Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Anything you add to whiskey outside of ice cubes is a travesty.

I like the lofty, applies-to-everything ideals of next, but as it gets play tested, it becomes restricted. That said, I've read through the playtest package, but most of my information on Next comes from months old podcasts. I think expertise dice is a cool idea, and the stuff you can do with them is versatile. Is that a fighter only gimmick?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

IIRC, you could save on expertise die for a parry (roll = bonus to AC) and save the rest for damage, rather than using it for all or nothing

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Kai Tave posted:

Hamburgers

I cook mine on medium-high heat, then throw some water in under a lid, and cook it to 60% done on one side. Flip, repeat cover, cook less.

You need a fattier chuck to do this, and if you have lean ground, consider adding olive oil and cooking on high with no lid.

Either one works for me.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Winson_Paine posted:

I make my own ginger ale. It will make you weep with joy.

You lie! How is this possible?

On the other topic, I always preferred rolling a single die for resolution, and never cared much for modifiers. But for damage? I want to roll ALL THE DICE

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I'm a huge fan of Jameson, and a pint will run you about $12-14 in Michigan. It's smooth and according to my gf, mixes well with ginger ale. (Don't mix it with anything).

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Ulta posted:

I have three points, in order of importance.

I have been invited to a bonfire for "deserts and cordials." Is scotch a cordial?

I'd highly recommend a drink called 'Rum Chata', an alcoholic drink based on horchata. It is an abosolutely delicious dessert liqueur, and it tastes like cinnamon toast crunch. It fits both "dessert" and "cordial". I'd recommend bringing two fifths though; one for you, and one for everyone else.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Is anyone actually considering buying the game, or has that been assumed to be a forgone conclusion? I don't
imagine that I will, and this thread seems to indicate that most won't, but has anyone been rubbed the right way?

D&D has always been, at best, a clunky, combat heavy game, and that's my main issue with it. It appears the new edition isn't doing anything to remedy this. As some have already stated, they're just adding old components to a bucket and selling it like its new. I would feel more compelled to actually purchase if they actually made a new system.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

SilverMike posted:

I apologize for getting off Next here, but have you tried non-D&D systems with less emphasis on dice and number crunching and if so, what do you think of them in relation to the reasons you're quoting for Next vs. 4E?

Who are you addressing?

E: ahh, never mind.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

AlphaDog posted:

What is a good meat dish to eat with Bock?

What defines the feel of D&D?

I believe one of these questions can be answered.

The feel of d&d to me was always just STR CON DEX INT WIS CHA.

Keep that, and I'll consider it d&d.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Kai Tave posted:

Which is funny given all the "DEATH TO ABILITY SCORES" I see in tradgames.

Ability scores may not be the best way to deal with how to mechanically plot a character in an rpg, but honestly, d&d isn't the best rpg. Those stats, with their inherent problems and missteps, convey everything about d&d, including its problems and missteps.

Given that there are shortcomings with abilities, and the seemingly best way to deal with those shortcomings would be to abandon ability scores, raises the issue that without them, (for me at least), it wouldn't feel like D&D. I guess that it just means you can't make a "perfect" rpg out of D&D (provided of course, that you could hit the asymptote of a "perfect rpg")

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

ImpactVector posted:

Not really saying this to pick on you dude, but Christ what a low bar. If you're going to spend a bunch of time/money to make an RPG, why wouldn't you try to avoid problematic mechanics/implementations so you can make the best one you know how?

I have no idea how I could construe that as picking on me, so no worries.

Is the low bar you're referring to the inclusion of the six base stats (to define it as D&D)? I guess we just get back to the question of "what makes D&D D&D?". I threw stats out there, because that captures the feel for me, not as a means to say that it does for everyone else.

So what characteristic would need to be retained for TG to consider it D&D?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

ImpactVector posted:

It was mostly this bit that set me off:

You've basically already given up on making a good game right there when you set the bar that low. Why can't it be the best RPG? They've probably got the biggest team and the most money out of any RPG company in the entire industry. They're a bunch of people whose actual day job is sitting around designing games. There aren't many game companies that can say that these days. They've got everything going for them except their need to cater to their own legacy.

In the end what it boils down to is that I don't want to have anything to do with a game that doesn't try to be the best at whatever I'm looking to do. There are so many great games out there and our time for gaming is limited enough that it doesn't make any sense to me to settle for less.

But that's the problem right there (in bold). If they scrapped everything and built a new system, dropped classes, abilities, leveling, the six scores, and the d20, they wouldn't be making D&D, would they?

As a more direct reply to your post, I don't think that the Next design team freely concedes that it's not the best rpg, so it shouldn't be an issue for them to make the new best.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Jimbozig posted:

If WotC makes a new D&D that has all new mechanics but keeps the same iconic kinds of characters, monsters, and dungeons, then it would still be D&D. Sure some grognards would claim otherwise but they are wrong.

I guess I have to ask whether dungeon world is D&D by your definition.

I honestly feel very weakly about any of the points that I've made, and you won't hear me defend them very strongly. I'm mostly throwing in devils advocate discussion points because I like hearing what everyone else has to say about the topics.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Jimbozig posted:

No. And neither is pathfinder. If Nintendo made a game about orcs and humans and undead fighting, it wouldn't be warcraft. The fact that it's being made by the owners of the IP is important. Burger king is like McDonald's, but it's not McDonald's. There may be burger joints that do McDonald's thing better than McDonald's itself does. Some people think Dungeon World is better than D&D at its own game and that's perfectly fine. If it was made by WotC and WotC slapped a D&D label on it, it would totally be D&D.

It's perfectly valid to ask what makes a good burger or what makes a good fantasy RPG, but asking what makes a McDonald's burger like it's something that can never change is silly. Should they keep adding "pink goo" to their burgers for legacy reasons?

Bravo, sir. This is an exemplary response.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Ulta posted:

He puts ketchup on eggs, showing he is the true barbarian.

I have more than one friend who puts ketchup on goddamn everything. Eggs, potatoes, sandwiches, you name it.

Conversely, I have other friends who do the same thing with Sriracha. The two groups see eye to eye on nothing concerning condiments, but they love putting a red sauce on everything edible. Sriracha group won't put ketchup on stuff, and the ketchup group won't venture to the land of the spicy cock.

I'm grasping desperately for a D&D reference, but I can't make my brain function right now.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Mendrian posted:

If social rolls had a more nuanced effect, it wouldn't be as big of a deal. If you could break down social rolls into a series of discrete "points" through RPing, that would be pretty seamless, but it's the road that Exalted 2E's "Social Combat" system went down. And that was a complete failure.

Feel free to correct me on this, but couldn't the skill check (bluff, diplomacy, whatever next is using) result indicate the response to said social interaction? You can make an impassioned speech, but if you fail the roll, they don't buy everything you're selling. It wouldn't have to be binary, and partial successes could still work.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I guess I'd have to ask, "How much responsibility does the game system, as opposed to the gm, bear for treating a non binary situation with a binary response?"

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I've used the coffee maker to those ends. No need to leave a kettle on the stove, and no chance of burning water. Just put water in it without coffee or a filter and bam, a coffee pot full of hot water.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

FactsAreUseless posted:

I've been thinking about making cabbage pancakes in chickpea batter, and I'm wondering a. what I should spice the batter with and b. what I should make on the side. Right now I'm thinking something Indian-themed: garam masala in the batter, and top the pancakes with lentil dahl. But the cabbage is going to be a little sweet, so I'm not sure if that will clash. I've never really mixed cabbage and Indian before.

I've often found that the best compliment to chickpeas is more chickpeas. Try hummus with pita or falafel. You can't go wrong with more chickpeas.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Mikan posted:

New Q&A.

Caster level, whatever, some stuff about multiclassing. I'm not sure if I'm reading question three right but I think it's saying you should just start at level 3 and make it take three levels of experience to reach level 4? That's silly.

From what it says, I think they're having you slide the whole xp scale down three levels. So you'd hit level 4 at the same xp goal as level 2, and so on.

E: but on re-reading, maybe not... This is a poorly worded response. It could be that you adventure until you earn enough xp to go from level 3 to level 4, but I don't get what they mean by "extra time"

Dr. Lunchables fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Apr 12, 2013

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

So if I've got this straight, you adventure for the amount of time it would take you to reach level 4, but don't actually go up in level until you reach the xp bank for 4. Instead you have all the benefits of being level 3, but it takes forever to gain the first level?

This whole "start at 3" thing is taking a really weird turn in terms of game design. Throws the whole semi linearity of level progression out the window.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Splicer posted:

Why yes Gamma World 4E IS a good system!

Speaking of Gamma World, I thought the way they introduced Feats in the Legion of Gold expansion was handled well. You picked a Vocation at 4th level that gave you access to a three tiered feat tree (gaining feats at 4th, 7th and 10th). You gain the first feat immediately, and most gave you a bonus to Skill checks. Level 2 feat was more like a utility power, static and beneficial with little interaction. Level 3 feats were obviously the best of the bunch, granting you better crits and damage, along with some other niche stuff. You need the previous level to go up a tier. You could choose to take a different level 1 instead of level 2 if you felt like it.

It added more role play because the feats were automatically tied to a vocation. It cut down on bloat because the feats were limited and comparable within a theme. The best part about all of this? Feats were an optional rule (a "module" if you will) to be added, rather than implicitly "there". The whole feat section takes 9 pages. If they approached feats in this manner, they could probably put the whole rule set out for $10-15.

They also solved the "non-issue" of rolled stats, as mentioned, and I think they should stick with that for Next (thought I doubt they ever would). Wizards INT=18 and so on. You can roll your non essentials however you'd like.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

So in the interest of branching out, I am thinking of trying new whiskeys. My girlfriend picked me up a copy of 'Whisky Advocate', a huge (large dimensions) quarterly magazine detailing new trends, distillers, old classics and the like. It has a list of awards for the year in this issue, with the Artisan Whiskey of the year going to Corsair Small Batch Triple Smoke. The American Whiskey of the Year is Four Roses 2012 LE Small Batch.

What I'm wondering is, does the Next thread have any recommendations for particularly tasty whiskeys between the range of $35-$80 USD. My fallback is always Jameson, a whiskey I thoroughly enjoy, as well as its 12 year cousin. I like a rich, smooth whiskey with subtle undertones. Anything you've tasted that fits this criteria? Scotch and Bourbon is acceptable too, but bourbon has always been a low hanging fruit for me, and I tend to avoid it.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Accursed posted:

For smooth and subtle, I always fall back to the Balvenie 12 year Doublewood. It's a single-malt Speyside.

This sounds like exactly what I'm going for. What's the price range?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

So which are which? Bottom right is American Pops, right?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

My girlfriend made pudding shots, and I highly recommend them.

Ingredients
    1 cup milk

1/2 cup Irish cream liqueur (eg. Bailey's®)

1/2 cup vodka (eg. Smirnoff®)

1 (4 serving size) package instant chocolate pudding mix

Whisk together the milk, Irish cream liqueur, vodka, and instant pudding mix in a bowl until combined. Continue whisking for 2 minutes.
Spoon the pudding mixture into shot glasses or disposable 'party shot' cups. Chill until set, about 30 minutes. The shots will have the consistency of mousse.

That's the quick and dirty way. We made cookies and cream pudding shots with vanilla vodka, added crushed Oreos, then froze them. The whipped cream gives it the consistency of ice cream. We also made mudslide ones with Kahlua.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Arivia posted:

edit: Someone also tell me how good/bad The Kraken is. I want to get some but I'm not sure if it's worth buying.

If youre talking about rum, I would recommend buying a bottle. It's not terrible or overpriced.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I got my copy (with map) for like twelve bucks through Craigslist. A guy was selling a bunch of 4e books, and I got an armful for super cheap. You can still find deals out there.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

The Cleric strength domain does absolutely no damage, only allowing the use of heavy/martial weapons. It appears you have a misunderstanding of what it actually does at baseline.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Put cashews in your chili. Make a D&D analogy.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

In Michigan we've got a billion tiny little Coneys that sell Coney dogs: hot dog, onions, mustard, chili. It's a coney dog.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Payndz posted:

I'm honestly a bit surprised that WotC haven't tried to put some sort of card-related mechanic into D&D by now. Getting people to buy $30 splatbooks on a regular basis? Hard. Getting them to buy $5* card decks on a regular basis? A lot easier, surely, and probably more profitable too. Next would have been the ideal time to commit to something like that.

(*I have no idea how much Magic decks cost.)

They used a card based mechanic in the most recent Gamma World, including a base set in the box and random booster decks. The Internet exploded with vitriol, despite the fact that boosters were not needed to play the game.

(There were other issues with the booster set idea, but that's best left to the gamma world thread.)

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I've played it with a friend. Works well enough for what it is. The game is functional, but I never did any stress testing. It's handy as a bridge between D&D properties. You can use the minis and tiles to spice up the board games (theyve got appropriate cards for each). I, like most people I imagine, just used the minis as a game aid for D&D though.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Jameson on the rocks, Glenlivet for scotch purposes. A couple local distilleries have opened in the past few years, and I've had good experiences with local ryes and whiskey blends. Grand Traverse, in particular, makes a tasty Rye, though it's got sharp edges on it.

If you have to mix anything with your whiskey, try looking for a local soda companies' ginger ale.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Woo! Diabetes party!

I'd recommend buffalo trace for a good Kentucky bourbon, though I'm less versed in bourbon than whiskeys.

As far as beer goes, in the spring/summer magic hat makes an elderberry Weiss called elderbetty that is delicious, though a little on the sweet side.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

In my years of experience with pork roasts, apples contribute a texture, but very little flavor. Brown sugar and apples allow a little bit more of the sweetness to flavor the roast, and you get that amazing bite with the texture of apples, the sweetness of brown sugar and the savoriness of delicious pork.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I AM THE MOON, you're my favorite poster in this whole drat thread. Please never stop posting recipes.

Any ideas on how to spice up lobster? Not looking for a bisque or just plain tails, but something that adds and complements the item as a main course.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I've explained to new players that it helps to think of AC as armor training. Knowing how and where to absorb blows with your armor so that you don't get your poop knocked out, and it makes some kind of abstract sense for the fighter to have more training with it than a wizard.

I think adding more stats (DR) is a neat idea in theory, but isn't the best solution to a problem that doesn't really exist. Damage on a miss, though, implies that AC is damage reduction, and it would be interesting to see it applied not just to PCs, but also monsters. Though that's probably best left to house ruling, as a "degrees of success" resolution system would have to be implemented for combat.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Beer & onions

E: and sauerkraut!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Probably the corn starch bonds unravel outward, preventing egg protein chains. The oil may also act as a surfactant, forming little egg micelles that hang out on their own.

Dr. Lunchables fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Feb 22, 2014

• Locked thread