Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Ddraig posted:

Planescape is a really cool setting that was mostly neglected, but I really, really hope this isn't a continuation of The Nameless One's story (the Torment part seems to imply this is so, though) because that's a story that doesn't really need to be told. PS:T wrapped it up perfectly.

It's set in a completely different universe. It's a spiritual sequel only, so no worries there.

...What does worry me is that that the backer exclusive game content is doing so well on their voting thingy. It's just preorder bonuses in another guise, and it screws over people who for whatever reason couldn't get into the kickstarter campaign. Especially when they're talking about whole areas or companions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Brother None, I assume that you're planning to get this underway reasonably soon you'll be reusing the W2 engine? If that's the case, does that mean that you're intending to go turn based with this too? Or is the plan real time with pause, like Planescape?

I don't really have a horse in the race either way, they both have advantages, I'm just kinda fishing for information.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Brother None posted:

We're using Unity again, yes. And adapt a lot of the Obsidian tools and other things we made for the engine. That said, it's a different game and it has different goals. We'll look to do things different graphically (hopefully do 2D, but that depends on funding). As for combat, well, this is gonna sound a little odd, but we basically have a list of goals for a combat system, when it comes to character customization and choice, density of encounters (combat will be rare but interesting), etc., and we've been designing different possible systems of it, RTwP and TB and possibly a third. We probably won't pick one prior to the Kickstarter, since we have a nice long preorder period to decide, so we can instead take our time to ask our backers what they prefer and move on from there, post-funding.

Huh. That's not the answer I was expecting. Tailoring the system to what works for the game when you've got more nailed down. I guess that makes sense as a strategy. Thanks.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Adraeus posted:

inXile's claim that this game will "continue the thematic legacy" of Planescape: Torment would be like Pete Best claiming that his next solo album will "continue the thematic legacy" of The Beatles because his songs will cover the same themes of love and politics.

I don't know that I'd say that he wasn't entitled to do that if the works were close enough. When The Smiths broke up, and Morrissey started doing solo work about loneliness and politics, I'd definitely say he was "continuing the thematic legacy" of The Smiths.

So if you have a clear thematic link (be that reincarnation, self-discovery, whatever) and some of the original team, I think you're totally allowed to say that what you're making is a thematic sequel to one of your previous games, and use similar branding. Whether or not they live up to the name, we'll see further down the line, but I think they have a perfectly good claim to it.

EDIT: I had a complete brain fail there and forgot that Best wasn't one of the Beatles proper, but I still think my Morrissey example makes my point.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Feb 27, 2013

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Seems a reasonable list of tiers. Pretty similar to what Project Eternity did, as I remember it. If that ends up being what they put up finally and their pitch is good enough, I'd be pretty tempted to jump on at $75. which is more than double I thought I would be in for. So job done on their part, I guess.

Weird that they have limited numbers of tiers which don't have any physical rewards though. I guess digital scarcity for marketing purposes is a thing now.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Fargo's twitter has been strongly hinting that the Kickstarter will be happening at some point this week. Or maybe there's some other big RPG announcement coming next week that Fargo knows about, and being really dense. Both are possibilities!

EDIT: I meant that I was being really dense, not Fargo. Typing after drinking is a bad idea!

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Mar 4, 2013

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Great Rumbler posted:

I think a short story or novella would be the best way to go here. Maybe 40-50 pages, introduce the world and some locations, touch on some of the major themes, and the like. It could focus on a minor character who appears briefly in the game or maybe not appear in the game at all, just create a brand new character and carry them through the arc of their own personal story. That way, you don't have to worry about spoiling part of the game or trying to properly present a slice of the game story that's devoid of its context. The story story itself would the context, since it would be self-contained.

Monte Cook's Numenera website has a short story that introduces the setting up on it. It's here. Not exactly what you were looking for, but it might give you a feel for the world.

I imagine it's pretty unlikely the Kickstarter page will link to it though.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

This madness! I went out shopping and by the time I got back not only was the Kickstarter halfway there, but all the earlybird boxes had gone. I jumped in and grabbed one when someone moved off, but hell, this is going insanely fast. Congrats Brother None!

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

And... Funded!

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Wildtortilla posted:

I don't see any reason to be anything but pumped to play these games. This afternoon I added WASTELAND 2 and TORMENT to my Google Calendar on their estimated completion dates. gently caress the skeptics, I want to play some modern old school RPGs.

I'm as excited as you, but I fully expect Torment to be pushed back into 2015. With the amount of money over their goal that they're going to make, it'd be drat impressive if they got it out by the predicted date.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

That's exactly my position. Post-apocalyptic wasteland is pretty generic as settings go. Whereas Planescape, and by the look of the concept art, Numenera too, are both to some degree carried by their setting and atmosphere.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Or we're just going to get a post with Fargo listing all the stretch goals we've already met, one after another. They might have doubled their initial target by the time it goes up.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Quarex posted:

While it is exciting that we have reached an era in gaming where "post-apocalyptic wasteland" is generic as a setting, a sequel to the first RPG that used that as a setting probably deserves a little leeway, surely?

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'll probably pick Wasteland up when it comes out. I'm sure (I hope) that it'll be a good game. But it's got to the point where I'm not willing throw money at traditional post apocalyptic games on faith.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

a slim pixie posted:

Kevin Saunders mentioned in this Formspring response that they didn't have a specific player gender in mind and would have left it up to the backers had they not reached their goal.

So it would have been a male. Basically. Unless they'd offered some sort of weird option, like asexual or something. Be a being that was created without gender. That'd actually be pretty cool, and might have been different enough to have won some votes.

But now it's male and female, so dinnae matter anyway!

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

They've got 12 minutes to get $94,000. Not going to happen, unfortunately.

That said, I'm pretty sure they've done infinitely better than anyone in this thread expected them to. Only nearly doubling your goal in 24 hours is still amazing.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

That's why I question the wisdom of letting the backers vote for anything, especially as something as big as the combat system. We (well the majority of us) don't make games. We don't know what's going to work best thematically. If they go that route, surely they're not getting freedom. Aren't they just trading one master for another?

If I'm honest, I'd much rather they just do what they think is best, then we can judge the product at the end. And if they do insist on putting stuff to a vote, I really hope 'do what you think is best' is an option.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Thrill Cosby posted:

...I don't think you'll have to worry about ponies or homestuck in your CRPG.

Hah. I hadn't quite envisioned it going that far. That would be the worst of all possible CRPG-based worlds.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Great Rumbler posted:

Fargo said during the Wasteland 2 Kickstarter that they're always willing to listen to their fans and even take their opinions into account, but that they've also got their own ideas about how to make the game and they're not necessarily just going to throw in everything that people want just to "appease" them.

That sounds reasonable. I'm probably just worrying over nothing.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Thrill Cosby posted:

I don't know if non-backers have access to the WL2 development forums, but if you can read them, you'll see there's plenty of horrible ideas that the team is ignoring; romancing children, nude codes, playable vampires, etc.

Yeah, I can get in. Presumably there's some backer only stuff I can't see, but, you're right, from what I saw it looked like they were handling dev/consumer interaction reasonably well.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

This update has made me all kinds of happy.

FRINGE posted:

For the people that dropped more than $100 for the physical tiers they should throw all of the digital novellas in just because.

Unless I'm misreading we do get them all?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I honestly think that there is no-one who dislikes George Ziets. I have never heard anyone complain about his work.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

LogicNinja posted:

An official apology from the author of the Complete Book of Elves.
This is the best stretch goal ever.

As someone who's exposure to D&D is entirely limited to CRPGs and thus doesn't know, was it really that unimaginably bad?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

LogicNinja posted:

Long version: http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?626446-Let-s-Read-The-Complete-Book-of-Elves
Short version: YES. And I say that as someone who's played a lot of elves.

Okay, I can see how that might be pretty bad.

theblackw0lf posted:

I am wondering how it's going to work with Ziets being on both Project Eternity and this one. Unless pre-production is wrapping up soon.

His formspring implies that his role will be relatively limited in Torment. But this did go up before he was announced as a stretch goal, so who knows?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

If they want to bring in some money from PnP fans (and especially those who were already in for the original Numenera kickstarter), they should get Monte to write another source book, about the Bloom or something equivalent that wasn't in the standard Numenera setting. Then offer that as a PDF or hardcover book to backers as an add-on (at a very slightly discounted price to what you'd buy it at when it comes out properly). The first tier with the corebook is full, so there's clearly some crossover.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Mar 8, 2013

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

01011001 posted:

Yeah. Word to the wise is roll whatever the closest thing to wizard is.

As I understand it, Nanos are basically Numenera's version of sci-fi wizards, Glaives are warriors and Jacks are rogues. But the playtest stuff that Monte has released publicly on his blog talks about Jacks wielding illusions, so I don't think it's as simple as 'only Nanos can use sci-fi magic'.

EDIT: And obviously, we have no idea how close the game is going to be to the PnP stuff. They seem to be going for the 'freely change your class' angle again, for example.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Mar 8, 2013

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

GetWellGamers posted:

Hmm... i wonder if they're not spreading their stretch goal tiers a little wide. Half a million a go i a *big* gap, and I remember with P:E there was a lot of excitement because every 100K brought, at the least, a new level in the endless dungeon, and then "major" additions were every 2-300K at most. Plus you could get levels from the facebook likes, and the overall effect was one of constant momentum-building because you'd get something new and exciting o a very frequent basis.

I imagine that'll be the goal of the Castoff's Labyrinth, when we reach it. They describe it as an 'ongoing stretch goal'. Hopefully they'll provide more detail on what exactly that means when we hit 2.5 million. Something megadungeon-esque perhaps?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Drifter posted:

It'd be kinda nice to not have your main seven stats in a game, for once.

PnP Numenera just has three: Might, Speed, and Intellect. But they're also replenishable consumable resources that you use to make actions easier, so I doubt that will carry over to the game. It will be a very unique CRPG system if that system somehow does though.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

That sounds awesome. I'd always thought that I'd never play another Baldur's Gate game if they made one, just because I'm personally done with that story, but that sounds different enough to actually be interesting.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Furism posted:

Same for the t-shirts, I'd like to check out their design before paying for one.

Apparently there are three to choose from, so probably one would be to my taste, but, I agree, I'm loath to throw down money for a t-shirt I've not seen. Same for the posters.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Scroll down to the Add-ons section. They're there. There's more detail on the tumblr page too. Posters and t-shirts are only available as add-ons to physical tiers though.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Update!

inXile posted:

Hi Forgotten Ones,

I hope you had an excellent weekend.

TL;DR: More about Numenera’s setting and game rules, with video by Monte. Further explanation of Stretch Goals and funding, and what your support is making possible. Our basic plans for dialogue and companions. Unbranded wallpapers.

Numenera and the Ninth World

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnciHOCVVdw

In this video, Monte talks about Numenera and its emphasis on mystery and discovery. He describes the Ninth World and in particular the Beyond (the region in which much of Torment will take place). Monte also talks about the basics of character creation for the tabletop game, including the three primary character types (classes), descriptors, and foci. (We’ll discuss this more in a later update, but for now know that all three character types (Glaives, Jacks, and Nanos) will be options for your PC in Torment, and that you will have (or acquire) a descriptor and focus as well.)

We are embracing the wonder and mystery of the Ninth World and it perfectly fits our goals for Torment. In some ways, Numenera iterates upon design philosophies behind Planescape™, which both Colin and Monte played key roles in creating. Monte notes: “One of the things I loved about Planescape™ was the wild imagination and the pushing the envelope – we could really do anything we wanted to, go anywhere our imaginations took us. And I wanted to achieve the same thing with Numenera.”

A key philosophy behind Monte’s new game is to allow game masters (GMs) a great degree of flexibility. Numenera provides a versatile framework within which we can play. This flexibility extends beyond the creative vision and the setting and into the game rules systems. Numenera’s rules are designed to support the narrative and creative elements of role-playing, being streamlined both to provide great variety in character customization and to keep a desirable pace for the gameplay and story. With a computer role-playing game, we can emphasize story-telling while having a more complex system underneath the hood than would be desired for a tabletop game. Because computer games are capable of intricate calculations that would take a living person much more time to complete, we're able to do create these new systems without impeding the flow of the game. Our close collaboration with Monte, means we quickly receive his feedback on our new systems. (How much of the complexity you peer into while playing will depend on your preferences – we will leverage the highly customizable user interface and extensive options system that we’ve developed for Wasteland 2 for this purpose).

One example of our extending upon the Numenera rules for Torment is our Legacy System, which along with the Tides, is not part of the core Numenera game. They are elements that inXile has designed specifically for this computer game to achieve our vision for Torment. We’ve discussed the Tides with Monte to ensure they fit well within the Ninth World, and he’s given us ideas about how to even better embrace the concept within the story and setting. As another example, we intend for Torment’s combat system to include more complexity than the core Numenera rules. One of the reasons we chose the Ninth World setting, and the Numenera rules, is because it provides an excellent foundation for Torment, with the freedom to adapt them for the best Torment computer role-playing experience we can devise.

About Stretch Goals and Funding

We’ve noted some explicit Stretch Goals, but we’ve also explained that every dollar we receive from your contributions during this campaign (including the 10% matching from $2M to $3M by @Dracogen!) will be going into the game development budget (along with reward fulfillment). I wanted to explain briefly what we mean. As more funding is available, we can make many improvements that aren’t easily described as a Stretch Goal. For example, at this upcoming milestone, George Ziets will be joining the writing team. This doesn’t just involve George. His writing contributions will allow us to increase depth and complexity, resulting in an even more branching and reactive storyline. More written content requires new art, more scripting support, and more quality assurance and iteration to polish the content. As the game increases in depth and complexity, new interface elements and features will be needed to properly communicate to you everything you need to know. George (and each writer) who contributes to the game creates more work (in a good way) for many who are behind the scenes.

Another important point to mention is the modular nature in which we’ve crafted Torment’s story. What we mean by this is that our story’s design makes it relatively easy for us to add content, especially optional content, but also critical path content in some cases. Our target funding was what we believed was required to make a worthy game that fulfills the vision we’ve presented to you. Additional resources allow us to make it richer, deeper, more polished. Though to some extent, more funds allow us to make a longer game, that is not our focus. Our focus in this regard is defined by our fourth pillar: “Reactivity, Choice, and Real Consequences.” When we talk about adding content, this is where our emphasis is: to make an even more engaging experience, to truly push the envelope in terms of role-playing game reactivity. This is one reason we’re excited about the expanding upon the Legacy System and the Tides – we see possibilities that to us were distant dreams last week when we launched this Kickstarter, when we didn’t realize how much you would support us and the vision we will create for you (and for ourselves, to be honest – this is a game we are very passionate about.)

We promise to you that all of the funds will be leveraged to best realize the vision we have presented. (Several in our community have expressed opinions along these lines, including GrinningReaper659 and aratuk) We won’t be using funds from this Kickstarter to add in features that deviate from this vision. We treat the trust you have placed in us seriously, and will maintain our precise focus on creating the game we have told you about. (For example, there is no total this Kickstarter could reach that would lead us to implement multiplayer.) We won’t be trying to broaden our audience – our goal is to provide you with the best embodiment of the game we have presented. Any features we add, any content we add, will be to better deliver on our vision. Especially for a game like Torment, excellence is achieved through focus.

Dialogue and Companions

Compelling dialogue and intriguing companions are at the core of the Torment experience. We’ll use dialogue trees in which you choose the line you speak or the action you take from a list of options, defining your character by what you say and do. We’ll iterate on tried-and-true systems (such as that of Planescape™: Torment) to make conversations even more interesting, but we’ll target the same type of experience. We'll design a new slang unique to the world (just enough to give the world depth, mind you; we won't pound you on the head with how cool our cant is).

You’ll have optional companions who might accompany you on your journey. You will be able to talk with them, delving into their personalities and histories, even shaping them (or driving them away) with your responses. They, too, might have their own things to say about a given situation and will interject whenever they feel like it. That said, you’ll have full control over your party. Some companions might choose to leave you over an extreme situation, but as long as they’re in your party, they’ll go where you direct them and do what you tell them.

We’ve been asked some questions about what types of relationships the PC might have with their companions. Our position is this: adhering to our four pillars, we are going to craft nontraditional, complex, and believable characters. We are going to develop the companions with enough depth that we understand their motivations and personality. And then we will write them to respond appropriately to the situations they encounter. Love, which comes in many forms, is certainly relevant when exploring themes of legacy, abandonment, and mystery – and we expect to explore this emotion in ways that fits the story and characters. Meaningful friendships, even feelings of affection, will be possible, but relationships of the flesh would be inconsistent with our narrative. (Though we must admit we were amused by the Romance with Ball of Goo suggestion by billyboy. =) )

Coming Attractions

We’re closing in on our next Stretch Goal, which will mean George Ziets, a novella by Monte Cook, a new companion, and the Castoff’s Labyrinth! (Oh, and a special video from Colin...). Thanks for spreading the word and for your continued support!

This week, expect more details of our vision for Torment (including more Tales of Torment episodes), information on more frequent Stretch Goals, and more.

Miscellaneous

You may recall that we hit the character limit on our KS page. To make room for new material and updates, we’ve begun moving text from the KS page over to our tumblr site and linking to it from the KS page. So far, most of the information about the story, the gameplay, and the team has been transferred. For those who would like to learn more, there’s actually quite a wealth of information on our tumblr (including more detailed information on rewards and Stretch Goals as well as links for PS:T materials, community sites, Colin and my Formspring accounts, and more).

Per your requests, new wallpapers for the Sojourner of Worlds and Sagus Cliffs at Dawn, without the Torment logo, have been added to our website’s Media page.

Thank you for your time and have a great day,

Kevin

Lots of juicy info here. I particularly like the stuff on the world with Monte, but I already thought the concept of Numenera was good enough to have ordered the corebook, so I'm slightly biased.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

It's the only romance I could deal with.

But is it still satire if you create something indistinguishable from the thing your satirising? Or does that make it the best satire?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Pyradox posted:

Satire still needs to point out how ridiculous or absurd something is. If it's indistinguishable then it's a joke you have to explain and it hasn't worked.

Even so, I don't think there's any way the goo ball romance could be anything other than the best satire.

You make a good point. I don't think comforting a sentient ball of goo with your genitals as it tells you about the horrors of its dark past could be anything other than absurd, in the most :gonk:-inducing way.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Mar 12, 2013

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Pyradox posted:

Actually yeah - in The Amber Monolith the main character mentions that his tribe prays to the "gods" that they see every night hovering in the sky.

So they exist but they're not something people understand.

Except perhaps the Order of Truth, as the guy in the story goes up into one of the satellites at the end, and later becomes the Amber Pope. After fighting a cyborg gorilla.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Mar 12, 2013

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

If we're including paypal totals, the latest stretch goal has been met. Now for the long slog to 3 million.

Mordaedil posted:

Just gotta be careful with how you handle pausing.

If you pause, does that pause for everyone? RTwP doesn't really sound like the ideal system for a multiplayer game...

Schurik posted:

I asked inXile directly, this was their response...

Oh, and good to know. Thanks!

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

FRINGE posted:

I bet people would buy high-quality pdfs of the original Planescape material. Even used, the main boxes (4 of them plus Hellbound) from what I recall) are jaw-droppingly expensive. The smallest of the PS monster books (number 3) is around $100 in good shape.

Amazon in the UK has the original campaign setting new for £60. I considered buying it at that price yesterday, but all of the expansion books are ridiculously expensive. In the end, I just didn't have the free cash to justify it, what with my pledge for this. But had there have been a way to buy the PDFs, they would definitely have had a sale from me in my moment of weakness.

EDIT: And I don't even play DnD, I just wanted it for the setting and the art, because it's cool.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Mar 13, 2013

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Wow. It really is insanely expensive in the US.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

FRINGE posted:

Yeah that was not a photoshop I put up!

For some reason it didn't register that the picture was from Amazon. :doh:

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I think that this is (unironically) the best stretch goal idea I've seen:

Someone posted:

A fortress that exist in your mind alone

Think of it as "housing" in a more abstract way. Just as the labyrinth is connected to your own psyche and visited upon death, so could this fortress of the mind nestled deep within the labyrinth. As you progress through the game, you'll find that events will not only shape you as an individual, but also be shaping your fortress of the mind to reflect which tides you are being influenced by as well as serve as a reminded of momentous events in your adventure.

It serves as a record keeper of the creatures, people, oddities, cyphers, and numeras that you encounter. As you defeat foes and help others, or find oddities/powerful cyphers; you create mental images of them in your safe place - that you can peruse at length, and sometimes even converse with.

As a mental construct your companions cannot use it as a resting place, but you will no longer be in the cross-hairs of the angel of death. Of course, being nestled deep within the labyrinth and feeding on it, you might have to face your innermost fears and nightmares instead.

Though the fact that is should clearly be exists in the title annoys me far more than it should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

lordfrikk posted:

Why, yes, I do want that as a player home :allears:

Huh. I guess that if they went to the lengths to make concept art for it, an airship stretch goal is pretty much confirmed. I can get behind this. Go full Final Fantasy VI, the Changing God can be Kefka.

Edit: You beat me to it, Cicero!

• Locked thread