Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

TG-Chrono posted:

I backed Monte Cook's Numenera PnP kickstarter, not for the rules, but because the setting was basically Dying Earth/Book of the New Sun the game. That made me all tingly to begin with. Then I found out there was going to be a CRPG made using the Numenera setting, I became doubly tingly. Then I found out it was going to be a homage/continuation of PS:Torment and I think I had a stroke.

I'm being optimistic because it's too drat easy to be negative. Along with Project Eternity, fantasy that I might actually give a poo poo about, exploring themes is an engrossing way, is being made and I'm rapt.

You know, when you put it like this, it's making me an awful lot more excited than I was before.

I'll back this accordingly with how clever Brian Fargo is with setting things up with the Kickstarter.

That is to say if he does it on the same day as they release Wasteland 2, I'll give bare minimum. If he does it after Wasteland 2 starts getting reviews, I'll increase pledge. If he manages to hype it as much as Obsidian hyped up Project:Eternity, I'll probably give a ton again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
As someone who hasn't played Torment (very far), both those lines strike me as equally full of depth.

But from what I understand, it's what Chris Avellone did with the question that turned out interesting and I can see the same in the former. Neither are more personal than the other. Maybe "What is one life worth" is referencing your own life and big idea is that you consider yourself worthless for most part of the game, until you come to realize exactly what hinges on your staying alive.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/ChrisAvellone/status/305859371286528001

Chris really wants you to believe in this.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

CrookedB posted:

Funnily, that means it'll probably coincide with the reveal of Richard Garriott's mystery project, also rumored to be a Kickstarter.

:catstare:

Yes!

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Megazver posted:

So you're playing a creepy-rear end undead again? Huh.

Possibly a golem. At least something resembling a vessel for a soul that has earned sentience.

Sounds cool, but I wonder if that means we're locked in character generation to a specific gender again.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I admit, I was going to take a wait-and-see stance, but when I saw there were only less than 2000 slots left on the 20 USD basic tier, I just had to go right then and there.

Opposite. They have spent 2000 slots and have 13000 left.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I would have thought that pitch video to be truly awful, if not every thing in that video was an actual thing that happened (except the publisher being an actual kid, but I guess Brian Fargo just wanted the message conveyed that he's feeling old compared to the publishers out there now)

Like, a publisher wanting to cash-in on Kickstarter or never having heard of PlaneScape: Torment or the "sure, we'll license you now" pitch all have happened in real life in the last couple of months.

I think that's more embarrassing than the video, honestly.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I am glad to be wrong, honestly.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
If you own anything D&D, odds are his name might be in or on the book, depending.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Schurik posted:

Jesus Christ I think I'm beginning to understand Fargo's frustration a bit better.

If that hadn't happened, I would probably have been disgusted with Fargo's videos too.

As they have, I find I can't fault him for being so anti-publishers.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Thankfully, both NWN and Pathfinder both fixed toughness and made it a very good feat.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Darkhold posted:

Truth be told I don't have a huge problem with 'toughness' it's not like it's the only crappy skill in 2.5 D&D. Admittedly most of my exposure was through NWN2 but there were tons of things that could screw your character much worse. Also tons of things that would let you horribly break the game over your knee (my personal crazy build).

Toughness in NWN and NWN2 was significantly better than its PnP equivalent that Monte Cook made. In NWN/NWN2 it was 1 hit point per level. In Pen and paper, it was 3HP. Not per level, just 3 extra hit points with nothing else.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
To be fair, NWN1 had a really good multiplayer component, easy-to-use toolset and a lovely DM client that made it easy, accessible and almost as fun as playing PnP to play with and the successive versions weren't as... Accessible or fun. :smith:

And it's a decade old now.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, nobody played Diablo 2 in multiplayer...

Also, I primarily played Baldur's Gate with friends. I didn't enjoy it as much in singleplayer.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Twee as gently caress posted:

Really? You might genuinely be the first person I've ever seen saying that.

Look, I might be wrong, but in my personal experience those games are always about singeplayer not multiplayer, for those around me at least.

It was pretty buggy, difficult to set up, but once you hit a certain stride, it's amazingly fun.

Just gotta be careful with how you handle pausing.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

CottonWolf posted:

If you pause, does that pause for everyone? RTwP doesn't really sound like the ideal system for a multiplayer game...

Of course it pauses for everyone.

Yes, it isn't ideal, but it's mostly the mage who needs to use the pause function for shifting through his spell list anyway, the cleric can at least prepare most of his "ohfuck" spells on the go and the fighter never needs to pause to do his job.

An added benefit is that you can assign pausing to a single person.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

FRINGE posted:

1) Diablo by comparison was an unchanging story-less grind.

2) Youre in small company around here I think. :)

"As much" being emphasized here.

But then again, I tend to find most games more enjoyable with friends.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Or maybe...

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

I SAID LISTEN posted:

I think they should do a followup video of Colin McComb and Chris Avellone discussing elves.

JE. Sawyer for good measure?

EDIT: Image problems.

Mordaedil fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Mar 12, 2013

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Darkhold posted:

Yeah they really were shooting for a humorous bloated ego type humour that someone like Phil Hartman would have crushed. They just really really failed the execution.

I'd never even heard of this book until this thread so I have no personal feelings about it but that video was just cringe worthy.

I felt the same up until the point where he asked DM's out there to take more control of their table and don't allow splatbooks that they feel unbalance their games.

Then I thought "you'd really want every player to play an elf, if you're going to have the Complete guide to elves at the table."

I still think other books have worse things than unbalanced elves in D&D though. Such as "Toughness".

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
From reading his posts on TG, he doesn't seem like the kind of person who would do so sincerely. I assume it's a joke post in kind to how lacking of seriousness the video had in offering an apology.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Quarex posted:

I would like to come to Mordaedil's defense a page late and say that Baldur's Gate multiplayer was, at times, just as much fun or perhaps moreso than the normal game, even though overall I do not think there is any way it could compare. But I also only ever played it multiplayer on a LAN, for four days straight, with three of my best friends, and by about day three we were saving every time the "main character" got awarded a new supernatural ability so we could horribly 3-on-one murder him as punishment for his divine status. Plus every time someone started reading the quest text out loud in a funny voice after about 4 A.M. it was inescapably funny.

This is basically what we did too, but I can see it not being everyone else's speed.

It's also how we got through NWN1, but NWN2 had a bit too many hurdles for us to fully enjoy it anymore.

I'm not gonna say I didn't enjoy playing BG singleplayer, but well... I can't say I fell out of my chair laughing.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
They still need to re-release books of AD&D 2, like they've made for AD&D 1 and D&D 3.5.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
poo poo just got serious.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Merry Magpie posted:

Well-played, Mr. Fargo.

Great avatar/post combo.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I'l already at the "Avellone tier" I had set for myself for some reason. Might have been his "thumbs-up" video.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Exercu posted:

And exhumed Tolkien.

"A new character written entirely by JRR Tolkien! By which I mean we propped up his skeleton and moved his arm to write the story for him."

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Brother None posted:

That was the idea at that point. Brian kept going at it but I think at that point we thought the possibility was dead. But they kept talking about it and he found a way to make it work with PE and his obligations to Obsidian and still contribute in a significant manner. It's pretty exciting!

That seems to be the most commonly cited criticism. He's not really involved with the writing of the "hero" for this game tho', so...

This is pretty much gold! Awesome news Brother None. :)

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

PurplieNurplie posted:

Hey, I posted an idea about toggling interactible items on-screen. Go vote for it if you want something like this in the game!

Given that even the infinity engine games had a high-light button, this seems kinda superfluous of an "game idea".

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Huh.

And I thought it was a reference to how this will be the second torment game as well as the second Kickstarter project InXile is working on at the same time as another (namely Wasteland 2).

I guess it can be interpreted three ways then.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Oasx posted:

The time limit in Fallout completely ruined the game, but while i am not fond of the game urging you to move on, it doesn't sound anywhere near as bad as Fallout 1, so it should be fine.

Huh? The time limit in Fallout 1 was pretty generous and you could essentially "trade time" between the first half and second half, albeit the trade-off wasn't big exactly equal, it was probably the best timed quest in video game history.

Just a shame that you couldn't keep playing after resolving all the issues.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Chairchucker posted:

Is that like how herpes is a better infection to catch than HIV?

What an awful, tasteless joke.

I love time quests done well, it's just most games can't seem to do them right anymore and they serve better as the overarching plot than single-instance quests.

Maybe I'd get excited over the impending doom in Dragon Age if I had a limited amount of time to gather my allies. But then have time only be consumed when I changed areas on the overworld map. And then give me plenty of it instead of giving me a tight budget so I only get to see half the game before the end game.

I hate being lulled into a false sense of security, but fallout managed to make the time ticking down very much in-your-face, so you can't forget about it and count the days down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

CottonWolf posted:

That's a cool idea. But doesn't Nintendo own the patent for sanity based mechanics in games or something like that? I swear it was a hold over from the Eternal Darkness days.

I do believe Amnesia had a sanity meter.

And the table-top version of Call of Cthulhu.

• Locked thread