Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I guess I was liking the wrong things in Tomb Raider because so far this game is completely disappointing to me. Not only is the whole "Lara is weak, Lara almost dies, Lara keeps getting hurt" plot not doing anything for me, the QTEs actively piss me off and with all the collectibles and "survival instinct" I'm having bad Batman/Dishonored flashbacks (as in I spend a significant amount of time in false-color mode just to find stuff).

I can see how people who wanted more Uncharted in their Tomb Raider would like it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
So far the only way the game can kill me is with QTEs and it's getting really old and to me it undermines the whole point about "protecting" Lara and her getting through tough poo poo to emerge stronger.

The combination of a) QTEs being freaking everywhere and them being b) timed while c) hiding the buttons for a while and d) using abstract icons instead of the key to be used, it's making me so mad at video games.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

Played about 6 hours yesterday and holy poo poo the game feels super mean towards Lara. Otherwise I really like how they differentiated it from Uncharted. Its pretty obvious where inspiration came from, but I think it works well together.

Also I can't not hear her as luanne from king of the hill but british.

EDIT: Also I'm suprised that (beginning spoilers) they don't make you find medical supplies to patch the rebar hole in her side. I never saw her bandage it and she just kinda starts ignoring it.
Really? I constantly got Uncharted (2) flashbacks from this game, right down to certain level aesthetics.

The whole plot started to annoy me halfway through the game, survivor story or not this game eventually made me want to skip all the "Lara in pain, take 50" cutscenes.

Also QTEs, there are basically two kinds in this game, the ones you often do twice because the timed prompts (especially with the PC prompts) come out of left field and make no sense, and those which shouldn't be cutscenes with QTEs in the first place (using your melee, use, whatever skills to beat someone up, interact with the environment etc.), especially since 90% of the time the only point of the latter seems to be beating Lara up some more.

I have no problems with sequences in which normal gameplay flows into a scripted sequence and you use your usual controls to get through (moving left/right, shooting barricades, jumping etc.) although some of them are kind of pointless, eg. when all you do is hold "forward" to move Lara through a place with custom camera angles which could as well be non-interactive.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Adraeus posted:

I really like and enjoy this game, but I was disappointed that they didn't stick to the premise. Lara becomes a super ninja killer way too fast. I thought the reviewers were just playing that way, but no, there are few opportunities to avoid imitating Nathan Drake. I would have preferred more stealth gameplay for this reboot. Hunting is also a bit pointless beyond a certain point a la Far Cry 3. And although I generally hate QTEs, I'm all right with the QTEs in Tomb Raider. On the PC though, I'd prefer to see graphics for the keys.
I think it would have helped to have (way) less combat in the first place. The amount of bad guys young Lara kills is completely dumb. The best part, as many have mentioned before, is that Gameplay Lara is a super ninja killer within half an hour into the game, but Cutscene Lara acts like this is not the case for most of the game. Even the enemies figure out they're dealing with a cold blooded killer pretty quickly.

Regarding hunting, I was wondering if they had different plans for that. It seems pointless immediately after your first plot-mandated deer kill. I seem to get more than enough XP from picking up the thousands of doodads and killing enemies. And while salvage is welcome in the beginning, by the time I reached Shantytown I had way more salvage than available gear upgrades (because further upgrades were all gated by plot or weapon parts).

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Dan Didio posted:

All pre-order/DLC.
Bleh :(

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
"Oh poo poo she has a grenade launcher"

Proceed with standard tactics of shooting/throwing stuff from behind cover. Okay.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
The upgrade note shows up if you get near the metal wall in the back, I actually didn't return there with the grenade launcher because you can get to the tomb's treasure chest without any tools.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
She's only an unlikely badass as long as you're controlling her.

Lothire posted:

Well, I got really sick of those gasp noises. Really sick. It's clear they are trying to approach this from a novice adventurer point of view, but it felt like they made her overly incompetent. She can hardly walk a straight line without tripping some or bumping into something, gasping like a fish out of water the entire time. The amount of beating she takes is disturbing. I realize we're suppose to be seeing someone who hardens up, but I wouldn't even be comfortable seeing Kratos take this kind of rear end whoopin'. They made her seem too fragile, like she isn't getting any better at this crap despite shrugging off some very intense wounds (in some cases, literally ignoring real life death sentence injuries). I know, "you will want to protect her!" business. Whatever. It doesn't make for a fun game or an attractive heroine. Tomb Raider: Lara Croft's Totally Bogus Adventure.
I started skipping cutscenes after a while, otherwise I would have stopped playing too. Personally I think the amount of injuries and pain they make Lara go through in cutscenes (together with the gasping, panting, whimpering and whatnot) is total bullshit.

Reveilled posted:

Admittedly I only played the first few games, but this game definitely feels more like a straight reboot that throws out the old games rather than an origin story. It has been years and years since I played the original Tomb Raider, but I don't remember Lara Croft being a stone cold murder machine. I don't even remember there being that many human mobs (as opposed to human antagonists), mostly animals and mutants.

It's a really good action game, but the fact that I'm killing a shitload of people and not really solving puzzles very often means it doesn't really feel like a Tomb Raider game, and I hope if there's a sequel they're not planning to just turn it into a shooter franchise.
This is mostly how I feel. Except for the dissonance between Cutscene Lara and Gameplay Lara, as a third person action game Tomb Raider (2013) is good. As a Tomb Raider game however I consider it an abject failure. Don't get me wrong, making TR combat better isn't a bad thing, but I'm afraid they overdid it with making combat the main point of the tranchise from this point onwards.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Belan posted:

I had no idea this game had a blood on the screen effect before, thanks patch!
Being no fan of these stuff-on-camera-lens effects in games nowadays, I liked that lack of blood :)

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Aren't the majority of these preorder bonuses of some kind anyway? So the "substantial" tomb isn't even new (nor really substantial, it's just like all the other one-room-one-puzzle tombs).

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

ImpAtom posted:

What are the extra costumes anyway?
Hunter skin is a mud-covered variant of the default outfit:

Aviatrix leather jacket:

Guerrilla vest:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Palpek posted:

And I don't. This game was better than Anniversary/Legend/Underworld trilogy. I hope the sequel is in the same vein.
That is good for you. On the other hand there is already about a million third person cover shooters you can play and I'd like to keep raiding tombs instead of shooting lots of men at least in one game. To me, as a cover shooter Tomb Raider 2013 was better, but as a "tomb raider" game it really wasn't.

• Locked thread