Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Well the T-Rex was a robot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

Well the T-Rex was a robot

It's like he kicked a zord!
Which, I guess he did when he went Big Evil Tommy.

Coq au Nandos posted:

The power to conveniently miss a chunk of filming while you're 'stuck' morphed, and then 'stuck' invisible.
And the secondary mutation of being a giant ungrateful dick when you hamstring production because you want to visit the family but don't credit the show for letting you gently caress off.

VvV
I heard it was being away from the family while in Oz, but I'll gladly recant if I hard some bullshit about that, because it basically sounded like he didn't give the show any credit for giving him a wide berth.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Aug 23, 2018

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

FilthyImp posted:

It's like he kicked a zord!
Which, I guess he did when he went Big Evil Tommy.

And the secondary mutation of being a giant ungrateful dick when you hamstring production because you want to visit the family but don't credit the show for letting you gently caress off.
I thought it was a karate tournament his dojo was attending and he told them ahead of time that that would be the case.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Pretty sure it was both

And also pretty sure he wasn't a dick for not being able to transport his entire life over seas for the time it'd take to film a full season of Power Rangers when he let them know ahead of time

Like this bile against JDF for *THAT* of all things is really stupid guys. It's not like he sprung it on the production company and left them in a lurch. It was a known fact ahead of time, worked into his contract.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

He said some pretty ungrateful things about the Disney seasons around the time of Megaforce, at least.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Not gonna hold that against him. The way they handled Legendary Battle was atrocious.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

... Disney didn't have anything to do with that. It was all Saban.

What JDF did was basically disparage the Disney seasons and praise Saban for bringing back the "real" Power Rangers. This was around the time he was getting the biggest role out of any of the returning rangers in Megaforce.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Here's the thing

First- Disney was poo poo. Disney did poo poo with the property and would have killed it after Mystic Force if they were legally allowed to.

Second- Of course he was. Power Rangers had new owners and he wanted to keep up a good face with them. I'm sure if the transition between Saban and Hasbro was as dire as the one between Disney and Saban, he'd have things to say about Saban as well.

Also Disney is poo poo. Just, the seasons they made were good despite the parent company, never because. The way they treated actors was awful. Almost as bad as Megaforce.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Nodosaur posted:

He said some pretty ungrateful things about the Disney seasons around the time of Megaforce, at least.

That was just kissing Saban's rear end

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It will never happen but I really would be ecstatic if Hasbro brought production back to America and used Union crew

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

And you're acting like the new Saban prior to the Dino Charge era was any better? Not inviting actors from an entire era back? Giving the ones they DID lovely compensation for appearing in the anniversary? Jen's actress was actually invited and she had some very choice things to say, including the fact that appearing on the show would involve her actually losing money.

Disney had its share of problems, but he's not just throwing Disney the executives under the bus, he's throwing the cast and crew who built an entire season around him under the bus too. And he did it because he was the one actor they treated like he was a big deal in that entire mess of a crossover.

And he said this at a time when Saban had produced four seasons that are near universally agreed to be Power Rangers' worst.

I've softened my opinion on JDF a lot, I'm cool with him now, but in those specific moments, in that specific context, those comments were undoubtedly lovely.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Aug 23, 2018

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Disney era on the whole was better than either the Saban or NeoSaban era, show quality wise. I don't know anything about production though. I seem to recall seeing rangers at Disney theme park events and stuff, I don't think they totally hated or ignored them. They took Emma Lahana from PR directly into DCOMs.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Nodosaur posted:

And you're acting like the new Saban prior to the Dino Charge era was any better?

Burkion posted:

Also Disney is poo poo. Just, the seasons they made were good despite the parent company, never because. The way they treated actors was awful. Almost as bad as Megaforce.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

so... how are you arguing his comments are justified? He could have used his clout to make things better for the returning actors, or hell, even get the Disney rangers an actual invite. But he wasn't making any real commentary about Disney, he was just trying to buddy up to Tzachor and Haim.

In what way is any of that not him being lovely?

JDF seems to be past this phase, and I can forgive him, but again. That wasn't cool.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Because he was, again, kissing up to what were basically his bosses.

Also

Saban sought to fix the problems of Megaforce, firing the guy responsible for most of those problems.

Disney doubled down and fired the guy making the best season of Power Rangers in years and then made MMPR Remastered.

So I'm still a bit more lenient for Disney. Like, I don't condone what JDF was doing, but the man basically wanted to stay employed with the future of the franchise. Woulda been awkward if Disney acquired PR again though

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Didn't the guy making RPM burn through the budget, like a kids show Bryan Fuller?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

JDF could have praised Disney to the high heavens and Haim would have still given him a starring role in stuff. He's not going to tell the most popular Power Ranger he's replaceable.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Didn't the guy making RPM burn through the budget, like a kids show Bryan Fuller?

They never released definitive answers for why he was fired, just a lot of rumors. Other rumors were that he was taking too long on each episode and going over schedule

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Today on Power Rangers, an inconsequential villain dies.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Burkion posted:

They never released definitive answers for why he was fired, just a lot of rumors. Other rumors were that he was taking too long on each episode and going over schedule

Like a kids show Bryan Fuller

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

https://twitter.com/Dance10Nico/status/1032462907936780288?s=19

This such a bad idea I'm glad they didn't go that direction.

Only acceptable way to dump someone is a dear John letter.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

This such a bad idea I'm glad they didn't go that direction.

Only acceptable way to dump someone is a dear John letter.

That would have been ridiculously awkward. Possibly more so because I doubt they would have touched on it much.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

That would have been ridiculously awkward. Possibly more so because I doubt they would have touched on it much.

This.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Really hoping the board game hits at least a few more stretch goals in the next two weeks so I can really feel like I got my money's worth if I buy in for the full $240.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

SpazmasterX posted:

Really hoping the board game hits at least a few more stretch goals in the next two weeks so I can really feel like I got my money's worth if I buy in for the full $240.

I need them to hit $315K for playable Green Ranger. If they hit the goal that gives you a box to store all of this I’m also fine.

I really enjoyed what I played of it at PMC. Kimberly might be slightly OP, which is fine with me. She’s my favorite of the original 5.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
When people say “Disney”, they mean Village Roadshow producing the show with Disney writing the checks. Village Roadshow seemingly tried to put out a good show, though Kalish’s writing was pretty, preeeeetty bad. This lead to low ratings, and led to Disney being tired of writing checks.

And you can’t say Disney harmed the franchise for that. Saban got tired of writing checks after Turbo.

JDF knows how to suck up to corporate masters, and that if he can make 1% of the money Haim does from the property that he’d be rich by the standards of a guy who grew up wanting to own a dojo. The DinoThunder production worked around his schedule, and he disparaged the whole thing later as an ego appeal to the billionaire who was running the show as a pet investment project.

Honestly I don’t know anything about how “Disney” treated actors, but the AUS/NZ stage actors they were bringing into the show for a few years were often pretty good. You had some bad accent work, but it’s not like I in my Bubble Of American Cultural Dominance ever knew who James Napier was before Power Rangers, but he was better at acting than a great number of Power Rangers.

If the Disney actors got poo poo like the people before them, that’s too bad. It was kind of a masterstrike move to improve the quality of the acting, even if they might run out of young Auz actors by the way Sentai casts are growing.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Hey all!

Slight bit of self-promotion: I somehow managed to convince IndieWire to let me write a piece on some of the most surreal moments in PR history to date, and it just went up today. Check it out!

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Abaranger, not Akibaranger.

Blech, that typo's on me. Getting them to fix it!

Hewlett fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Aug 23, 2018

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

This is a shameful article. :colbert:

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Xelkelvos posted:

This is a shameful article. :colbert:

I do indeed feel sufficient shame.

Fixed!

Hewlett fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Aug 23, 2018

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Morby posted:

I need them to hit $315K for playable Green Ranger. If they hit the goal that gives you a box to store all of this I’m also fine.

I really enjoyed what I played of it at PMC. Kimberly might be slightly OP, which is fine with me. She’s my favorite of the original 5.

For me at least, getting to at least the Dragon Shield Red Ranger would be good, the thicker punchboards would great, and the storage box would be awesome. Well worth it.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Today on Power Rangers, some kinda jet-ski gundam. Also, plot developments!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

RV Rita and Zedd as pseudo protagonists are the best Rita and Zedd.

https://twitter.com/boomstudios/status/1032697281315631104?s=19

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

18 years later, Carter looks so much better without that terrible LSR haircut, and Vypra looks better than ever.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bm32dzMDTmx/?utm_source=ig_twitter_share&igshid=27qwgh7k9120

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Today on Power Rangers, the one episode of Zeo I actually remember.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I always wondered what the deal with this episode’s monster what supposed to be, since it has gold ranger symbols on it and I’ve noticed that since this aired.

Turns out, it IS the gold ranger as a monster.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I like how Tommy just immediately goes "yeah, I guess I'm a bloodthirsty conqueror, mwa ha ha!"

Like, he's just inherently an evil dude, I think.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
PR Now review of the Drakkon finale is a little bit of a gush piece, but still revealing:

quote:

“Power Rangers: Shattered Grid Finale starts off with immediate action. Serpentera is back, and every one of your favorite heroes from the past 25 television seasons plays a part in the high-octane action. (...)
The end result? One of the most fascinating, colorful battles in franchise history, and one of the coolest Zord transformations ever to be conceived as told by writer Kyle Higgins.”

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I love that for an extended stretch Rita, Zedd and all were living out of a camper not unlike Pearl Forrester, Brain Guy and Bobo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

I love that for an extended stretch Rita, Zedd and all were living out of a camper not unlike Pearl Forrester, Brain Guy and Bobo.

Come on, it's not like they have someone trapped in a cheesy looking sci-fi installation with only robots for company and no way of interacting with the outside world except by watching cheap rubber monster movies on a screen....