Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Elephanthead posted:

I don't think cop cars fall under epa testing requirements. Do you even have a cat?

They're just normal cars, they have cats (two per side on some models) and there are no exemptions when in civilian hands. The cops probably don't have to get 'em tested, but they don't exactly have plates on 'em either. My old '93 CVPI got the sniffer twice during the time I owned it, anything '96 and up would get the plug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

14 INCH DETECTIVE posted:

I'll be ohming out mine too, I just did an Olympia run and netted 20mpg round trip freeway. I mean I know its not a civic but I've read people getting mid 20s up to a high of 28 so figured it'd be something to look into.

What rear end do you have? I had the highway cruiser 2.73:1 in mine and my best was 26 MPG while on cruise control at about 65 pretty much drafting my parents' RV across a few flat midwestern states. My average in normal conditions was around 18, maybe up to 22 if I had a lot of highway time. I don't think those gears were available in later P71s and the whales had slightly worse aerodynamics so 20 doesn't sound terrible.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Delivery McGee posted:

I think those are the older style. They changed to the flatter ones when they changed the wheel offset to fit a half-decent suspension in '03. I think I read somewhere that the tall small-diameter ones were also an option on the Ranger.

Yup, I had those same mini-caps on my near-base '03 Ranger.

edit: I had a full set of leather seats out of a Marquis in my '93. The plugs for the power seats were already there, it was just a few bolts then plug-and-play.

edit2: vvvvv drat right. With the benches at both ends that car fit six in sufficient comfort for road trips, plus luggage. My record was twelve on a Hooters run in college, but that involved the trunk.

T1g4h posted:

Not gonna lie, I keep getting tempted to replace my two front buckets with a bench but then I am reminded that as bad as I slide in the stock seats in my P71 during hard cornering, a bench would be infinitely worse :v:

The nice benches have dual folding armrests in the middle which are solid enough to plant against during corners. It's certainly not as good as a bucket, but you don't slide around as bad as you'd think.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Mar 26, 2013

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

angryhampster posted:

Good god...you could import one from the US for significantly cheaper. That is a $10,000-12,000 car.

Yeah, I don't know what importing it would cost, but this is just the best of the first page of results around me:

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/3633577433.html
http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/cto/3684290509.html

Both appear to be in far better condition at a fraction of the price (looks like USD and AUD are pretty close to parity at the moment). RHD conversion might be a bitch if that's a requirement though.

I'd gladly drive anything from my area out to a west coast port for the cost of fuel though, that could make for an interesting road trip when you have a vehicle you can not only sleep in but stretch out in.

edit: Man it's a good thing I live in an apartment, if I had a place to put a limo there's a chance I'd be making some calls right now.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Apr 1, 2013

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

11BulletCatcher posted:

Also, is it better to turbo or super a vic, in the context of street use, and what would it take to do it at a fair price? I dream of shutting up locals like the guy who spit on the Grand Marquis I sold my brother and called it a POS while revving his 90's 'Stang.

Supercharging is a lot simpler. From time to time kits have been available, though I'm not sure if that's currently the case, and in general stuff designed for equivalent Mustangs can be adapted with relative ease.

I'd like to see more turbo Panthers being messed with just because I love the sound of turbos spooling ever so slightly more than blower whine (though that's eargasmic in many cases as well), but it's not hard to see why they're not more common. For as large of a car as these are there are some tight spaces in inconvenient places as far as plumbing a turbo system is concerned.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Beach Bum posted:

Would it be unreasonable to expect a Vic to be able to tow a flatbed car trailer with a race-prepped E30 on it? I think I'm going to pick up a PI from an auction as a DD and finally do away with the whole dual-purpose DD/AutoX car deal. I just want to be sure I'm not going to need three vehicles to get my racecar to the track.

The official towing rating tanked some time in the mid '90s, I'm not sure why. It was 5000 pounds, later models were 2000. I don't think the change lined up with the whale body bringing the watt's linkage, so that shouldn't have been it. In either case, it's a big vehicle with a ladder frame and the same basic drivetrain as a F-150. It should tow quite well if equipped with a proper hitch. The air suspension models will probably be better since they can autolevel, but no idea on the specifics.

Make sure you have the sport package or a P71 for the tranny cooler of course. I think there was even a towing package back in the 5k rating days.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

leica posted:

Tow ratings tanked because of the watts linkage. Not sure exactly why that is, if someone can explain why the addition of watts linkage would effectively ruin towing capacity that would be great.

I just checked and the tow rating dropped in '96 (towing package last offered in 1995), the watts linkage came in '98, so it doesn't look like that was the reason. There doesn't seem to be any change to the actual car that would matter even in the general timeframe (the transmission change in '95 doesn't fit, as the 4R70W is just some minor tweaks on the AODE and is generally regarded as being stronger). I'm wondering if there may have been a legal reason for the change, either a change to actual law or a loss/close call in court that made Ford paranoid.

Was the Explorer tire thing going yet in '96? I don't think that was for another few years, but if that had started I could see why Ford might have backed off any of their primarily passenger vehicles.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Apr 21, 2013

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Poisonlizard posted:

The same transmission was offered in F150's, so that can't be it.

Yeah the AOD-based AODE/4R70W/4R75W platform was universal across 4.6L RWD vehicles to my knowledge, everything from the Mustang to the Econoline got it. The 5.4L trucks got the heavier C6-based 4R100.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Red_October_7000 posted:

Just for the sake of argument, what else fits in the 4.6's place? 460 Big-block? 10cyl. from a van? I bet if the 10cyl. fit it'd go like stink. I've always had the idea kicking around my head to combine the frame and suspension from a P71 with the body of an old square Town Car, the 10-cylinder motor from a commercial truck, and some kind of stick-shift. Is that just a pipe-dream, or something do-able?

People have swapped in pretty much everything in the Modular family, but in general the community position seems to be that it's not worth the trouble to do anything but build up 2V 4.6s. The DOHC engines have clearance problems with the valvetrain, IIRC the V10 had accessory mounting issues, and the 5.4L 2V doesn't breathe well at high RPMs and is thus more suited for truck use.

There's such an aftermarket available for the plain old 2V that it's just not worth the trouble.

edit: forgot the second part.

Stick shift however is perfectly doable on the other hand and is rather simple, as far as swapping a manual in where one never was can be. From memory it's mostly cut a hole in the floor and bolt in Mustang bits. You'll need a custom length driveshaft and I think the Mustang pedal assembly needs slight modification (it was either the Panther or the MN12 T-Bird I remember this from). The ECU will complain about the lack of a transmission, but if the auto shifter is in neutral it'll run fine (in park it limits RPM). EEC-IV and EEC-V systems are well known, so any tuning shop that does Ford ECUs can make it happy and I think even a few of the handheld programmers might do it.

ExtremeODD posted:

For a direct axle swap (guts and housing) is it only the 89-02 vics and Grand Marquis that will work?

The reason it cuts off at '02 is the '03 models got a new chassis which also moved the hubs further out up front, I assume the rear axle was likewise widened. If you see a '98-02 parked next to an '03+ the difference in wheel offset is pretty obvious.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 04:38 on May 9, 2013

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
It's worth noting that NMO CB antennas are not exactly common, it's mostly used for business and amateur radio which need smaller antennas for their higher frequencies. I wouldn't use a CB antenna with a glass-mount anyways, my Larsen NMO27B is tall enough that its bent my trunk lid a bit around the mount. Glass won't bend, but it might break.

Most CB antennas will be built for the counterpart to that connector, the SO-239 socket. Which is really stupid, since those are not waterproof with the antennas removed.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Motronic posted:

The antenna you chose is an 11 meter 1/4 wave beast and yeah....it's gonna bend a lip mount. Most of them aren't so bulky and even the one you chose shouldn't bend a properly installed drill through NMO mount.

Mine's a drilled mount, its just a big whip. That's the deal with CB though, anything smaller just isn't great.

The old lip mount actually did less damage to the metal, but destroyed the paint and provided unreliable grounding at best.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Oct 11, 2013

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAWuHvVCI6g

Some guys from Ford SVT worked on this one for One Lap a while back, it has the Terminator motor in it with "a few tweaks" making a pile of power.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Bitchtard posted:

But these are special SPEED tires. For SPEED.

I told him I don't drive any faster than the limit and he started insisting that my car is too big for regular tires and I needed these special SPEED tires.

They've done good work for me in the past and I'm happy with them, but that whole experience sure was disappointing.

Many shops will not install a tire with a lower speed rating than the OEM offering. Tire Rack only lists V-rated (149 MPH) tires as OE even for civilian models, so that might be it right there.

Anyways don't cheap out on tires. They're the absolute last place you want to compromise no matter the vehicle, especially going worse than the OEM offering. Use cheap oil and burn cheap gas to make up the difference if you have to, this car won't complain about either.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Pham Nuwen posted:

I just need to figure out why it's only getting 16-17 mpg.

Because it's a box body Panther? My aero ('93) was only good for about 18 MPG average, though I got 26 out of it once while drafting my parents' RV the whole way back from Indiana.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Pham Nuwen posted:

I was hoping for better because a lot of guys on CV.net boast 20+ in their boxes, and my dad says he used to get 20+ in his. I guess I need to do a long highway trip and see what happens.

Highway helps, but you also have to remember that a lot of the guys on CVN are old farts. They drive a lot slower than you probably do.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

metallicaeg posted:

I know that the 03+ suspension is a good bit different, but my '00 doesn't like to be driven fast. The suspension is mush, the tires roll around, and in spite of having big discs with twin pot calipers up front you're still trying to slow down two tons of car.

I think it was Matt Farah or maybe Mike Musto on the Smoking Tire podcast recently compared a late-model Panther to a modernized rebuild of a muscle car as far as suspension and handling, and I think it's a reasonable comparison. It's using a lot of modern parts and doing things as right as they can be, but in the end it's still a body-on-frame platform that dates to the '70s. That's not to say it's necessarily bad when set up right, but it'll never compare to a modern unibody car with reasonably sane suspension.

I grew up driving trucks, my '93 CVPI was my first actual car, so to me it handled great but that's a matter of where my standards were calibrated at the time. Compared to an F-150 or a Ranger most cars handle pretty decently.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jan 14, 2015

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

SouthsideSaint posted:

Plastic ford manifolds SUCK DICK! In panther chat why are exhaust manifolds such an easy job on a Grand Marquis but a bitch and a half on a Lincoln....

DOHC vs. SOHC?

edit: Huh, I could have sworn the Town Cars got the "InTech" DOHC version of the 4.6 but apparently that was only in the Continental, Mark VIII, and Aviator.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 01:18 on May 27, 2015

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Ok then what about the 32valve motors? is it a direct bolt in or are the heads to big?

The engine itself fits but there are clearance issues with other things in the engine bay, IIRC it was something mounted on the firewall that caused the biggest issue. I think it was one of those things where you could move things around and/or not hook up certain "optional" accessories like A/C and it would fit.

I'm pretty sure any of the roots-style superchargers require additional hood clearance with a cowl style setup or a hole.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jun 3, 2015

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I went from 40/0/40 manual cloth seats in my '93 P71 to a 50/50 power leather bench from a GM and it was plug-and-play. The power wire was already there and just plugged right in. All the controls were on the seats themselves so they didn't need anything else from the car.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I had that happen a few times in a 5.4L F-150 I was manually shifting when I was a stupid kid. If I waited until the last 500 RPM to shift it would just sit there and make weird noises until I backed off the gas for a bit. Never had that happen on my Crown Vic or Thunderbird, even though in theory they're all using basically the same transmission (technically an AODE in the Crown Vic, but AODE vs. 4R70W isn't really a huge difference).

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Splizwarf posted:

:stonk: There was a wagon version of my first car? Holy poo poo, hello craigslist.

Not only that, but the tailgate can either swing down or out.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I think the spare goes on it.

Yup, definitely right on that hook thing.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I'd put more effort in to checking your existing grounds. If you have a bad ground somewhere, adding another one might even make the problem worse unless you accidentally end up putting the new one basically where the bad one is.

Crown Vics are possibly the most documented vehicle on the face of the earth from a radio and RFI standpoint, I'd pull up one of the radio/police equipment upfitter guides that are all over the internet and check out their troubleshooting steps.

Since the problem is specific to radio reception I'd suspect the problem is in the antenna assembly or the receiver itself. I forget which antenna '98s have but if it's the fender one it could be loose in its mounts. The cable could also be damaged. If you have access to another vehicle you can easily get the dash apart in maybe try swapping the receiver around and see if the problem follows it.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
RCR's Marauder video is worth a double post, isn't it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTJq7WU0VdU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Hah, I had just watched your car's episode the other day after hearing him on The Smoking Tire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZtvtWUoI80

edit: aaand I'm searching CL for Town Cars again. I miss having a Panther and my Fiesta is the opposite of a good highway cruiser.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Oct 16, 2017

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
How common are the extended wheelbase models in the US? IIRC the Crown Vic "P70" was fleet-only outside of the Middle East, but at least based on wiki it sounds like the Town Car L may have been sold through dealers. Is that true?

Also have any of you messed with your factory ECU? Back when I had my '93 I was considering Megasquirting it, but it looks the newer models have a powerful enough ECU that's been hacked to a point that it's not worth it to go standalone. That's also nice because I live in an emissions county, so anything with OBD-2 needs to pass a plug test. I have my warranteed daily driver, if I buy another car I'm probably going to tinker with it a lot.

Seems like SCT and HPTuners support the newer ones while some of the old names from EEC-IV have moved up to support the EEC-V cars.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Random misfires was definitely the coils on my '93. Mine was a bit simpler to diagnose though because it happened immediately after driving through a huge puddle at a somewhat excessive speed.

That was 11 year old EDIS coils though, so it was sort of expected.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Achtane posted:

I know that there are various lowering springs out there, but does anyone know of any that would impart a slight lift? I've read that the Moog springs can do this, but i was wondering if there was another option, like grabbing some from an F150 or something.

I believe the P71 springs are slightly taller than the civilian varieties.

There was a guy on CVN way back when that went by "SUVic" and had DIYed his own lift setup to clear some mild all-terrain tires, I'll see if I can find details.

edit: http://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=780812

No pics but he does mention the spring specs.

edit2:

The older one on the left.

Your GM is the newer appearance but it's still pretty much the same car underneath. IIRC the chassis/suspension update was '03.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Oct 28, 2017

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Both of my 4.6s were 2 coil packs of 4. Packs were split feeding plugs on each side
That's the EDIS-8 system (which was just double an EDIS-4 setup). Later cars switched to coil-on-plug. I want to say that happened in '98 with the whale body but it might have been later. I'm about 85% sure the aero body never had CoP.

I agree with moving a coil around to see what happens. It's easy and can't hurt anything.

O_O not if I get to it first. Not joking, if I wasn't currently floating the cost of a friend's bachelor party I'd be going to take a look at that tomorrow, and honestly I still might.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
If you don't want to look like a cop while driving a Crown Vic, not having one in common cop colors is a good start. Don't have push bumpers, antennas, or any kind of aftermarket lighting.

If you're the kind of person to do unusual paint colors, big decals, bumper stickers, etc. that would also help, as would a loud exhaust, but that sort of stuff isn't for everybody.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

64bit_Dophins posted:

Does anyone know anything about the "presidential" trim package for the early 2000s Towncars?

Hadn't heard of those before so I did a bit of searching and it seems like it's a dealer-installed add-on rather than anything factory. I haven't been able to nail down exactly what it adds but it's apparently nothing functional, just an appearance package.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

J Corp posted:

I bought a 2003 Mercury Marauder a few months ago about a week before going overseas for work. The rear end needs a rebuild and I'm going to be home in another few weeks so I'm starting to look into parts. Planning on putting 4.10's in it while it's apart, then a tune and exhaust after the rear end is sorted out. Is it worth upgrading to 31 spline axles since the spider gears are hosed up anyhow and need to be replaced or will I be fine with the stock 28 spline axles?

Looking at a few Mustang forums the general conclusion seems to be that the people breaking axles are mostly on slicks and either have manual transmissions or transbrakes that let them produce serious shock loads. If you're going to stick with the automatic and run street tires you probably don't need to worry about it.

That said, it looks like the axle shafts aren't all that expensive so depending on how much you're putting in to the center section it might be basically a "why not?" situation where you don't really need it but if you're already in there you may as well make it as good as you can and feel free to hoon the gently caress out of it without concern.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

J Corp posted:

That's kinda what I was thinking, though I'm having a little bit of trouble figuring out whether I can just replace the stock spider gears with 31's in the current carrier or if I would need a new carrier as well. Anybody know the answer to this? I'm also assuming like you said that without drastically increasing power (like with a supercharger), I'd probably be fine running stock axles. It's really a cost/benefit thing. If it's only slightly more to upgrade I don't see why not, but if it's going to be an extra $500+ dollars and it won't make a difference, why bother?

It does seem like the entire carrier needs to be replaced, not just the spiders. All you keep are the tube and the outer bearings.

The question I guess would be if the spider gears are hosed is the limited slip as well? The more parts you have to replace the easier it gets to justify, especially if you're considering meaningful power upgrades at some point in the future. The actual cost difference seems to be almost negligible between 28 and 31 spline bits, it's just a matter of how many good parts you'd be throwing away.

If you're not planning to add boost or go to a manual transmission it's almost certainly pointless.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Fender Anarchist posted:

That's what I was told over the phone by the shop I dropped it at. At this point, I've resolved to take it home (on Monday because I hosed up and forgot the shop closes at 4 on Saturdays) and just look at it myself.

FWIW though cycling OD on and off made no difference, would not maintain speed or transmit any power above 40. Even if it's OD it should shift back to a lower gear when I gun the throttle, no? At highway speeds it was hunting but never going into any gear, whether feathering the gas or flooring it, or anywhere in between.

We had this behavior once in an E-350 with the E4OD, speedometer flipping out and the transmission would jump out of gear and otherwise misbehave. Ended up being a corroded wire on the VSS (likely from driving it on Daytona Beach a bunch) which we only found out after having the transmission entirely replaced and having the problem come back 15 miles down the road.

Not sure how applicable that is to the 4R70W, but I'd definitely be very sure the VSS is actually working properly before committing to major transmission work in any Ford.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

J Corp posted:

Does anyone know which wire on the radio harness dims the display when the lights come on? The headunit I ordered is plug and play except for whatever reason that wire is off on it's own instead of in the plug.
http://www.pantherbb.com/p71interceptor/radio/index.html

Scroll until you find your model year.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

SimonCat posted:

Quick question, on later model Grand Marquis how does traction control function versus a Limited Slip Differential?

On all the Panthers I've driven the TCS has been incredibly invasive, but all of my experience is with older models. I'd assume the later models with throttle-by-wire can do a lot better since those can cut throttle rather than just trying to control wheelspin with the ABS system.

In any case a LSD is always better than traction control on a RWD vehicle.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Darchangel posted:

Plastic doesn't belong anywhere near a cooling system.

One of the few things that brings together car communities of all sorts, hating on the assholes who put plastic where it doesn't belong.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Darchangel posted:

BMW made a loving meme out of it.

There's an E46 in my driveway that's amazingly near 150,000 miles on the original cooling system. I've been prepared to replace it the while time I've owned the car but so far it's been good.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Darchangel posted:

Well, now you've done it, tempting fate like that.

Nah, the starter solenoid failed a few years ago and because of it's location on a slanted-over inline six I've been too lazy to take the car apart enough to actually repair it. Now it's Shrodinger's GDCS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Darchangel posted:

Not really a horrible choice per se, but an early '90s Panther will have the 302, and maybe throttle body injection depending on exact year, so may not be the most efficient. Not that the port-inject 4.6 is a gas miser. Just something to be aware of. Still sledgehammer simple, and generally easy to fix and maintain, if that's your concern. Lots of parts availability. Certainly not the worst car, just big and dumb, but generally reliable, basically.
Depends on what they mean by "early '90s", but I generally assume that means the '90/92-97 aero cars rather than the last of the '80s-era box bodies. The boxes were all Windsor V8s, the '91 351 models being the last American cars sold with a carburetor, but the aero bodies were all modular aside from the '90 Town Car.

Nebakenezzer posted:

Second: I've been panther curious for many years, and I've lately began to wonder if there are any other cars that would scratch that itch. Namely the RWD Dodges. Are they a worthy substitute or a pile of problematic poo poo compared to the Panther?
I have family in law enforcement and they tell me that the Dodges are the most fun to drive but apparently at least the 5 speed transmissions don't hold up. Not sure if the 8 speed models are different, one of my family members retired before they came out and the other's department was switching to an exclusively Ford fleet.

That always disappointed me because I kinda want to pick up an ex-cop model and do this to it: https://www.smythkitcars.com/charger-ute

wolrah fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Oct 23, 2019