Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It's weird. Back in the day, everyone hated Carter for the reasons everyone seems to love him now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I specifically remember PR fans judging Carter in relation to Zordon's rules, which really shouldn't apply to him at all.

The same thing happened with Conner in Dino Thunder.

quote:

Not Tommy/Andros is a pretty good reason to hate someone, I think.

Andros is cool, but I am hyper ultra sick of Tommy.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Michael Bay also poisoned our water supply, burned our crops, and brought a plague upon all our houses.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I knew Bansheera was never gonna win any parenting awards but jesus christ her just laughing when Diabolico admitted she exiled her son to what is functionally hell.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Craptacular! posted:

Did the US Scorpina just have such a terrible time filming one episode that she never wanted to come back?

It's more they ran out of footage for her and just continually cheaped out and let her be forgotten.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Craptacular! posted:

I was thinking about the lady that showed up to woo Adam in season 2. She did a good enough job that I wouldn't have minded seeing her a few more times instead of Goldar since they had to make alternatives to Dairanger fights all the time.

That's what I mean.

She had no more usable fight footage and they didn't want to make more.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Lightspeed has some of my favorite villains. Aside from Vypra, I mean.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Jindrax and Toxica are two of the best minion characters in the franchise.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I mean, it's not like past shows put much meaning into a new zord showing up.

There'd be some talk about a character puttering in a lab or yet another ancient thingamajig waiting to be discovered and then it'd pop out of the ether.

And that's if it didn't already come with a character's powers.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It didn't feel to me like they were "game changers", though. At best it was matched against the arrival of a new super special bad guy who either underwent villain decay immediately after or died. And then the zords went to being treated like a standard part of the arsenal.

The carriers' massive size especially falls victim to this. There's never any real sense of power and impact for their size, until like, the base transforming in SPD. For at least half of its existence the zords are the least interesting part of Power Rangers.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

TwoPair posted:

You're telling me you don't appreciate Artillatron from Turbo? The zord whose only purpose in existence is to pass the Rescue Megazord its finisher? :v:

Argh

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'd give Samurai some slack for being a "transition" season if Megaforce weren't also total crap.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Wild Force certainly has its issues, but Jindrax and Toxica, Master Org's backstory, Merrick, and Zen Aku are all pretty great. I'm rather fond of Taylor, Max, Danny, and Alyssa, as well.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

drrockso20 posted:

Him and Green Samurai Ranger from Ninja Storm are definitely two of the best Sixth Rangers in the franchise

and we all know who the other best additional ranger is

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

so much budget Serpentera doesn't get a real fight.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Xelkelvos posted:

Yeah, Serpenterra basically got jobbed hard. That last scene is probably also clip-worthy.

well I mean, Serpentera being a complete let down is pretty consistent with everything else it's done. The drat thing never lived up to the hype even during MMPR.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Tommy is by far the least interesting thing about Dino Thunder. And of course he's the only thing people talk about.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Hey Fingercuffs posted:

Did they just kill all those people on the plane, cruise ship, and Ferris wheel the zords came in on?

no because those things are holograms for the portals the zords transport through.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Let's not pretend that Saban was the perfect steward of the property. He was awful to his actors and staff and did everything he could to avoid spending as much money as possible. The man once attributed his success to "five [ableistic pejorative] in spandex". He's been threatening legal action against people who merely make references to his property.

Yeah, he's helping the franchise succeed business-wise, but let's not forget the fact that he's gotten this far by stepping on a lot of people. And what's more for two whole shows he didn't give a hug whatsoever about the quality of it.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Zedd just forgetting about it is perfectly in character.

I mean the thing barely works to begin with.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

MisterBibs posted:

For edification, could you actually just quote him accurately?

Is it really so important that I uncensor the r-word?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I don't often feel uncomfortable even saying that much. I used to hear that poo poo all the time. It's not fun remembering that.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I remain the one person who will stan for Mystic Force.

quote:

Mystic Force and Operation Overdrive are the worst seasons, period.

No, that's pretty clearly Samurai and Megaforce.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Eddie Whitson posted:

OO is pretty garbage too. It might have the most unlikable group of Rangers ever.

I'd still call Samurai and MF worse because, at the very least, I got the sense that the actors in Overdrive were at least trying, whereas the other two had a cast who were continually dead eying the cameras and being told not to put too much into their performances because this was a kids' show.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Tae posted:

I can laugh at how loving awful samurai and megaforce are.

I'm jealous because I can't muster anything but apathy looking at them, and frustration that everything is approached with the absolute zero amount of effort possible. It's all so aggressively mediocre in how it avoids being terrible enough to at least be able to make jokes about it.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

But like, it's also important to note, that Disney didn't start out not giving a poo poo about PR. NS, DT, SPD, and MF were given lots of attention; Jetix was structured AROUND Power Rangers. Burkion mentioned "Dark Wish" - I remember how they promoted it as basically a TV movie. It was only after Operation Overdrive that they started marginalizing the franchise.

Somewhere along the line they just stopped getting a return on their investment.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

There's a light. In the distance. See them coming closer.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

MisterBibs posted:

With or without the force of ages? This is important.

Yes, but unfortunately you have to wait for centuries gone by.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Conner is still my favorite red of all time. I don't care what anyone says.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Star Man posted:

So why did Disney want to kill the show? Was it succeeding and they were embarrassed by it?

It was costly to produce and not doing as well as they hoped.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Honestly, Conner's moments of jerkishness and being selfish sell the promise of "teenagers with attitude" far better than MMPR ever did.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Man, Tommy's ranger history video doesn't even mention Trey was the gold ranger before and after Jason.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Justin_Brett posted:

Tommy you probably could have cut the recap after you, y'know, stopped being a Ranger.

That would defeat the point of the entire episode and make it a pretty terrible tribute.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

That was just speculation. Zeltrax was never meant to be anything other than what he was. He was never Goldar, Billy, Jason, or whomever. Doug Sloan has said as much over the years.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Hey Fingercuffs posted:

Man that must have been a sweet contract. A whole season where they only use your voice and you get to go off and do whatever while also being the main pull for the series.

He would later repay this by poo poo talking Disney and saying they added nothing of worth to the franchise.

This was around the time he was jockeying to come back in Megaforce and they weren't sending invitations to Disney season actors.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

So here's a fun fact.

During the filming for the episode where Kira's "Patiently" song debuts Mesogog actor Latham Gaines was also on set to film some scenes. He was sitting around with nothing to do in full make up... and he had the idea to do his own take on the same song.

Somewhere on a shelf somewhere there's footage of Mesogog singing a pop song.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Honestly though one thing rewatching Dino Thunder has reminded me

These characters feel a lot more like real kids. They tease and make fun of each other. They get on each other's nerves beyond Episode Specific Conflicts. And yet you never doubt they're friends and teammates.

It all feels so much more genuine than the seasons where they all spend their time being Socially Responsible Ethical Role Models who only quarrel as part of a compressed vice or Zedd and Rita shooting them with a jerkass ray.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Burkion posted:

He's not really but he does let this whole thing get to his head now and again. At least if Bulk and Skull's actors are to be believed I've never gotten to meet him myself.

The guy is an egomaniac at the very least. It's an open secret that he never appears with Austin St. John at conventions or other outings and demands that he always be given top billing and that nothing ever be allowed to upstage him. Then there's how he tried manipulating the anniversary Morphin Madness poll to try and get all of his ranger forms, and his aforementioned shittalking of the Disney seasons despite all the attention they gave him for DT and allowances for absences during filming.

Not to mention, given how he's shown himself to be pretty much a fundie Christian, the way you can just see David Yost flinch when JDF gets in his space in recorded footage of the MMPR set, and the fact the two of them have never made any public appearances together in years since... well. I think you can draw conclusions about his involvement in certain black marks on the franchise's history.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Burkion posted:

NO I don't think you loving can.

David Yost has never been shy about calling out the fact the production team bullied and belittled him.

The PRODUCTION team.

He has never once said or implied that his fellow actors did any of that, nor has literally anyone else.

Make jokes about his ego all you want, but you're crossing a very different line there with absolutely zero proof.

If David Yost has said different, that's one thing, but he never has to my knowledge.

I was referencing cinemablend's article about his interview, which mentions the cast and crew. If that's an erroneous description of what he says in the No Pink Spandex review then so be it.

But regardless. I was referencing this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvLwO8QZI7Q

Yost's expressions once JDF invades his space are not that of one who is comfortable around the other person. He goes from relaxed to visibly more tense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

parallelodad posted:

Yeah, I think RPM is the only series with a "sixth" ranger girl, and her twin ranger brother.

That was Samurai. And they simultaneously adhered too close to the Sentai plot line while totally screwing up the context in which it worked.