Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Is this that season where they can turn into any Power Ranger from the past or summon other Rangers or whatever? Because the two gifs I saw of that hit my nostalgia buttons pretty hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

jivjov posted:

That would be Gokaiger.
I meant the Power Rangers season, not the Sentai season.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Ask him if Tommy Oliver was named after him.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Though to be fair they did use the clamps to remove the helmets on screen in MMPR Season 2.
That confused me as a kid. In what way were they morphing if they were just spandex costumes with latched-on helmets?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Super Megaforce sounds like a parody title.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

All these years, and they still can't get the Dragon Shield right for the American version.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Did that new episode with Tommy in it air yet?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

jivjov posted:

I really enjoyed the old team half of Turbo...the actual handoff was horrifically lazily done, but I'm enjoying the new team as well (even if Selwyn Ward really needs some time to catch his stride int he ADR department.)
I had no idea they were changing the cast, but the moment I saw five new characters all wearing different colored shirts, I knew it was all over. Checked out after one episode.

I love how JDF still refers to getting shitcanned from Power Rangers as "going to a peace conference in Switzerland."

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

FuhrerHat posted:

I think this is one of those situations where: if you recognize it as racist, you in actuality happen to be part of the problem.
People pointing out racism are the real racists, amirite?

I'm of the mind that this is tasteless for two reasons, and pointing that out really shouldn't be as big a deal as people are making it.

"It's a little hosed up."

"Sure is."

is about all the conversation this warrants.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The most realistic part of this show is that the bullies became cops.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

You gotta' go away to come back.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

drrockso20 posted:

Anyone else kinda surprised in retrospect that there's been no crossover between Power Rangers and the world of professional wrestling, either officially or in the form of someone from one franchise jumping to the other, at least to my knowledge
When he was still in developmental, Xavier Woods was billed as being from Angel Grove, California and shouted "it's morphin' time!" before he hit his finisher.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

drrockso20 posted:

The New Day would make an excellent Power Rangers team
But why would we have three black rangers and no others?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Star Man posted:

Jason David Frank is probably a dues-paying member of the NRA.
This doesn't really jibe well with the spirituality of martial arts, so that's disappointing.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

FilthyImp posted:

It's like he kicked a zord!
Which, I guess he did when he went Big Evil Tommy.

And the secondary mutation of being a giant ungrateful dick when you hamstring production because you want to visit the family but don't credit the show for letting you gently caress off.
I thought it was a karate tournament his dojo was attending and he told them ahead of time that that would be the case.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Is there any way to watch the special aside from on tv? Does it go up on a website tomorrow or anything?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Craptacular! posted:

90s culture war Democrats
It's weird that despite right-wingers leading almost all of the censorship movements for religious reasons, people have taken positions Tipper Gore and Hilary Clinton took in the 90s and used them to hang the censorship of art at democrats' feet to this day, as if the democratic party gives a single gently caress about boobies in a prestige drama or whatever.

It's only censorship when lefties complain about art. Not when right-wingers try to actually censor it.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Blaze Dragon posted:

Gee they sure are putting a lot of spotlight on those two completely random new characters, I wonder why. Naaah, probably no reason whatsoever. I can't believe how blatant all of these changes were, I never noticed them as a kid...
The moment I saw TJ and everybody running and they were wearing ranger colors, I realized they were about to change over the whole team and stopped following power rangers forever.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Tommy hanging out with Dawn Summers, Ritchie Valens, and Jack Bauer.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Not faces, just hairdos. His current, normal adult hair. His dino thunder Guy Fieri hair. His long let it flow I'm native American now hair. His classic ponytail.
You forgot the mullet.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

I remember kid Rocky having one but not Tommy
I think he had one when he first came on pre-ponytail but he wore a bandanna a lot so I'm not entirely sure.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Has there ever been a worse actor who got by solely on his natural charisma? It's like, we all know he's a terrible actor and none of us cares because dawwww.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Sockser posted:

Id be fine with Tommy and JDF being the absolute indominatable most legendary ranger ever if JDF didn’t jerk himself off so loving much. Dude is a C list celebrity pretending to be a high B lister
Dude parlayed a lifetime association with a children's television show where nobody made any money into a successful dojo and doesn't really pretend to be an actor beyond Power Rangers even though he was in MTV's Undressed right after.

I seriously doubt he thinks of himself as anything but convention famous, which is a pretty sweet level to be at if you ask me.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Need to start vetting red rangers a little better.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

You're not gonna' pay us worth a gently caress? Cool. I'll take stuff then.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Craptacular! posted:

Never knew until now that I wanted a crossover of rangers with Bill & Ted.
The rare "now you've been kicked out of your own room" deep cut.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Burkion posted:

Cybertron goodness
Thank you for the effortpost.

The two projects I've always wanted to know more about were Cybertron, and Tattooed Teenage Alien Fighters from Beverly Hills, and Superhuman Samurai Sybersquad, so I super appreciate you checking off one of those boxes for me.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Kilokhan is a rad villain name for a computer person.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

JT Smiley posted:

In Chicago it came on while I was on the school bus so I only managed to see less than five episodes to this day.
It was in the timeslot right before I had to leave to walk to school, so I'd spend my whole walk thinkin' about it, and VR Troopers.

This was after Power Rangers moved from mornings to the afternoons in my market.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I'd come back for that.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Ninjor sounding like Dudley Do-Right wasn't when I stopped watching (that came in Turbo with the cast switch,) but I came very, very close.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Scaly Haylie posted:

Hey everyone long time no post, Toei nuked my channel. If anyone's interested in a big fat zip full of my ranger edits, shoot me a PM.
I'm so sorry. What a loving crock.

Fair use is meaningless.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Larryb posted:

JDF... reportedly huge rear end in a top hat
Aw, dang. I'd only ever heard good things about him aside from being a profoundly weird dude.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Larryb posted:

Reportedly he was one of the crewmembers that gave David Yost poo poo over the latter’s sexuality and he’s a bit of an egotist that let the fame he got from appearing on a children’s superhero show go to his head to the point where he helped start his own vanity project:

https://en.everybodywiki.com/Legend_of_the_White_Dragon

As mentioned a few posts above he was apparently a huge shill for Haim Saban as well
The world is full of reflexive defense of entirely lovely things by people who just want to keep liking thing/person, so I hope announcing that I know that, as well as telling you I'm autistic, will allay that anxiety as I ask the following: do these things rise to the level of us writing the guy off?

Amy Jo Johnson used her Power Rangers fame to crowdfund a flick and people seemed to think it was just fine. And being a bootlick for the person who gave you your big break in show business and made you financially is cringe and eye-roll inducing, but it isn't really all that uncommon, though yeah, in this case, Saban being such a poo poo makes it pretty teeth-sucking, but I don't know if I'd cancel the guy over it.

The homophobia on the other hand? Yikes. Is there a source on that I can break my own heart with and then get on with my life having discovered another childhood hero hates me?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I certainly don't like that about him, that's for sure.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Considering there are five+ new rangers every year, it'd be a bigger shock of some of them didn't turn out to be shits.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Darth TNT posted:

I'm probably oversimplifying, but JDF keeps coming back to his only famous part in various capacities in a kids show about people in shiny spandex. This includes dumb poo poo like dressing up as Drakon for battle of the grid. And he keeps being asked back. If anything, that tells me he has a humble/good side to him. There's far too many people who think they've outgrown old kids stuff they did when they were young.
For real. People always shat on Jaleel White for being Urkel and that dude never, ever, ever has to work another day in his life or do anything he doesn't want to do. He's covered. Why would I ever feel like he's a failure for extracting a ton of money out of an industry designed not to share it just because he didn't become Brad Pitt?

Plus JDF runs a karate dojo. That's his real job. Every time he does Power Rangers poo poo it's free advertising for his business. Those MMA fights? Same poo poo. He's not playing the game we think he's playing. He's leveraging the success he had in one field to excel in another.

Add in what you said about how he doesn't think himself above or too good for the people who made him successful and the only teeth-sucking I can muster for the guy is the Christian stuff.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I maintain that sex pest is a name rapists *want* to be called.

It makes what they do seem almost cute.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I had no idea Day of the Dumpster wasn't the pilot or that there was a different yellow ranger. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Splint Chesthair posted:

That’s what the American movie Megazord should have looked like.
The decision to do an entire movie that works in-continuity, then making it non-canon anyway and re-explaining all of the elements from it in different ways in the show just makes my head spin.

They sacrificed the recognizability of their toy, opting instead to use what the show was about to use next, for no benefit whatsoever.