Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

MadScientistWorking posted:

Well part of the problem is that its just not a very popular setting for the reason of it being that if I didn't actually know it had the D&D name on it the last thing I would associate it with is Dungeons and Dragons.
It was from the TSR 2e era. Its faded from awareness since WotC squelched it and wont release the rights to anyone for any reason.

This project was probably the best thing that could have happened for Numenera. If Torment is as good as I hope it is, it might prod me to give Numenara a shot on its own. (And I have pretty much given up on dumping money into RPGs at all these days.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

ymgve posted:

I already did follow that, or the equivalent guide on gog.com. The problem is that at any non-retarded resolution, all the UI stuff is way too tiny, even with the widescreen and UI mod.

Really? I followed the gog one to the letter and think it looks pretty good.

This is how it looks for me, is it different for you? If so, try doing it again, I guess? Didn't try the other guide that was mentioned, but you could try leaving it out if you did both? If it does look like that and you're not satisfied, I can't help you, though.

(both of these are like five seconds into the game, so pretty spoiler free, I hope)

And since this is my first post in the thread, god I love you InXile for making spiritual sequels to my favorite RPGs ever and you have my $65.

Edit: Added screenshot where the actual UI is visible and not just talk.

Man with Hat fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Mar 7, 2013

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
It's the same that I have, but I feel that the UI elements are just too tiny at that resolution. I've experimented a bit now and I find 800x600 the best compromise, even though it's not widescreen. (Something, either my video card or the game mods don't support 1024x600)

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Gravel Gravy posted:

If I understand it right, they didn't have any stretch goals set up yet, so these were only just recently hashed out, yeah?

Successful campaign runners don't treat stretch goals as afterthoughts.

Brother None posted:

We have a list of way more stretch goals than that. But knowing what your stretch goals are and communicating them are pretty different things, especially since people do expect indepth updates and graphical representations were possible.

inXile planned ahead. I don't know why they didn't prepare updates with media placeholders in advance though...

By the way, Brother None, if you intend to interview the team for future campaign updates, hire a professional interviewer (who is not necessarily me!) who can get technical people to say more than a few sentences.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

ymgve posted:

I already did follow that, or the equivalent guide on gog.com. The problem is that at any non-retarded resolution, all the UI stuff is way too tiny, even with the widescreen and UI mod.

The UI stuff as in fonts or as in the boxes that hold them?

You're out of luck if you want the game boxy things to get bigger, it won't do that. Just run it at a resolution not higher than the 1280s and make the font double in size and it's about as sharp as it gets.

I'd recommend you run it at 1024x768 and the font at 120%. Also, just get used to having small boxes in your inventory, it's annoying initially, sure, but it's not the focus of the game. It's as good as it'll get, unfortunately.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

FRINGE posted:

It was from the TSR 2e era. Its faded from awareness since WotC squelched it and wont release the rights to anyone for any reason.
I know that. It gets referenced every which way by Wizards of the Coast. Its still an uncharacteristically bizarre setting for a game like Dungeons and Dragons.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

ymgve posted:

It's the same that I have, but I feel that the UI elements are just too tiny at that resolution. I've experimented a bit now and I find 800x600 the best compromise, even though it's not widescreen. (Something, either my video card or the game mods don't support 1024x600)
IIRC there's a mod (can't remember if it's included in the Widescreen Mod or not) to make the dialogue text reasonably-sized even at high resolutions, if that's your only problem. UI icons and graphics obviously can't be resized as easily so for them you just have to play at a lower res.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I know that. It gets referenced every which way by Wizards of the Coast. Its still an uncharacteristically bizarre setting for a game like Dungeons and Dragons.

Considering how closely Planescape was tied to dumb D&Disms like alignment it shouldn't be that surprising that it was a D&D setting.

funky not a junkie
Aug 5, 2011
I liked how ps:t basically just gave you a premade character and you couldn't choose your gender or name from the start and I don't think this game should let you choose your gender either! Just make the main character a female, if that weird statue with the mask is supposed to be the main character I already thought it looked a little feminine.

edit: and I never saw the game as ~my own personal story~ I always thought of it as The Nameless One's story, and that's way cooler than trying to make something super personal to the player IMO.

funky not a junkie fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Mar 7, 2013

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Just found out about this Game and am pleased to see it succeed as well as it has with funding. Wish I could contribute something significant but college.:v:
As such I have a question if Brother None would be willing to answer it.

Does inXile entertainment plan to sell physical copies of TToN upon its release? This feels like the kind of game I would want to have a hard copy of even if I just wind up saving it to my laptops hard drive.

Brother None
Feb 25, 2013

On the line for InXile

primitive posted:

I've noticed you saying this a couple of places... what does it actually mean in terms of being able to scale the content out as you gather funds?

The reason I ask is because the body swap mechanic seems to be a really easy (lazy?) way to put a bunch of 2-3 hour self-contained sidequests in the game. And while it allows you to do a bunch of interesting things without being leashed to the core plot, I think there's a danger in building out the core plot in a similar modular way.

To clarify, I think a plot that you have to design to scale from 8 to 24 modules long (depending on the funds you get coming in) is necessarily more linear than a web like PS:T. And I think the mechanic might start getting old at body swap #19.
You spend most of the game in "your own" body, the meres are a narrative expansion tool that will be used carefully where appropriate.

At this stage design is always modular. You have your core locations, story and companions that you know you have to do to make a game, and those are funded at one million. From there one out you built out locations, companion and story in a pre-defined priority list. It's not based on self-contained modules, though that is part of it, it is based on precisely defined possibilities and priorities.

Brought To You By posted:

Does inXile entertainment plan to sell physical copies of TToN upon its release?

Yip.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Yip Yip

Brother None
Feb 25, 2013

On the line for InXile
PayPal store is now live

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
Yip Yip

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

WrightOfWay posted:

Considering how closely Planescape was tied to dumb D&Disms like alignment it shouldn't be that surprising that it was a D&D setting.
You really haven't read the setting much have you because even the stuff like alignment had weird mechanics to it that made it distincly its own. Hell even then the reason why alignment exisisted in the first place was because the original premise of Planescape was to make the stuff from The Manual of the Planes actually playable as opposed to huge death traps.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

You really haven't read the setting much have you because even the stuff like alignment had weird mechanics to it that made it distincly its own. Hell even then the reason why alignment exisisted in the first place was because the original premise of Planescape was to make the stuff from The Manual of the Planes actually playable as opposed to huge death traps.
Doesn't change the fact that alignment is at it's base a dumb concept. You can still do interesting things with a dumb concept. And it's because it takes that dumb concept and really takes it to it's best potential that it makes it work. I really love the Planescape setting for pen & paper RPG, but I really don't much like D&D or any rules-heavy system anymore. But I've found that the setting really doesn't work when you remove it from the dumb D&Disms that it grew out of.

But to go back to your original:

Its still an uncharacteristically bizarre setting for a game like Dungeons and Dragons.
TSR had plenty of weird settings, it wasn't all just Forgotten Realms and Dragonlance. Spelljammer and Dark Sun were both pretty weird. Gamma World was really weird. And have you ever seen a copy of Tabloid!?

And the original premise was to make the Manual of the Planes into a real setting, and a boxed product that would make money for a struggling TSR (boxed softcovers costing less and selling for more than hardcovers). But it was also to find a good way to use this fantastic artist they'd just hired. Without DiTerlizzi's amazing and non-traditional art it wouldn't have evolved into nearly as unique a world.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!
Not to distract from the great discussion, but we actually have a Planescape thread we can post in without derailing this one.

As for Planescape and D&D - Well, that was always one of the paradoxical quirks about Planescape. AD&D is probably one of the worst systems to convey the ideas and game-play of the setting, yet the setting is almost impossible to separate from D&D without losing vital parts from it.

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?

Zilkin posted:

This would be cool, but there are 1000($125 digital tier) and 500($250 physical tier) backers who will get their name in the game this way. Probably just gonna be some huge wall full of names.
WTB tier with gravestone pun option on it!

Satanos posted:

Pretty certain you won't be disappointed on that front, the tone of the game and it's morality system especially remind me of The Void.

The Void was weird as gently caress.
Good call - it does look similar! That was... I'm not even sure that was a game.

Quarex posted:

You are basically saying that since it was an amazing game whose reputation has just continued to grow since its release, it is the pinnacle of the type of game that would do best on Kickstarter even if it itself might not be the number one. Like how Dark Heart of Uukrul (while still completely unknown by Kickstarter standards) has gone from "incredibly obscure MS-DOS-era CRPG" to "talked about in reverent tones on classic CRPG pages" in the past several years. Why, at this rate, by 2050, there will be clamoring for a sequel!
Yeah, exactly. Also goddamnit, I haven't played Dark Heart of Uukrul. *shame* I know what I'm doing tonight.

I have a question for Brother None: are you the only Dustman on the dev team, or are there others? ;)

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Third update is out.

There's a lot, but I just want to mention one word....

George Ziets :)

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I thought George Ziets would be the best bit, but this part is just amazing:

quote:

Last, but most certainly not least: Upon reaching $2.5m, we will send out a special video from Colin. Those of you familiar with Colin’s very early work may recall that he wrote the Complete Book of Elves for 2nd Edition AD&D. You AD&D players may remember how dreadful this work was, making elves so incredibly powerful and unbalanced that all of our AD&D games were henceforth ruined until 3rd Edition D&D came to save us. (This is a slight overstatement. We could just pretend the book never existed, after all. That’s what I did…) Fortunately, Colin wrote that over 20 years ago and he’s learned much since then. =) Plus he’s the creative guy on Torment and Adam and I aren’t going to let him get too close to the gameplay systems. Just kidding. (Mostly. ;) )

But we’ve always felt that he owes us for polluting our campaigns with his bizarre passion for elves. Thankfully, Colin seems to have gotten through his elf-fetish years but his penance isn’t yet complete. He has apologized before, but somehow I find it lacking. I don't know about you, but I want to see him say it. So as part of our update celebrating this Stretch Goal, Colin will apologize publicly for this sin of his youth through a special video.

Now apologize for Toughness, Monte!

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
For the people that dropped more than $100 for the physical tiers they should throw all of the digital novellas in just because.

quote:

Project Update #3: Updated our Journal for the 3rd Time: Video on Themes, New True Believer Tier Coming, Strategy Guide, More Stretch Goals, PayPal

Torment Video Series Begins

Here is Colin to introduce to you the series of videos we’ve prepared to give you more information about Torment as well as meet many of our talented team (the “talented” part comes with the second video – Colin is exempt from that adjective). Colin will explain more about what we have planned for you over the coming weeks and will also talk more about Torment’s themes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mG-aVZ_QaSc

Digital Strategy Guide Added to $28+ Tiers

We will create a digital strategy guide for Torment, and this reward will be added to all Tiers $28 or higher (But there is no $28 Tier, you say? Read on! =) ). The digital strategy guide is also available as an add-on for $7.

New True Believer Tier Coming!

Tomorrow, March 8th at 1 PM PST, we will be opening up a new $28 True Believer Tier. Our initial $20 Tier sold out more quickly than we expected, which meant that many people missed out on the opportunity to be a True Believer of Torment. Some of our international audience, as well as those who wanted to pay with Pay Pal had no such opportunity.

This Tier will include the following:
1. DRM-free Digital Game (PC, Mac, or Linux)
2. Planescape: Torment Developer Retrospective
3. Access to the Official Torment Community
4. Digital Strategy Guide
5. Digital copy of Colin McComb’s novella (not the entire Novella Compilation)

This new True Believe Tier will be limited to 20,000 backers. It will also be available through Pay Pal until it sells out on Kickstarter. Of course, $20 True Believers, and those who joined us “late” at $25 can change to this Tier as well, gaining the digital strategy guide and Colin’s novella.

Out of fairness to our $35 and $45 Tier backers, we will add Colin’s novella to these Tiers as well. We aren’t adding anything else extra to the $50 and higher Tiers at this time, but hope that Nathan’s novella and the additional novellas we hope to add to the compilation, plus the strategy guide, compensate for Colin’s novella being given out to the $28 and $35 Tiers.
More Stretch Goals

(See the bottom of this Update for the new Stretch Goal table.)

We reached our $1.5m Stretch Goal soon after I sent out Update 2 last night, which means that Mur and Tony both join our writing team. We’ve received requests for a little more detail in terms of how we’ll be expanding the game as we surpass various Stretch Goals, so we want to further define the impact of adding these writers by noting that a new area, the Crystal Dimension, will also be added to the game due to reaching this milestone. Here’s a brief description:

In strange and distant worlds, life flickers toward awareness even amid the most brutal landscapes. For instance: massive mountains of crystal heave from the land and pierce the sky under pale suns, their light refracting and bending around cunning spires never touched by human hands. The infants of this land are giants, vaguely humanoid crystalline monsters torn from the land itself and given shape and purpose by the elders, who share the light and heat from their ever-diminishing bodies, chipped and worn by age.

$2.0 Million: Monte Writes, Mark Composes, Ruins of Ossiphagan, and Goo Oozes, +2 Novellas

In my fatigued state last night, I forgot to mention that at this Stretch Goal, Mur and Tony will each also be writing novellas that will be added to the compilation for all Tiers that receive it (or for those who purchase it as an add-on). Also, at the $2m mark, we will be adding the Ruins of Ossiphagan to the game:

The erupting volcanoes and surging lava fill the air with acrid smoke and choking fumes. The bones of an enormous beast lie sprawled across the obsidian fields, its ribs splayed open as if it had been torn open by some unimaginable predator. The ossified bones have been hollowed out as homes by some intrepid or foolish citizens, and the wind howls through the openings in a mournful whistle like a giant flute. In the wastes beyond, creatures of flame and focused minds trawl the lava and skim its valuable nutrients.

Also, as a surprise edition to all (including our dear colleague Colin who is learning about this commitment right now as you are) after the Kickstarter ends, Colin’s going to be doing a play through of Planescape: Torment for you all, providing his developer commentary as he goes. Which areas and characters did he write? And what was he thinking when he wrote them? How fast of a reader is he? Does he have anything good to say about the combat? What is his answer to the question: “What can change the nature of a man?” Learn all of this and more!

$2.5 Million: George Ziets, Death Mechanics – The Castoff’s Labyrinth, Monte’s Novella, New Companion, Colin’s Apology (Part 1)

Ziets!

We are thrilled to announce that George will be joining Torment as a writer at this Stretch Goal. This is a personally meaningful addition to me. You may know George from his role as Creative Lead on Mask of the Betrayer, where he led the story and character design for the game. Working on that game was one of the highlights of my career and I have George to thank for much of that. His creative aesthetics are perfect for the themes we are exploring in Torment and I’m very much looking forward to collaborating with George again.

New Novella

Monte will be writing a Torment novella at this mark as well. For a sample of Monte’s creative writing for Numenera, you might check out his short story, The Amber Monolith. http://www.numenera.com/the-amber-monolith/

Companion

This Stretch Goal will also bring the 6th companion. Some noted to us that maybe I said too much in describing “The Toy” in Update 2, so we’ll leave this one mysterious for now.

Castoff's Labyrinth

We’ll also be adding the Castoff’s Labyrinth, an area that will play into our treatment of death in Torment at $2.5M. Expanding upon this “labyrinth of the mind” will also serve as an ongoing Stretch Goal for us from this point on. We’ll be providing more detail about this area, and Death Mechanics soon, but here’s a piece that Colin wrote describing it:

"Death is the end. That's what they say. But that's not entirely true, is it? When Death crashes over you like a looming wave, you don't die. Your body knits up fast and your eyes stare off. You move and twitch. So what is it you're seeing? Where do you go when you die?"

When you open your eyes, you're in a chamber with four... no, six... make it five walls. Call it five. It's almost definitely five walls. Each of them has a door of different material, each of them wavers before you, but they become more distinct the closer you approach. The chamber is dark and dripping, a faint tremor like a slow pulse shaking the floor on a long timeline. You put your hand to the door and it opens for you, and before you lies a crumbling stone walkway over fathomless mists. You can see no roof above you, nor stars nor moon. The mists curl and lap at your feet, broken occasionally by stray eddies of wind.

There is a feeling of recognition deep inside you. You know this place. And ahead, across the span, you see a familiar face.

"What are you doing here?" you ask

"You're dead," she says. "What I mean is that you're not dead. You're coming back to life. And now you've got fragments of us in your head. Every time you take our suffering, we get stronger. In here, I mean. But if you want to come back to the world, you need to find your way out of here."

Colin's Apology (Part 1)

Last, but most certainly not least: Upon reaching $2.5m, we will send out a special video from Colin. Those of you familiar with Colin’s very early work may recall that he wrote the Complete Book of Elves for 2nd Edition AD&D. You AD&D players may remember how dreadful this work was, making elves so incredibly powerful and unbalanced that all of our AD&D games were henceforth ruined until 3rd Edition D&D came to save us. (This is a slight overstatement. We could just pretend the book never existed, after all. That’s what I did…) Fortunately, Colin wrote that over 20 years ago and he’s learned much since then. =) Plus he’s the creative guy on Torment and Adam and I aren’t going to let him get too close to the gameplay systems. Just kidding. (Mostly. ;) )

But we’ve always felt that he owes us for polluting our campaigns with his bizarre passion for elves. Thankfully, Colin seems to have gotten through his elf-fetish years but his penance isn’t yet complete. He has apologized before, but somehow I find it lacking. I don't know about you, but I want to see him say it. So as part of our update celebrating this Stretch Goal, Colin will apologize publicly for this sin of his youth through a special video.
PayPal Ready

Finally, we launched the PayPal store earlier today. You can reach it through clicking “Pledge” at tormentrpg.com. Thank you for your patience.

Thank you for your time and support! Hope you are all having a terrific day. See you again soon!

Kevin

FRINGE fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Mar 8, 2013

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

So basically this is the Planescape/ Mask of the Betrayer creative team, minus Chris Avellone.

I'm pretty drat happy about that :)

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Klyith posted:

Doesn't change the fact that alignment is at it's base a dumb concept.
Actually Planescape ended up morphing the mechanic into something that matches up with a something familiar to most of the world's perception of religion.

quote:

TSR had plenty of weird settings, it wasn't all just Forgotten Realms and Dragonlance. Spelljammer and Dark Sun were both pretty weird. Gamma World was really weird. And have you ever seen a copy of Tabloid!?

I'm well familiar with most settings and my general impression is that the only one that I've ever the impression of being the works of mad men was Planescape. Honestly, its one of the things that I'm looking forward to in regards to Numenara While I don't have faith in Cook's game design ability his strong points are writing the kind of strange fiction you don't see in any of the above settings. Its also the reason why I want to go back and play Planescape Torment because I have to imagine that they toned down the insanity of the setting.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

This update has made me all kinds of happy.

FRINGE posted:

For the people that dropped more than $100 for the physical tiers they should throw all of the digital novellas in just because.

Unless I'm misreading we do get them all?

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
e: The best part of the of the update is the apology. I really want that to come to fruition. gently caress 2nd edition elves :colbert:

Adraeus posted:

Successful campaign runners don't treat stretch goals as afterthoughts.

inXile planned ahead. I don't know why they didn't prepare updates with media placeholders in advance though...

Brian Fargo tweeted "The rate of funding did catch us off guard to have stretch goals ready. We never dreamed of such success."

I think they realized it was an error and I doubt they ever find themselves in such a situation ever again (actually let's hope that whenever they have a kickass project, they end up with so much money they don't know what to do with it

Twee as Fuck fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Mar 8, 2013

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

theblackw0lf posted:

George Ziets :)

Haha, YES!

"Gameplay increases 150%!"

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I honestly think that there is no-one who dislikes George Ziets. I have never heard anyone complain about his work.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

CottonWolf posted:

Unless I'm misreading we do get them all?
Oh, I might have gotten confused in the "True Believer" section...

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...
An official apology from the author of the Complete Book of Elves.
This is the best stretch goal ever.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

LogicNinja posted:

An official apology from the author of the Complete Book of Elves.
This is the best stretch goal ever.

As someone who's exposure to D&D is entirely limited to CRPGs and thus doesn't know, was it really that unimaginably bad?

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

CottonWolf posted:

As someone who's exposure to D&D is entirely limited to CRPGs and thus doesn't know, was it really that unimaginably bad?

Long version: http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?626446-Let-s-Read-The-Complete-Book-of-Elves

Here is the very first thing you read when you start on the book:

The Complete Book of Elves posted:

We do not deign to acknowledge the slanderous propaganda spread by the stunted humans who call themselves dwarves. The little miners have always had a rather, shall we say, biased outlook on history and the true workers of reality. They call themselves the finest creatures to grace the worlds--with bodies like that, we suppose one would have to have an active fantasy life.

For those graced with true vision, Elves comprise the finest race in all the worlds. We are that which other races aspire to be: Our longevity, our beauty, and our craftsmanship are all the stuff of legends. Certainly, each of these attributes can be recreated in some fashion by the lesser races, but theirs is an artifice of face and form and creation--never as fine as those that come naturally to us.

Our lives are long and filled with happiness, for we recognize the impermanence of all things, excepting ourselves. Indeed, we do not suffer death as do the mortals. Only through violence, accident, or disease do we die at all. Although we vanish from the ken of mortal knowledge after hundreds of years of existence in this plane, you may rest assured that we continue on elsewhere. Even those who perish on the battlefield do not truly die, but instead become part of the earth's cycle of growth and rebirth. Our spirits linger on, for we are intimately tied to the world and its core. Indeed, we are the integral part of that core.

We would now turn now to other matters, for to continue on in this vein would, no doubt, lead you to beleive that we are boasting of elven prowess. We do not boast. Anyone who has seen even the slightest fraction of elven ability knows the truth of what we say within these pages.

Yes, we are a proud race, but do we not have just cause? Are we not Elves--creatures of most wondrous might? Simply understand that we are what we are and that nothing you can do will change us--then may we become good friends. But beware: We are a complex race, and the workings of our lives will ever be a mystery to you, our dreams are foreign from yours. You will never truly understand us, no matter how you try.

Short version: YES. And I say that as someone who's played a lot of elves.

LogicNinja fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Mar 8, 2013

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

I am wondering how it's going to work with Ziets being on both Project Eternity and this one. Unless pre-production is wrapping up soon.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

LogicNinja posted:

Long version: http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?626446-Let-s-Read-The-Complete-Book-of-Elves
Short version: YES. And I say that as someone who's played a lot of elves.

Okay, I can see how that might be pretty bad.

theblackw0lf posted:

I am wondering how it's going to work with Ziets being on both Project Eternity and this one. Unless pre-production is wrapping up soon.

His formspring implies that his role will be relatively limited in Torment. But this did go up before he was announced as a stretch goal, so who knows?

Satanos
Feb 5, 2010

So if it hits 2.5 mil we're looking at at least 6 companions. I'd say that's a solid amount, though 8 would be the dream... maybe even 10, though that might be pushing it.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
So what I am taking away from this thread, as I have many other times, is that now that I found my Neverwinter Nights 2 saves from way back when, I should really pick up Mask of the Betrayer finally.

FRINGE posted:

This project was probably the best thing that could have happened for Numenera. If Torment is as good as I hope it is, it might prod me to give Numenara a shot on its own. (And I have pretty much given up on dumping money into RPGs at all these days.)
That is honestly what makes me most excited about this. Despite the fact that homebrewed role-playing campaigns seem to be the source for CRPGs semi-frequently (Dragon Age is just the most obvious recent example), when was the last time a new role-playing setting/system actually got this kind of momentum behind it? When I passed on Kickstartering Numenera last year, it was entirely because I figured I would not have anyone to play with, and what was the point of getting into a new setting only to never actually have a chance to experience it in a game? And then, welp, here we go, looks like I should have assumed Monte Cook would find a way.

Basically I am hoping that Numenera is the kind of thing where there will be four or five CRPGs set in its world so it can be the closest thing we get to a new Gold Box series, is what I am saying.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Quarex posted:

So what I am taking away from this thread, as I have many other times, is that now that I found my Neverwinter Nights 2 saves from way back when, I should really pick up Mask of the Betrayer finally.

That is honestly what makes me most excited about this. Despite the fact that homebrewed role-playing campaigns seem to be the source for CRPGs semi-frequently (Dragon Age is just the most obvious recent example), when was the last time a new role-playing setting/system actually got this kind of momentum behind it? When I passed on Kickstartering Numenera last year, it was entirely because I figured I would not have anyone to play with, and what was the point of getting into a new setting only to never actually have a chance to experience it in a game? And then, welp, here we go, looks like I should have assumed Monte Cook would find a way.

Basically I am hoping that Numenera is the kind of thing where there will be four or five CRPGs set in its world so it can be the closest thing we get to a new Gold Box series, is what I am saying.

Oh god, I know I really need to play Mask, but I feel like I need to replay Neverwinter 2 again for the full experience, and I keep burning out a while after joining the Guard in Neverwinter.

Also, if someone kickstarts a true gold box successor I'll probably just email them my credit card number and be done with it.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Fintilgin posted:

Oh god, I know I really need to play Mask, but I feel like I need to replay Neverwinter 2 again for the full experience, and I keep burning out a while after joining the Guard in Neverwinter.

Also, if someone kickstarts a true gold box successor I'll probably just email them my credit card number and be done with it.

It's really not that important to play the original campaign to play MOTB. I'd just read a summary of the original game and you'll be fine. It's really it's own self-contained (and amazingly awesome) story.

There is one character that you won't understand the significance to in MOTB if you haven't played the original. And you might miss some of that character arc. But not sure it's worth playing 50 hours just for that. Though the original campaign does have it's own moments of greatness.

If you start playing the original campaign and enjoy it I'd say just keep playing it. But if you find it a slog, no problem just skipping it and giving MOTB a go.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

theblackw0lf posted:

By the time Torment is funded, it will have been nearly 6 months since Project Eternity was funded. It's possible his role in Project Eternity won't be as large by that time and he will then have some time to do Torment.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
If i skip past specific things I would want to complain about, NWN2 on the whole was a good game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
Oh man, but elves were awesome in 2nd ed. Whoever picked an elf in your P&P group got harassed and annoyed for the entire length of the campaign, and he definitely was made to go first when any choices were to be had (hopefully to their death). They were _essential_. You don't expect the halfling thief to go first all the time do you? No, I'm busy pickpocketing the party members and figuring out how to cast grease on the party.

• Locked thread