Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Sockser posted:

Figure we've got the core 6 Dino Fury Rangers, plus Billy, plus Fern
Plus, why not, throw Tarrick in there somehow

That gives you 9 out of Kyuranger's 12
I could see them sneaking in 3 more cameo rangers in 8 episodes, maybe

There are rumors of Mick returning and turning into the Red Ninja Steel Ranger again as well as the Deathryuger suit from Kyoryuger finally getting used so if true that just leaves one more ranger unaccounted for (unless they decide to just have Solon pilot a Zord or something)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Solon would be a good choice for piloting a zord imo, if she's not what's his names arm

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

One thing I am a little concerned about is the pacing of this series (it seems like we've got a decent amount of ground to cover and only 10 normal length episodes to do it in), but hopefully the writing team can pull it off successfully

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Larryb posted:

The opening also confirms that Billy will both be joining the team and getting to pilot a zord (the wolf appropriately enough)

Wait... what's Ollie in, then?

I figured Billy would either get the Draco one (still holding out for Solon!) or the Phoenix Megazord, which they could easily spin as him having personally built.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Caphi posted:

Wait... what's Ollie in, then?

I figured Billy would either get the Draco one (still holding out for Solon!) or the Phoenix Megazord, which they could easily spin as him having personally built.

We don’t know yet (word is Ollie will get turned evil or something for the first few episodes of the show). Even weirder, a recent screenshot shows Aiyon piloting the Bear

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Aug 24, 2023

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Not even the first in that season

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I hope they get cameos of the non-ranger Kyu suits in. It'd be fun to see some incarnations of Raptor, Champ, and Balance again.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Senerio posted:

Not even the first in that season

He only existed in a dream sequence but technically yes

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Anybody still keeping up with the comic? Or possibly comics?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

This series also might be the end of PR (at least for a while). All the signs are there:

• Lightning Collection coming to end
• Anemic toy line for Cosmic Fury
• NZ production closing
• Breaks being applied to the development of S31
• Emerging brand category being dropped in April, which means PR will no longer be a focus for investment.
• In November, they listed PR as a brand that would get investment after the sale of eOne, but then after the sale (in August), they dropped Power Rangers from the list of the brands that would be getting new projects.

The only "sign" that they have plans for after CF is that they are hiring a brand manager for PR. That, and at the start of the year they said in 2024 Power Rangers would go back to plastic window packaging.
But those are tiny signs, which are dwarfed by everything else much bigger that hint at it not continuing.

There's also a lot of stuff being packed into this small miniseries and they aren't even doing longer episodes to compensate (though apparently the show was originally planned as 20 episodes but Hasbro cut it in half). Hopefully they can still pull it off and give us something on the level of PRiS/RPM to go out on

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Dawgstar posted:

The only thing I know is that they're doing a big zombie storyline

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

First look at the Orange CF Ranger suit:

Underwhelming to be sure but also about what I expected (Fern becoming a main character/Ranger is still cool though)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Aug 24, 2023

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Dawgstar posted:

It went back to a single line, the current storyline is Rita coming back and working for Dark Specter directly. Zedd made himself a morpher to fight her!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

New CF clip, confirming Mick’s return (though a lot of it’s basically a Dino Fury recap):

https://youtube.com/watch?v=_Iv0CHNrS-A

More Kelson Henderson is always welcome in my opinion

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Aug 28, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

And we have a proper trailer:

https://www.netflix.com/title/81586549?trg=more&trkid=13747225&s=a&vlang=en&clip=81705757

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Is that Deathryuger??

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

Is that Deathryuger??

With KyoryuNavy’s helmet it seems, yes (also it seems Heckyl is coming back and most likely will be the one in the suit).

So counting Billy’s return and Fern becoming an Orange Ranger that gives us 9 confirmed rangers so far, we’ll see if they manage to squeeze any more in

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Sep 1, 2023

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I really haven't cared for any morpher, suit, or megazord since In Space, but hot drat are these suits pretty.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

People have been so negative with the main complaint that the torso is too plain and there's nothing breaking up the color, but that's really only a problem with the green one. Everybody else has some kind of unique visual flourish to their costume that kind of adds accent to movement.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Everyone is still in the Ryusoulger suits here, but looks like Zayto is maybe getting a suit that looks less dogshit

e: wow actually that's the same suit, it just looks a lot better in motion

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Sockser posted:

Everyone is still in the Ryusoulger suits here, but looks like Zayto is maybe getting a suit that looks less dogshit

e: wow actually that's the same suit, it just looks a lot better in motion

Apparently the suit change won’t happen until a few episodes in (the OP shows the rangers piloting the Kyuranger zords while still wearing their old uniforms)

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I see there's some kind of controversy with the franchise (at least, from what I could glimmer on Twitter), something about taking the tokusatsu out of Power Rangers or something. Can someone explain to me what happened? It sounds very silly and that makes me curious.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'm not on Twitter anymore but in general over the last few years the show has contained less and less Japanese footage. Dino Fury was almost entirely new footage except zords.

Cosmic Fury the same, but also entirely original suits and weapons.

They are working on a reboot that will probably contain no Japanese footage.

But regardless of all that it is tokusatsu. Having Sentai footage or not having it doesn't make it more or less so.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Simon Bennett (now former producer) said he thought PR needed to break off from Sentai to have a future. It sounds kind of like the thing you say when you realize almost every fan you talk to is talking to you about Kyiranger-this and Donbrothers-that. Being on Twitter and fairly approachable there he is likely acutely aware of just how many people are downloading this stuff on the weekly compared to the early days when Sentai was kind of a secret sauce.

But when asked what PR does that's unique as a superhero property, his answers included stuff inherited from the show's JP origins like bright suits and zords. So I'm not sure what he's getting at other than the obvious issue that recently Toei has been designing stuff on crack like they don't care if it comes across as batshit insane to any other market but domestic. (Or because we're no longer talking about when Sentai will be discontinued like we were five years ago, perhaps it's more that the Japanese market only likes Sentai when it's completely off-putting to Western superhero design.)

He also said that the Kyuranger suits were passed by because the toy companies (didn't say which one, assume both) don't like teams with physically distinct suits for each member, they want a generic body they can dip into different jars of paint and call it a day. Fuzzy rangers, bulky rangers, and rangers with non-humanoid proportions need not apply.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Sep 13, 2023

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

I know it is typical to associate tokusatsu stuff to super heros but I never have seen them as that

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.

Craptacular! posted:

perhaps it's more that the Japanese market only likes Sentai when it's completely off-putting to Western superhero design

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Siegkrow posted:

I know it is typical to associate tokusatsu stuff to super heros but I never have seen them as that

I've watched bits and pieces of older toku shows here and there and I honestly think the genre isn't that far off from early American superhero shows.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
The Greatest American Hero was tokusatsu

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The Incredible hulk was definitely
Wonder Woman absolutely as well

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
There is absolutely zero difference between the incredible hulk and Kamen Rider 71. There's zero difference between Ultraman and classic Doctor Who.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

There is absolutely zero difference between the incredible hulk and Kamen Rider 71. There's zero difference between Ultraman and classic Doctor Who.

I mean this in the nicest way possible, but I can't tell if you're being serious or not. This is probably on me, though, because I haven't really seen any of those.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Sep 13, 2023

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Danger 5 is a tokusatsu series (granted low hanging bar, because it actually parodies both Godzilla and Sentai at two different parts)

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The CW-verse is Tokusatsu

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Scaly Haylie posted:

I mean this in the nicest way possible, but I can't tell if you're being serious or not. This is probably on me, though, because I haven't really seen any of those.

Tokusatsu is less a genre and more of a production style. Doctor Who is indeed toku, as is Star Trek.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, literally speaking Tokusatsu just means “special effects” (or something along those lines anyway)

Slio
Jan 17, 2009

Xelkelvos posted:

The CW-verse is Tokusatsu

The big Crisis crossover had a showdown in a rock quarry, once you've reached that point it's a certainly that it's Tokusatsu

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Semantics. Got it.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Japan considers every Gerry Anderson show toku so yea i don't see a problem with any of these statements.

Funky Valentine posted:

Tokusatsu is less a genre and more of a production style. Doctor Who is indeed toku, as is Star Trek.

:hmmyes:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Reminder that Cosmic Fury drops on Netflix this Friday, also some new screenshots have come out recently showing not only are they using Kyuranger monster/villain suits but also some Zyuohger and LuPat ones as well:

https://twitter.com/Jinsakuu/status/1706781290127602147

The appearance of the Deathryuger suit and Mick returning as the Red Ninja Steel Ranger have also been confirmed (the latter can be seen above)

https://twitter.com/PwrRngr/status/1697548342459334966

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Sep 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

So that's a ranger cast of 9 so far, then?

Surely if they're doing 9, they're going to go for the full 12, right?