? And they're already done?

... Hm. Or maybe it means editing of Cold Steel began. Still, that's kinda nuts, though CS isn't remotely as long as SC.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Erpy posted:

From what I heard, Cold Steel makes some simplifications to the quartz system. Rather than getting spells by accumulating elemental points on certain lines, quartz gives spells directly like a direct copy of FF7's materia. Not everybody was happy with that simplification. I've also heard that the games are easier...or rather easier to break. Trails FC's final boss tended to take like 30 minutes, even with high levels and the most powerful setups. I once heard someone say that there were setups in Cold Steel II that allowed you to do so much damage that the final boss could be beaten in a handful of rounds.

Also, apparantly Cold Steel 1 is very linear and schedule-based.

Meanwhile, in Ao, you can perpetually stop all the enemies from ever acting to begin with, and oneshot almost everything, and have infinite turns...

Anyway, to be realistic, the problem's most likely "Waaaah they changed it, it is now the worst thing".

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Aug 23, 2015

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Well, I think he left in part because of guilt, or possibly because he made an agreement with Cassius that if his (Joshua's) past ever came back to haunt him or put Estelle/Cassius in danger, he would leave.

As for the hidden sidequests, I think for the most part they are hidden for a reason - specifically they don't want the attention of the Bracer Guild (freelance police).

Uh, Alba just told him that he was spying on Cassius for Alba. And that he was doing so by mind controlling him. And presumably still can mind control him.

This seems like a pretty solid reason to get the hell away from the girl he loves right the gently caress now to me!

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Slur posted:

The Carnelia chapters and the short time window between mission to mission was the only real thing which irked me about Trails. The short windows of opportunity always made me feel on edge and paranoid that I was missing out on something important.

It's not as bad as Tales games. Thus it is "good" windows.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

SpaceDrake posted:

I'm p. certain they are going to be very careful about CS2 spoilers in the artbook. There's only one really big spoiler for CS1 that could be in the artbook anyway.

Anyhow that is a swag as all hell collector's edition, I may have to throw down some money for that.

There's spoilers for a game in it's own art book all the time. It would be a pretty boring art book if it left out things that would be spoilers. The sequel, on the other hand...

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

*goes to try and preorder, sees no LE*

Liars!

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

toddy. posted:

Yeah but what about Xanadu Next and Tokyo Xanadu though.

If you folks didn't see the Tokyo trailer and weren't hyped as gently caress we can't be tennis partners any more. I'm sorry that was harsh.

I was insufficiently hyped.

Sorry.

Good thing I don't play doubles tennis!

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U45T7HZ4v_Y

... not exactly the kind of crossover with Ys and Trails we want, Falcom.

Is this what you're spending your time with? Help XSEED fix SC instead dammit!

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Cake Attack posted:

i dont think telling the dead or alive people they can make some skins took much time or effort

Business doesn't work that way. Probably took a couple months, really.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Cake Attack posted:

considering the following is the boxart for the collector edition of FC Evo, i do not think falcom is as concerned as you think

I'm not really sure that swimsuits and "super saiyan tit attack" are comparable.

Then again, I'm not entirely sure what's entailed in a "super saiyan tit attack", so I could be completely wrong.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Nate RFB posted:

If it's anything like the FC release there will still be about a week or so of bug fixes/patches to iron out various issues. But just the same, woooo :toot:

That's still better than the month or two we were thinking we might be waiting, so wooooooooooooo hurry up so you can take my money XSEED :shepspends:

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Some Numbers posted:

As long as SC comes out before Cold Steel.

I can probably get through SC in a week. Maybe.

Are you going to spend that week playing SC and absolutely nothing else? I think the estimate is over 60 hours.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Cake Attack posted:

you can preorder the cold steel limited edition now. gamestop in USA, videogamesplus has it in Canada. i don't think Xseed announced it but both have November 11th as a release date.

cute fanart

It's had a November 11th release date since it was announced. XSEED said back then it wasn't the release date.

Of course, they could be lying, but hey.

All of the good games getting delayed...

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Cake Attack posted:

it'll own if falcom starts caring about the PC again.

cute fanart again

... where the heck are Estelle's legs.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Tita is adorable, you should bring her everywhere.

I just got her as much range as possible, had her run Support, and take shots into enemy groups when she wasn't supporting. Earth Wall is OP.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Mokinokaro posted:

Estelle looks a bit off in it (I think just how the artist does faces) but otherwise it's great.

If we're talking about faces, honestly, they all look off.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Erpy posted:

Yeah, it's Lorence. When he was at watching the play at Jenis Royal Academy, he was wearing the same white longcoat he's wearing on the cover and if you paid close attention to his battle sprite, you might have recognized that uniquely shaped sword of his. Interestingly enough, Lorence is holding his sword in the wrong hand on the cover. He's very clearly a lefty in the game itself.

I also agree on the fun of watching early concepts of characters. Earlier versions of some characters looked quite different. Lorence, for example, used to have a mask that completely concealed his face, aside from two narrow horizontal gaps for his eyes and his mouth. It also had some strange metallic horn on his forehead, making him look like a weird unicorn. :P

A very interesting sketch in the FC-version of the big artbook I linked to earlier shows this picture.

Kyle's easy to recognize, he just looks younger there. Josette too, except she's adorable enough to give Tita a run for her money. Don, on the other hand, looks REALLY different, but it gives credence to the game's claim that the Capuas used to be nobles.

Don has good taste in hats, clearly.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
That is also a fantastic :smuggo: expression.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

SpaceDrake posted:

The only real "goofy" face I can think of belongs to Olivier, and I believe that only comes out once in FC when he gets goddamn plastered courtesy of Aina and Schera

I think it also shows up when they're drinking at that inn on the lake in Chapter 1. Might be remembering wrong, though.

SpaceDrake posted:

though yes :smuggo: estelle is one of her best portraits, her :smugjones: face is also great

Evil Penguins!

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Erpy posted:

A nice little bit of fridge brilliance on Falcom's part; when she's first introduced in FC, Scherazard is reading tarot cards. The cards she gets are the Star and the Hanged Man, followed by the Hermit and the Magician and finally the inverted Wheel of Fortune.

Apparantly the Star references Estelle (her name even means "star", after the french word Etoile) and the Hanged Man references Joshua. Likewise, the Hermit apparantly references L. and the Magician card references Weissmann. A neat little detail: take a look at the Magician card of one of the most popular real-world tarot card decks and look what he's wearing around his waist. :)

Your picture is too small for me to understand what you're talking about.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Cake Attack posted:

oh no they fixed it but i got a screenshot:

Maybe they're trying to help us get ready for SC.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

The PSP version of Trails SC will definitely not have special phrases for each individual chest, because SC's empty chest line only pointed to a single string. However, there is the possibility that all 522(!) chests in Trails SC will have custom strings. No promises, though.

PSP Master Testing, versus...

Steam "testing"

So while the PSP version is pretty much ready and just going through the approval process, the PC version is still being worked on. But they still estimate a simultaneous release. Whether the PC version gets special chest phrases is still up in the air. Even if that does happen, it might not be in the initial release.

I'll probably not play SC for the first couple of weeks anyway to let them patch it (in the meantime I can replay FC).

*shrug* I kinda assume that any patches they make during the first few weeks will be for things I won't have reached yet anyway.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

The Colonel posted:

It is to ready us for SC.

I am going to destroy you if it turns out you're lying to me.

Well, as I understand it, I think the press thing is actually tomorrow, so...

Though the part about it being pretty much 100% including SC is probably right.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

The Colonel posted:

Xanadu Next is loving rad as gently caress.

Not sure if it's more rad than Tokyo Xanadu, though...

Well, it is kinda early to be announcing Tokyo Xanadu for America anyway. Hasn't even been out a month, doubt XSEED has anything on it yet.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
You're free to destroy Cake Attack if you like.

Knowing XSEED, they might just announce it as soon as they get the go ahead from Sony, and release it right after or something.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Erpy posted:

Don't kill him until we know for sure he's not gonna do an LP of SC, okay? I really enjoyed his work on the first game. :haw:

We'll just dig him up when the time comes.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Hivac posted:

I'm pretty sure the vita thread is stuck in a perpetual state of broken disappointment

I know I am whenever I look at my vita

When I look at my Vita, I see P4G. So I'm okay, I suppose.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

King of Solomon posted:

Ys Seven is very good, yes. It's a bit different from the Oath engine games, though. It introduced the party system (which Falcom would improve with Celceta), where you control a party of three characters; managing your party is pretty important, since damage types make a return. As a bonus: you get to play AS Dogi.

You could've just said that and ended your reasoning there.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Erpy posted:

Yes, there is. I once spent a weekend doing a minimum-BP speed-run through the game on New Game+ and recorded it.

It was worth it. :swoon:

End-game spoilers galore

How is it that Trails manages to have better combat cutscenes using the normal scene engine than other games do with shiny FMVs.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Some Numbers posted:

Goddammit SpaceDrake, the wait is killing me and you are NOT. HELPING.

Imagine how I feel!

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
You know, trying to forcefully invoke Opposite Day never actually works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Cake Attack posted:

its definitely SC, you can trust me, your pal Cake Attack

Like we could trust you last time?

Though their PC Programmer retweeted it.

• Locked thread