Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
And by more tombs you mean "tombs with more than one puzzle and a treasure."

I've never played a Tomb Raider game before. I think this was probably a good time to finally start the franchise. I loved how vicious Lara got towards the end, just screaming at the people attacking her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, it bugged me how the tombs have been relegated to short physics based puzzles. It's like they took a TPS and shoe-horned in an indie game. I want less guys to shoot and more boxes to push dammit.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

As long as it's a once off shooter I don't mind...

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

notZaar posted:

I want less guys to shoot and more boxes to push dammit.
And I don't. This game was better than Anniversary/Legend/Underworld trilogy. I hope the sequel is in the same vein.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

Palpek posted:

And I don't. This game was better than Anniversary/Legend/Underworld trilogy. I hope the sequel is in the same vein.

Yeah, while on one hand I miss certain elements from the previous three games, this new one was more enjoyable to me by far. That said, I think current game would serve will as a foundation. That is, I think they could re-introduce certain elements from the previous games, without necessarily compromising all the good new stuff. I don't see it as an either/or.

Hell, I never thought I'd see the day when I'd actually enjoy the combat mechanics in a Tomb Raider game. I don't want to lose that stuff. I also wouldn't want to lose the character stuff. But nothing about that or the action is intrinsically incompatible with additional emphasis on puzzle-platforming, exploration, and so forth.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Palpek posted:

That is good for you. On the other hand there is already about a million third person cover shooters you can play and I'd like to keep raiding tombs instead of shooting lots of men at least in one game. To me, as a cover shooter Tomb Raider 2013 was better, but as a "tomb raider" game it really wasn't.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Palpek posted:

It was, but that doesn't mean it couldn't use some more fleshed out tombs and puzzle rooms. There's plenty of pure shooty TPS games if that's your thing.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007
I'm about 75% through the game, and I'm getting a bit burnt out on the combat. It's well done, but the middle part of the game just has a bit too much of it, and it'd be nice to have more areas to just run around in and parkour around and solve puzzles and whatnot, without having to worry about bad guys. It's a good game, but a bit too heavy on the shooting, I find.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I felt this was like a easier Uncharted game but the melee in Uncharted made that one better at combat. This one did have better platform mechanics in a open world and I wish they would have taken advantage of that more.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

I felt this was like a easier Uncharted game but the melee in Uncharted made that one better at combat. This one did have better platform mechanics in a open world and I wish they would have taken advantage of that more.

Yeah, that's one thing that was really neat about TR: there's often two or three different routes you can take to get somewhere.

I finished it yesterday and boy, combat really starts to grate when you're fighting lots of melee dudes (dodge attack, dodge attack, dodge attack, get a shot off if you're lucky and you don't auto-aim to the other side of the screen, ...). Fun game, but it needs more exploration and less monotonous combat against way too many baddies.

Jolan fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Aug 13, 2013

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I've seen a lot of people talking about "ludonarrative dissonance" lately in relation to games protagonists and their respective body counts, so I'm hoping this next generation will feature more action games where the hero hasn't personally killed more people than tectonic activity. Tomb Raider at least pays lip service to that in this version, but it does puncture any narrative when the protagonist kills hundreds of people over the course of a day.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Wanderer posted:

I've seen a lot of people talking about "ludonarrative dissonance" lately in relation to games protagonists and their respective body counts, so I'm hoping this next generation will feature more action games where the hero hasn't personally killed more people than tectonic activity. Tomb Raider at least pays lip service to that in this version, but it does puncture any narrative when the protagonist kills hundreds of people over the course of a day.

Yeah, I'd hope someone will come up with a way to make firefights more engaging and fun than just throwing more and more dudes at you until you turn into a human threshing machine. I think that's a side effect of this whole cover shooter trend, where combat scenarios are along the lines of "walk into room with 3 foot tall walls, take cover, shoot mans until they stop shooting, continue to next arena".

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I recently started playing The Last of Us hoping it would be better about that, but other than making ammo a little scarce and the combat extra brutal, it's still just, you know, kill a poo poo ton of dudes. Like, where do they all come from?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

They should make a game where you're the bad guy trying to stop good guys and you place troops to attack the good guys in swarms until you can manage to overwhelm them

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

DrNutt posted:

I recently started playing The Last of Us hoping it would be better about that, but other than making ammo a little scarce and the combat extra brutal, it's still just, you know, kill a poo poo ton of dudes. Like, where do they all come from?

Heh, yeah. I haven't played Last of Us yet, but I did play I Am Alive, and it's almost as bad. That's a game where you walk into post-apocalyptic San Francisco and probably end up killing a good half of the people who are left inside the city.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

Wanderer posted:

You should check out the horrible rants they had in the middle of this thread about that.

The game could've done with less fighting, but at least the fighting they had was pretty well done. The cover mechanics, in particular, felt really smooth and enjoyable (contrary to many games where you're velcroed to the wall). And I loved little animation details like Lara brushing her hand along a wall when she's walking by close enough, not to mention beautiful graphics and some awesome set pieces (the whaler on the cable lift!). Far from perfect, but a really good game that's got me excited about the inevitable sequel (that'll hopefully have more tombs and more realistic enemy numbers).

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

death .cab for qt posted:

They should make a game where you're the bad guy trying to stop good guys and you place troops to attack the good guys in swarms until you can manage to overwhelm them

They did, it's called Evil Genius. Then Bruce Lee shows up to kung fu your entire army to death, your base is on fire and your monitor is going out the window.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
So, I picked this up since it was 75% off on Steam all weekend. I played a tiny bit with the mkb controls and it seemed irritatingly clunky and pretty much designed for the xbox controller. Should I just go with that or is it just how the game is made?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Ravenfood posted:

So, I picked this up since it was 75% off on Steam all weekend. I played a tiny bit with the mkb controls and it seemed irritatingly clunky and pretty much designed for the xbox controller. Should I just go with that or is it just how the game is made?

Some of the quick time events get confusing without the controller but I didn't really think m/kb was clunky other than that. I did enjoy playing more with the 360 controller though, because I mostly played console games before getting a gaming pc.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Ravenfood posted:

Platforming is pretty much always going to be pretty clunky with a mouse and keyboard. Its manageable but when I played it on PS3, it was far more natural.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I got this during the Steam summer sale and finally finished it a while ago. It was generally really good, a beautiful game with some amazing setpieces. I just wish it had more open stealth areas like the forest at night, since sneaking around and silently murdering every guard was pretty fun.

I also wish it had less of Lara getting beaten nearly to death and whimpering in pain. It's normal for action protagonists to get pretty banged up but this game seemed to take it further than anything else I've ever seen for no readily apparent reason.

Maybe in the sequel she starts out a hardened killing machine so it won't be an issue.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Yeah, I think the point it it's an origin story. They're trying to subvert the usual action style of indiscriminate hardass by trying to make it all be "new" to her, not entirely successfully.

mfny
Aug 17, 2008
Picked this up in the Xbox marketplace download sale thingy for a tenner. Been meaning to play it for a long while so at that price I figured now would be a good time as any.

Not all that far in to single player as yet but I do definately pick up the plot vs gameplay issues that people have mentioned but so far it's not been all that of a big deal.. May change my mind later on though from the sounds of it. Also I am surprised by how solid the multiplayer is so if anyone still wants to play that S1nn3rUK is my gamer tag.

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

:neckbeard: :woop: :downsbravo: :slick:
Surprised there's not more chat on this now that the Definitive Edition is out.

I'm just starting the game, and I had trouble finding an answer via google, but is there any reason to play the game on hard vs easy? As far as I can tell there is no achievement/trophy linked to difficulty, but I was unsure if there were different endings.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
No there's not but I still found Hard to be way too drat easy in combat so if you're looking for even a slight challenge go there.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

Who Dat posted:

I'm just starting the game, and I had trouble finding an answer via google, but is there any reason to play the game on hard vs easy? As far as I can tell there is no achievement/trophy linked to difficulty, but I was unsure if there were different endings.

Echoing Yodzilla. Tomb Raider isn't an especially hard game. For my part, I mostly play games in a casual manner, but it *is* worth playing TR on Hard just to push you to be a little bit more invested in the mechanics, and tactics in general. Edit: That said, I think the combat in this game is fantastic, and wish I'd done my first playthrough on hard rather than normal. You can only play it the first time once, after all.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Yeah the combat is fantastic but you're so overpowered for 75% of the game that you have to pretty much try to get yourself killed even on Hard. Even without using the multitude of guns you can one-shot almost everything with the bow & arrow with ease and then there's the melee abilities.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
I seriously wish there was a NG+ where I could do a dodge-only run.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

Yodzilla posted:

Yeah the combat is fantastic but you're so overpowered for 75% of the game that you have to pretty much try to get yourself killed even on Hard. Even without using the multitude of guns you can one-shot almost everything with the bow & arrow with ease and then there's the melee abilities.

Yeah, in a recent 'no guns' run I was thinking the game would have benefitted from an additional difficulty tier (as opposed to rebalancing the existing tiers). Lets call it 'survivor' or something. Have Lara be appropriately vulnerable to attacks, tweak the health mechanics, have some resource scarcity going on, etc.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

And a NG+ where the Croftian Horror washes up on Crazy Merc Island and terrorizes the locals :unsmigghh:

I love the AI freaking out when you get a new bigger and boomier weapon.

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

:neckbeard: :woop: :downsbravo: :slick:
Thanks for the replies. Good to know as I'm playing on Hard anyway.

As a rule of thumb I play any game with a difficulty setting on hard, especially if there's an achievement. I find it teaches you respect for the mechanics. Unless it's something like rockband, where dexterity and muscle memory are something you work up to.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

superh posted:

I seriously wish there was a NG+ where I could do a dodge-only run.

I wish there was a new game+ so I wouldn't have to bother with opening every single crate for gun upgrades.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Who Dat posted:

Isn't the Definitive Edition just the console version with the PC TressFX option?

I'd say play on easy, because most of the fun of the game is exploring the areas, taking in the sights, and searching for collectibles. Combat its meh-okay and feels out of place at a lot of points.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

pentyne posted:

Isn't the Definitive Edition just the console version with the PC TressFX option?

I'd say play on easy, because most of the fun of the game is exploring the areas, taking in the sights, and searching for collectibles. Combat its meh-okay and feels out of place at a lot of points.

There's a couple of additional lighting and graphical effects, along with a few next-gen hardware features and whatnot. Plus the new face render, which is actually pretty nice when you're not just watching a comparison screenshot.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Yeah, I thought the new face render looked really naff in the preview stuff but fantastic in-game.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Renoistic posted:

Don't forget to check the journal after beating the game!

I uninstalled the game already, since I finished it. What did the journal say? :(

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

pentyne posted:

Actually on PS4 it has most of the PC improvements, a new face render, and a better framerate but does NOT have TressFX.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx

Neo Rasa posted:

Actually on PS4 it has most of the PC improvements, a new face render, and a better framerate but does NOT have TressFX.

It does.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Well, now the sequel has been announced. Not much info yet, beyond a CG trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDUwiu4tmtg

Still, I really look forward to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
"I think you're closing yourself off at home," he observantly said to the woman with a hood pulled over her head indoors.

• Locked thread