Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
People join goon guilds to latch onto players that are more try-hard than they are. They want to raid the guild bank and get carried through raids and PvP. Also the line about goons being "more civil and not x-ist" is a complete farce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008

RottenK posted:

Every single time goons decided to split into several different guilds, the eventual bleed of players who the game failed to really grab left most or all of these guilds half-empty and unable to get enough people to do endgame content.

I think it would be better to just have a poll and then whichever side wins is the side that everyone plays. I'd be a bit sad to not get to play a race that I like if the vote is not in the favor of the side I prefer, but I think it's more important to have a large and active guild that survives past the first month or two.

Yes. (this is why factions are loving terrible) but we need a specific main goon side and everyone has to acknowledge their special snowflake none main side will be mostly dead in a month or two.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Barack HUSSEIN posted:

I remember back during WoW launch, there were plenty in goon squad who made racist jokes and rape jokes and harassed the few female players
Yeah, we're contrarian assholes. When the rest of the internet was trying to be decent we were the place to be vile shitbags, and now it's a bit of the reverse. No need to beat that dead horse though, it'll work out fine.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Asimo posted:

You can publicly shame idiots in the guild in a place they're guaranteed to read? :v:

I never see that happen. The goon guilds that I have joined typically have rules about importing guild drama on to the forums and rightfully so. I think that it might have more to do with a sense of comradery(as superficial as it is) and already established community relationships.

On that note, I really do not like factions in MMOs for these reasons. I dislike most MMO features which end up dividing the player base and form social barriers.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

CrashCat posted:

When the rest of the internet was trying to be decent

Ahaha, you're funny.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Anyone know what time GMT the open beta begins tomorrow?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Xavier434 posted:

I never see that happen. The goon guilds that I have joined typically have rules about importing guild drama on to the forums and rightfully so. I think that it might have more to do with a sense of comradery(as superficial as it is) and already established community relationships.
Perhaps "threat of" is more accurate. Being on the same forum removes at least one layer of anonymity from the equation, which is more than most MMO guilds can manage (let alone PUGs).

quote:

On that note, I really do not like factions in MMOs for these reasons. I dislike most MMO features which end up dividing the player base and form social barriers.
But then how PVP?!! :cargocultgamedesign: :downs:

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

I like goon guilds because I've met almost everyone who plays mmos with goons over the years. It has nothing to do with being good or bad at the game or less xist or whatever. I just tend to like the community, and I know exactly what to expect from its various members.

I don't really care which faction we play on because I'm gonna be a human warrior either way because I can't be a chua warrior. C'mon carbine, lemme be a hamster with a gravestone for a 2-hander. You know you want to.

Mount Desert
Jan 14, 2010
Supposedly, the plan is to eliminate race-based class restrictions.

Something about not having enough time to animate each class for each race, but idk.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

poptart_fairy posted:

Anyone know what time GMT the open beta begins tomorrow?
The beta weekends were always 7am PDT, so that would be my guess.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Cock, that'll be 2pm so I'm at work.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Have the beta guilds been very active? I wasn't able to get in either side. It feels like generally goon interest is very low.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

RottenK posted:

Ahaha, you're funny.
Sorry, add "by comparison" if that makes reading comprehension easier there. Didn't mean to imply the internet wasn't full of jerks.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
The internet wasn't being nicer even by comparision.

Cyster
Jul 22, 2007

Things are going to be okay.

Mount Desert posted:

Supposedly, the plan is to eliminate race-based class restrictions.

Something about not having enough time to animate each class for each race, but idk.

That's one of the primary reasons for the race/class restrictions, yeah. Each race and gender is on its own unique rig, which means two sets of animations per class for every race (except the Chua). We didn't have the time to dedicate to that by launch.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
Does spellslinger get more advanced heals near endgame? I noticed while leveling all I had was a channeled heal and the hold to charge AoE

Uhrm
Apr 11, 2012

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Warrior feels really rough right now in general. I know people have been saying they're insane at higher levels with gear, but I'm worried we'll hit the whole EQ style classes get buffed and nerfed or lack thereof based on the performance of the top 5%.

I'd rather they do that instead of balancing a class based on the bottom 75% like with deathknight in Wrath. I Pulled that number out of my rear end, but I was tanking just fine in Naxx, Ulduar and sartharion +3 on my DK when almost every forumpost said that DKs were squishy, couldn't hold threat and did less damage then other tanks...

FoolishLobster
Sep 13, 2009

For anyone wanting to upgrade to Deluxe, you can do so now from the store on the official website. $15.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
Patch notes for anyone that gets their WildStar news from this thread.

e:

quote:

The launcher's size has been reduced to fit on Chua-sized screens.

This is great. A lot of people were complaining that the launcher was bigger than their laptop screens and how dare Carbine. I just love the wording of this.

a cat on an apple fucked around with this message at 20:13 on May 7, 2014

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on
I didn't see it mentioned in the past few pages. According to the Dev blog, if you have been in any of the previous beta's, including the weekend ones, you don't need a new key to get into the new one starting tomorrow. Just need to patch up and log in.

FoolishLobster
Sep 13, 2009

In regards to late-night players and Aussies having realms labelled as Oceanic:

CRB_Cougar: This is happening. I've always said it made a lot of sense to do this. We've just been having trouble getting all of the bugs worked out in the technology to label the realms. Assuming there will be loads of people for Open Beta that will make me open up more realms, the two Oceanic (PVE and PVP) will be two of the first additional ones I open.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Patch notes, now by Doobie's Dog House. Fries.

Aaaaand they're already upset about the mere mention of instancing in outdoor zones, because it might disrupt their world PVP. :allears:
https://forums.wildstar-online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/40993-build-6670-patch-notes-572014/?p=402697

CrashCat fucked around with this message at 20:43 on May 7, 2014

Beauaz
Mar 15, 2006

FoolishLobster posted:

For anyone wanting to upgrade to Deluxe, you can do so now from the store on the official website. $15.

Is there anywhere that I can see the stuff I get with the deluxe? Golden hoverboard, borg costume and neon green dye. Will any of this stuff be available through other means?

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

Hey look at that you can google it.

It's ugly anyway. Pass.

Fooma
Oct 15, 2010

nom nom nom

badr posted:

Unless someone else steps up I plan to run a Goon guild on Dominion side... Although I have some naming ideas I'm leaning into, I'm open for suggestions.

Guild tags are displayed in name plates by default right?

"Customer Support"

or some derivation thereof.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I'm looking forward to the costume to combine with a Mechari to create the fill Necron vibe.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Fooma posted:

"Customer Support"

Don't you just get renamed or banned for pulling that poo poo nowadays?

Cyster
Jul 22, 2007

Things are going to be okay.

Fooma posted:

"Customer Support"

Yeah, our CS guys proooobably wouldn't be keen on it. :v:

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

Cyster posted:

Yeah, our CS guys proooobably wouldn't be keen on it. :v:

Have you guys considered making it so whenever a duel between two characters starts, all players in the nearby area pull out smartphones and start screaming 'WILDSTAAAAAAR!'?

PS: The MMO liking part of our team (KSP) is on the hype train for your game. Can't wait til tomorrow.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I look forward to the Adventure where the group has to build a spaceship for some unlucky chua :v:

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Maxmaps posted:

Have you guys considered making it so whenever a duel between two characters starts, all players in the nearby area pull out smartphones and start screaming 'WILDSTAAAAAAR!'?

PS: The MMO liking part of our team (KSP) is on the hype train for your game. Can't wait til tomorrow.

You work on KSP? I love you. Please make a jeb kerman bobblehead for my desk tia.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Maxmaps posted:

I miss the days of server wide duel announcements in EQ. Best way to broadcast player announcements. "Soanssoninjad has defeated Aykesha in a duel to the death!"

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
I'm confused by the Wildstar account management. I bought a code from GMG, so I own the game but I'm also not eligible to upgrade to the Deluxe edition, so I guess I have to assume that purchasing a game key in this manner didn't count as a pre-order for the purpose of the headstart or goofy stuff like the rocket house? Also it seems to imply that my 30 free days are already ticking down??

I guess I'll have to ask Support about that. Or would drawing attention to my circumvention of NCSoft's/Carbine's region segregation be bad?

The reason I didn't buy through the Wildstar site is that they know where I live and wouldn't let me buy a NA version to play with a bunch of friends I have in the US timeszones :v:

Psykmoe fucked around with this message at 22:20 on May 7, 2014

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Character and guild name reservation starts the 13th.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/05/07/carbine-announces-wildstar-name-and-guild-reservation-deets/

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Psykmoe posted:

I'm confused by the Wildstar account management. I bought a code from GMG, so I own the game but I'm also not eligible to upgrade to the Deluxe edition, so I guess I have to assume that purchasing a game key in this manner didn't count as a pre-order for the purpose of the headstart or goofy stuff like the rocket house? Also it seems to imply that my 30 free days are already ticking down??

I guess I'll have to ask Support about that. Or would drawing attention to my circumvention of NCSoft's/Carbine's region segregation be bad?

The reason I didn't buy through the Wildstar site is that they know where I live and wouldn't let me buy a NA version to play with a bunch of friends I have in the US timeszones :v:

I activated on May 3rd, and account management shows my first billing cycle on July 6th, which seems to match up with a launch date of June 3rd plus one free month +- a few days.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Psykmoe posted:

I didn't get any special "pre-order" designation on my account page for pre-ordering, but since you have an active account and set up your subscription already it should be set. The page is kind of misleading about the subscription too, I can see why you'd think you were already losing days but nothing should be happening. You should be good on all this, and if they screw it up they should be able to fix it since they know when you put in your code.

I wouldn't worry about going around their region selection, it's probably mostly so they don't get a bunch of people crying about lag to the support teams than anything. I had both a European and US key on my World of Warcraft account for years and they never gave a poo poo about it, so if NCSoft gets pissy about it that's silly.

edit: Don't want to make another post but I gotta link this, the forums are full of panicky Petes:
https://forums.wildstar-online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/41041-overflow-please-no/

Seriously, they are making GBS threads bricks over the idea of instancing zones in very high load situations so that the servers don't crap themselves, with cries of "zomg world pvp". It's as if they want to have a bad time.

(Probably shouldn't link that right as the forum maintenance starts, oops)

CrashCat fucked around with this message at 23:09 on May 7, 2014

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

CrashCat posted:

Don't want to make another post but I gotta link this, the forums are full of panicky Petes:
https://forums.wildstar-online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/41041-overflow-please-no/

Seriously, they are making GBS threads bricks over the idea of instancing zones in very high load situations so that the servers don't crap themselves, with cries of "zomg world pvp". It's as if they want to have a bad time.

(Probably shouldn't link that right as the forum maintenance starts, oops)

Most of the people on the official forum are complete loving freaks about things that should just be standard about MMOs. It's amazing. There have been very few people in my encounters posting there that I'd consider okay.

It's kind of hilarious to read someone say that they thought they were an intelligible and sociable teen in their UO days and talk about how people who can't pay to play subscription model MMOs are peasants though and that they are the "others" who need to be kept out.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

dreffen posted:

Most of the people on the official forum are complete loving freaks about things that should just be standard about MMOs. It's amazing. There have been very few people in my encounters posting there that I'd consider okay.

It's kind of hilarious to read someone say that they thought they were an intelligible and sociable teen in their UO days and talk about how people who can't pay to play subscription model MMOs are peasants though and that they are the "others" who need to be kept out.

I wish I had so few monetary issues that the very idea of someone being poor were appalling to me.

Earlster
Jul 28, 2006

So jaded I'm green.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I miss the days of server wide duel announcements in EQ. Best way to broadcast player announcements. "Soanssoninjad has defeated Aykesha in a duel to the death!"

'England has beaten France in a duel to the death, France have fled like a cowardly dog'

Did not go down well on Karana server since it was the adopted French server, it was followed by;

'France has beaten Roast Beef in a duel to the death, This was about the mad cow disease height.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
Then the next next thread over these same jackasses will spin theories about maybe Wildstar being the real WoW-killer for sure this time??

Come on shitheels, you can't jack off to how Wildstar's group/raid content will expose and shame the bads that have been coddled for TOO LONG in MMOs and then have totally unrealistic expectations about the game's mass appeal :v:

Or is the whole WoW-killer narrative just par for the course for any new MMO's forum? The last one I got in on the ground floor (closed beta etc) with was CoH and obviously 'WoW-killer' wasn't a thing yet so I'm genuinely curious.

• Locked thread