Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I know that if you drink a lot of 'purple stuff' (purple Kool-Aid,) it will turn your poo poo green.

Pepto-Bismol turns it black..like, thick, jet black. If you aren't aware before you take it you might think something is SERIOUSLY wrong with your bowels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

DrBouvenstein posted:

Pepto-Bismol turns it black..like, thick, jet black. If you aren't aware before you take it you might think something is SERIOUSLY wrong with your bowels.

It's just the evil spirits being expelled from your body.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009
Wiki tests: Randomized questions (largely multi-choice I guess) made by people for pages and ideas from Wikipedia. Available to all countries to aid low level understanding of topics, may not be worth a lot of money but could be very useful in teaching. This is something I have wanted for a while as this sort of thing greatly helps me learn.

Sealance: A very long lance with a very tapered end that you can sit on and get dropped from the sky into the sea with, without a parachute. Scary and dangerous but maybe possible.

Battery operated clothes, like electric blankets you wear. These probably already exist.

Mandatory teaching of higher level critical thinking and skepticism in school, hopefully leading to less conservatives/homophobes/conspiracy theorists/ climate change deniers etc. Million dollar idea in that I would pay a million dollars to not have to deal with these people.

Komojo
Jun 30, 2007

1½% milk.

A location alarm for my phone where I can set a GPS location and have it beep when it gets close. That way I can take a nap on the bus.

I realized I'm actually capable of creating both of these things myself, but :effort:

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?

Komojo posted:

A location alarm for my phone where I can set a GPS location and have it beep when it gets close. That way I can take a nap on the bus.
I searched for GPS alarm and these apps already exist.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
A garbage can molded so that it perfectly fits the floor space of my car's passenger seat.

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

1) Automate the creation of blood-slides
2) Hook a strong-rear end microscope up to a computer
3) Train separate neural networks to recognize the individual good and expected components of the blood (on the theory that making a neural network to recognize "everything good" is harder than several networks that specialize)
4) Any blood slide that has "too much" non-recognized-as-good things gets flagged for human inspection

Ba-da-boom ba-da-bing, improved blood donation screening with almost no recurring cost.

I don't know poo poo about dick about blood borne illnesses.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Minarch posted:

A garbage can molded so that it perfectly fits the floor space of my car's passenger seat.

Baldbeard posted:

A tiny Roomba that stays under the passenger seat in my car. It's sole purpose is to detect and push trash that I throw over there into a box that I can remove/dump/replace.

I hope you're ready for high-tech competition. :colbert:

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
You guys are dumb, they already invented the perfect car trash bin: the window.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
On that note, trash that you can eat, instead of throwing away. Like, imagine a McDonald's wrapper, but on other foods.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
Trash flavored trash.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Little peep holes on toilet stall doors so you can see who wants to come in. The "Peeple Peeper (while you're peeing and pooing)". It's really strange that in the year 2013, we're still peeking through the cracks in the door like subhumans.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Little peep holes on toilet stall doors so you can see who wants to come in. The "Peeple Peeper (while you're peeing and pooing)". It's really strange that in the year 2013, we're still peeking through the cracks in the door like subhumans.

Why the? What the?
How often do people try to get in to your stall? And more importantly, why do you want to see who it is?

I hope I'm not the only one finding this really strange :ohdear:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Hulebr00670065006e posted:

Why the? What the?
How often do people try to get in to your stall? And more importantly, why do you want to see who it is?

Oh, look at the guy who's too good to have sex in the bathroom stall. :rolleyes:

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012

Why the? What the?

Uhhh, you don't want to see who's knocking? :psyduck:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Why the? What the?

It doesn't happen all of the time, but it happens often enough that a peep hole might actually be more dignified than the current method.

Elim Garak
Aug 5, 2010

p.crestmont posted:

Uhhh, you don't want to see who's knocking? :psyduck:

Why is anyone knocking to begin with, and why would the answer be anything other than "occupied" no matter who it is?

Elim Garak
Aug 5, 2010

I think this my first quote is not edit, but while I'm here, this also confuses me:

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

On that note, trash that you can eat, instead of throwing away. Like, imagine a McDonald's wrapper, but on other foods.

Are you eating your McDonald's wrappers or am I missing something?

Elim Garak has a new favorite as of 03:05 on Oct 10, 2013

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
Peanut butter with potato chips already mixed in.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Elim Garak posted:

Why is anyone knocking to begin with, and why would the answer be anything other than "occupied" no matter who it is?

Judging from the frequency with which pictures of toilets show up--even on this very forums--I can only assume a similar motive for many of these people.

Elim Garak posted:

I think this my first quote is not edit, but while I'm here, this also confuses me:

Are you eating your McDonald's wrappers or am I missing something?

Rice paper is edible.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Rice paper is edible.

I'm pretty sure that burger wrappers are not made out of rice paper?

Fake edit - who is generating so much trash while they're driving that they need a dedicated rubbish disposal solution in their car? How hard is it to grab whatever trash you've created as you're getting out of the car and throw it in the nearest bin?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

cyberia posted:

Fake edit - who is generating so much trash while they're driving that they need a dedicated rubbish disposal solution in their car?

Well first off, people who eat at Burger King.

quote:

How hard is it to grab whatever trash you've created as you're getting out of the car and throw it in the nearest bin?

Well, do you really want to have to stick your fingers between the door and the passenger seat so you can fish out that last piece of trash? Or comb through the floor mat to make sure all the dirt, crumbs, and hair clippings are removed? Do you really have time--after winding yourself with two pounds of burger meat--to clean up the Sbarro pizza box that has trapped itself under your seat? Probably not.

New invention: Disposable floor mats (with curved edges, to trap trash). "Trash mats".

EDIT: We could even expand into various trash mat themes: Tribal patterned trash mats. Tweetie Bird trash mats. Ed Hardy trash mats.

Cream-of-Plenty has a new favorite as of 04:45 on Oct 10, 2013

isnt that right
Dec 8, 2009

A 12th season of Frasier.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
trampoline baseball

trampoline leagues of all sports really.

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

Some kind of padding on the ends of packs of biscuits to prevent the end biscuits getting shattered and spilling crumbs everywhere when you open them.

I'm looking at you, McVities :argh:

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Well first off, people who eat at Burger King.

Well, do you really want to have to stick your fingers between the door and the passenger seat so you can fish out that last piece of trash? Or comb through the floor mat to make sure all the dirt, crumbs, and hair clippings are removed? Do you really have time--after winding yourself with two pounds of burger meat--to clean up the Sbarro pizza box that has trapped itself under your seat? Probably not.

New invention: Disposable floor mats (with curved edges, to trap trash). "Trash mats".

EDIT: We could even expand into various trash mat themes: Tribal patterned trash mats. Tweetie Bird trash mats. Ed Hardy trash mats.

We could get fast-food companies in on it. Like a Bigmac trashmat that looks like those cardboard burger boxes, complete with printed pickle and tomato slice.

The McDonald's Bigmat.

RolandTower
Nov 19, 2003

Guns n' Roses n' Deus Ex Machina
Bleak Gremlin

Same Great Paste posted:

1) Automate the creation of blood-slides
2) Hook a strong-rear end microscope up to a computer
3) Train separate neural networks to recognize the individual good and expected components of the blood (on the theory that making a neural network to recognize "everything good" is harder than several networks that specialize)
4) Any blood slide that has "too much" non-recognized-as-good things gets flagged for human inspection

Ba-da-boom ba-da-bing, improved blood donation screening with almost no recurring cost.

I don't know poo poo about dick about blood borne illnesses.

Sorry buddy, but
1) blood slide creation is already largely automated
2) The visual portions of blood analysis are already automated and we already have computer programs capable of differentiating, optically, between types of blood cells and abnormal cells.
3) viruses and are too small to see under a microscope, so you'd still need to do other lab screenings to assess for HIV or hepatitis C, etc.

But good thinking, you just needed to have the idea ~ 30 is years ago.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
I work in a school, and about five or six years ago, many students started to walk about the corridors with headphones on, ear buds in, listening to music from their phones, their iPods. I'd see them walking about in their own little worlds, sometimes nodding to a friend, but essentially isolated. I thought, wouldn't it be good if there was some kind of app, some way that everyone could listen to the same music at once? So that when a good bit happened, or they caught the eye of another student, there would be a moment of connection, a "This is a good bit!" moment. They could be in step, walking in different directions, something to join them together. I got quite excited about the prospect.

Then I realised that I had invented radio. :negative:

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

RolandTower posted:

Sorry buddy, but
1) blood slide creation is already largely automated
2) The visual portions of blood analysis are already automated and we already have computer programs capable of differentiating, optically, between types of blood cells and abnormal cells.
3) viruses and are too small to see under a microscope, so you'd still need to do other lab screenings to assess for HIV or hepatitis C, etc.

But good thinking, you just needed to have the idea ~ 30 is years ago.

Thank You for explaining why it's not worth pursuing. :)

GOO PUNCH!!
Oct 28, 2010

D is That Guy posted:

A "pay-it forward" style system where you punch someone in the dick and then they get to go do the same to someone else.

Everyone played this "game" when I went to summer camp as a kid.

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

I've misunderstood what a lion is.

Grimey Drawer
A toaster for towels. It's like a toaster oven, but you put towels in there while you're in the shower. Then you get out and there's a warm towel waiting for you.

You could also put like, jackets and socks in there too I guess. I just hate being cold when I get out of the shower.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Rack posted:

A toaster for towels. It's like a toaster oven, but you put towels in there while you're in the shower. Then you get out and there's a warm towel waiting for you.

You could also put like, jackets and socks in there too I guess. I just hate being cold when I get out of the shower.

You can already make one of these out of an ordinary toaster oven. Just go buy a cheap one (~$20), set it up on your bathroom counter, stick your towel of choice inside, and then take a shower.

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

Rack posted:

So you want a towel warmer, which is basically a heated towel rack? They're pretty cheap at Walmart and great for drying your pants and jacket after a long night of plowing snow.

Edit:
Here's a "cheap" one on Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Jerdon-Warmrails-Mounted-Standing-37-5-Inches/dp/B0000DIX6G/ref=lp_16351481_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1381462592&sr=1-4

I swear I bought one for like $35 a few years ago, but they run upwards of $500 apparently?

Ironhead has a new favorite as of 04:39 on Oct 11, 2013

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
A car that is also a trash compactor.

Maybe it burns the garbage cubes as fuel. The more you eat in your car, the father you can drive.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

mds2 posted:

A car that is also a trash compactor composter.

Maybe it burns the garbage poop cubes as fuel. The more you eat in your car, the fa[r]ther you can drive.

I'm so, so sorry.

edit: vvvv drat, I didn't catch that. Now I can't stop giggling!

madeintaipei has a new favorite as of 05:22 on Oct 11, 2013

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

mds2 posted:

the father you can drive.

Leave my father out of this. :argh:

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I use my phone a bunch and pray to Allah that one of these days we're gonna get hit with an update that adds another button to the keyboard. It functions like the backspace key but instead deletes forward. This new forwardspace key will erase the frustration that arises from being one letter off with the cursor when erasing a word.

I've spent the rest of my life trying to design a robot that collects piles of dog poo poo and gift wraps them to be left at nearby stoops. I can't decide if the AI will talk a bunch of poo poo or just roll around in it.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."
A father you can drive.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
For dentists: A tiny robot with a camera, light source, drill, water supply & drain. Remote control that sucker so it can stand inside the patient's mouth and conduct drill work from any angle, so you don't have to stick your hands in someone's mouth for an hour at a time. Adapt an endoscope to start with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

mds2 posted:

A car that is also a trash compactor.

Maybe it burns the garbage cubes as fuel. The more you eat in your car, the father you can drive.

Where we're going, we don't need roads.

• Locked thread