Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Hakkesshu posted:

I don't think the new game is even meant to be part of the same continuity.

Pretty much.

I think this series has had two of these, one the original series which was rebooted with Legends (and Anniversary) and now with this new one.

I still feel Legends - Anniversary - Underworld had a lot of potential still, but I kinda like the direction this one was going, at least before all the gore stuff.

My favorite thing about the first Tomb Raider was how few people you had to kill. This game seems to gorge on murder/death, which is a bit distressing to see. It doesn't completely turn me off from the game, but it feels like it is hampering its own potential by appealing to the lowest common denominator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I think his summary is pretty apt for why I still play video games.

"It's just like high school all over again."

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
With the new consoles coming out, it was about time to upgrade for me, anyway.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I really wish this game had taken a few more risks.

Like discourage the player from killing, ever.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Dominic White posted:

I think it needs to be highlighted that this is meant to be an origin story, so while the start is 'Lara Croft, terrified archaeology student', the end result is going to be something more familiar, along the lines of 'Raids tombs, shoots fools, pisses off ancient cosmic evils and gives no fucks'. Y'know, how she always used to be.

Batman Begins might have had a somewhat darker, more human point of origin, but we still ended up with Batman by the end.

I really like it when games take risks these days. XCOM was a pretty big risk. Kickstarters are all different types of risks.

When I first saw Tomb Raider last year or so, I thought "here comes a risky reinterpretation of an age-old classic!" I was actually very happy and anticipating. Then people started circulating the whole "this game has a death fetish" and I still said "well, I don't care about that, I like how Lara goes from being a prettied up princess to a badass and the visual feel they are going for, which is less than pretty smooth skin" and I kinda hoped it was merely an accidental representation.

Well, I feel I don't have a problem with the Lara death scenes still, because you are in control of trying to avoid them, but all the killing... I won't know until I play it myself, but if it is completely impossible to avoid killing every last one of these guards, it'll just feel a bit disconnected.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Control Volume posted:

Well that is good, that the gameplay is good, in my opinion.

Just a thought from this, we're far past the point where gameplay is the only defining factor for ones enjoyment of a game.

Presentation and themes are important and this game carries some pretty significant split themes.

Lara's death scenes wouldn't be out of the question for a slasher fiction game, which we have surprisingly few (many?) of, but it doesn't seem to be the right genre for such a focus on them. It might be time to really put down the claim that "it's just a game" and think about if this is really fine, having the categories bleed over or letting the industry treat our gaming icons this way.

I've always dismissed it in the past, mostly because I didn't think we'd ever get to this point.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

ZeeBoi posted:

This is why most games don't have a female lead: insufferable nerds complaining about misogyny, sexism, etc.

Get a life.
Phew. For a second, I thought it was because it was difficult for men to project their fantasies into a female character they play as. But nope, dumb nerds arguing is why.

Dan Didio posted:

I think the problem with Uncharted isn't that Drake kills a lot of people, it's that Drake kills a lot of people at once in ways that are pretty unbecoming, and tonally distant from, the archetype he belongs to.

You rarely see Indiana Jones sneaking up on a guy and breaking his neck, for example. It's hard to sell plucky wise-rear end when you also have to explain away the fact that technically, he's a murderer.
You know, this really bugs me. Why *isn't* this how we get the games to go? Why do bullets in games need to kill? Why do we need to reward headshots? These old adventuring flicks are what they try to play up to, but they seem bent on amping it up by making everything brutal and lethal. Wouldn't it be better to study what Indiana Jones did in movie X and have the player reenact his stunts instead?

Maybe that's me just thinking out loud.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I kinda liked all of them, mostly because I remembered how bad Tomb Raider used to be. After TR2, that is.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I don't think Tomb Raiders main selling point of setting was ever really "tombs". None of it has really been all about raiding tombs. It had a female protagonist on adventures a lot like Indiana Jones. That's why I play the games. The actual tombs are really nothing to me than brand recognition.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
The way I see it, review scores are meaningless and they should just give the highest possible to make a mockery of the industry not paying its developers.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I really want QTEs to just die.

They are such a crutch mechanic and they ruin every game that have them for me. Come on developers, make your game intuitive, don't make me push buttons like I'm playing a different game. Do good design and you won't have to do Simon Says.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Mazed posted:

They can stay if they stop using them as "press button not to die" bullshit.

They're fine if they're for some big climactic thing where you pull off something awesome. Only examples I can think of are from the earlier God of War games. There's a sense of payoff there, rather than the game trying to feed you a cheap, underhanded "gotcha!" moment.

I honestly don't like them even then, because they ask the player to do perform some instructions presented on the screen instead of acting intuitively with the control scheme already established.

It causes a weird dissonance where in one second you are playing a game where you are just finally getting immersed and then suddenly they ask you to play this other game, which is Dance Dance Revolution before you can continue playing that other game.

I will admit, some of the set-pieces, like climbing rapidly up an incline while water is running down and your struggling in mud would be difficult if not impossible to do with any other control-scheme, but I still don't feel like that should be the focus. It's lazy design.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Actually, I would rather it just be a cut-scene, because then I'd at least have an opportunity to take a breather.

I'll concede that this game does some QTE's really well, but I still find QTEs to break the flow of what I am doing. And yes I feel there is a disconnect, because I go from having my entire controller mattering to one button. I go from being in control to having to put in an input. If that is "right", then I'd rather be "wrong".

If I cannot intuit what I should do, but have to be told, then something is terribly wrong with your game, is my perspective on it.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
From what I can tell (I'm pretty early on) it's QTE heavy in the start, but it gets less and less and more and more gameplay the further along you get. And there's a good size of the game with hidden nooks and crannies so it really seems to really give you an urge to come back later and explore.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I found the transition much smoother because I got so into the game that I couldn't aim for poo poo, so the first guys I had to free-kill I basically missed over and over, basically just firing to drive them into cover, while they are shocked I have a gun.

I think maybe the biggest disconnect people experience might be connected to that they are too good at games.

EDIT: I'm not saying that's wrong way to play it or anything, just that I got squeemish about shooting people in the game and it translated pretty well with how the AI reacts to me.

Mordaedil fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Mar 8, 2013

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Fonzarelli posted:

I always felt that Uncharted rook place in some type of parallel adventurer universe where occasionally you've just gotta blast 500 mooks and its not that big of a deal.

Most of the movie industry seems to exist there, so I guess it's Hollywood?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I don't think the story is a big of a problem as the gameplay is.

I can assume they had fewer enemies before, but that it felt so "good" to pull off the killing moves and stuff that they increased it to the point where it is at.

Or that the story never wanted to coincide with the murder of hundreds of people, whatever.

What happened to "nothing more to say on this matter"?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Electromax posted:

Well, yeah. Games are escapism. Outside Tetris and, I dunno, Heavy Rain most games are around letting you be someone you can't be in real life and defeating your obstacles. Power fantasy is just a term, it doesn't mean it has to specifically be revenge or female empowerment or whatever. I just consider it a broad concept that puts someone without those abilities (the gamer) in a position to win with them. Not "literally everything" but most modern games. See also comic books, Harry Potter, Twilight, Dragonball, 24... Just my opinion.

:allears: Precious.

If a term applies to everything, then it kinda loses its meaning and then it doesn't really work for an argument however.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
It would be nice if you could carry a discussion without using "It's my opinion" cop-out for an argument and then pick up your ball and go home, because it's almost as if we didn't know that your post just represented your opinion or something, or by goodness would ask you to argue in favor of your opinion.

It's not that I can't see all games as some sort of "power fantasy", it's just that the term looses its meaning if every candidate meets the criteria for it and it becomes synonymous with the previous term. Unless you assign clear lines in how it differs from other products, it is entirely meaningless as a term.

"Games are escapism" however isn't something I disagree with, and escapism is synonymous with video games. But is "power fantasy"? I don't think so, as not everyone plays games in a manner that allow them to meet the criteria for the term.

I will agree that a lot of games fall into the category to the point where you could get confused and think it synonymous, however.

And that is my opinion, but you don't need me to tell you that.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

ethanol posted:

Excuse me for having no clue what you guys are on about, but isn't it wonderful when a zelda-esq game is done well on the PC? I'm really enjoying the game so far . I'm curious if there are any other zelda like games out for pc?

I didn't think of it like that, but I'd probably give it this over Darksiders.

But I don't think it's quite Zelda-like. It's a tough feeling to nail down.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

DrNutt posted:

These were by far the easiest QTEs I've ever encountered in a game, period. I don't think I died to a single one. But then again, I was using a 360 controller and it sounds like a lot of the frustrated people in this thread were using mouse and keyboard.

I'll admit, these were some easy-rear end QTE's, but I still feel they break the flow of certain cut-scenes.

I don't mind most of them, honestly, but sometimes a prompt on the screen feels like it distracts me from what I am watching or doing in-game.

It kinda comes back to how the intro stage in Mega Man X was so brilliant. It didn't have a QTE for getting out of the ditch or prompt you with a pop-up telling you how charge up your buster. (which is something that Metroid: Other M did, Jesus Christ)

I get that they sometimes need to give the player the feeling that they are still interacting with the game, but sometimes modesty is the better part of gameplay.

At least the previous Tomb Raiders used QTE's sparingly, even if they were still jarring.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Even more ridiculous is that both keys are tied to "E" and "F", so even if they showed the actual buttons, at a quick glance, you could still mess it up in the haste of things.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

notZaar posted:

Maybe when they planned those it was going to be a bow only game? The combat certainly has a different flavor to it if you never use the other guns.

It would fit in with the feeling we've had that the amount of enemies were ramped up for fun factor.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

"Was Papa Croft actually Wolverine?"

This would be really amazing though.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Alteisen posted:

I want it to sell tons just so we can out of this "female characters" don't sell horseshit.

This has never happened before, I don't see it happening now either, even if games with female protagonists have sold really well in the past.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

DrunkPanda posted:

This is the first Tomb Raider game I've ever played and I loved it so much I immediately bought the Tomb Raider trilogy, as soon as I completed this game. But I'm about an hour into Tomb Raider anniversary and so far I'm pretty disappointed. I heard they majorly overhauled the graphics and I was expecting the game to look like a ps3 game. But it really looks like a PS2 game. So far it's pretty dull, does it get better?

It was overhauled from a PS1 game.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Angel of Darkness also had really, really lovely controls, because they were held over from the previous games and somehow worked even less.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

DrNutt posted:

Even if the first character model to unlock is "Innocent Lara."

I realize it is thematically appropriate with the game and character, but just once would I like to see how well this would translate to a game with a male protagonist.

"Innocent Nathan".

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Renoistic posted:

I wonder how many people who don't actually speak the language will still buy this because it "sounds better".

Probably every worst people out there, but it's a thing, because for Japanese voice-casts the VO's behind the job tend to be very important for whether or not a large portion of weeaboos care. Is the Japanese voicepack voiced by any celebrities?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Hair physics are *really* hard to pull off well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Palpek posted:

Good news - Square Enix announced lately that despite the fact that Tomb Raider, Sleeping Dogs and Hitman didn't make big profits for the company (Square claims they broke even with the development costs) - they're all getting sequels and the company just has to rethink their promotion and pricing policies.

I am glad they see reason, at least. I enjoyed most of these titles or at least have them on my watch list.

• Locked thread